Votes: 4 21.1%
  • It doesn't concern me in my belief

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
thomas from another thread said:
so perhaps in heaven, all will be of the one Mystical Body
That's what I'm talking about. Omnipresence. Like my little toe is part of me, I am part of G!d. As you can't seperate the wave from the ocean we can't seperate humanity from G!d. We and the Father are one. Today, no waiting for heaven, just understanding.

So when Jesus said it, he was referring to polytheism?
No, he was referring to the demi gods (the fallen) who had conveniently placed themselves in positions of godlike power over the neighbors of the Hebrews. Hence the point "gods" as in little gods, above man but below the supreme being, created not omnipresent, omniscient, nor omnipotent.
Indeed, Jacob wrestled one such being to a standstill, and held him all night, despite a dislocated hip...not so much above man I suspect.

No, he was referring to the demi gods (the fallen) who had conveniently placed themselves in positions of godlike power over the neighbors of the Hebrews. Hence the point "gods" as in little gods, above man but below the supreme being, created not omnipresent, omniscient, nor omnipotent.
Indeed, Jacob wrestled one such being to a standstill, and held him all night, despite a dislocated hip...not so much above man I suspect.
It sure doesn't look like Jesus is referring to any demigods...looks like to me he is referring to the prophets. And you think Jacob was wrestling a demigod at the river? Interesting interpretation.

John10

31Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"
33"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." 34Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'[e]? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— 36what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

It sure doesn't look like Jesus is referring to any demigods...looks like to me he is referring to the prophets. And you think Jacob was wrestling a demigod at the river? Interesting interpretation.
To anyone who knew not God, an angel would be a powerful persuasion towards divinity...

Two "known" races. Human and Angelic. Unlike gods, man has beaten angels, and been beaten by angels.

Man nor angel has ever beaten "God"...unless you know something the rest of us don't?

Thomas said:
Whoa! That's a personal opinion, and one that I and many others do not share. The lives of the saints are a witness to His presence. Consider rather that Jesus is your center ...
Of course right now it is just my little opinion, and on the low to high scale my opinion impacts very few while the opinion of religious authorities or traditions currently impacts very many; but soon the impacts of each will be the same. It is because "Every valley will be raised up, every mountain and hill made low," because "The wisdom of the wise will perish," and because it is human wisdom that says a tradition could preserve truth, righteousness, love, or wisdom. In my tiny opinion (which represents the valley) it is God's intent to publicly repudiate this wisdom (representing the mountains). Perhaps this is what really bothered people most people about John the Baptist's preaching, and why he was persecuted. Anyway, it doesn't matter if some religious authorities insist upon trinity, especially now that their opinion is being brought down and made equal with any common man's.

Of course right now it is just my little opinion, and on the low to high scale my opinion impacts very few while the opinion of religious authorities or traditions currently impacts very many; but soon the impacts of each will be the same. It is because "Every valley will be raised up, every mountain and hill made low," because "The wisdom of the wise will perish," and because it is human wisdom that says a tradition could preserve truth, righteousness, love, or wisdom. In my tiny opinion (which represents the valley) it is God's intent to publicly repudiate this wisdom (representing the mountains). Perhaps this is what really bothered people most people about John the Baptist's preaching, and why he was persecuted. Anyway, it doesn't matter if some religious authorities insist upon trinity, especially now that their opinion is being brought down and made equal with any common man's.
uh, Jesus also spoke of the Saints...remember? So your opinion will refute his statement of apparent fact? I seriously have doubts about that.

To anyone who knew not God, an angel would be a powerful persuasion towards divinity...

Two "known" races. Human and Angelic. Unlike gods, man has beaten angels, and been beaten by angels.

Man nor angel has ever beaten "God"...unless you know something the rest of us don't?
While there are many interpretations of Jacob's wrestling match, I've just never heard of the demigod one. I think he was wrestling with himself, it was an argument in his mind.

I still don't see Jesus referring to any demigods when he was challenged either, I'd love to hear more about both.

While there are many interpretations of Jacob's wrestling match, I've just never heard of the demigod one. I think he was wrestling with himself, it was an argument in his mind.

I still don't see Jesus referring to any demigods when he was challenged either, I'd love to hear more about both.
Not what the Bible says wil. It says he wrestled with an angel of the Lord, until the morning light. That is pretty specific.

I don't worry about your seeing anything in the Christian forum. You just like to spelunk and see what pops up. I find it amusing.

v/r

Q

Matt 13:24-30
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”​

The tares were to be allowed to grow with the wheat, to avoid uprooting the wheat....

Hi Wil —
That's what I'm talking about. Omnipresence.
But that is God's not ours ... and it is obvious that God's omnipresence does not preserve man from evil, or pursuing the path of his own extinction.

Like my little toe is part of me, I am part of G!d.
No. That's metaphysically and philosophically unsound. In a Christian sense you once again confuse nature and grace and claim as your by right what is given as a gift ... pride again ... your toe is part of your human nature. God is not part of human nature.

Your doctrine is pantheism, or panentheism, but it is not Christian. You are of this world, Christ is not, and God is not. God made the world, but the world is not God, which is what you're saying. God is utterly other than the world, and distinct from it. If the whole created Kosmos ceased to exist, God would not be altered by one iota.

As you can't seperate the wave from the ocean we can't seperate humanity from G!d.
See above. You can't separate the wave because the 'wave' is just a movement of the 'ocean' — but humanity is not a property of the Deity.

We and the Father are one. Today, no waiting for heaven, just understanding.
Well patently not, because if that were so we would be fully conscious in the Beatific Vision ... but as we are still bound by darkness, still this side of the veil, then if you believe what you say, you have a very low expectation of heaven.

As Scripture says, Jesus Christ and the Father are one — but He is from above, we are from below; He is not of this world, we are ... and it is His prayer that we also might be one with them ... but that is obviously not a given, but dependent upon what we do with what we're given.

And reinterpreting it to suit ourselves is not acceptable.

And surely the supreme point is not that we understand that we should love God and our neighbour, but that we should ... the difference is in knowing what to do, and doing it.

Thomas

And reinterpreting it to suit ourselves is not acceptable.
Reinterpretting is what we do well. Hence the ability for the your denomination to reinterpret the commandment regarding idols, kissing medals and statues etc.

If that is your acceptable interpretation, I have no issues with it. Again this is what continues to bother me. That your interpretation is ok, worshipping Mary and all, but any of my interpretation or that of others is wrong.
Q said:
Q said:
Not what the Bible says wil. It says he wrestled with an angel of the Lord, until the morning light. That is pretty specific.
The bible is specific, it says man, yet no one else was there, this is Jacob's story and he says the man says he struggled with G!d and won and got a name change for it. He also then claims to have seen G!d face to face.
So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." The man asked him, "What is your name?" "Jacob," he answered. Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome." Jacob said, "Please tell me your name." But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared." The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip. (Genesis 32:24-31)
Now you first tell me demigod, not much more than a man, then angel of G!d, I don't know the bible version you are using. I still say the struggle was a metaphor, an internal struggle for his own nature and understanding, and after overcoming it he was a changed man...a new name.

No spelunking here, just mining for gold.

Hi Wil —
wil said:
That's what I'm talking about. Omnipresence.

But that is God's not ours ... and it is obvious that God's omnipresence does not preserve man from evil, or pursuing the path of his own extinction....

Your doctrine is pantheism, or panentheism, but it is not Christian. You are of this world, Christ is not, and God is not. God made the world, but the world is not God, which is what you're saying. God is utterly other than the world, and distinct from it. If the whole created Kosmos ceased to exist, God would not be altered by one iota....
Thomas
lol, I picture you reading my posts and holding your fingers in a cross. "You are not Christian, blasphemer." Well, I follow my teacher, my elder brother and wayshower Jesus the Christ. I just can't figure out what the heck omnipresent means to you? To me it is everywhere present. I'm present, indicating either I'm in G!d or G!d is in me, and my fingernail, and the tree, and the ocean wave. Everywhere doesn't mean other than this world...look neither high or low, the kingdom is in your midst brother!

lol, I picture you reading my posts and holding your fingers in a cross. "You are not Christian, blasphemer."
Actually, I'm shaking my head. You don't seem to see the point.

Well, I follow my teacher, my elder brother and wayshower Jesus the Christ.
Sadly, I don't think you do, as you exercise the option of selection, which is not following in any real or meaningful sense. You interpret the things He says in a way that suits yourself, and discreetly ignore those things He said which don't suit you.

I just can't figure out what the heck omnipresent means to you?
It does not mean that the presence of God in a person means that the person is God, which is the bit you can't seem to grasp.

People commit the most dreadful crimes in the name of God ... do you suppose He endorses those actions and renders them 'good' by His presence?

I just can't figure out how you can look at what's happening in the world and justify yourself on the grounds of God's omnipresence, without justifying everything else that's going on.

Thomas

Quahom said:
uh, Jesus also spoke of the Saints...remember? So your opinion will refute his statement of apparent fact? I seriously have doubts about that.
I am not attempting to refute statements Jesus made. What do you mean Quahom by mentioning Jesus mentioning saints? Like, what are you referring to?

Hi Wil —

Reinterpretting is what we do well.
Because some do well, does not mean all do well. I happen to thinbk thome whom you follow do it very badly.

Hence the ability for the your denomination to reinterpret the commandment regarding idols, kissing medals and statues etc.
Not that old saw — looks like you're scrabbling for an argument to me. As that argument was done and dusted generations ago, I won't even bother to rehearse it.

That man can see does not mean he understands what he sees.

Again this is what continues to bother me. That your interpretation is ok, worshipping Mary and all, but any of my interpretation or that of others is wrong.
That's because your ideas are founded on error. We don't worship Mary, but then I'm sure you know that ...

... the point is that 'my' interpretation has a history, a provenance, a lineage and a legitimacy founded on 2000 years of philosophy and metaphysical examination.

Modern liberal interpretations are founded on the principle of individual assertion ... you reject what has gone before on no firmer principle than "what I choose to believe is true, because I choose believe it."

Thus, you toss 2,000 years of teaching, preaching, mystical speculation and philosophical inquiry aside, and go with what happens to take your fancy.

What is fundamentally unphilosophical is that you choose to believe Jesus saves, whilst in the same breathe refuse the necessary metaphysical underpinning of the idea of universal salvation.

You reduce Jesus to a myth ... and then proclaim your faith in a fantasy.

Thomas

Back