Genetic Engineering and Health

flowperson

Oannes
Reaction score
These days we have been conditioned to believe that all genetic engineering is not a good thing for our healthy existence. Maybe so. This article seems to present a good case to the contrary.

Please post articles here involving your opinions/views on what influences genetic engineering may have upon our healthy lives. BTW, I wonder if you can still find purple carrots, Holland notwithstanding.

flow....;)

BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists unveil 'supercarrot'

These days we have been conditioned to believe that all genetic engineering is not a good thing for our healthy existence. Maybe so. This article seems to present a good case to the contrary.

Please post articles here involving your opinions/views on what influences genetic engineering may have upon our healthy lives. BTW, I wonder if you can still find purple carrots, Holland notwithstanding.

flow....;)

BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists unveil 'supercarrot'
I have one simple problem with genetic engineering.

You can't take it back.

We've made enough mistakes between silk worms and elm blight and snake heads and wiping out various species by introducing another. And this is simply by either intentionally or accidentally moving an item from one part of the globe to the other.

But when you play with the genes and make corn or soy beans that roundup (herbicide) can be sprayed on but it doesn't die. When you create a fungus that creates tryptophan and then kill a bunch of people causing tryptophan to be banned... Who knows what evil man can make in a lab. Bombs are bad enough, but elements that self replicate and then crowd out other species....

Some may not believe in G!d but they sure enjoy playing G!d...

Hi wil.

You're absolutely right. But having worked on the business/academia end of this stuff in the 80's when it was all getting started I'll say one thing. When the toothpaste is out of the tube you can't put it back.

But people/consumers may be educated on the good and bad of the process. However our media would rather educate us about the intricacies of Brittney's life rather than genetic polllution ( maybe there's a tie-in there also). For example, the lead scientist on some of the first soybean engineering projects was a white S. African National, and that was the time when apartheid was their national policy. I've thought a lot about those sorts of things over the years. She was an internationally published expert at the time, but I recently Googled her and can't find any reference to her work these days. Lots of that sort of thing out there IMHO.

The problem is that there is too much money involved now to take it back and hide it. EVERYONE now consumes genetically engineered food at some times in their lives since our illustrious protector of national health standards, the FDA, decided sometime ago that such foods don't need to be labelled as being engineered. And today, it was announced cloned food sources look to be approved for consumpption soon.

That commune back in the hills looks better and better to me. But where would one obtain engineering-free seeds now ? Or genetically clear animals for that matter ? Pollution takes many forms my brother, and it all needs to be rectified over time. But the reality is that there is more money to be made in creating it than there is in ameliorating and eliminating it .
Sickening but simple.

flow....:(

It is my understanding that the state in Mexico that keeps the original maize now says it is infected with monsanto ge corn genes.

I knew we were up against the wall at the USDA hearing on organic.

We wanted food to be labeled as GE, or fertilized with human waste, or irradiated, or hormoned, and they said. "If we label it the public won't buy it" and we said "DUH!!" We lost, now if it is labeled USDA organic it can have all of the above done to it.

They are from the gov't and they are here to protect us.

It sounds like a spy movie from the 70s. Just because we have this technology doesnt mean we should use it. (to me). I probably scare a little too easily about this. Ill stick to my fruit from the local farms and the veges that my neighbour grows (over the fence)LOL, . Yes it should be labelled if it is sold. But what they probably will do is make the products in competition to it more expensive so the demand will increase for the gm food. ( in my humble opinion). Home grown is best.

Back