How do you pray?

To me, the repentance prayer leads to prayer of commitment and dedication, which seems to be a kind of "intention ritual" or form of mindfulness that clarifies intention.
Your intention to do what you are doing for the love of God connects you with the divine presence in a powerful way. The power of intention is immense. The will willing God actually enters into union with God although you may not consciously experience the effects of this union right away.

The great insight of the early Desert Fathers and Mothers was that a pure intention leads to purity of heart; selfish motivation is gradually evacuated and the habit of a pure intention is firmly established. You begin to enter into God's intentionality, which is to manifest infinite compassion in the present circumstances, however painful, however joyful, however seemingly bereft of the divine presence.
~Father Keating

keating.jpg

I started praying again... About a month back? When I went into Islam.. I now do not pray. In the sense most would understand "prayer" I in a sense pray pretty much every second of my life... every moment in my existance... My mind speaks to me, I speak back... This is my prayer... So my answer now to how I pray, I pray from the heart to the mind.

"Jehovah is near to all those calling upon him," said the psalmist David. (Psalm 145:18)

so for mee ,it is a case of Draw close to God and he will draw close to mee.

Search for Jehovah, you people, while he may be found. Call to him while he proves to be near. Isaiah 55;6

As for Jehovah, he has looked down from heaven itself upon the sons of men,
To see whether there exists anyone having insight, anyone seeking Jehovah. psalm 14;2

I'm a "pray whenever & where-ever" person. I'll send up a quick "Thank you for keeping me from slapping that @#%$&!!!! supervisor (& letting me keep my job)" when I'm wandering between the settling basins at work, or "Thanks for letting us have Dad around" when I'm out somewhere with my dad (even when he's being particularly old-man annoying).

Don't knock me mis-quoting scripture of any kind, but I remember a bit about god looking on the heart... so if that's the case then a prayer doesn't need to be an elaborate formal event, but as little as a two second wish straight there.

Is there a time limit on sincerity?

Always thought god in whichever form we choose has a sense of humor too.:D

Don't knock me mis-quoting scripture of any kind, but I remember a bit about god looking on the heart... so if that's the case then a prayer doesn't need to be an elaborate formal event, but as little as a two second wish straight there.

:D Welcome to CR, Jasmine Moon. :D

How thankful we can be that the Creator of this vast universe is close to all who call upon him properly in prayer! (Psalm 145:18)

May we take full advantage of the precious privilege of prayer.
If we do, we will have the joyous prospect of drawing ever closer to Jehovah, the Hearer of prayer.

O Hearer of prayer, even to you people of all flesh will come.
Psalm 65:2.
psalm 83;18

My name is Darren I go under winner 08 I am brand new to the site I need some guidance. How to get around even post or read replys to my post.

darren

Who believes that God will save all of mankind not just the few? Also who believes there is no geological place called hell where God will send non believers? Now for the big one, who believes that we as humans do not have free will, that this is the biggest deception of all. Basically I just laid out a few of my beliefs.

Darren

I just seen the post how do we pray? I pray like I just talk to God about all things. Since I lived through Katrina and now Gustav and it looks like I might have to go through Ike. Well I give alot of thanks and praises.

Darren

My name is Darren I go under winner 08 I am brand new to the site I need some guidance. How to get around even post or read replys to my post.

darren

*enhales a deep breath* mmmmmm Gotta love that brand new smell!

Welcome to the forums Darren, For any help with running around this site you should perhaps look at this: Interfaith forums - FAQ If you have any questions remaining you should ask them in the Feedback area of the forums....

Also helps to be familiar with this: http://www.interfaith.org/forum/code-of-conduct-7047.html?vbseourl=code-of-conduct-7047.html

In regards to your quetion you should perhaps start a new thread about this? Or search to see if there are any current talks going on, as it isn't really suited for this thread which is about praying... Again welcome to the forums and may YHWH bless you. :)

Who believes that God will save all of mankind not just the few? Also who believes there is no geological place called hell where God will send non believers? Now for the big one, who believes that we as humans do not have free will, that this is the biggest deception of all. Basically I just laid out a few of my beliefs.

Darren

Hi winner08, welcome to Interfaith Online (we may call it "CR" sometimes out of habit, as we used to be Comparative Religion).

1. Belief that God will save all is called universalism, and it's 'frowned upon' by many Christians. I have strong universalist leanings, but because I do believe in free will, your point 3, I really think God leaves it finally up to us, so I can't really tie God's hands and think well, you must 'save' everyone!

2. I think that hell is distance from God, the more separation between you and God, the closer to hell. I believe that God is love, and when anyone loves they are close to God. Love takes practice, so perhaps there is a point somewhere when you can either recognize God, or not. :shrug: sorry if this does not make sense. :eek:

3. It's a paradox, but I've learned to be comfortable with paradox because, well, they just seem to be part of human experience! So yes, I believe we have free will.

4. To get back on topic, prayer takes many forms for me, including the frequent, through the days pleas for help and remembrances and thanksgivings. Sometimes I 'talk' to God (praise, intercessory prayers, prayers for forgiveness, thanksviging), sometimes (not often enough I suppose) I listen (contemplative prayer, like meditation).

Cheers,
luna

How do i pray,
I pray to the most high JEHOVAH PSALM 83;18 and when i pray i use his name , through Jesus christ his son.
Mt 6:9)

And Jehovah is the hearer of prayer, there was a time when i did not know that Gods name was Jehovah , but he does hear those who turn to him in prayer ,even if they dont use his name . but once we know that his name is JEHOVAH he wants us to turn to him in prayer and use his name JEHOVAH.
Jesus left us a model prayer ,not to say the same things over and over again , like they do in some churches, but the model prayer shows the importance of things.

and the first thing is to hallow Gods name

Jesus Christ valued his relationship with Jehovah very highly. Therefore, Jesus made time to talk to God in private prayer. (Mark 1:35; Luke 22:40-46) We do well to imitate Jesus’ example and pray to God on a regular basis. (Romans 12:12)

What may we include in our prayers so that Jehovah will be pleased to hear them?

Jesus Christ taught his disciples how to pray. In the model prayer recorded at Matthew 6:9-13,

he set out a pattern of subjects about which we may rightly pray.

What should be of chief concern in our prayers?

Jehovah God’s name and Kingdom must be the top priority.

Asking for our material needs is appropriate.
It is also important to ask for forgiveness of our sins and for deliverance from temptations and the wicked one, Satan the Devil.

Jesus did not want us to chant this prayer or to repeat it over and over, reciting it without thinking about its meaning. (Matthew 6:7)

What kind of relationship would it be if a child used the same words every time he spoke to his father?

HOW DO YOU PRAY ?

Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matt. 6:9b)

"Let your kingdom come." (Matt. 6:10a)

Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth." (Matt. 6:10b)
"Give us today our bread for this day." (Matt. 6:11)

And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." (Matt. 6:12)

Do not bring us into temptation." (Matt. 6:13a)

Deliver us from the wicked one." (Matt. 6:13b)

this is just a model that Jesus gave, it does not mean it has to be said over and over again like they do in church.

How do I pray.. let me count the ways.

Really I just have this ongoing conversation with Him for the most part.

Sometimes I have to 911 Him when I have an emergency or someone I know has an emergency.

Then there are times when I think of something I did that I know was wrong and then I ask for forgiveness. Those can be long self contemplation prayers also.

My mom is my prayer partner and she and I are a team and we use each other for agreement prayers on issues that need speedy answers or something needs to be done fast.

Then finally I have my praise and worship prayers those are the ones I love the most because they make me feel the best and can without doubt bring my spirits up when they are down.

Hi! I tend to pray when I'm lying in bed at night or in the early hours, but I also do informal prayers "in my head" at other times. I sometimes use The Lord's Prayer. I am interested in learning to meditate, also.
Paula.

I'm reading this book right now called "The Way We Pray" which breaks down prayer practices from all over the world. It also gives little tips after the summary of each practice for incorporating that practice into your prayer life. I've been looking at prayer differently lately, learning more, and trying new things. I especially like the idea of lighting a candle to represent your prayer and personal prayer altars, and I'm learning so many new and unusual ways I never would have considered.

So I'm curious, in your repective beliefs and individual truths, how do you pray\meditate\commune with the Divine?

Look at my avatar..

:D

Just jokin.
Never really had a style.
Learned to pray "church style"
I used to pray a lot.
Used many styles too.
I don’t really "pray" anymore.
I observe and follow the signs now.

For instance, if I'm in a situation that I don’t want to be in, I don’t pray about it. "Signs" help me to navigate through it. The signs are there for you to have many things that you pray for before you need to pray for it.

(Like if you "need" a new car, because the old one is just about to give out. You don’t have the funds to get another one and you make it a point to pray for one. Then one day you see someone broke down on the side of the road, but you don’t stop to help, because you figure that you could not help them, because your car is about to give out and you need to get home to pray for a new one, so when get home, you send a pray out for the person you saw on the side of the road and for yourself to have new cars, not realizing that the person you passed up had the perfect car for you, only if you had stopped.)

(Something needed that was about to be given to you without a prayer.)
;)

Hope that was not too confusing.

Mother to daughter, "Go up and say your prayers before you get in bed"

"Mom, what are prayers?"

"They are messages to G!d dear"

"Do we send them at night because the rates are lower?"

To say, pray and give 'daily thanks to your creator' is the most peace receiving thing you can do as a person.

To really sincerely mean it, is difficult but by daily practice, God willing, He will accept all my efforts.

Yes and it's not easy if you are in poorer conditions, in oppression or in bad health but we also pray for people in all difficulties and give 'thanks' on their behalf too.

It has helped me and my family enormously both physically and spiritually that it is difficult to really articulate. It is a feeling of connection and inner peace which runs through you like endless flowing energy removing any darkness for those moments.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back