What is the Christian perspective of Muhammed (pbuh)?

Ahanu it is pointless stating here what it says in the Quaran...As it says in the Bible Jesus was crucified.

What I would like to ask you though (and all Muslims reading this) is why was Jesus crucified in the Islam perspective? Because according to Christians he was crucified for claiming he was the Son of God (mostly).

I'll give my perspective on the crucifixion in hopes that it will serve as a bridge of understanding between Muslims and Christians... I believe Jesus was crucified but it didn't kill Him... and I need to clarify... I believe the crucifixion killed His body, not His soul.... His soul is eternal, and therefore He was not killed. The real Jesus, His essence, could never, ever be killed, hence where it says in the Qur'an that the Jews didn't kill Him. They killed merely His body, not Him.

Ahanu it is pointless stating here what it says in the Quaran...As it says in the Bible Jesus was crucified.

How so?! First I need to know who's interpretation of the Koran is correct. That is why I am asking why DB would think my interpretation is unacceptable, because DB said that God says in the Koran that Jesus did not die on the cross. Like the bible, I believe the Koran is concerned with spiritual matters. That is why I believe the Koran is simply saying that they did not crush the Christ spirit.

They killed merely His body, not Him.

Exactly. They killed Jesus' body but not His spirit. Surah 2:154 reminds me of the story of Elijah and Elisha, so when we apply this verse to verses in Surah 4, we can understand that it may have a different meaning. Read the following verses from the bible:

When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?"
"Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.

"You have asked a difficult thing," Elijah said, "yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise not."
As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. Elisha saw this and cried out, "My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!" And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them apart.
He picked up the cloak that had fallen from Elijah and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. Then he took the cloak that had fallen from him and struck the water with it. "Where now is the LORD, the God of Elijah?" he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.
The company of the prophets from Jericho, who were watching, said, "The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha." And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him. "Look," they said, "we your servants have fifty able men. Let them go and look for your master. Perhaps the Spirit of the LORD has picked him up and set him down on some mountain or in some valley."
"No," Elisha replied, "do not send them." But they persisted until he was too ashamed to refuse. So he said, "Send them." And they sent fifty men, who searched for three days but did not find him. When they returned to Elisha, who was staying in Jericho, he said to them, "Didn't I tell you not to go?"

For some reason I think of this story when reading Surah 2:154. It just makes sense to me that Muhammad was saying that Christ was crucified, yet Jesus' enemies did not succeed in crushing His spirit. Hey, I could be wrong. I am no expert, but not all Muslims agree that Christ's material body survived the crucifixion.

messianic muslims...
DB is faithful in his beliefs, but Ahanu points out a flaw or confilict of interest (within the Qu'ran). Something not for us to embelish on, but rather take note...wouldn't you say?

DB is faithful in his beliefs, but Ahanu points out a flaw or confilict of interest (within the Qu'ran). Something not for us to embelish on, but rather take note...wouldn't you say?

I'm curious. How is it a flaw or conflict to point out that the Qur'an is speaking in spiritual terms rather than literal terms. And that if one interprets the words spiritually rather than literally, there is no conflict in the Bible, rather a more profound spiritual truth. :)

I'm curious. How is it a flaw or conflict to point out that the Qur'an is speaking in spiritual terms rather than literal terms. And that if one interprets the words spiritually rather than literally, there is no conflict in the Bible, rather a more profound spiritual truth. :)
Well Sean, if the Qu'ran states Jesus was not killed, but then later states he was, I'd call that a conflict.

v/r

Q

A little mystery surrounding the wording of death or life is not singular to the Qur'an, is it? Jesus never died, and neither did Abraham, nor Isaac, nor did Jacob.

Matthew 22:29-32 Jesus answered and said unto them, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels of God in heaven. But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob?' God is NOT the God of the dead, but of the living."

If I am driving a car and the car gets wrecked, and I get a new car, have I died? If I live in a house, and the house is burned to the ground, so I go to live in a temple instead, have I died? Well then, in the mind of those who see that they are not that flesh, it is wrongful in a way to say that they will ever die:

John 16:28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

In the minds of those who killed, he was killed. In the minds of those who know differently, he was not killed. In his words, he go-e-d to the Father. And if that confuses you then so will this:

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

So then it seems more than a few have the beginnings and endings all wrong, or the comings and goings. Why fault the Qur'an for what is also in the Gospel? In the way that counts, Jesus never died.

messianic muslims...

That is misleading BlaznFattyz. Not even messianic muslims all believe the same thing. For this is a chance for the Baha'is to point out their differences with the Ahmadiyas. Ahmed Deedat is following the same theme as the Ahmadiyas. One group is wrong and the other group is right.

When someone experiences hypovolemic shock (lack of blood in the body)--as Jesus was from the flogging--and dies, a clear fluid forms a membrane around the lungs, and heart. John records Jesus being stabbed with a spear after he died to make sure he was dead and claimed seeing water and blood come out. He had no idea of fluid forming around the heart and lungs, he just recorded what he saw.
Draining the fluid may actually have helped. The first thing a doctor would want to do for his case would be to drain the fluid accumulation.
That blood was still flowing indicates that the heart had not yet stopped.

Jesus was on the cross for six hours. Prior to that His visage was removed from the scourging He received by the Roman Guards with the Cat 'o Nine tails whip (that means His skin was torn from his muscle to the point that He was not recognizable). He then was forced to carry a 250 lbs beam for several miles as He was continuosly beaten to move faster. In short, Jesus' energy and blood were whipped away from Him. Then He was pierced throu the wrist and ankle bones (where the arteries for the hands and feet lie). The spikes were made of rusty Iron, which introduced Ferrous oxide into Jesus' blood stream (highly toxic in concentrated doses). Compound that with the inability to fully inflate one's diaphrahm to get oxygen to freshen the little bit of blood that is left in the body...I think you'll understand why He died in hours instead of days. As was the custom, the Guards were about to break Jesus' leg bones so that He would die faster, when they discovered He was already dead.

Jews doubted everything. That is an opinion, not a fact.

Roman Guards were posted at the entrance of Jesus' tomb to keep all intruders out, under pain of death. Centurians of the Guard were known to disembowel any soldier that fell asleep on watch, and send the endtrails to the family...They let no one in to the tomb (of earthly nature).

Mary M. was forbidden from touching Jesus because the transfiguration was not yet complete. Jesus being incorruptable, could not have a corrupted human being, taint His transfiguration.

Remember, Jesus took on the sins of man, past, present and future. There was a lot of damage done to Him in the way of taking on man's sin. It was going to take awhile for Him to become pure and perfect in body.

Let's keep on exploring this avenue DB.

v/r

Q

Hello, brother Quahom

what can I say about what you wrote, but "oh! my dear, beloved Jesus. It deeply ached my heart to read about Jesus's suffering, and my eyes could do nothing about what i read but crying. oh! dear Jesus. May God gather us all with Jesus and all prophtes in heaven.

Suffering is a common feature among all prophets and good people becuse to get closer to God, and gain His pleasure and satisfaction, one has to strive. success isnot something easy.

In the following verse, God consolidates the prophet Muhammed with his suffering with the unbelievers and their persecution. Look deeply, Quahom, at what the verse says:" Rejected were the Apostles before thee: with patience and constancy they bore their rejection and their wrongs, until Our aid did reach them: there is none that can alter the Words (and Decrees) of God. Already hast thou received some account of those Apostles) (6:34)..

What do you think, brother Quahom? wouldnt God help Jesus, especially that he asked for rescue. Look at the following quotation from Ahmed Deedat's book Crucifixion or cruci-fiction:

JESUS PRAYS FOR RESCUE
". . . and began to be sorrowful and very depressed. Then saith he unto them, ‘my soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death' . . ."
"And he went a little further, and fell on his face (Exactly as the Muslim does in Salaat), and prayed, saying, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt."
(This is the quality of a good Muslim who submits his will to the will of God).
(HOLY BIBLE) Matthew 26: 37-39
"And being in an agony, he prayed more earnestly;

and his sweat was, as it were, great drops of blood falling down to the ground’’
(HOLY BIBLE) Luke 22:44
MESSIAH SOBS FOR HIS PEOPLE

Why all this bewailing and lamentation? Is he crying to save his skin? It would be highly cynical on his part to do that! Did he not advise others:
"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out . . . And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee; for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."
(HOLY BIBLE) Matthew 5:29-30
We would be doing Jesus a grave injustice if we thought that he was crying like a woman to save his body from physical harm. He was crying for his people — the Jews. They held a queer logic, that if they succeeded in killing any would-be Messiah (Christ), it would be a sure proof of his imposture. For God Almighty will never allow His truly "anointed one" (Christ) 1 to be killed — (Deuteronomy 18:20). Hence the insistence of the Jews as a people, as a whole, in rejecting Jesus, the son of Mary, as their promised Messiah — "The eternal rejection."

Actually, brother Quahom, this quotation may arise in you a lot of questions, and I am sure that you have a lot to reply on this.....there is a saying which says: "May God bless those who know their limits".....I know that my knowledge in this topis is modest in comparaison with you(as I feel)....that's why I will direct you to Ahmed Deedat's whole book Crucifixion or Cruci-fiction for more and very detailed and elaborated analysis. Deedat studied the Holy Bible deeply, and I am sure that with him, you will find answers to many questions of yours:

CRUCIFIXION CRUCI-FICTION --- By Ahmed Deedat

I have a request, brother. After readind the e-book(which is too long, but interesting...you wont feel the passing of time),please, brother, give me your comments on it. After all, Deedat was doing what we call jurisprudence...he was trying...he may be false in some points, and true in others....for the sake of knowing, and developing our knowledge...

Cordially,
sis, DB

Re: The traditional Muslim interpretation of Surah 4:157

DB, you said:

Could we not consider another interpretation of this vague passage?

Surah 4:155-158 (trans. Yusuf Ali)

Surah 2:154-157 (trans. Yusuf Ali)

In the Koran it is clearly stated that those who believe in Allah will not die. Even if they are killed. Likewise, Jesus was crucified, but it appeared to them (the Jews) that He was slain. So God hardened their hearts in allowing them to think that they succeeded in killing Jesus. DB, do you believe that I am perverting the text of the Koran by interpreting it in this way?

Hello, brother Ahanu

I feel your effort in interpreting the Quran by using some verses to explain others. I am not an expert.., but this is accepted since you didnt deviate from the Quran's teachings... your last interpretation is correct...it is something known, and not new....

But, excuse me brother if I tell you that I didnt get your point well...do you want to say that Jesus was crucified, but not died on the cross, but it so appeared to the Jews....if it is that, then it accords Muslims' belief...

As a matter of faith, A. Yusuf Ali says, explaining the different Muslims stand from Jesus 's crucifixion:" the Jews didnt kill Jesus, but God raised him up one school holds that Jesus didnt die the usual death, but still lives in the body in heaven: another holds that he did die but not when he was supposed to be crucified, and that his bein " raised up" unto God means that instead of being disgraced as a malefactor, as the Jews intended, he was on the contrary honoured by God as HIs apostle....."

for better understanding of Deedat's arguments, I refer you back to his e-book Crucifixion or cruci-fiction on the following site:

CRUCIFIXION CRUCI-FICTION --- By Ahmed Deedat

with my best wishes, brother Ahanu
sis, DB

When you're crucified, you hang there and your lungs are stuck in the inhale (or is it exhale?) position. You need to press up on your feet in order to breathe (tearing the flesh till the ankle/leg bones rest on the spike). Breaking the legs makes it so they can't do that and suffocate.

When someone experiences hypovolemic shock (lack of blood in the body)--as Jesus was from the flogging--and dies, a clear fluid forms a membrane around the lungs, and heart. John records Jesus being stabbed with a spear after he died to make sure he was dead and claimed seeing water and blood come out. He had no idea of fluid forming around the heart and lungs, he just recorded what he saw.

I don't understand why then Jesus let Thomas put his hand through the holes in his hands and in his side then o_O

Hello, Pico

The following site can be of great value to you if you want to know about Islam's stand from Jesus's crucfixion....I am lookin forward for your comments:

God bless you,
sis, DB

wouldnt God help Jesus, especially that he asked for rescue.
No, it is for this reason the Word of God came; to do the will of God the Father and die for our sins under the law as a man, thus becoming our saviour and high priest, and being resurrected from his humbled state back to a glorified state with the Father. Therefore, we now have salvation thru grace. of course these are all words spoken by God's prophets, which is not found in the quran, so you have to get it elsewhere.

But, excuse me brother if I tell you that I didnt get your point well...do you want to say that Jesus was crucified, but not died on the cross, but it so appeared to the Jews....if it is that, then it accords Muslims' belief...

Then, I do not agree with you and Ahmed Deedat's interpretation. It is rather strange that in the Koran God said: ". . .nor crucified him [Jesus]." To take this literally would say Jesus was not on the cross in the first place. That is why some Muslims during the medieval period were saying that Judas or somebody else was put on the cross in Christ Jesus' place. This is another reason why I find the story of Elijah and Elisha interesting. When you read the dialogue between Elisha and the prophets, it appears to them that Elijah is dead, and Elisha warns the prophets "not [to] send them [their servants]" to look for the master. God also said: "but they killed him not." Why aren't you applying your same literal methods of interpretation to the quote above? Taking this verse literally obviously means that He was not dead on the cross.

As a matter of faith, A. Yusuf Ali says, explaining the different Muslims stand from Jesus 's crucifixion:" the Jews didnt kill Jesus, but God raised him up one school holds that Jesus didnt die the usual death, but still lives in the body in heaven: another holds that he did die but not when he was supposed to be crucified, and that his bein " raised up" unto God means that instead of being disgraced as a malefactor, as the Jews intended, he was on the contrary honoured by God as HIs apostle....."

for better understanding of Deedat's arguments, I refer you back to his e-book Crucifixion or cruci-fiction on the following site:

I will be comparing Deedat's arguments with Lee Strobel's. I do not agree with everything Strobel says, but I one hundred percent agree that Christ died on the cross. I will let you know what I think of Deedat's material after I finish reading it.

What I would like to ask you though (and all Muslims reading this) is why was Jesus crucified in the Islam perspective?

I don't know now. I am confused. The Koran clearly says that they did not crucify Him! but if they did, then the Koran gives us the reason. . .

"they slew the Messengers in defiance of right; that they said, "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah's Word; We need no more)"

As Sean would say, to interpret these words spiritually would deliver a profound spiritual truth.

Then, I do not agree with you and Ahmed Deedat's interpretation. It is rather strange that in the Koran God said: ". . .nor crucified him [Jesus]." To take this literally would say Jesus was not on the cross in the first place. That is why some Muslims during the medieval period were saying that Judas or somebody else was put on the cross in Christ Jesus' place. This is another reason why I find the story of Elijah and Elisha interesting. When you read the dialogue between Elisha and the prophets, it appears to them that Elijah is dead, and Elisha warns the prophets "not [to] send them [their servants]" to look for the master. God also said: "but they killed him not." Why aren't you applying your same literal methods of interpretation to the quote above? Taking this verse literally obviously means that He was not dead on the cross.

I will be comparing Deedat's arguments with Lee Strobel's. I do not agree with everything Strobel says, but I one hundred percent agree that Christ died on the cross. I will let you know what I think of Deedat's material after I finish reading it.

I don't know now. I am confused. The Koran clearly says that they did not crucify Him! but if they did, then the Koran gives us the reason. . .

As Sean would say, to interpret these words spiritually would deliver a profound spiritual truth.

Hello, brother Ahanu,

I m so pleased to exchange views with you...you are motivating me to know more about the topic....thanks, brother.

Of course, brother, you are free in your beliefs if you believe that Jesus died on the cross....

As a Muslim, I dont believe in that because I believe in the Quran...a belief that goes with logic and reason....

you presented some arguments which seems to you contradictory, but actually they are not......let me explain to you what makes you confused:

1- you said the Quran says:"they crucified him not"....let me ask you a simple question, brother:"if someone was crucified, but didnt die on the cross. Can we say that he was crucified??? No, we cant....Can we??

2-The Quran says:"but so it was made to appear to them" the translation has two meanings: that they didnt crucify him, but it was so appeared to them. Another meaning: that the man who was crucified looked to them like Jesus.
the second meaning seems unlogic, because they easily could make sure of him by asking him himself. in addition that they knew Jesus so well...so the true meaning is that they were suspicious of Jesus's crucifixion(=his death on the cross)...

3-There is a group of Muslims that believe that Jesus was not put on the cross.This view doesnt contradicts the Islamic view. the essence is to submit that the Jews didnt succeed in crucifying Jesus(killing him by crucifixion).

I will be very delighted to recieve your comments on Deedat's arguments, brother

best wishes,
sis, DB

What I would like to ask you though (and all Muslims reading this) is why was Jesus crucified in the Islam perspective? Because according to Christians he was crucified for claiming he was the Son of God (mostly).

Hello, Azure 24

You asked about the reason behind Jews's "crucifixion" of Jesus in regards to Islam...well,brother, I will try to answer your question

we,Muslims,dont believe in the Original Sin( Adam an Eve's sin has ended up by God's forgiveness. God says:" then learnt Adam from his Lord Words of inspiration, and his Lord turned towards him; for He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful(2:37), the Trinity (God says:"Say: He is God, the One and Only;2 God, the eternal, Absolute; 3 He begetteth not, nor is He begotten 4 And there is none unto Him(112:1-4) and in Jesus's crucifixion(already stated) and the idea of salvation( God says:"..Every soul draws the meed of its acts on none but itself:no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another....(6:164)....

so, what's the Islamic perspective behind Jews's crucifixion of Jesus..through the Quran, God tells that all prophtes persecuted and threatened because their peolple didnt believe them...therefor, Jews crucified Jesus because they rejected him and his faith. look at the following Quranic verses:

1- " then will God say: " O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel. and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou brethest into it, and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. and behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Isreal from(violence to) thee when thou didst show them the Clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said:"this is nothing but evidence magic.(5:110)"

2-" that they rejected faith; and they uttered against Mary a grave false charge(4:156)

I hope this may answer your question, Azure 24.

peace,
sis, DB

we,Muslims,dont believe in the Original Sin( Adam an Eve's sin has ended up by God's forgiveness. God says:" then learnt Adam from his Lord Words of inspiration, and his Lord turned towards him; for He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful(2:37), the Trinity (God says:"Say: He is God, the One and Only;2 God, the eternal, Absolute; 3 He begetteth not, nor is He begotten 4 And there is none unto Him(112:1-4) and in Jesus's crucifixion(already stated) and the idea of salvation( God says:"..Every soul draws the meed of its acts on none but itself:no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another....(6:164)....

i feel that you are missing a great deal of creation and the early days of man and the many words of the prophets that announce and detail the life of the saviour by using a text that is limited in its message. and perhaps its a matter of you not knowing more than it is you not believing. let us go back to genesis in the old testament. after the fall of adam, mankind was changed. no longer in the garden of eden having everything provided to them, they had to toil the ground for food, kill and animal to clothe themselves and to eat, and adams days were numbered due to his choice to eat the fruit, and eve was placed under adam and she would have pain in her childbirths--the consequence of sin that we live with today. and through many factors that sin causes man's days to be numbered and eventually die. and from then you see man's days tapering off from the early beginnings of creation to what they are today. this is something we all have to live with because we as humans choose sin. so we have sin and we have death. but it is only thru the grace of god that we find eternal life and forgiveness even though we are all sinners. so if you know that we die and you know that we sin, then you know we all fall short of the glory of god. but god loves us, which is why he made a way for our salvation--the lamb of god, who announced by john the baptist and foretold by the prophets before him.

Hello, brother Ahanu,

I m so pleased to exchange views with you...you are motivating me to know more about the topic....thanks, brother.

Of course, brother, you are free in your beliefs if you believe that Jesus died on the cross....

As a Muslim, I dont believe in that because I believe in the Quran...a belief that goes with logic and reason....

Dear dailogue is the best. How is what he is saying illogical. Muhammad said

7 He it is Who hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture wherein are clear revelations - they are the substance of the Book - and others (which are) allegorical.
(The Qur'an (Pickthall tr), Sura 3 - The Family Of Imran)

Muhammad himself said that some scripture is allegorical. Given the quotes and the circumstances, I say that there is plenty of evidence to interpret

157 And because of their saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain.
(The Qur'an (Pickthall tr), Sura 4 - Women)

as allegorical. Christ's enemies wished to kill him to slay his cause. They believed that by killing him they would stop the spread of Christianity. Yet they did not succeed for in fact Christ's message spread more vigorously than ever before, and eventually conquered the hearts of even the Roman emperors.

If you'll remember, Muhammad was persecuted as well. The pagan Arabs, even members of His own tribe violently opposed Him. They sought to annihilate the faith of God, Muhammad, and his followers. The same is true for other religions of the past, as well as the sufferings and persecution of The Bab and Baha'u'llah in the Bahai Faith. In fact you might enjoy this quote.

The hosts of earth and heaven are powerless to resist His Cause, nor can all the kings and rulers of the world ever frustrate His purpose. Say: Adversity is the oil which feedeth the flame of this Lamp and by which its light is increased, did ye but know. Indeed, the repudiation of the froward serveth but to proclaim this Faith and to spread the Cause of God and His Revelation throughout the world.
(Baha'u'llah, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 147)

What do you think, brother Quahom? wouldnt God help Jesus, especially that he asked for rescue. Look at the following quotation from Ahmed Deedat's book Crucifixion or cruci-fiction:
For God Almighty will never allow His truly "anointed one" (Christ) 1 to be killed — (Deuteronomy 18:20). Hence the insistence of the Jews as a people, as a whole, in rejecting Jesus, the son of Mary, as their promised Messiah — "The eternal rejection."
Hello and greetings, DitB.

I think I understand what you're saying. You're saying that God will always rescue those of His people who are oppressed and persecuted. When God allowed Jesus to die in the story of Christianity, God had betrayed His duty.

There are differences, however, between how Islam and Christianity would interpret the death of a prophet or apostle with a mission, character, personality and demeanour like that of Jesus. Jesus' death wasn't seen as a defeat for the cause of Christianity. Nor was it seen as God betraying His people. Instead, God was seen as supporting His people. A Muslim may interpret God allowing Mohammed to die as a sign that He didn't support the cause of Islam. But this has to do with how Muslims see the purpose of Islam. Muslims consider Mohammed to be the Seal of the Prophets, the deliverer of the Final Message. If God allowed Mohammed to die, it would have meant that God didn't support Mohammed. The validity of his message depended on his survival in the face of conflict, oppression and persecution.

But Christianity is not Islam. Christians don't see Jesus as "the Seal of the Prophets" or "deliverer of the Final Message." How Muslims see Mohammed and Islam does not dictate how Christians should see their hero. Jesus' name in Hebrew/Aramaic apparently means "God rescues." The question of whether God supported Jesus' cause depended on whether He supported Jesus' role as "rescuer" of His people.

One of the roles Jesus filled (out of others he pursued) was defending the oppressed and persecuted. Of the oppressed and persecuted, he was particularly concerned about those under the influence of religious leaders who took a dogmatic approach/interpretation of Judaism. Jesus was opposed to the idea of people being enslaved and manipulated by religious dogma. Some people were certainly being persecuted and oppressed because of the social stigma associated with failure to conform to the rules/laws/institutions formulated by the religious leaders. The difficulty of conforming to religious dogma made the lives of many in Israel miserable.

Jesus gave them peace and hope by offering an alternative. They would be his followers rather than conformists to religious dogma. They would no longer have to compete with others for self-worth in the struggle to find a place in the dogmatic pecking order where the better you conformed, the more holy you became. Jesus defended those who couldn't conform. He vindicated them.

But then the day came when Jesus was finally arrested and sentenced to death. But by then his mission was already complete. He had achieved what he had come to do - to rescue his people from oppression and persecution. The crucifixion appeared at first to be a setback in the cause of the oppressed and persecuted. It appeared that God didn't support them. The people felt sad, miserable and defeated again. But then Jesus came back to life. Because they were told that it was God who had brought him back to life, the message was clear: God supported their cause.

The resurrection in the story of Christianity is more important than the crucifixion in this regard. The resurrection would not have happened if Jesus didn't die, but without the resurrection God would not have been able to declare support for the people Jesus liberated from religious dogma. Jesus needed to die to create the irony that although God could allow one of His prophets to die, He could bring them back to life. The enemies of God's people could kill His prophets and messengers, but God could still, in defiance, bring them back to life. God let them win one battle, but they would ultimately lose the war.

The idea that God could have saved Jesus from dying is understandable, but it makes more sense to think he did die in this context. In this situation, Jesus wasn't the only person being persecuted and oppressed. What about the people being enslaved and manipulated by religious dogma? These people needed support. If Jesus really believed in what he said and did then he needed to go the whole way. God's messenger had to be willing to go the distance. Otherwise everything he said and did was a waste. Jesus had to show his people he was willing to pay the price and take the plunge.

In the end, understandably, Jesus couldn't take it. He started crying out to God for help. He asked God to liberate him from the pain. Maybe take him up to heaven. But it would have been unethical for God to have given in to Jesus' selfish cries for rescue, especially after what Jesus had lived for and stood for, said and done. Martyrs have to be martyrs, not people who chicken out at the last minute!!! Despite the pain, however, Jesus didn't recant. He only asked God for liberation. Cut the ordeal short.

(Jesus' crucifixion could be seen as a precursor to that of people sentenced to death in medieval times by the medieval Catholic Church. Just as the religious authorities in Jesus' day were derived historically from an establishment that killed the prophets and apostles, the churches of today are derived from an establishment that, similarly, killed prophets and apostles.:eek: Here we are reading about it all. A lot of Christians of today are repeating what the Pharisaic establishment did to Jesus. Deja vu. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.)

A lot of people think Jesus' death was about God forgiving sins. I think that's a misunderstanding. There is certainly a lot said about God forgiving sins, but I don't believe it was because God couldn't forgive sins. I believe Jesus' death had a lot more to do with religious leaders telling people that God can't accept them if they don't conform to their rules, values and principles. Jesus liberated people from being enslaved and manipulated by such dogma. The death and resurrection was God expressing support for this newly liberated bunch of people. So the crucifixion isn't about God's inability to forgive people. It was God saying that He accepts people even if they can't conform to religious dogma. Jesus was already telling people their sins were forgiven even before he was sentenced to die. God already accepted them. The death and resurrection was a declaration of support.

The irony of all this is that Christians are often forced to believe that Jesus died for their sins, or forced to believe that God can't accept them if they don't think that God can't accept them any other way, ....except if they think Jesus' death was somehow essential for God to accept them..... which is in itself a kind of oppression and persecution. It's like contemporary Christians need a New Jesus to be crucified on their behalf to liberate them from religious dogma of today's Christianity.:D:eek:

It's interesting how a slight paradigm shift causes misunderstandings both for those inside, and outside of a religion.

I have a request, brother. After readind the e-book(which is too long, but interesting...you wont feel the passing of time),please, brother, give me your comments on it. After all, Deedat was doing what we call jurisprudence...he was trying...he may be false in some points, and true in others....for the sake of knowing, and developing our knowledge...

I'm not sure what you mean by jurisprudence. My understanding of "jurisprudence" is that it's usually about legalism and the derivation of rules and laws for a society. I suppose that in this context you're talking about matters of belief and doctrine?

If that's what you're referring to, then what Ahanu said about the crucifixion might come into this. It's interesting to hear that Muslims don't all think that Jesus didn't die. It says to me not only that Muslims don't all commit to thinking Jesus didn't die, but maybe that Islam itself isn't committed either way. Was Mohammed not a mediator between the Jews, Christians and Arabs? If Islam sought to find a resolution for the philosophical dispute between Jews and Christians it should be one acceptable to all parties involved. It would be reasonable in my view if Islam was uncommitted on this issue. I suppose that might be seen as a matter of "jurisprudence."

Back