chakra test ~ how open are yours?

hi seattlegal
Isn’t it quite dangerous to open your crown chakra without having the grounding stability of a strong root chakra?

i don’t know! :confused: i thought it just made us different rather than lesser or better? by dangerous what do you mean? i think i am balanced ~ or at least i did :p

dream
i am unsure i was hoping some of our resident hindus would pop here and give us the lowdown!

Don't worry about it, Z. I need some chakratic stem-cells for sure, which means its just too bad, so sad for me. Hey, look at this 'Sublime philosophical crap test' in the Related threads section at the bottom of the page!

hi seattlegal

i don’t know! :confused: i thought it just made us different rather than lesser or better? by dangerous what do you mean? i think i am balanced ~ or at least i did :p
Oh, just losing touch with reality, perhaps even becoming an irrational religious or political radical (notice how the word "radical" is even derived from the word "root?")
From Online Etymology Dictionary:
radical
1398 (adj.), in a medieval philosophical sense, from L.L. radicalis "of or having roots," from L. radix (gen. radicis) "root" (see radish). Meaning "going to the origin, essential" is from 1651. Political sense of "reformist" (via notion of "change from the roots") is first recorded 1802 (n.), 1820 (adj.), of the extreme section of the British Liberal party (radical reform had been a current phrase since 1786); meaning "unconventional" is from 1921. U.S. youth slang use is from 1983, from 1970s surfer slang meaning "at the limits of control." Radical chic is attested from 1970.​
There are some interesting Old Testament references to "root," if you sift through them. (Root of bitterness in Deuteronomy 29 and Root of rottenness in Isaiah 5 are especially interesting.) simple search for "root" in Old Testament

According to Ewald Berkers of Eclectic Energies, an overactive Root chakra indicates excessive concern with its issues. If we take this at face value, high scoring folks feel less grounded, as indicated by more intense concern with the issues. I don't know if that's because they actually are less grounded. Maybe they just feel that way because of current life circumstances.

Conversely, folks scoring low on Root chakra presumably feel more grounded, as indicated by less concern with Root issues. I don't know if that's because they're actually more grounded.

The page on the psychological properties of chakras was interesting. I notice the use of rather similar terms to describe the properties of different chakras. The absence of qualities like personal self-efficacy and relatedness are associated with an "overactive" Root chakra. Interestingly, the presence of these elements would seem to indicate low levels of Naval chakra and Heart chakra. I say that based on my experimental response set: When I tried to fake the test out by emulating an overactive Root construct, the results were different from what I expected. Items that -- based on Ewald Berkers' description -- should have resulted in an overactive Root chakra score gave me a very low Naval chakra score and somewhat low Heart Chakra score. Mmmm.

Just because a test doesn't have face validity doesn't mean it isn't any good. But it does point to the need for other evidence of validity. Which in this instance includes.....?.?.?.......

seattlegal

Oh, just losing touch with reality, perhaps even becoming an irrational religious or political radical (notice how the word "radical" is even derived from the word "root?")

well that is true, my mother will attest to the fact that i have indeed always been ‘in a dreamworld’. my ideals do tend to be well, not irrational [i hope] but extreme/radical, this is as is necessarily so, i take things to extremes to redraw the line of balance. i do feel it is time to change though.

netti netti
i found the test to be accurate as i read more into it, i don’t know much about the root though. i would say i am grounded yet also concerned [although mainly with philosophical issues]. i would think that the makers of the test would have tried it out the same as you did ~ but maybe not?

Thank you for responding, Netti-Netti. :)
According to Ewald Berkers of Eclectic Energies, an overactive Root chakra indicates excessive concern with its issues. If we take this at face value, high scoring folks feel less grounded, as indicated by more intense concern with the issues. I don't know if that's because they actually are less grounded. Maybe they just feel that way because of current life circumstances.
Over-compensation for deficiencies in other areas? {Along the line of a man going through a mid-life crisis buying himself a porche, perhaps?}

Conversely, folks scoring low on Root chakra presumably feel more grounded, as indicated by less concern with Root issues. I don't know if that's because they're actually more grounded.

The page on the psychological properties of chakras was interesting. I notice the use of rather similar terms to describe the properties of different chakras. The absence of qualities like personal self-efficacy and relatedness are associated with an "overactive" Root chakra. Interestingly, the presence of these elements would seem to indicate low levels of Naval chakra and Heart chakra. I say that based on my experimental response set: When I tried to fake the test out by emulating an overactive Root construct, the results were different from what I expected. Items that -- based on Ewald Berkers' description -- should have resulted in an overactive Root chakra score gave me a very low Naval chakra score and somewhat low Heart Chakra score. Mmmm.
Interesting. I guess that shows how being greedy and materialistic (overactive root chakra) might make you cold and distant (underactive heart chakra), but might the cause of greedy materialism spring from being afraid of not getting what you want in group situations (low navel chakra?) Perhaps it's a chicken and egg question. Whichever the case might be, it does highlight the interrelatedness between the chakras--the person as a whole--who is greater than the sum of their parts.

Just because a test doesn't have face validity doesn't mean it isn't any good. But it does point to the need for other evidence of validity. Which in this instance includes.....?.?.?.......

I'd have to agree with you there.

"Only the Lonely" lyrics transcription

Only the lonely
(r.orbison/melson)

Vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum
Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
Vam-vam-vam-hu-aum
Only the lonely

Only the lonely (vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum)
Know the way I feel tonight (ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah)
Know this feelin aint right (vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum)

There goes my baby (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
There goes my heart (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
They're gone forever (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
So far apart (vam-vam-vam-vam!)

But only the lonely
Know why
I cry
Only the lonely

Vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum
Ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah
Vam-vam-vam-hu-aum
Only the lonely

Know the heartaches I've been through (ooh-yay-yay-yay-yeah)
Know I cried and cried for you (vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum)

Maybe tomorrow (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
A new romance (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
No more sorrow (vam-vam-vam-vam!)
But thats the chance - you gotta take
If your lonely heart breaks
Only the lonely

Vam-vam-vam-vam-ve-hu-aum​

Brilliant! Without a doubt the most accurate transcription I've seen of that song. :)

Over-compensation for deficiencies in other areas?
What did Jung have to say about chakra traits?

I guess that shows how being greedy and materialistic (overactive root chakra) might make you cold and distant (underactive heart chakra), but might the cause of greedy materialism spring from being afraid of not getting what you want in group situations (low navel chakra?) Perhaps it's a chicken and egg question. Whichever the case might be, it does highlight the interrelatedness between the chakras--the person as a whole--who is greater than the sum of their parts.
I hadn't thought of it in those terms. Some of that makes good sense as personality theory. But my point was that Mr. Berker's questionnaire items were not working as I thought they would. The issue is the adequacy of the items used to get people's impressions of how their chakras are functioning. Maybe I don't understand the scoring scheme.

Btw, I had a little email discussion with Mr. Berkers. He refused to tell me which items pertain to Root chakra. If I wanted to crunch some numbers and do a factor analytic study - or if I was even thinking about doing one -- I'd need to know which items are being used to get at which chakra.

Tickle.com has some really good tests, and also unusual tests. They studied the palms of 4,000 people and came up with a personality determination algorithm based on the layout of the major lines in the palm. You go just have to answer the computer's questions about your palm. It doesn't tell the future, but its surprisingly specific with personality determination. I'll bet you could cross-connect that to reveal a person's chakra as well!

What did Jung have to say about chakra traits?
I don't know.

I hadn't thought of it in those terms. Some of that makes good sense as personality theory. But my point was that Mr. Berker's questionnaire items were not working as I thought they would. The issue is the adequacy of the items used to get people's impressions of how their chakras are functioning. Maybe I don't understand the scoring scheme.

Btw, I had a little email discussion with Mr. Berkers. He refused to tell me which items pertain to Root chakra. If I wanted to crunch some numbers and do a factor analytic study - or if I was even thinking about doing one -- I'd need to know which items are being used to get at which chakra.
Well, wouldn't exercise help out with root chakra problems? {As in Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies?} However, I'm drawing a blank for an appropriate song to rework the back-up vocals to incorporate an appropriate Sanskrit chant into. {I must admit, that when it comes to Sanskrit, my language skills are probably somewhere between that of an infant and that of a toddler! :eek: }

Uh-oh. Close the third eye, P-Nut! Close the third eye!!!

:eek: :eek: :D

Root: Open(25%)
Sacral: Over-active(94%)
Navel: Under-active(19%)
Heart: Open(31%)
Throat: Open(50%)
Third Eye: Over-active(100%)
Crown: Open(50%)

I have to find out what's wrong with my navel, too.

Perhaps some navel gazing might give your overactive third eye something to do. :rolleyes: {Pass the pipe...} :p

Well, wouldn't exercise help out with root chakra problems? {As in Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies?}
Say a little more. How long have you been doing the Richard Simmons workouts? How much of it is actually aerobic? And how much of it deals with the root chakra problem?

Say a little more. How long have you been doing the Richard Simmons workouts? How much of it is actually aerobic? And how much of it deals with the root chakra problem?
I haven't been doing the Richard Simmons workouts, so I can't answer questions specific to them.

However, the psychological benefits of exercise have been documented. Here is a blurb about it from MayoClinic.com.

Why don't you have your third eye look into it?

And I think Richard Simmons vids are mostly aerobic, but the reference may be that he has no root chakra issues and it may rub off.

I haven't been doing the Richard Simmons workouts, so I can't answer questions specific to them.
Sorry, I thought you were recommending the Simmons from personal experience. Did you have some workouts you can recommend personally?

However, the psychological benefits of exercise have been documented. Here is a blurb about it from MayoClinic.com.
The "expert" cited in the Mayo Clinic article does not seem to have done any research in this area at all and thus would appear to be totally dependent on unidentified secondary sources. This is not compelling support.

I ran a study on the effects of aerobic swimming on depression. There was no significant change in depression scores, though there was a trend in the expected direction. Maybe the failure to get significant results was due to a ceiling effect. The subjects were not clinically depressed at baseline.

I wonder to what extent studies that have found an effect are documenting the influence of the experiment's demand characteristics. If you're recruited for research participation in a study on exercise and mood, what would you think the researcher is looking for??....

Also, without knowing effect sizes obtained in a given study, I would be very skeptical. As you know, statistical significance is influenced by sample size. In a large enough sample a very small shift in depression could be reported as "significant."

Sorry, I thought you were recommending the Simmons from personal experience. Did you have some workouts you can recommend personally?
Nothing specific, sorry.

The "expert" cited in the Mayo Clinic article does not seem to have done any research in this area at all and thus would appear to be totally dependent on unidentified secondary sources. This is not compelling support.
Here's another article for your consideration.

I ran a study on the effects of aerobic swimming on depression. There was no significant change in depression scores, though there was a trend in the expected direction. Maybe the failure to get significant results was due to a ceiling effect. The subjects were not clinically depressed at baseline.
One of my neighbors was able to get off of her depression medication by doing aerobics for 45 minutes per day. Her doctor was amazed.

I wonder to what extent studies that have found an effect are documenting the influence of the experiment's demand characteristics. If you're recruited for research participation in a study on exercise and mood, what would you think the researcher is looking for??....
I wouldn't know.

Also, without knowing effect sizes obtained in a given study, I would be very skeptical. As you know, statistical significance is influenced by sample size. In a large enough sample a very small shift in depression could be reported as "significant."
Well, from the very small sample size I have observed, the effect was very significant. :)

Here's another article for your consideration.
The article mentions that "the three-hour-a-week group had a substantial reduction in symptoms." What does substantial mean? Need estimate of effect sizes to make any sense of such a statement. Need much more detail about the sample, too.

One of my neighbors was able to get off of her depression medication by doing aerobics for 45 minutes per day. Her doctor was amazed.
Did she start this program because of your suggestion? Anything else she was doing that may have increased her sense of control and well-being? What about time of year as a possible confound in seasonal depression? Was she actually diagnosed with depression or did the doctor decide one day to prescribe something for emotional distress because the doctor couldn't think of what else to do?

Misdiagnosis of mood disorders is a pervasive problem. MDs are (notoriously) poor at it. It's no surprise to me that many people do not respond well to antidepressants: It's because they are not actually depressed in a clinical sense. They have other things going on. Did the neighbor lady have other things going on that may have mimicked depression -- like maybe a sleep disorder that would in fact respond to exercise?

Eating disorders with mood regulation issues are not uncommon. In one study, almost half of the subjects diagnosed with anorexia qualified on DSM-IV criteria for exercise dependence. These folks are dependent on exercise for mood regulation. However, it would appear that many anorexics use exercise mainly to control weight and don't necessarily seek out exercise because it improves their affect. Treatment of anorexia should include psychotherapy.

People with anorexia also have sleep problems that may benefit from exercise. I'm thinking that diagnostic criteria for depression requires that you rule out the eating disorder. Is this neighbor lady anorexic?

Real clinical depression is a fairly serious condition and sometimes requires hospitalization. I personally think exercise is worth trying. But in fairness to the patient, exercise should not be the only thing in the way of treatment. For one thing, depressed people often have motivational deficits known as "behavioral inertia" or "impaired executive functions." They may be too shut down to get dressed or brush their teeth, let alone keep going with a 45-minutes-a-day exercise program. Some depressives are near-catatonic.

I wouldn't know.
Umm, would you think the researcher is looking for a significant increase in depression as a result of exercise? ;)

Well, from the very small sample size I have observed, the effect was very significant.

Touché my dear. But from a statistical point of view, a sample size like this (N=1) is not convincing. There may be a thousand people who experience little or no relief at all for every one person who does benefit. Not knowing whether the person in question qualifies on diagnostic criteria for Depression makes the study even less compelling. Call me fussy. :)

Back