Interfaith and the Transcendent unity of Religions

(Buddhism and Christianity can be complementary.)

To say the religions are complementary would seem to suggest one makes up for what is lacking in the other. I can see that. However, it could obscure areas where Buddhism and Christianity overlap:

Both are salvation religions.
Both propose the liberating influence of knowledge.
Both have a pessimistic psychology of human nature.
Both have attachment and purgation doctrines.
Both reference transcendent experiences.
Both emphasize austerity and virtue.
Both emphasize social commitment by a love ethic.
Both emphasize personal growth and self-development.
Both have a concept of hell as a place to be avoided.

The following excerpt is poison to secular Interfaith since it exposes its limitations as to its value regrding the essence of religion.. I've learned that though secular Interfaith speaks of tolerance, the one thing it is intolerant of is the assertion of its insignificance in relation to realistic Interefaith unity. This assertion is a supreme no no.

Monastic Interreligious Dialogue | Book Review: The Transcendent Unity of Religions

This republication of Schuon’s “superlative” work on the unity of religions has a long, learned and enlightening introduction by Huston Smith, with a helpful diagram making even more precise Schuon’s thesis on the relation between religions

The dividing line is horizontal and occurs only once, rather than the distinction being between the religions themselves. For Schuon, existence—and, therefore, cognition—is graded. Hence, in God at the apex, religions converge; below the line they differ. So, too, religious discernment unites at its apex and divides below it.

Smith compares Schuon’s thesis with others, quoting the author himself in saying that there is “a unity at the heart of religions” that can be “univocally described by none and concretely apprehended by few.” Smith’s introduction concludes with a helpful description of the esoteric and exoteric distinction restated—a key, he says, to the understanding of the whole book. T.S. Eliot said of Schuon’s volume: “I have met with no more impressive work in the comparative study of Oriental and Occidental religion.” From beginning to end, Schuon quotes Muslim and Christian, Hindu and other mystics alike to substantiate his valuable insights. He insists that the unity of the different religions is not only unrealizable on the external level, that of the forms themselves, but ought not to be realized at that level even were this possible, for in that case the revealed forms would be deprived of their sufficient reason. The very fact that they are revealed, he claims, “shows that they are willed by the Divine Word.” He uses the word “transcendent” in the title because it means that the unity of the religious forms must be realized in a purely inward and spiritual way and without prejudice to any particular form. “The antagonisms between these forms no more affect the one universal Truth than the antagonisms between opposing colors affect the transmission of the one uncolored light.”

It really is extraordinary. Secular Interfaith seeks to appreciate unity on the exoteric level which Schuon shows to be impossible and asserts its existence only beyond the dividing line recognized by Transcendent Interfaith.

Just a couple of corrections ...

Both propose the liberating influence of knowledge.
With the proviso that knowledge alone in Christianity does not suffice. Christian liberation was attained for all via the Passion — without the Cross, no amount of knowledge will suffice, there is no salvation.

What man knows is of little consequence, who man is, is everything.

Both have a pessimistic psychology of human nature.
Then you have a superficial and narrow understanding. I find Christian anthropology most optimistic ... what could be more optimistic than paradise? Or divinisation?

Thomas

J...knowledge alone in Christianity does not suffice. Christian liberation was attained for all via the Passion — without the Cross, no amount of knowledge will suffice, there is no salvation.
I'm not prepared to equate liberation with "salvation." Salvation is a gift of G-d, not the product of human effort.

What man knows is of little consequence, who man is, is everything.
There is knowing with one's being.

I find Christian anthropology most optimistic ... what could be more optimistic than paradise? Or divinisation?
To my understanding, paradise or divinisation are not properties of human nature, which is what I was talking about. As I understand it, Paradise is a Divine Order of things, whereas divination is the Holy Spirit in action.

Netti

To my understanding, paradise or divinisation are not properties of human nature, which is what I was talking about. As I understand it, Paradise is a Divine Order of things, whereas divination is the Holy Spirit in action.

Divinisation may be the Holy Spirit in action but it is up to us to get out of our own way so as to make room for it. Normally our imagination fills the space where it can enter causing us to turn in circles at the exoteric level. So the task of those aspiring to be Christian is to get out of our own way which is very difficult.

I agree with divinisation. In Christianity it is love that blots out sin and knows no fear so there is nothing else a man can do that is as beneficial as loving everything and everyone. When this happens, it is no longer we who love, but Christ that loves through us, it is no longer our bodies that live, but Christ consciousness that lives within us. This is the discovery of our true selves in Christ consciousness. Jesus died for us and reconciled us to his Father so Christ consciousness could live in us and unify us with God.
Christ consciousness purifies the image of God in our minds, cures our spiritual blindness and opens our consciousness to the unity of all things. It takes possession of our wills so we no longer remain captive to our desires, passions and compulsions. Christ consciousness makes us capable of acting in the productive tranquility of love and spiritual freedom. By teaching us love Jesus perfects our minds in the likeness of pure consciousness by conforming us to Christ consciousness. This is more than the imitation of his virtues, but a union of consciousness that makes us the individuals, God intends us to be. To enter into this consciousness we must identify with Christ, the Father and all of his creation in one pure consciousness.
Christian Mysticism

I agree with divinisation. In Christianity it is love that blots out sin and knows no fear so there is nothing else a man can do that is as beneficial as loving everything and everyone. When this happens, it is no longer we who love, but Christ that loves through us, it is no longer our bodies that live, but Christ consciousness that lives within us. This is the discovery of our true selves in Christ consciousness. Jesus died for us and reconciled us to his Father so Christ consciousness could live in us and unify us with God.
Christ consciousness purifies the image of God in our minds, cures our spiritual blindness and opens our consciousness to the unity of all things. It takes possession of our wills so we no longer remain captive to our desires, passions and compulsions. Christ consciousness makes us capable of acting in the productive tranquility of love and spiritual freedom. By teaching us love Jesus perfects our minds in the likeness of pure consciousness by conforming us to Christ consciousness. This is more than the imitation of his virtues, but a union of consciousness that makes us the individuals, God intends us to be. To enter into this consciousness we must identify with Christ, the Father and all of his creation in one pure consciousness.
Christian Mysticism

First things first. The OP suggests that we live at the exoteric level which is filled with all sorts of fantasy and imagination to reconcile our distorted connection with the external world. So rather than talking of love, perhaps it is better to first come to realize why we are incapable of anything other than selective animal love.

Hi Nick —

The OP suggests that we live at the exoteric level which is filled with all sorts of fantasy and imagination to reconcile our distorted connection with the external world.
But we cannot reduce Christianity to some kind of esoterism — or rather, as Schuon would say — Chriostianity is entirely an esoterism — but my point is that Christianity is not the province of the intellectual elite, but of everyman.

All one has to do is love ... that will suffice ...

So rather than talking of love, perhaps it is better to first come to realize why we are incapable of anything other than selective animal love.
Oh, I think that's a very bleak image of the human race, and I think there are examples abounding that show we are better than that.

What counts is that we try ... there is no saint I know of who would claim to have passed beyond sin ... but there are plenty of those who live in the Spirit of the Father who assure us our sins will be forgiven if only we ask.

Thomas

Hi Nick —

But we cannot reduce Christianity to some kind of esoterism — or rather, as Schuon would say — Chriostianity is entirely an esoterism — but my point is that Christianity is not the province of the intellectual elite, but of everyman.

All one has to do is love ... that will suffice ...

Oh, I think that's a very bleak image of the human race, and I think there are examples abounding that show we are better than that.

What counts is that we try ... there is no saint I know of who would claim to have passed beyond sin ... but there are plenty of those who live in the Spirit of the Father who assure us our sins will be forgiven if only we ask.

Thomas

Hi Thomas

The idea is that there are levels of Christianity that correspond to the levels of being of humanity. There is an exoteric Christianity that is within Christendom that invites the seeker to experience beyond created secular influences. There is esoteric Christianity that is the inner practice not dominated by external or secular conditioning. The transcendent level is the goal of esoteric practice.

It is not intellectual at least in the sense we normally define intelligence. The Christian intellect is the same as the higher mind that is referred to in Eastern teachings. It is a conscious affirmation that reconciles our normal duality we call intelligence.

"The difference between more or less intelligent men is like the difference between criminals condemned to life imprisonment in smaller or larger cells. The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like a condemned man who is proud of his large cell." Simone Weil

The exoteric existence that measures intelligence by factual knowledge is the domain of Plato's cave. Christianity and the intellect of higher mind refers to the quality of consciousness that is attracted to life outside Plato's cave and consciously experiences cave life from a higher perspective associated with the light entering the cave.

While Christianity is the province of everyman, it is rejected by humanity attached to cave life. When Jesus uses the word "world" IMO he is referring to the same concept as Plato's cave. The World must hate the teaching since it seeks to expose what is lost through being attached to cave life. If it does, I cannot see how it could benefit "everyman" that denies it.

It is one thing to try and another to recognize our inability. Even Peter had trouble with this:

John 21 NIV

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep."

This is a classic example of bad translation. I cannot give the Greek her but I'll post the passage again with the different meanings of love in parenthesis

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me (consciously) more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." (mechanically)
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" (consciously)
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." (mechanically)
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." 17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" (mechanically)
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" (mechanically) He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."mechanically Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

Peter was not yet capable of the distinction. Love in the Christian sense is not the same as in the secular sense and even translators don't bother with the depth of vertical meaning in scripture. How many if asked what Christian love is would distinguish it from secular love? Without this distinction the passage has no meaning and distorts the qualities of love.
I guess being willing to admit the human condition can be seen as having a bleak image. Yet I admire those like Simone Weil who have the courage to embrace it and profit, with the help of the Spirit, from its objective recognition within our being

It is a view of unity and harmony that softens the harsh cutting edge of an isolated existence without love. The hostilities we might feel at this moment can be quickly dispelled, if we assist the natural processes that serve the function of reunification. The absence of unity and love in our lives is what makes us feel crude and incomplete so seeing our world as a backdrop for unity, we smooth away the tensions in the body and the mind so we can see energy flowing through dogs, cats, bacteria, people and the food we eat. Freely choosing unity and surrendering to its flow of energy, we assist the natural processes of relaxation that reduce mountainous problems to a size that we can cope with and overcome while we learn to love. Our lives become productive and fulfilling in proportion to the love we exchange so for that reason alone we should learn to appreciate and to feel the greatness of unity. Harmony comes when one feels one with all things.

Back