Why are muslims so thin-skinned?

heavensblade23

Established Member
Reaction score
The Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper sparked worldwide protests and a few riots. Salman Rushdie had a death sentence placed on his head for writing The Satanic Verses, and again violent reprisals were promised when he was honored by the Queen.

It seems to me Christians are much less sensitive to mockery than Muslims are. There are countless t-shirts and bumper-stickers, not to mention music and movies, that mock christianity, and nothing ever comes of it.

I would mock Jesus 1000 times in front of a thousand different Christians before I'd try it once with a muslim.

Christians have had their share ;)

It's the muslims turn now lol...

You learn to rise above it heavensblade.... Hell If I wanted to draw muhammed I would... I don't tolerate bullies...

The better man always walks away... And if you can't laugh at yourself... That says alot....

Namaste Heavensblade,

Unless you are Muslim, I feel your post is completely disrespectful.

This is an interfaith discussion site, you've posted in the Islam board.

As far as I know it this is all about respect an honor.

Muslims frown upon all human images and particularly against those of Mohamed (pbuh). It is in their scripture. It is always hard to understand others beliefs unless we explore them.

Namaste Wil,

history is repleat with images of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), the protest regarding the publishing of the images of Muhammad (pbuh) are not because they are images, per se, but because they are considered to be disrespectful.

then again.. respect is a rather unusual thing and people have some varying views about it... there is a common level of basic human respect that we have towards all beings and then finer and more defined ones towards particular beings or ideas. other than the basic level i'm of the view that respect is something which is earned rather than something which is given though this is the more refined sort.

i'd agree that there isn't much for a conversation in the OP.

metta,

~v

The Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper sparked worldwide protests and a few riots. Salman Rushdie had a death sentence placed on his head for writing The Satanic Verses, and again violent reprisals were promised when he was honored by the Queen.

It seems to me Christians are much less sensitive to mockery than Muslims are. There are countless t-shirts and bumper-stickers, not to mention music and movies, that mock christianity, and nothing ever comes of it.

I would mock Jesus 1000 times in front of a thousand different Christians before I'd try it once with a muslim.

First look, no Muslim is a Muslim who do not Show respect to Jesus (PBUH). So any Muslim do so i say he is not a Muslim. Look this was all targeted at a personality, rather then anything. When you know that a Muslim can do anything for Their Beloved Prophet (PBUH) then why do you say so..... Look their is a limit from beyond which we should not cross. When a Christian says or Jews says that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) (naozbillah) is Not Allah's Prophet then we do not come and kill you rather then attacking personality, do speak or have a Dialogue. As we respect your religion other should also respect them they may have differences but we can discuss them with dialogue . It just hurts our feeling, Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is more important then our Parents and children. So thats i don't come out saying that your religion is bastard or something like that rather i say it is wrong and do Dialogue.

Muslims frown upon all human images and particularly against those of Mohamed (pbuh). It is in their scripture. It is always hard to understand others beliefs unless we explore them.

This isn't necessarily about the cartoons, which admittedly weren't in the best of taste. However, the reaction was way over the top.

Seems eclectic mystic and heavensblade23 are the same person, repeats the same OP to start a different thread right beside this one.

No, sorry, I don't use sock puppets. :)

Edit: Oh, I see why you said that. I didn't even notice someone posted a similar thread already.

First look, no Muslim is a Muslim who do not Show respect to Jesus (PBUH). So any Muslim do so i say he is not a Muslim. Look this was all targeted at a personality, rather then anything. When you know that a Muslim can do anything for Their Beloved Prophet (PBUH) then why do you say so..... Look their is a limit from beyond which we should not cross. When a Christian says or Jews says that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) (naozbillah) is Not Allah's Prophet then we do not come and kill you rather then attacking personality, do speak or have a Dialogue. As we respect your religion other should also respect them they may have differences but we can discuss them with dialogue . It just hurts our feeling, Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is more important then our Parents and children. So thats i don't come out saying that your religion is bastard or something like that rather i say it is wrong and do Dialogue.

I understand that perfectly. I'm just saying that some Muslims treat it like it's the end of the world when they feel someone is being disrespectful.

If that newspaper had published disrespectful images of Jesus, it would have been forgotten about in a week and it wouldn't have turned into an international incident. Christians simply wouldn't have cared that much about it.

As another example, the wikipedia article on Muhammed used to have a reproduction of a medieval painting of Muhammed as the article picture. There was nothing disrespectful at all about the image itself, but it stirred up a huge controversy within wikipedia. Hundreds of muslims poured into the talk page to say wikipedia was being disrespectful and humiliating them by publishing such an image.

Wikipedia is for everyone, and certainly the majority of people viewing the article wouldn't take any offense at the image, not being muslims. No offense was intended, but great offense was taken by the muslim community.

As an example of that kind of comment:
Picture of Muhammad (SM) should be removed because it is totally haram that drawing of Muhammad (S) picture in Islam. So I want declare that Wikipedia should aware of Islam rules and the picture should be removed. If that kind of work going on then the Main Islam will drive in another way and by this process Islam will be altered and changed. So the request to obey the rule of Islam that Wikipedia Should remove the picture otherwise whole muslim world will point finger to the Wikipedia and that will be serious. By wikipedia whole world know about the main thing if the wikipedia show wrong thing people will learn wrong thing and then the main thing will be drived in a wrong way. So again the request is Picture should be removed

The discussion went on for so long they had to create a FAQ that explained why such pictures would not be removed:
Talk:Muhammad/FAQ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I feel it's worth pointing out that Shiia Islam does not necessarily prohibit images of Muhammed. I've heard there are museums in Iran that display historically important examples of such images.

Back