Why are Muslims so courageous?

• Thread starter Eclectic Mystic
  • Start date
E

Eclectic Mystic

The Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper sparked worldwide protests and a few riots (according to you). Salman Rushdie had a death sentence placed on his head for writing The Satanic Verses, and again violent reprisals were promised when he was honored by the Queen (you get the idea).

It seems to me Christians are much less sensitive to mockery than Muslims are. There are countless t-shirts and bumper-stickers, not to mention music and movies, that mock christianity, and nothing ever comes of it.

I would mock Jesus 1000 times in front of a thousand different Christians before I'd try it once with a muslim.

The Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper sparked worldwide protests and a few riots (according to you). Salman Rushdie had a death sentence placed on his head for writing The Satanic Verses, and again violent reprisals were promised when he was honored by the Queen (you get the idea).

It seems to me Christians are much less sensitive to mockery than Muslims are. There are countless t-shirts and bumper-stickers, not to mention music and movies, that mock christianity, and nothing ever comes of it.

I would mock Jesus 1000 times in front of a thousand different Christians before I'd try it once with a muslim.

Seems to me rather curious...

The Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper sparked worldwide protests and a few riots. Salman Rushdie had a death sentence placed on his head for writing The Satanic Verses, and again violent reprisals were promised when he was honored by the Queen.

Is there any particular reason you feel the need to quote from a different thread? Are you using two different avatars?

Oh, by the way, "Is there any particular reason" you allow a thread to remain when its entitled 'Why are Muslims so ____________"?

I hadn't even seen this thread when I posted mine, sorry for the dupe. I guess great minds think alike or something. ;)

Nice try at stealing my humor but everyone knows you posted your thread first.

PoohPopcorn.gif

Hello/Peace,

This post sounds like it should be in the Christian forum. Anyhow, before I say anything in regards to your question, consider this: try mocking Jews and their faith? God forbid, I am sure you would hear a lot of clamor among the Jewish people, because after all any criticism against the Jews and Israel, let alone a mockery, is considered antisemitism, fascism, etc. Even Obama had to ensure that his diplomatic plans must make it clear that Jews and Israel are #1 American concerns.

Now, majority of the world Muslims, if you will notice, do not attack Christians world-wide by mocking the crucifixion, the statues some Christians pray to, etc. We do not throw the Bible down the toilets and do not call the biblical prophets any bad names.
On the other side, the cartoons are supposed 'freedom of the speech.' Well, if it Westerners so value the freedom of the speech, then let them practice it for real. Hate speech is not freedom speech--there is a difference. Freedom is not supposed to hurt other people, but rather to express who one is, what he/she believes and the way he/she wants to live.

Disagreements can be expressed through freedom of speech, even if it is a strong as to say that Christians believe Islaam to be a false faith. Nothing surprising for Muslims, since we know that majority of Christians feel that way. But to make a mockery to express your views becomes a hate speech and not a freedom speech.

I find it that Christians are so used to people mocking their faith, that they are almost 'blind and deaf' to all the mockery of Christianity. Someone once said that the spirit of Christianity has been broken. I feel it might be true, because Christians easily accept any disrespect towards the faith.

Islaam's spirit among the Muslims world-wide is being broken through many ways: supposed 'Muslim' terrorists and many non-Muslims. I say 'supposed' 'Muslim' terrorists, because any person that brings so much pain to people, including Muslims, is in my opinion not a true Muslim. Muslims are not to make mischief in the world, we cannot hurt humanity the way some Earthlings do claiming to be Muslims.

This post sounds like it should be in the Christian forum.

I'm not a Christian, nor is the question directed at Christians. Why not ask Muslims themselves the question?

Anyhow, before I say anything in regards to your question, consider this: try mocking Jews and their faith? God forbid, I am sure you would hear a lot of clamor among the Jewish people, because after all any criticism against the Jews and Israel, let alone a mockery, is considered antisemitism, fascism, etc. Even Obama had to ensure that his diplomatic plans must make it clear that Jews and Israel are #1 American concerns.
To some degree this is because 'Jewish' is both a race and a religion.
On the other side, the cartoons are supposed 'freedom of the speech.' Well, if it Westerners so value the freedom of the speech, then let them practice it for real. Hate speech is not freedom speech--there is a difference. Freedom is not supposed to hurt other people, but rather to express who one is, what he/she believes and the way he/she wants to live.
That depends on where you live. Here in the US we have a very broad concept of freedom of speech that allows for hate speech. Whether or not the European model or the American model is better is outside the scope of this thread.

Islaam's spirit among the Muslims world-wide is being broken through many ways: supposed 'Muslim' terrorists and many non-Muslims. I say 'supposed' 'Muslim' terrorists, because any person that brings so much pain to people, including Muslims, is in my opinion not a true Muslim. Muslims are not to make mischief in the world, we cannot hurt humanity the way some Earthlings do claiming to be Muslims.
I don't know if I agree with you or not. Every time a religious person does something bad, the other members of that religion are all-too-quick to point out that that person is not a true muslim/christian/jew/whatever. I'm not sure you can do that with group membership. If we listened to and believed all of you, we'd be forced to come to the conclusion that no religious person ever does anything bad.

I'm not a Christian, nor is the question directed at Christians. Why not ask Muslims themselves the question?
What question? The one about all Muslims being courageous?

To some degree this is because 'Jewish' is both a race and a religion.
In the US only a fraction of Jews practice Judaism.

That depends on where you live. Here in the US we have a very broad concept of freedom of speech that allows for hate speech. Whether or not the European model or the American model is better is outside the scope of this thread.
I didn't get the impression that Amica was getting at a legal notion of free speech. My sense was that Amica was talking about responsible and respectful applications of free speech.

Interfaith discussion should be in the interest of basic bridge-building between people of different faiths with the hope of increasing understanding. The use of misleading imagery, argument by insinuation, and sidestepping the real issues are propagandist tools. They have little to do with dialogue or with any good faith effort to increase understanding.

I don't know if I agree with you or not. Every time a religious person does something bad, the other members of that religion are all-too-quick to point out that that person is not a true muslim/christian/jew/whatever.
Who established that a religious person did something bad?

I wasn't even going to respond to this thread. Oh well. It's too hot to play golf today anyway.

I find it that Christians are so used to people mocking their faith, that they are almost 'blind and deaf' to all the mockery of Christianity. Someone once said that the spirit of Christianity has been broken. I feel it might be true, because Christians easily accept any disrespect towards the faith.
Would that be because they no longer respect the faith ?

I don't totally agree with the characterization of Christians in general, but I get the point. At the top of the thread someone said: "I would mock Jesus 1000 times in front of a thousand different Christians before I'd try it once with a Muslim." Is that because Christians have become blasé about their faith and unwilling to defend it? Many have left the faith, if that's any indication. Maybe there should be new thread called Why are Christians so "Sure ja whatever" about most anything relevant to their faith?

The single largest religious organization in the world - The Catholic Church - rarely talked about Christ and insinuated itself in the very places that Jesus had sought to open up to Divine Presence. Is it possible that the hollow shell of what's left of Christian civilization at this point is still grieving over its loss of authentic spiritual resources and is trying to cope by actively trying to devalue Islam? A chronic case of nostalgia for a path with a heart?

Netti, it seems like many Christians aim to be more alike to Peter than to Christ.

Amica said:
God forbid, I am sure you would hear a lot of clamor among the Jewish people, because after all any criticism against the Jews and Israel, let alone a mockery, is considered antisemitism, fascism, etc. Even Obama had to ensure that his diplomatic plans must make it clear that Jews and Israel are #1 American concerns.
amica, that just isn't true. people criticise jews and israel all the time - you should read the british papers. there is a difference between legitimate criticism, fair comment and outright anti-semitism or jew-hatred which i and other jewish people certainly make. obama, on the other hand, would have to factor this stuff in because the american jewish vote (which is not inconsiderable) is up for grabs. besides, what these people say doesn't signify that much - george w bush was the first american president to say explicitly that the palestinians should have a state and he certainly hasn't done that much to make it happen.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back