call for papers

juantoo3

....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb
Reaction score
Just interjecting thinking someone here could possibly be interested in this...

I know the submission date has been moved to the end of this month...

This call for papers is seeking scholarly submissions for the 1st Annual Meeting of the Lyceum at Unity Institute to be held on the campus of the Unity School of Christianity, Unity Village, Missouri. The Department of Historical and Theological Studies at Unity Institute is the contact point for information about this conference.
Submissions are encouraged for papers in all content areas related to religious studies, especially topics relevant to the study of spirituality, theology, pastoral studies, prayer, theological ethics, Church history. religion and contemporary society, ministry, and metaphysical Christianity. The generic nature of the conference theme is intended to stimulate the widest possible participation in this first annual meeting.

Thanks wil!

Ok, I'm so torn in my choices.... I want to be everywhere...anyone got any thing you'd desire me to report on?

9:45-10:50 a.m.​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms
*Papers and Presentations - Session 1
1-1 “The Lost Sheep Parable Seen through the Lens of Spiral Dynamics” Lauri L. Boyd, Master’s Student, Unity Institute

1-2 “From Natural to Artificial Law and Back Again” Mark Chustz, Doctoral Student, Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy

1-3 “Democratizing Mystical Experience through the Use of the Twelve-Step recovery Method” Patrick Emmett, Doctoral Student, U of CA-Riverside

1-4 “Recent Artists on Neo-Platonic and Christian Theological Themes” Jonathan Yegge, Doctoral Student, Catholic University of
Leuven, Belgium

11:00-12:15 a.m.​

*Papers and Presentations - Session 2

2-1 "Philo, Fillmore, and the Future: Is Metaphysical Interpretation Still Valid?" Mark Fuss, Certificate in Ministry Student, Unity Institute

2-2 “The Reception of C.S. Lewis in America” Stephanie Derrick, Master of Church History Student, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

2-3 “The Sartorially Challenged Wedding Guest: Matthew 22:10- 14 in the Light of Jewish Thought” Rabbi Zev-Hayyim Feyer, Doctoral Student, Claremont University School of Religion

2-4 “Worldly Christian Spirituality and Politics: The Relationship between Bonhoeffer’s Later-Phase Understanding of the Church-World Relationship and His Forms of Political Involvement” David M. Gides, PhD

*Papers and Presentations - Session 3 3-1 Ethics and Contemporary Religion

“Behind Good and Evil: Toward Ethics without Morality” Rev. Scott W. Gustafson

“Network Theology: Thinking about God in the Age of Democracy, Evolution, and Global Capitalism” PhD Adam S. Miller, PhD
“Certainty Versus Uncertainty: Postmodernism and the Emerging Church” Shawn David Young, Doctoral Student, Michigan State University

3-2 Healing in History, Geopolitics, and Individual Experience

“Healing in the Middle Ages: A Radical Challenge to Literary Science” Michael P, McGlynn

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” PhD Mlen-Too Wesley Proffesor Penn State University

“Ernest Holmes and Religious Science: The Healing Trinity of Prayer, Treatment, and Meditation” , , PhD Pamela L. Bozeman, Master’s Religious Studies Student, University of North Carolina-Charlotte
3:15-5:15 p.m​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms. *Papers and Presentations - Session 4

4-1 Cross-Cultural Issues

“Media Bias and Religion: How Showtime’s Mini Series Sleeper Cell Frames Islam” Samuel Oduyela, M.A., Communications, Trinity University, Washington, D.C.; M.A., Religious Studies, University of Ibadan, Nigeria

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” Mlen-Too Wesley, PhD

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms​
4-2 Constructive Theology: Re-Thinking Christianity for the Twenty-First Century

“Theobionome: An Alternative Approach to the Death of Jesus” “Reimagining Incarnation” Marcus Croom, Master’s Student, Shaw University Divinity School

“Why Every Christian Should ‘Quite Rightly Pass for an Atheist’” Aileen M. Fitzke, M.A. Jon Stanley, Doctoral Student, University for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada
11-12:15 SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms​
*Papers and Presentations – Session 6

6-1 “‘The entire universe is a sea of love’: Toward a Mystical Theology of Love in St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross” Cristobal Serran-Pagan Y Fuentes

6-2 “Separate but Equal: The New Paradigm for Evangelical Complementarians” PhD Courtney VanLacy, Master of Religious Studies Student, University of Missouri–Columbia

6-3 “Unity’s Fifth Principle: Social Action or Spiritual Practice?” Kelly Isola, Master’s Student

6-4 “Plato and the Platonic Tradition’s Contribution to Spiritualism in Western Civilization” Unity Institute Jerry Dell Ehrlich, PhD
3:15-5:15 p.m.​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 7

7-1 “The Church of the Future” Panel Discussion: Unity Institute Student Presenters and Visiting Students from other Academic Institutions
Moderator: Robert Fish, PhD., Faculty, Unity Institute

7-2 New Voices of Feminism

“Pluralists, Feminists, Panentheists: The Cosmological Shift to Panentheism for Theologies of Unity” Aimee Upjohn Light, PhD

“Christian Feminism without Racism and Anti-Semitism?: The Challenge of Creating a Liberating Christianity” Karen Seat, PhD

“Who Do I Say That I Am?” (Feminist Trinitarian Theology) Elizabeth A. Lee, Doctoral Student-Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, California
1-2:15 pm​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 9.

9-1 “Mysteries of the Bible: Clues in the Papers of Charles Fillmore” Eric E. Page, Archivist/Master’sStudent, Unity Institute

9-2 “Rock in the Road: Fall-Redemption Theology & Human Creative Potential” Connie Munro, Student, Licensed Unity Teacher

9-3 "Transfiguring Desire: Hearts of Flesh & the Breath of God" Deborah Rasa, M.A.

9-4 “How Will Today’s Church Fill the Pews Tomorrow?” Edwin Dee King, Unity of Nashville, TN

Skive and hit the pub....you'l get a lot more 'sense' there ;)

tao

This one!

1-1 “The Lost Sheep Parable Seen through the Lens of Spiral Dynamics”

Tao, I went over to the pub, but there was the verbose fellow taking up all the room slugging down glass after glass of Merlot and well...

Ok, I'm so torn in my choices.... I want to be everywhere...anyone got any thing you'd desire me to report on?

9:45-10:50 a.m.

*Papers and Presentations - Session 1
1-1 “The Lost Sheep Parable Seen through the Lens of Spiral Dynamics” Lauri L. Boyd, Master’s Student, Unity Institute

1-2 “From Natural to Artificial Law and Back Again” Mark Chustz, Doctoral Student, Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy

1-3 “Democratizing Mystical Experience through the Use of the Twelve-Step recovery Method” Patrick Emmett, Doctoral Student, U of CA-Riverside

1-4 “Recent Artists on Neo-Platonic and Christian Theological Themes” Jonathan Yegge, Doctoral Student, Catholic University of
Leuven, Belgium

11:00-12:15 a.m.

*Papers and Presentations - Session 2

2-1 "Philo, Fillmore, and the Future: Is Metaphysical Interpretation Still Valid?" Mark Fuss, Certificate in Ministry Student, Unity Institute

2-2 “The Reception of C.S. Lewis in America” Stephanie Derrick, Master of Church History Student, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

2-3 “The Sartorially Challenged Wedding Guest: Matthew 22:10- 14 in the Light of Jewish Thought” Rabbi Zev-Hayyim Feyer, Doctoral Student, Claremont University School of Religion

2-4 “Worldly Christian Spirituality and Politics: The Relationship between Bonhoeffer’s Later-Phase Understanding of the Church-World Relationship and His Forms of Political Involvement” David M. Gides, PhD

*Papers and Presentations - Session 3 3-1 Ethics and Contemporary Religion

“Behind Good and Evil: Toward Ethics without Morality” Rev. Scott W. Gustafson

“Network Theology: Thinking about God in the Age of Democracy, Evolution, and Global Capitalism” PhD Adam S. Miller, PhD
“Certainty Versus Uncertainty: Postmodernism and the Emerging Church” Shawn David Young, Doctoral Student, Michigan State University

3-2 Healing in History, Geopolitics, and Individual Experience

“Healing in the Middle Ages: A Radical Challenge to Literary Science” Michael P, McGlynn

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” PhD Mlen-Too Wesley Proffesor Penn State University

“Ernest Holmes and Religious Science: The Healing Trinity of Prayer, Treatment, and Meditation” , , PhD Pamela L. Bozeman, Master’s Religious Studies Student, University of North Carolina-Charlotte

3:15-5:15 p.m

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms. *Papers and Presentations - Session 4

4-1 Cross-Cultural Issues

“Media Bias and Religion: How Showtime’s Mini Series Sleeper Cell Frames Islam” Samuel Oduyela, M.A., Communications, Trinity University, Washington, D.C.; M.A., Religious Studies, University of Ibadan, Nigeria

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” Mlen-Too Wesley, PhD

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms 4-2 Constructive Theology: Re-Thinking Christianity for the Twenty-First Century

“Theobionome: An Alternative Approach to the Death of Jesus” “Reimagining Incarnation” Marcus Croom, Master’s Student, Shaw University Divinity School

“Why Every Christian Should ‘Quite Rightly Pass for an Atheist’” Aileen M. Fitzke, M.A. Jon Stanley, Doctoral Student, University for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada

11-12:15 SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms

*Papers and Presentations – Session 6

6-1 “‘The entire universe is a sea of love’: Toward a Mystical Theology of Love in St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross” Cristobal Serran-Pagan Y Fuentes

6-2 “Separate but Equal: The New Paradigm for Evangelical Complementarians” PhD Courtney VanLacy, Master of Religious Studies Student, University of Missouri–Columbia

6-3 “Unity’s Fifth Principle: Social Action or Spiritual Practice?” Kelly Isola, Master’s Student

6-4 “Plato and the Platonic Tradition’s Contribution to Spiritualism in Western Civilization” Unity Institute Jerry Dell Ehrlich, PhD

3:15-5:15 p.m.

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 7

7-1 “The Church of the Future” Panel Discussion: Unity Institute Student Presenters and Visiting Students from other Academic Institutions
Moderator: Robert Fish, PhD., Faculty, Unity Institute

7-2 New Voices of Feminism

“Pluralists, Feminists, Panentheists: The Cosmological Shift to Panentheism for Theologies of Unity” Aimee Upjohn Light, PhD

“Christian Feminism without Racism and Anti-Semitism?: The Challenge of Creating a Liberating Christianity” Karen Seat, PhD

“Who Do I Say That I Am?” (Feminist Trinitarian Theology) Elizabeth A. Lee, Doctoral Student-Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, California

1-2:15 pm

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 9.

9-1 “Mysteries of the Bible: Clues in the Papers of Charles Fillmore” Eric E. Page, Archivist/Master’sStudent, Unity Institute

9-2 “Rock in the Road: Fall-Redemption Theology & Human Creative Potential” Connie Munro, Student, Licensed Unity Teacher

9-3 "Transfiguring Desire: Hearts of Flesh & the Breath of God" Deborah Rasa, M.A.

9-4 “How Will Today’s Church Fill the Pews Tomorrow?” Edwin Dee King, Unity of Nashville, TN

Will, ask Jerry Ehlrich if he's studied Simone Weil.​

3:15-5:15 p.m.​

This one!

Tao, I went over to the pub, but there was the verbose fellow taking up all the room slugging down glass after glass of Merlot and well...
Thank you, it was the front runner, but I was just visiting with two presenters, and one of them was 1-2 (the other was Wesley, 3-2 and 4-2) anywho Mark's is actually on spiritual economics and the issues of capitalism.

Still looking for more ideas, and Tao, where I am from the pubs are always open and have a plethora of philosphers, all of whom I can catch their talks and discussions anytime as they are on a continuous loop, repeating over and over...

Thank you, it was the front runner, but I was just visiting with two presenters, and one of them was 1-2 (the other was Wesley, 3-2 and 4-2) anywho Mark's is actually on spiritual economics and the issues of capitalism.

Still looking for more ideas, and Tao, where I am from the pubs are always open and have a plethora of philosphers, all of whom I can catch their talks and discussions anytime as they are on a continuous loop, repeating over and over...

Yup, they cater for the hard of hearing :)

This one!

lmao. i enjoyed that.... glasses of medoc to all who really understand red wine!!

So are these papers we can just read or do we need to subscribe to a journal? I'm curious about:

I admit I'm curious about the spiral one, too; but they probably just threw that word in to get people in their class.

I missed this one at first read :

"
“Why Every Christian Should ‘Quite Rightly Pass for an Atheist’” Aileen M. Fitzke, M.A. Jon Stanley, Doctoral Student, University for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada"

In my blasé arrogance I have often in "debate" with Christians said that I am more "Christian" than them. And arrogance aside I AM more Christian than them. What good is Christianity when the atheists are more Christian than the hypocrites?

tao

headed off for the day...

I've got your notes and see what I will see...

Keep posting ideas for tomorrow... Presentations 6 and 7

I missed this one at first read :

"
“Why Every Christian Should ‘Quite Rightly Pass for an Atheist’” Aileen M. Fitzke, M.A. Jon Stanley, Doctoral Student, University for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada"

In my blasé arrogance I have often in "debate" with Christians said that I am more "Christian" than them. And arrogance aside I AM more Christian than them. What good is Christianity when the atheists are more Christian than the hypocrites?

tao

I feel if you go around saying things such as "I am more christian than you..." (Which seems ver y childlike behaviour.) That is not the way of christ lol.... *reminds me of that comedy sketch 'we are considerably richer than yow.'* So arrogance aside I feel you're barking up the wrong tree.

Name calling, judging and self righteousness aside... Why do you consider yourself more christian than christians lol....

I feel if you go around saying things such as "I am more christian than you..." (Which seems ver y childlike behaviour.) That is not the way of christ lol.... *reminds me of that comedy sketch 'we are considerably richer than yow.'* So arrogance aside I feel you're barking up the wrong tree.

Name calling, judging and self righteousness aside... Why do you consider yourself more christian than christians lol....

Hmm You do have a point. It was a bit of a stupid post to make but it has some truth too. Depends on where you approach it from. I say so because I do not live the hypocrisy of so many Christians and my morality is ideally Christian without perversion. Oh..and I can walk on water.

tao

Hmm You do have a point. It was a bit of a stupid post to make but it has some truth too. Depends on where you approach it from. I say so because I do not live the hypocrisy of so many Christians and my morality is ideally Christian without perversion. Oh..and I can walk on water.

tao

Thanks for post.

Ah Ok I get what your saying. One last thing though Could you just confirm what hypocrisy?

Thanks for post.

Ah Ok I get what your saying. One last thing though Could you just confirm what hypocrisy?

The hypocrisy of thinking being a christian means partaking of the weekly fashion parade and singing songs of homage to a church and its propaganda whilst ignoring the plight of your neighbour.

tao

The hypocrisy of thinking being a christian means partaking of the weekly fashion parade and singing songs of homage to a church and its propaganda whilst ignoring the plight of your neighbour.

tao
Exactly one of the topics in the atheist discussion....

brain is filling up and will unload more later..

Ah, so if I do not partake of the weekly fashion parade and do not sing songs of homage to a church and its propaganda then it is OK to ignore the plight of my neighbor in order to not be hypocritical? I just want to see if I'm on the same page... ;)

BTW, wil...

What was the question again?, I was too overwhelmed to respond!

There was a lot in there that looked interesting...I hope you enjoy whichever lectures you choose to sit in on. :D

Ah, so if I do not partake of the weekly fashion parade and do not sing songs of homage to a church and its propaganda then it is OK to ignore the plight of my neighbor in order to not be hypocritical? I just want to see if I'm on the same page... ;)

You got it ;)

ta:p

Back