call for papers

You got it ;)

ta:p

OK, so I make certain I am following; if I do *not* ignore the plight of my neighbor, and choose not to partake of the weekly fashion parade and not to sing songs of homage to a church...am I an hypocrit, or not?

------

Once we get this settled, then we will need to flesh out precisely what is meant by "ignore the plight of my neighbor"...is my neighbor just those people next door? the same block? the same city? the same country?

The same name? the same skin color? the same philosophical / religious outlook? Or am I beholding to all 6 billion plus persons on the face of the planet? Should lines be drawn?, and if so, where?

Can a person *truly* be beholding to the plight of 6 billion others and maintain sanity? Or is this another exercise in lip service? :p

OK, so I make certain I am following; if I do *not* ignore the plight of my neighbor, and choose not to partake of the weekly fashion parade and not to sing songs of homage to a church...am I an hypocrit, or not?
No, the hypocrite I infer is someone who thinks they are a good person solely because they go to church and does not make any other ethical choices. Or, to put it another way, does not live the 'Christ' message but pays lip service to it for entirely selfish reasons. The church-going demographic here in the UK may be different than the one you see. And it seems to me to be little more than a parading of wealth and an excuse for a bitch about Mrs H who is wearing the same outfit she did last month. The average age of a church-goer here is pretty old. And they are a mean, austere group outwith their own personal display of wealth. But of course this is a generalisation and I am sure that a look at individuals would show a few exceptions to the rule. Still it in some way disgusts me to see them parading in at 11 on a sunday morning in their tweeds and furs dripping with gold and pearls. And I do see that every week from my window.

------
Once we get this settled, then we will need to flesh out precisely what is meant by "ignore the plight of my neighbor"...is my neighbor just those people next door? the same block? the same city? the same country?

The same name? the same skin color? the same philosophical / religious outlook? Or am I beholding to all 6 billion plus persons on the face of the planet? Should lines be drawn?, and if so, where?

Can a person *truly* be beholding to the plight of 6 billion others and maintain sanity? Or is this another exercise in lip service? :p
I think this comes down to your intent in life. Do you want to be a part of the cause for real progress, equality, justice and fairness or are you only concerned about whats in it for you. If everyone helped someone till the point that that person was able to do the same for someone else, what a difference that would make.

tao

If everyone helped someone till the point that that person was able to do the same for someone else, what a difference that would make.

I think the average joe / josephine would agree and could even be said to help someone else.

I was asking about helping anyone else...I see a huge difference.

If we only help our own; those that agree with us, look like us, believe as we do...what purpose is served?

However, if we can still find it within ourselves to reach out to those who are not our "own;" who disagree with us, who look different than we do, who do not necessarily believe as we believe without any attempt to convert them or change them...*then* we could be said to be making progress. Then I would agree that a difference was being made. ;)

I think the average joe / josephine would agree and could even be said to help someone else.

I was asking about helping anyone else...I see a huge difference.

If we only help our own; those that agree with us, look like us, believe as we do...what purpose is served?

However, if we can still find it within ourselves to reach out to those who are not our "own;" who disagree with us, who look different than we do, who do not necessarily believe as we believe without any attempt to convert them or change them...*then* we could be said to be making progress. Then I would agree that a difference was being made. ;)

Precisely why I am here :rolleyes:

tao

Who is gonna send in a paper?
Lyceum 2009
September 30-October 3, 2009
Science & Religion: An Evolving Dialogue

The Lyceum at Unity Village is an annual educational symposium open to teachers, writers and students of spiritual and theological studies. Guest speakers, visiting scholars, Unity Institute faculty and selected students present scholarly papers and participate in panel discussions on provocative topics in the field.

The major presenters at the 2009 Lyceum are Dr. Richard Randolph, Dr. Edgar Mitchell (walked on the moon) and Dr. Margaret Wheatley.
more...

Ok, I'm so torn in my choices.... I want to be everywhere...anyone got any thing you'd desire me to report on?

9:45-10:50 a.m.​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms
*Papers and Presentations - Session 1
1-1 “The Lost Sheep Parable Seen through the Lens of Spiral Dynamics” Lauri L. Boyd, Master’s Student, Unity Institute

1-2 “From Natural to Artificial Law and Back Again” Mark Chustz, Doctoral Student, Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy

1-3 “Democratizing Mystical Experience through the Use of the Twelve-Step recovery Method” Patrick Emmett, Doctoral Student, U of CA-Riverside

1-4 “Recent Artists on Neo-Platonic and Christian Theological Themes” Jonathan Yegge, Doctoral Student, Catholic University of
Leuven, Belgium

11:00-12:15 a.m.​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms

*Papers and Presentations - Session 2

2-1 "Philo, Fillmore, and the Future: Is Metaphysical Interpretation Still Valid?" Mark Fuss, Certificate in Ministry Student, Unity Institute

2-2 “The Reception of C.S. Lewis in America” Stephanie Derrick, Master of Church History Student, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

2-3 “The Sartorially Challenged Wedding Guest: Matthew 22:10- 14 in the Light of Jewish Thought” Rabbi Zev-Hayyim Feyer, Doctoral Student, Claremont University School of Religion

2-4 “Worldly Christian Spirituality and Politics: The Relationship between Bonhoeffer’s Later-Phase Understanding of the Church-World Relationship and His Forms of Political Involvement” David M. Gides, PhD

*Papers and Presentations - Session 3 3-1 Ethics and Contemporary Religion

“Behind Good and Evil: Toward Ethics without Morality” Rev. Scott W. Gustafson

“Network Theology: Thinking about God in the Age of Democracy, Evolution, and Global Capitalism” PhD Adam S. Miller, PhD
“Certainty Versus Uncertainty: Postmodernism and the Emerging Church” Shawn David Young, Doctoral Student, Michigan State University

3-2 Healing in History, Geopolitics, and Individual Experience

“Healing in the Middle Ages: A Radical Challenge to Literary Science” Michael P, McGlynn

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” PhD Mlen-Too Wesley Proffesor Penn State University

“Ernest Holmes and Religious Science: The Healing Trinity of Prayer, Treatment, and Meditation” , , PhD Pamela L. Bozeman, Master’s Religious Studies Student, University of North Carolina-Charlotte
3:15-5:15 p.m​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms. *Papers and Presentations - Session 4

4-1 Cross-Cultural Issues

“Media Bias and Religion: How Showtime’s Mini Series Sleeper Cell Frames Islam” Samuel Oduyela, M.A., Communications, Trinity University, Washington, D.C.; M.A., Religious Studies, University of Ibadan, Nigeria

“Religion, War and Healing: Faith to Survive War and Heal Emotional Wounds” Mlen-Too Wesley, PhD

SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms​
4-2 Constructive Theology: Re-Thinking Christianity for the Twenty-First Century

“Theobionome: An Alternative Approach to the Death of Jesus” “Reimagining Incarnation” Marcus Croom, Master’s Student, Shaw University Divinity School

“Why Every Christian Should ‘Quite Rightly Pass for an Atheist’” Aileen M. Fitzke, M.A. Jon Stanley, Doctoral Student, University for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada
11-12:15 SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms​
*Papers and Presentations – Session 6

6-1 “‘The entire universe is a sea of love’: Toward a Mystical Theology of Love in St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross” Cristobal Serran-Pagan Y Fuentes

6-2 “Separate but Equal: The New Paradigm for Evangelical Complementarians” PhD Courtney VanLacy, Master of Religious Studies Student, University of Missouri–Columbia

6-3 “Unity’s Fifth Principle: Social Action or Spiritual Practice?” Kelly Isola, Master’s Student

6-4 “Plato and the Platonic Tradition’s Contribution to Spiritualism in Western Civilization” Unity Institute Jerry Dell Ehrlich, PhD
3:15-5:15 p.m.​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 7

7-1 “The Church of the Future” Panel Discussion: Unity Institute Student Presenters and Visiting Students from other Academic Institutions
Moderator: Robert Fish, PhD., Faculty, Unity Institute

7-2 New Voices of Feminism

“Pluralists, Feminists, Panentheists: The Cosmological Shift to Panentheism for Theologies of Unity” Aimee Upjohn Light, PhD

“Christian Feminism without Racism and Anti-Semitism?: The Challenge of Creating a Liberating Christianity” Karen Seat, PhD

“Who Do I Say That I Am?” (Feminist Trinitarian Theology) Elizabeth A. Lee, Doctoral Student-Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, California
1-2:15 pm​
SLC Conf. Rooms UI Classrooms *Papers and Presentations - Session 9.

9-1 “Mysteries of the Bible: Clues in the Papers of Charles Fillmore” Eric E. Page, Archivist/Master’sStudent, Unity Institute

9-2 “Rock in the Road: Fall-Redemption Theology & Human Creative Potential” Connie Munro, Student, Licensed Unity Teacher

9-3 "Transfiguring Desire: Hearts of Flesh & the Breath of God" Deborah Rasa, M.A.

9-4 “How Will Today’s Church Fill the Pews Tomorrow?” Edwin Dee King, Unity of Nashville, TN

typical, like a groovy mega music festival where all the acts you want to see are scheduled at the same time/overlap AND theyre miles from each other AND your lugging supplies for the LONG day AND had a late night before the Early start seminar you REALLY shouldn't miss but you settle for 30% coverage and RETURN home exhausted and electrocuted [in a good way]. 1-3 sounds promising for addictive concerns [if you can handle buddys/mentors and have g*dtalk aversions].

They charge us $299 and they have rows of chairs for us:D

Okay, yeah thats the thing, everytime I go to one of these things they look at me coming in the door and set me to work setting up chairs and the like.

I went to a seminar up in Cripple Creek and got asked if I was with the maintenance crew and would I take a look at the sink in the gents.

gotta start dressing better... :eek:

typical, like a groovy mega music festival where all the acts you want to see are scheduled at the same time/overlap AND theyre miles from each other AND your lugging supplies for the LONG day AND had a late night before the Early start seminar you REALLY shouldn't miss but you settle for 30% coverage and RETURN home exhausted and electrocuted [in a good way]. 1-3 sounds promising for addictive concerns [if you can handle buddys/mentors and have g*dtalk aversions].
Exactly correct trying to choose was not always easy, at least they were close by...one conference room to the next or across the street to the auditorium...now to choose between this and CalJam I or II

Okay, yeah thats the thing, everytime I go to one of these things they look at me coming in the door and set me to work setting up chairs and the like.

I went to a seminar up in Cripple Creek and got asked if I was with the maintenance crew and would I take a look at the sink in the gents.

gotta start dressing better... :eek:
yes I believe there was a scholarship program of sorts...

the stuff l googled on Fillmore sounds interesting as an interface dialogue between religion/science, anyone here familiar with him?

No, the hypocrite I infer is someone who thinks they are a good person solely because they go to church and does not make any other ethical choices. Or, to put it another way, does not live the 'Christ' message but pays lip service to it for entirely selfish reasons. The church-going demographic here in the UK may be different than the one you see. And it seems to me to be little more than a parading of wealth and an excuse for a bitch about Mrs H who is wearing the same outfit she did last month. The average age of a church-goer here is pretty old. And they are a mean, austere group outwith their own personal display of wealth. But of course this is a generalisation and I am sure that a look at individuals would show a few exceptions to the rule. Still it in some way disgusts me to see them parading in at 11 on a sunday morning in their tweeds and furs dripping with gold and pearls. And I do see that every week from my window.

We Christians call those kinds of Christians hypocrites too. :)

Back