Joseph...?

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
Could you clear something up a little for me... Or at least get your take on it... Joseph son of Jacob... When he explained via the power of YHWH the dreams of pharaoh.... pharaoh made him basically the most powerful guy in all of egypt right? Like he held down the food... Seven years of famine and you are the one who has say on all.... That is some power... My question is to understand the behaviour of him towards his brothers? Why?

Namaste Alex,

Back up a little and read how he ended up in Egypt, ie behaviour of his brothers toward him.

He played with his brothers heads when he was in charge of the grain stores... nothing compared to what they did to him.

I did read it all.... As I said been going through the books... So you say he acted like this because of previous actions of his brothers? Not just his brothers heads... It was also his fathers head.... He was worried and in fear for his sons lives.... :/

you mean when they come to egypt? well, there is a wealth of midrash and commentary on it, as it is a most interesting piece of interaction. i can't really easily sum it up, but basically it is all down to how much you think the brothers originally mistreated him when he was sold into slavery and how much he had forgiven them and at which point.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I'd go back to the dream he had that cause his brothers to cast Joseph into a pit in the first place. His dream entailed the sun, the moon, and eleven stars to bow down to Joseph. It was a prophesy that Joe's bros didn't take a liking to.

When Joseph finally rose to power, and his brothers come looking for food, Joseph had his brothers go and fetch the youngest brother, Benjamin, presumably because he wanted to see all his brothers. But Joseph also screwed with their heads to see if they were honest by planting the money back into their bags, perhaps to bring them to humility.

To make a long story short, in Genesis 43:28, they ended up fulfilling that prophesy, by bowing down to Joseph.

But I like the ending:

"And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.' - Genesis 50:19-21

I'd go back to the dream he had that cause his brothers to cast Joseph into a pit in the first place. His dream entailed the sun, the moon, and eleven stars to bow down to Joseph. It was a prophesy that Joe's bros didn't take a liking to.

When Joseph finally rose to power, and his brothers come looking for food, Joseph had his brothers go and fetch the youngest brother, Benjamin, presumably because he wanted to see all his brothers. But Joseph also screwed with their heads to see if they were honest by planting the money back into their bags, perhaps to bring them to humility.

To make a long story short, in Genesis 43:28, they ended up fulfilling that prophesy, by bowing down to Joseph.

But I like the ending:

"And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.' - Genesis 50:19-21

Cheers Dondi! :D

but basically it is all down to how much you think the brothers originally mistreated him when he was sold into slavery and how much he had forgiven them and at which point.

b'shalom

bananabrain

What do you think?

"'Listen,' he said, 'I had another dream, and this time the sun and moon and eleven stars were bowing down to me'" (Genesis 37:9).

"Father, I dreamt of eleven stars and the sun and the moon; I saw them prostrate themselves before me" (Koran 12:3 or 4).

I was just thinking that maybe this is where Isaiah looked at the story of Joseph and developed this poetical passage:

"The stars of heaven and their constellations
will not show their light.
The rising sun will be darkened
and the moon will not give its light" (Isaiah 13:10).

BTW, Rumi has some great stuff on Joseph in his poems :)cool:). Check out The Essential Rumi.

Back