Inspiring/Interesting Quotes

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I'd create a thread where we can share quotes that we find inspiring, interesting, intriguing, mystifying, moving, motivating, enlightening, empowering, elegant,... well you get the idea.

:D

Courage is not simply one of the virtues but the form of every virtue at the testing point, which means at the point of highest reality.

--C. S. Lewis

"Is not prayer a study of the truth, a sally of the soul into the unfound infinite. No man ever prayed heartily without learning something." Ralph Waldo Emerson

earl

"Sometimes we hear things which we seemingly don’t understand. Nonetheless, they have a profound impact on our daily behavior. This is because our soul comprehends, and from that flows a stream of radiance that can illuminate our life."

"Is not prayer a study of the truth, a sally of the soul into the unfound infinite. No man ever prayed heartily without learning something." Ralph Waldo Emerson

earl

Interesting earl, today in Bible study we were discussing John 18:

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate asked him, "What is truth."

The greek word for truth used here, I understand, also means 'unforgetting God." So prayer is the remembering (un-forgetting) of God.

Interesting earl, today in Bible study we were discussing John 18:

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate asked him, "What is truth."

The greek word for truth used here, I understand, also means 'unforgetting God." So prayer is the remembering (un-forgetting) of God.

I like truth :)
Jesus said to him: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. john 14;6

"Sometimes we hear things which we seemingly don’t understand. Nonetheless, they have a profound impact on our daily behavior. This is because our soul comprehends, and from that flows a stream of radiance that can illuminate our life."

ooh, thats a nice one, Q. Where was or who was it from?

While most people view the Golden Rule as a moral teaching enunciated by Jesus, he himself stated

: "What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me."—John 7:16.

Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

A controversial thought in this day and age in which one is defined by their culture.

Man's main task in life is to give birth to himself, to become what he potentially is. -- Erich Fromm

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes
.Attributed to MARK TWAIN.

"everyday i wake up is good day" that was said to me by a random old man who was sharing a bench with me in a church yard while i was having my lunch.

"The purpose of a stew is to be so delicious that no one cares about the ingredients" --My Dad

Is this supposed to be only quotes pertaining to Christianity? If so, sorry for the intrusion.

My all time favorite quote:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Is this supposed to be only quotes pertaining to Christianity? If so, sorry for the intrusion.

My all time favorite quote:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

That is a great quote. :)

And, yes, I put the thread here hoping to attract Christian-related quotes and perspectives, but then it's possible I suppose to entertain any quote from a Christian perspective. :D

"Always treat others as you would like them to treat you."—Matthew 7:12, The New English Bible.

Back