Knowledge and the Spirit

Dream

Reaction score
Who in the forum says they have the worst understanding of Scripture? There is a question that never stops visiting my foolish mind: "Why doesn't Christ favor me above people who don't understand as well as me?" Another question that is always arriving and never going: "Why is my perspective so difficult to share with people?" These questions among others possess me repeatedly, and will not be exorcised. They are the questions indicative of fools. I've thought about and studied Scripture off and on for twenty short years under their tutelage, and during that time I've withheld myself from most dealings with people whom I consider un-spiritual. I've selflessly (selfishly more like it) pursued the disambiguation of spiritual terminology. The result is that I have achieved an in depth understanding of my own foolishness -- rich both in experiences and full of Scriptural revelation of that foolishness. What was my foolishness?

Who in the forum says they have the worst understanding of Scripture? There is a question that never stops visiting my foolish mind: "Why doesn't Christ favor me above people who don't understand as well as me?" Another question that is always arriving and never going: "Why is my perspective so difficult to share with people?" These questions among others possess me repeatedly, and will not be exorcised. They are the questions indicative of fools. I've thought about and studied Scripture off and on for twenty short years under their tutelage, and during that time I've withheld myself from most dealings with people whom I consider un-spiritual. I've selflessly (selfishly more like it) pursued the disambiguation of spiritual terminology. The result is that I have achieved an in depth understanding of my own foolishness -- rich both in experiences and full of Scriptural revelation of that foolishness. What was my foolishness?
Perhaps it's difficult to express because words won't suffice? (How do you sufficiently describe everything about the color green, much less all of the nuances in the scriptures?) Some things just have to be experienced.

I barely understand any scripture at all :eek:

All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work
.2 timothy 3;16-17

the bible is like a letter from God, and he wants us to read it so we can become better aquainted with him and his son Jesus christ .

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. JOHN 17;3

Iits all in the bible , for the taking

I believe that each person is going to have a somewhat different understanding of scriptures than anyone else. I also believe that God will reveal a meaning of something scriptural if He needs for the person to understand it.

I very much agree. :)

I third that and also put forth that the same scripture may mean different things to different people because it is what that person needs at the time in their spiritual journey. I think the scriptures are a living entity- it's an interactive activity, reading the scriptures.

You are in good company, Dream. Many lay people do not have a solid understanding of scripture. But I do not think that God requires us to be theologians. In fact, He favors using the foolish things of this world to confound the wise:

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:" - I Cor. 1:27-28

So, be a fool for Christ!

As far as obtaining widom, God is the one who delves that out, accordingly. We are each at diferent levels of our spirituality and understanding. I can look five, ten years back and see just how much I've grown in wisdom. I've taken steps forward and some steps back (in my own foolishness), but the important thing is that I believe I'm making progress.

Interestingly, just today as I read Proverbs, I came across this:

"Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding...She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens." - Proverbs 3:13, 18-19

And I was thinking "Wow", could it be that the Knowledge that we gained from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil must be tempered with the Wisdom from the Tree of Life?

Excellent point Dondi! Practice (tree of life) what you preach (tree of the knowledge of good and evil.)

From this perspective, here's a quote highlighting how sin can creep in:
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
~Chuck Reid

I give your post 11 stars out of 10 possible! :)

You are in good company, Dream. Many lay people do not have a solid understanding of scripture. But I do not think that God requires us to be theologians. In fact, He favors using the foolish things of this world to confound the wise:

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:" - I Cor. 1:27-28

So, be a fool for Christ!

As far as obtaining widom, God is the one who delves that out, accordingly. We are each at diferent levels of our spirituality and understanding. I can look five, ten years back and see just how much I've grown in wisdom. I've taken steps forward and some steps back (in my own foolishness), but the important thing is that I believe I'm making progress.

Interestingly, just today as I read Proverbs, I came across this:

"Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding...She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her. The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens." - Proverbs 3:13, 18-19

And I was thinking "Wow", could it be that the Knowledge that we gained from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil must be tempered with the Wisdom from the Tree of Life?
Indeed, a wonderful post. I agree we'll never "outsmart" God. earl

Dream: I fell the same way most of the time. I always ask God to bless me with the understanding of His words. Most of the time it goes unheeded. But nevertheless it doesn't stop me from praying and asking for wisdom and understanding the truth of Gods words. Like the old saying goes If God willing. For this truth is most important concerning God's will. Gods Will, will ALWAYS be done. Therefore if it is not in God's will for you to understand a certian scripture you will not. When God is ready for you to understand, then it will happen.

Darren

Hi Dream,
I'm not totally sure of your question, but: from the NASB
Mark 9:33- 35 ... "What were you discussing on the way? But they kept silent, for on the way they had discussed with one another which of them was the greatest. Sitting down, He called the twelve and said to them, "If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all."
Matt 5:44- 45 ... "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Mark 12 38-39 ...In His teaching He was saying: "Beware of the scribes who like to walk around in long robes, and like respectful greetings in the market places, and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets,
Romans 12:16 ... Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
Galatians 5:22-23 ...But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;...

I'm sure you've read these and the many others.
Joe

I believe that each person is going to have a somewhat different understanding of scriptures than anyone else. I also believe that God will reveal a meaning of something scriptural if He needs for the person to understand it.
Which is why scripture is ever new, to the new set of eyes that view it. The lessons needed are for the person reading and reach that person, in God's own time.

That makes scripture, personal as well as a basic operator's manual for man.

Dream,

Take some time to review the threads in the christian forum.... I think the majority of people have got a pretty good understanding of their own translations of scripture.

One verse can be read by six people and come out with six different understandings.... Why? Maybe one is told this is what it means so don't question it... So that one has that meaning..... Maybe the second looks towards symbolism, the next to how words are phrased, the next in comparing it with other scriptures... The next how it relates to them. There are so many different reasons that is just six of the possible reasons why the six would get different understandings... It can come down to age, experience, what culture you are from and so on soooooo many reasons... Then again, It is a book written for you. :)

I also believe that if one reads a scripture one day and the same one another day he/she may get a different meaning from it. We all have different moods, feelings, experiences every day. :)

I also believe that if one reads a scripture one day and the same one another day he/she may get a different meaning from it. We all have different moods, feelings, experiences every day. :)
i think this one would mean the same everyday regardless of what mood we may be in .
PSALM 83;18 KJV
JEHOVAH sure is the most high

i think this one would mean the same everyday regardless of what mood we may be in .
PSALM 83;18 KJV
JEHOVAH sure is the most high
Then you forget that humans are just that...human...Sometimes we get mad at dad, and he isn't so high on the list.

Fortunately, dads are aware of that, and so is God.

Then you forget that humans are just that...human...quote]

mee does not forget that JEHOVAH is the most high , no matter what mood i may be in .

if i am sad JEHOVAH is the most high :(

if i am happy JEHOVAH is the most high :)

even if i am mad JEHOVAH is still the most high :mad:

just as PSALM 83;18 informs mee

Back