Occupations

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
Im curious.. what does everyone do for a living?

I'll start with what I do.

I work for an auto loan lender in the collections dept. I write those little nasty letters some of you might have recieved (lol) that say you have so many days to cure your deliquency... blah blah blah..

I also manage our repo agents and make sure they have the correct insurance etc...

My job has bad karma and Ive been doing it for too long.. Im hoping to get some ideas from other places. I need another career path..

I have to say I have great job security .. because of the economy noones paying their bills but also noones buying cars... so who knows how it will go.

I work in the communication industry. I cant really say anymore than that though..I deal with a lot of "secret" stuff...

I work for an auto loan lender in the collections dept. I write those little nasty letters some of you might have recieved (lol) that say you have so many days to cure your deliquency... blah blah blah..

I also manage our repo agents and make sure they have the correct insurance etc...

My job has bad karma and Ive been doing it for too long.. Im hoping to get some ideas from other places. I need another career path..

I have to say I have great job security .. because of the economy noones paying their bills but also noones buying cars... so who knows how it will go.
I save people for a living.

yes, that's a double entendre... ;-)

Currently, I'm a professor of anthropology. I see myself as a facilitator for people to improve their understanding of and tolerance for one another. My research is also mostly focused on the sources of conflict and how people think, because I want to alleviate the suffering borne of conflict.

Basically, I try to look for jobs where I can promote peace, love, and understanding.

Unfortunately, these don't pay well and are hard to come by, and most unstable. :eek: Eh, I figure I do it as long as I can, and if I'm unable to continue it, I just do more practical things to pay my bills until I'm able to pursue my love of humanity professionally some more.

Currently, I'm a professor of anthropology. I see myself as a facilitator for people to improve their understanding of and tolerance for one another. My research is also mostly focused on the sources of conflict and how people think, because I want to alleviate the suffering borne of conflict.

Basically, I try to look for jobs where I can promote peace, love, and understanding.

Unfortunately, these don't pay well and are hard to come by, and most unstable. :eek: Eh, I figure I do it as long as I can, and if I'm unable to continue it, I just do more practical things to pay my bills until I'm able to pursue my love of humanity professionally some more.
hmmm consider becoming a "shrink" for soldiers...we could use all the help we can get...:eek:

I'm a stay-with-the-kids mom (we are not home all that much it seems!). My career BK was in plant genetics and molecular biology research and I also taught biology at the college level. Now I am involved in a number of volunteer activities, most of which are connected to my church and the girls' school. I am especially interested in programs that are aimed at reducing world hunger and poverty, locally and internationally.

My husband wishes I would do work that brings in an income instead of volunteering, but the way I see it it is important to give back to the world as much as you are in a position to do. So, anything that "I" do is really something "we" do. However, once my littlest one starts school full-time next year I really will need more to keep myself occupied. I hope to teach High Shcool biology or perhaps at a local CC because that would not require that I go back and get further certification (I've gone to school long enough thank you).

I'm a stay-with-the-kids mom (we are not home all that much it seems!). My career BK was in plant genetics and molecular biology research and I also taught biology at the college level. Now I am involved in a number of volunteer activities, most of which are connected to my church and the girls' school. I am especially interested in programs that are aimed at reducing world hunger and poverty, locally and internationally.

My husband wishes I would do work that brings in an income instead of volunteering, but the way I see it it is important to give back to the world as much as you are in a position to do. So, anything that "I" do is really something "we" do. However, once my littlest one starts school full-time next year I really will need more to keep myself occupied. I hope to teach High Shcool biology or perhaps at a local CC because that would not require that I go back and get further certification (I've gone to school long enough thank you).
You got kids right? lol You're in "School" every day...

Thats one of my dream jobs.. I wanted to be a wildlife biologist and study wolves. I used to visit a wolf sanctuary every summer and dream of it
Wolf Haven International | Welcome

But It never panned out so now I watch every documentary on Animal Planet, The Discovery Channel and National Geographic that I can. lol

Thats one of my dream jobs.. I wanted to be a wildlife biologist and study wolves. I used to visit a wolf sanctuary every summer and dream of it

But It never panned out so now I watch every documentary on Animal Planet, The Discovery Channel and National Geographic that I can. lol

That would be a great job. I have always worked with plants...never did like the dissecting animals part of biology, even though I'm not very squeamish. I also love wolves, well, pretty much any kind of animal. My daughter Grace is taking up after me.

We do not watch much AP anymore though because it seems like so many show are like animal 'cop' shows...and I hate those.

Yeah they make me very sad. The ones I love are Escape to Chimp Eden
Meerkat Manor, Orangutan Island..Because they are doing awesome things to help these endangered animals.. and these shows are making them money that they didnt have before so I support them by watching them faithfully.

This one Living with the Wolfman : Shaun Ellis : Animal Planet Is going to be really good I think... It starts in October.

I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I don't really want to grow up.

I tried a stint in the Navy, figured out fairly quickly that I have issues with authority. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...if I had only...I would be drawing that pension now and a paycheck somewhere else. Moral of the story kids...keep your nose clean for as long as you possibly can, and then a bit more...otherwise it will come back to haunt you for a loooooong time after.

Spent a lot of years in construction, did quite a bit of everything from carpentry to paper hanging, roofing to paint, drywall to form work (for concrete). I've helped build small houses, mansions, a hospital, several commercial projects, and even spent a brief time in the foundation pit for a high rise hotel. Then I fell off a roof and broke my leg, and my health took a severe turn after that.

Spent about 4 years as an over the road truck driver, was good enough that the last year and a half I trained new drivers. Loved the travel, but it didn't do my back any favors, so I got out at a convenient opportunity.

Spent a few years on disability, then took an opportunity to return to school and retrain for a desk job. Now I work at a hospital. Continued in school while working part time and completed a Bachelors degree in three years as a non-traditonal student, graduating Summa *** Laude. Still work at the same hospital, doing the same thing I did when I started, only I have been full time now for over 4 years and have long been off of disability (although I can go back if my health takes another dive).

Sorry if it seems I felt the need to give a life story to qualify myself...simply saying I am a ward clerk just doesn't seem to convey the essence. I am also a self guided student, way before I ever did the college thing, and I expect to continue as long as my mind stays healthy.

I am also a husband to my wife, a caretaker to my dog and a tank full of tetras. And just yesterday the wife and I were blessed (the day before our second anniversary) with two baby squirrels, a boy and a girl. Anybody got a clue about baby squirrels? I need all the help I can get, their eyes aren't even open yet.

Last edited:

Go (Dor too), and apply for an educational grant. Go get your degree. If you think you are quick enough, take the CLEP and GRE exams and knock two to four years off of your educational requirements.

What ever you do, go and do it, don't sit and think "what if".

my two nickels worth.

v/r

Joshua

Go (Dor too), and apply for an educational grant. Go get your degree. If you think you are quick enough, take the CLEP and GRE exams and knock two to four years off of your educational requirements.

What ever you do, go and do it, don't sit and think "what if".

my two nickels worth.

v/r

Joshua

I plan to.. and thank you for the wonderful ideas. Ive been thinking of going back to school when my daughter goes to college.. in about a year and a half :) maybe start by taking some internet courses.

I'm a "professional student" and I am what a friend calls an "information matchmaker" (I match people who have a particular question that they can't find the answer online with people who have access to the information.)

Examples of what I mean: one young lady had questions about a closed society from Russia and I "matched" her with my Russian Studies/Ethnic Studies professor (who got her in contact with a colleague studying that exact society), another young lady who had questions about Islam and I contacted thipps (this was when the Danish newspaper incident first "erupted") and a young man had a few questions concerning spices and their philosophical significance and I got him in contact with the proprietors of a local bulk spice shop that I'm a habitual customer of (they still continue the contact even after four years.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Faithful-I can understand how one's job responsibilities as in the example you started this thread with can at times be wearisome to the spirit. Certainly, if you find another path calling you, go for it. But, no matter how distasteful a particular job responsibility seems at times, if you can maintain in your heart and mind a loving wish of well-being for each individual you interact with, it will most certainly turn anything you need to do into an act of love.

Back