Whiskey ?

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
Any Whiskey Drinkers here ?

I started getting a taste for whiskey, or is it whisky ?

In moments of weakness, I've been known to; particularly Islays such as Laphroaig, Caol Ila and Lagavulin.

Whisky is the Scottish spelling, whiskey is the Irish.

Tao is also a partaker I feel. :)

s.

I had some Jamesons last month, and I got some Canadian Club yesterday, both are nice.

I'd say that the Jamesons had more character but the CC is quite nice.

prefer the brandy meeself:) and a bit of spanish carlos premira goes down a treat

The Tyrconnel is remarkably light but still manages to be pleasant, rather than insipid. I also find the Islays worth exploring. However, I'm mostly partial to cask strength bourbons and single-barrel bourbons.

I might try some straight rye whisky next.

I'll be having some CC with ice this evening, mmm :)

In moments of weakness, I've been known to; particularly Islays such as Laphroaig, Caol Ila and Lagavulin.

Whisky is the Scottish spelling, whiskey is the Irish.

Tao is also a partaker I feel. :)

s.

Mmm hmmm... it has been known :cool:

For a nice deep peaty flavour.... Ardbeg
For a sweeter mellower tipple Glenmorangie conditioned in port barrels.
As an everyday blend/mixer Whyte and McKays

This one's for you, Tao_Equus ;)
superstitionjd8.jpg

I use it in cakes (I put a shot or two in honeycake and I have a recipe for a cake that calls for 3/4 cup of whiskey [1/4 cup in the batter, 1/2 cup in the "soak"].)

I prefer aged single malt Scotch or aged Irish (occasionally a decent brand of bourbon or Canadian) but only rarely as a treat.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

i LOVE whiskey, it cures everything, and I only take it for medicinal purposes........................... NOT. Im a whiskey and dry fan, dry as in dry ginger ale. But since Ive been over here in the states, (LOL) I have discovered a lovely little mixer to have with my whiskey, its a ginger beer and its sooooooo nice, but i cant remember the name of it. (that is called Whiskey brain. lol)Its something llike werners, or vernons? anyway, i like whiskey. a lot. lol. My favourit is Ballantynes, but that is mainly because of the price factor, its a middle priced whiskey and good quality. Ive have tasted some Home made stuff and it tasted like paint stripper, but i managed to get through it, ok. LOL.

i LOVE whiskey, it cures everything, and I only take it for medicinal purposes........................... NOT. Im a whiskey and dry fan, dry as in dry ginger ale. But since Ive been over here in the states, (LOL) I have discovered a lovely little mixer to have with my whiskey, its a ginger beer and its sooooooo nice, but i cant remember the name of it. (that is called Whiskey brain. lol)Its something llike werners, or vernons? anyway, i like whiskey. a lot. lol. My favourite is Ballantynes, but that is mainly because of the price factor, its a middle priced whiskey and good quality. Ive have tasted some Home made stuff and it tasted like paint stripper, but i managed to get through it, ok. LOL.

Vernor's Ginger Ale! That stuff is to kill for!

My late dad introduced me to it when I was a wee lass (since I just adore the drier ginger ales and ginger beers) and the only thing prohibiting me from getting it is the price (he grew up not far from Detroit, so he was rather familiar with the product.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
That's it Phyyli, I knew you would know. LOL. Its the best. Im a big fan, now I just have to work a way to ship it to Oz. LOL. yum yum yum. We have a great ginger beer in Oz, its called Bundaberg Ginger Beer, its a little "thicker" in taste to the Vernors but they are both mighty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh m'gosh!

The Glenmorange is missing!
The Glenlivet bottle is dry,
The Laphroaig has but a few drams left -
How am I to survive?

Well, I have, at least, have some Tomatin left to sip gently after desert.

While I had started down the road of the Adult Beverages of life with Rye and Bourbon, I had found that the lighter blended whiskeys, like Canadian Club, tasted to me as if they had been watered down. As to bourbons, Maker's Mark is oh-so-smooth yet medium-to full-bodied.

Like greymare, I too take whiskey only for its medicinal purposes (cough), but then (cough-cough) I have been so-oo sick lately (cough).:D

Clontarf single-malt Irish is such a treat. I mainly prefer my whiskeys "neat."

Suggestion.
Ginger ale is the "trick" in taste-testing whiskeys and works especially well for the fuller-bodied varieties such as Bourbon and Rye. In a tall glass place one tablespoon of the test whiskey to 4-6 fl oz of light-bodied ginger ale. The subtleties, hidden and "off" flavours of the whiskey are then revealed.

Rye is "bold as brass and twice a strong". Please try the suggestion above first if you are more used to partaking of the the lighter blends.

Back