Atheist Adverts

The link worked for me in IE using the 'open in another tab' option.

I don't think it has true polarizing potential to cause people to be honest about what they think. Those connected with religion have every reason to remain religious, and those connected with the unreligious have reason not to.

The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large

Pretty harmless IMHO.

thinking is anathema to religion

I don't like that. It's suggesting that people deeply devoted to a religion don't think. How rude!:eek:

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.

Why doesn't someone post advertisements on Buddhism, Judaism, Islam and on studying the Kabbala? Why just Christianity?

It's not uncommon these days to have advertisements that say, "Join this. Get involved in this. Join that. Get involved in that."

Why doesn't someone post advertisements on Buddhism, Judaism, Islam and on studying the Kabbala? Why just Christianity?

Good point. But I think they do and they don't, depending on who exactly it is that you're referring to. It's in the same ball park as to if someone knocks unexpectedly on your door it could be a Jehovah's Witness but it won't be a Buddhist, for instance. To evangelise or not, that is the question. :)

s.

To me yes. How about you? How about the Londoners that may see them? May stimulate a little comment? A lot of debate?

s.

Maybe not if it asks you to join an organisation.:) Otherwise it's just a waste of money because it doesn't get people involved in something. It may stimulate discussion, but the question has pretty much been ringing in people's heads for a long time. If they didn't change their minds then, they wouldn't change their minds now. If you're not starting a movement, yes, it's pretty pointless.

Say . . . you become a member of the Atheist Society of Britain. You become a part of the world-wide collective of atheists.

Maybe you should get people to attend a seminar. Hear Richard Dawkins present the case for why there is probably no God.

Form a community. Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, homosexuals, Greeks, Italians, Chinese people, (and lol, neo-Nazis and extraterrestrials) etc. often bundle together in a community. Why not atheists? Have a special bar or club or something for atheists only. Congregate.

To me yes. How about you? How about the Londoners that may see them? May stimulate a little comment? A lot of debate?

s.

Depends on how many new members it brings the Humanists I suppose. They do do good campaigning work that I support. But I dislike Dawkins association with it, and his comments less. After it is all done and dusted i dont think it will have made one blind bit of difference to anything or anyone. The message itself I find too lame, not in the least provocative. If it were me writing it it would be a good bit closer to the bone. But perhaps what Atheism needs now is a martyr, perhaps Dawkins needs burned alive atop a pire of copies of The God Delusion? Maybe I should write to him and ask if he is willing to give such a scarafice for the common good?

tao

Depends on how many new members it brings the Humanists I suppose. They do do good campaigning work that I support. But I dislike Dawkins association with it, and his comments less. After it is all done and dusted i dont think it will have made one blind bit of difference to anything or anyone. The message itself I find too lame, not in the least provocative. If it were me writing it it would be a good bit closer to the bone. But perhaps what Atheism needs now is a martyr, perhaps Dawkins needs burned alive atop a pire of copies of The God Delusion? Maybe I should write to him and ask if he is willing to give such a scarafice for the common good?

tao

I did wonder at the word "probably" in the slogan. Bit LibDem isn't it :p

As for Dawkins, do you think he has really heavy security these days? I think I would. :(

s.

Yep. Nobody has proved or disproved God, so printing "there's probably no God" makes them look total knobs in my opinion.
Ooooooo we'll say there probably isn't a God, just incase there is, to cover our butts, and he will be less harsher with us later on if he exists! A true Atheist would say there is no God, AT ALL! (I have been an Atheist!)
I'm not interested in seeing somebody elses opinion slapped on the side of public transport when I go out, if I want to read it i'll go to the library.
Still, nothing much surprises me in this stupid contry we live in.

Yep. Nobody has proved or disproved God, so printing "there's probably no God" makes them look total knobs in my opinion.
Ooooooo we'll say there probably isn't a God, just incase there is, to cover our butts, and he will be less harsher with us later on if he exists! A true Atheist would say there is no God, AT ALL! (I have been an Atheist!)
I'm not interested in seeing somebody elses opinion slapped on the side of public transport when I go out, if I want to read it i'll go to the library.
Still, nothing much surprises me in this stupid contry we live in.

LMAO Penguin. And the signs on so many churches with their guilt and fear propaganda are what? Atheists say there is "probably" no God because they are honest and admit they are not sure. Blind surety is for the faithful.

tao

LMAO Penguin.

Hee hee hee :)

And the signs on so many churches with their guilt and fear propaganda are what?

I'm sorry you feel like that for those signs. Some I find funny, some untrue I admit, but most hit home to me like a slap round the face with a wet kipper!
I've never had them rammed down my throat in public before though, to see them I've had to walk to a church and make the effort. Everybody has different exepriences of them in their own public area. I'll get those nasty buses with there slogans. I'll be going out with pocket fulls of drawing pin's and ploughing the fields and scattering them on the roads so those naughty buses get punctures and can't run! LOL :D

Atheists say there is "probably" no God because they are honest and admit they are not sure.

That's fair enough. When I was an Atheist I never said "probably", I said "there is not" It was balls out, sheer denial for me! Rock and roll baby! It seems like such a cop out to me when they use the term "probably" Although I don't know you Tao you seem 100% sure there is no God and remain true to yourself.

Blind surety is for the faithful.

That's confused me, but it doesn't take much!:)

All the best.

I'm sorry you feel like that for those signs. Some I find funny, some untrue I admit, but most hit home to me like a slap round the face with a wet kipper!
Not 2 wet kippers and 5 loaves? :rolleyes:
I've never had them rammed down my throat in public before though, to see them I've had to walk to a church and make the effort. Everybody has different exepriences of them in their own public area.
Well inside the buses here in Edinburgh I have seen ads for the Evangelical Church, "Bethany" which not only promotes creationism but promises you'l find a "nice" girlfriend or boyfriend there too. This is a cult that is allowed to advertise on publicly funded transport. I find that very, very wrong. I also saw their ads on CR before Brian stopped the crap.

I'll get those nasty buses with there slogans. I'll be going out with pocket fulls of drawing pin's and ploughing the fields and scattering them on the roads so those naughty buses get punctures and can't run! LOL :D
LMAO, you anarchrist you!!

That's fair enough. When I was an Atheist I never said "probably", I said "there is not" It was balls out, sheer denial for me! Rock and roll baby! It seems like such a cop out to me when they use the term "probably" Although I don't know you Tao you seem 100% sure there is no God and remain true to yourself.
I am only sure that I have seen not one nano-fragment of evidence to support any creator, let alone one thats keeping tally of how many times I have jumped into a married womans bed ;)

tao

Not 2 wet kippers and 5 loaves? :rolleyes:

lol nice analogy, sharp as usual :)

Well inside the buses here in Edinburgh I have seen ads for the Evangelical Church, "Bethany" which not only promotes creationism but promises you'l find a "nice" girlfriend or boyfriend there too. This is a cult that is allowed to advertise on publicly funded transport. I find that very, very wrong. I also saw their ads on CR before Brian stopped the crap.

I've always wanted to go to Edinburgh. Ad's actually inside the bus e'h, there's not much escape from that is there. If it was any type of advertisement, for any type of religion you would still find it unacceptable though? Do you have a "limit" or is it zero tolerance? I'd be interested to know. Many thanks.

LMAO, you anarchrist you!!

Hee hee hee Penguin is calm till provoked:)

I am only sure that I have seen not one nano-fragment of evidence to support any creator

Fair enough.

let alone one thats keeping tally of how many times I have jumped into a married womans bed ;)

Dear oh dear, that doesn't sound good. A one way ticket to pain.

Back