Is G!d a problem?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Here at Lyceum this was tonights discussion.

Is G!d a problem?

There was an earlier discussion on the change of the Unity Institute being a place to teach and ordain ministers to its transformation to a masters program in religious studies and theology, what it lost and what it gained.

But then it moved on to what outdated perceptions of G!d we are holding onto and how that affects our beliefs and others beliefs about our beliefs.

@ Wil

Hello Wil. Could you please be specific as to what "outdated perceptions" you believe we are holding on to?

Hello Wil. Could you please be specific as to what "outdated perceptions" you believe we are holding on to?
I actually don't know what you believe. For the most part I think the portion of G!d we perceive is the portion that we are holding on to and the portion we can't understand is the portion that isn't man made.

But for many of us the santa, the he, the human, the larger than life anthropomorphic parts...both physical and emotional.

@ Wil

For the most part I think the portion of G!d we perceive is the portion that we are holding on to and the portion we can't understand is the portion that isn't man made.

You basically said that: The portion that is real, is the portion that we can't understand. Well, according to this statement, all beliefs are problematic, and to say that everything is problematic is the same as saying nothing is problematic.

I agree with Alex... a problem might exist, but it isn't God.

Namaste wil,

interesting thread.

well... i'd have to say that "no, God is not a problem" insomuch as there is no God to be a problem. there is, it would seem, an issue with some believers in God and their actions. of course such can be said for nearly every group of beings regardless of why they are grouped together but then this discussion is focused upon deity.

metta,

~v

c0de;168907 I agree with Alex... a problem might exist said:
VERY TRUE :)

the God of the bible is not a God of confusion , but manmade doctrines make him into one .
"God is not a God of confusion."—1 Corinthians 14:33, Revised Standard Version (RS).

@ Wil

You basically said that: The portion that is real, is the portion that we can't understand. Well, according to this statement, all beliefs are problematic, and to say that everything is problematic is the same as saying nothing is problematic.

I agree with Alex... a problem might exist, but it isn't God.

Amazing, from one perspective this could be argumentum ad logicam, but from another it is really quite profound, almost zen-like.

God doesn't kill people; people kill people.

We are soley accountable for our actions and the consequences they create.. To blame another.. (In this case the most supreme and merciful) Is a very human condition... Pass the buck :) I'm not the problem... He is, she is, they are... God is :eek:

Majority of the time it is most common to be swift to point the finger than to unite for a solution.

I doubt very much that God is a problem, but our perception of God could be a problem. It is our perception or understanding of God that probably inspires us to act. The way I understand it is that we -- human beings -- are the problem.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

God doesn't kill people; people kill people.
which religion is that?
I doubt very much that God is a problem, but our perception of God could be a problem. It is our perception or understanding of God that probably inspires us to act. The way I understand it is that we -- human beings -- are the problem.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage
Namaste my brother, exactly where the discourse went. Our perceptions cause all the strife found on these boards and in our world.

In the beginning...

What beginning?

God is not a problem. There is no God that can be observed to do any of the "goddy" things religions say god(s) can do. The only problem with god is that mankind ever invented the notion.

tao

@ Tao

The only problem with god is that mankind ever invented the notion.

A German thinker once said "Artificial fertilizer sowed the seeds of atheism." The illusion of self-sufficiency and control, is what allows man to question God's existence. No one when faced with dire circumstances, and helplessness can seriously claim to hold onto atheism. I don't care what Nietzsche says or pretends, I know in his darkest moments, he cried to God. Maybe God answered, and he forgot the favor, or maybe he was left alone, and so he became indignant.

@ Tao

A German thinker once said "Artificial fertilizer sowed the seeds of atheism." The illusion of self-sufficiency and control, is what allows man to question God's existence. No one when faced with dire circumstances, and helplessness can seriously claim to hold onto atheism. I don't care what Nietzsche says or pretends, I know in his darkest moments, he cried to God. Maybe God answered, and he forgot the favor, or maybe he was left alone, and so he became indignant.
And good old fashioned bull manure has been the staple fertiliser of religion since the dawn of intellect. Test after test shows that in our "darkest moments" we are most likely to make irrational and illogical assumptions and decisions. And religions have been ever ready and willing, like vultures about a dying animal, to capitalise on that. I note that yet again you find yourself thinking for, and applying your own ego to, not one of us this time but to one of the great thinkers of recent history. I do not know what your personal story is, but I know I have had some pretty dark moments and they did not scream at me to adopt superstition as a salve.

tao

Back