"Justice" for a Rape Victim

Amica

Reaction score
Salaam,

I could not help but publish this post. A 13 years old girl, who reported being raped by three men, just recently was stoned to death in Somalia. The perpertrators of the crime (rape) have not been punished. How shameful for all of us Muslims to allow such violent attrocities to be commited in certain communities where we are majority.Stoning is not prescribed by the Holy Qur'an.

#1 No where in the Qur'an does it speak of a victim of a violence having to be punished for a crime commited against him/her.
#2 Adultery is not being a rape victim, it is when two or more people consentually agree to engage in sexual acts/behaviors.
#3 Even if rape would be defined as adultery (I believe, and I am sure most of you do--rape is not adultery by the victim), according to the Qur'an, those who committed adultery are to be punished by lashing and home imprisonment, unless they repent.

I believe that those who allowed rapists to go unpunished and who killed the 13 years old girl should be severely punished for murder.

I thank Allah Allmighty every second for I do not live there where women are treated in an unislamic manner! I pray to Him that someday, freedom will come to those who are opressed by certain individuals who make up laws on their own and then claim it is from Allah AllMerciful.

Rest assured that God Almighty will judge her oppressors.
The men who committed the crime,
the men who punished the victim
the men who stood by and did nothing....

This is the pathetic state of our 'humanity' today...
Utterly hopeless... spineless... wretched!

No such thing as coincidence...

Just 20 mins ago as I finished typing the post above I noticed a documentary on TV that was playing right now titled "Sex workers or victims?" ... I just caught the last 15 minutes... I've seen other reports by this same journalist, her name is Lisa Ling....

It showed the plight of women in the US who get exploited and forced into prostitution in ages as young as 11... Once caught in the vicious cycle, they usually end up being caught, and then sent to prison...

Forced into prostitution.... raped.... beaten by their pimps.. and then when they have nothing left, no familly, no friends, no education... no possibilities to improve themselves... its then they get caught, and the system has no place to send them but jail !

.... wait... crap... another documentary just started on the same channel... "slave girls of India"....

... I think i need sleep...

... i hate this world...

to hell with this world man...

ISTM that we need to stand against this kind of thing. Write, protest, talk with leaders of countries, religions, etc. This sort of thing is unjust and unacceptable.

It showed the plight of women in the US who get exploited and forced into prostitution in ages as young as 11... Once caught in the vicious cycle, they usually end up being caught, and then sent to prison...

Forced into prostitution.... raped.... beaten by their pimps.. and then when they have nothing left, no familly, no friends, no education... no possibilities to improve themselves... its then they get caught, and the system has no place to send them but jail !

I thought the case of girls being raped and then punished for a crime being committed against them was absurd, but considering what you just said, I think I understand now why they punished the girls instead of the men. Society's perception was that the girls were prostitutes, or the equivalent of the prostitutes in Western culture. In Western cultures, prostitutes who live as "sex slaves" or "sex workers" generally work in brothels. I can imagine then, that in the culture in which this girl was raped, she may not have been a prostitute in the Western sense, but people saw her as just another misbehaving rogue (possibly because of the way she dressed), that she was "in the business" of prostitution and because, as it was perceived by the society, it was her job to give her body away to men for sex, people believed she deserved it.

If there is anything that disturbs me about locking up and punishing prostitutes, it is that people seem to forget that the men who raped her are practically participants in the activity that the punishment seeks to condemn. You can condemn, disdain and look down on a woman for being a prostitute and declare that she deserves it because she offers her body to men for sex, but then you could also say that the men who receive her services are actually promoting the practice of prostitution. If promotion of prostitution is wrong and the woman is being punished for promoting it, then should the men also not receive punishment as well?

If prostitution is such a shameful practice and you would go so far as to condemn, disdain and look down on a woman for being a prostitute, should the shame also extend to the men who promote and participate in it? I would say this should apply in the U.S., and not just some society with religion as part of its national psyche.

In saying all this, I don't want to give people the wrong idea. Firstly, I'm not heaping hot red coals on the practice of prostitution. Many societies have tolerated it as a means by which a man can have his "needs satisfied." Secondly, being a prostitute is not the same as being a rape victim. A person being raped is not being a prostitute. Prostitution is a job, a career. Rape is a violation of woman's sexual dignity. What I am led to say is that the act of punishing a woman for being a prostitute seems to neglect the fact that the men who rape "prostitutes" are actually promoting the "prostitution."

@ Kiwi + Salt

Kiwi

ISTM that we need to stand against this kind of thing. Write, protest, talk with leaders of countries, religions, etc. This sort of thing is unjust and unacceptable.

That won't do anything... You can't fix these problems with protests... The leaders are corrupt, the system is rotten.. society is lost...

What I am wondering is whether such situations warrant vigilante justice. According to Islam, Muslims are not allowed to go against the laws of the land. Unless, those laws begin to oppress a man's religion... If the state outlaws religion, then and only then a Muslim is allowed to rise against the state, but even in that case the better option (as per the example of the Prophet) is migration to a better land. But what if the state's laws force oppression on its own people? What if that oppression is so plain and obvious that it goes beyond any subjective theories?

I have thought about this question before... There is this society operating somewhere in the South East Asia, which rescues sex slaves from brothels and takes them to a secret island location. It is militant group, whose members are former Spec Ops operatives. The documentary showed their tactics and their results. This organization operated outside the law. But the main problem I found out latter was that this group also had political ambitions...

The more I think about this problem, the more hopeless the answers become. The biggest problem is that any vigilante organization can very quickly turn from good, to bad. Unless its members/leadership are extremely self-controlled, and wise.... its Rules of Engagement can be corrupted very easily. What started as a small organization to help the common man, will rise in ambition to become their self-proclaimed leaders and attempt to start a "revolution"... ultimately causing untold despair on the very people they hoped to rescue... corrupting themselves, their goals, and society further...

... But all of this is a moot point if it turns out that such actions are outside the scope of Islam to begin with... And as far as I know, vigilantism is not allowed.... I just wonder if there is any circumstance in which it would be.

Salt

If prostitution is such a shameful practice and you would go so far as to condemn, disdain and look down on a woman for being a prostitute, should the shame also extend to the men who promote and participate in it?
Officially the laws do condemn both men and women equally... but in practice it is the women who take the brunt of the punishment. It is just easier to catch women who are offering sex then the "men" who are their employers or who buy their services...

Then you would be a murderer and no better... :)Oh how the mind "rationalises" and just continues the vicious circle of hate and death....

Not only that, but much worse... Unlike a murderer whose example is used to warn, my example in such a case might be used to inspire (mislead) others into following my own misguided steps.

No wonder vigilantism is not allowed...

Unfrotunately this is the sort of crazy thing that happens when armed insurgents take over an area.

Sharia courts took over the region in 2006 and relative stability arrived but the US started talking about links to al-Qaida, so backed by the UN Ethiopia was encouraged to invade and removed them from power. The area has been very unstable since. Their leaders left the country and the remaining "fighters" turned to guerrilla warfare.

This is just a way of controlling people and showing power ... shamefull.

Unfortunately all the military action has achieved is to drive out the moderates and hand control to extremist warlords, so unfortunately I doubt it is the last time we hear of such awful abuses of power or oppression of women.

Nothing in Sharia law allows a rape victim to be punished for adultery, it is only human desire that leads to such injustices. This girls was not married so the maximum punishment that could be given if she was a willing participant is lashes but a rape victim should never be punished.

I hope you will all join me in prayer for Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow, the victim.

Back