Christian Mysticism

soma

Reaction score
Christ taught us that God is love, and we saw a sample of it in his compassion and suffering for the mediocre sinners in this world. Through Christ a new concept of God emerged because prior to him most people feared God. This teaching of love is more demanding and more important than his other lessons because it is the main belief of all Christians. I believe that Christian Mysticism is an inner path to understand that meaning of love. Love maintains our sense of unity with a presence and power that is greater than what we think we are. Mysticism is an experience of that unity and love that can't be placed with words so people try to describe the experience or how to obtain it. This might be new to some people and it might be dismissed as New Age similar to what I am sure Jesus experienced with his teachings. I think the experience says it all.

Christ taught us that God is love, and we saw a sample of it in his compassion and suffering for the mediocre sinners in this world. Through Christ a new concept of God emerged because prior to him most people feared God. This teaching of love is more demanding and more important than his other lessons because it is the main belief of all Christians. I believe that Christian Mysticism is an inner path to understand that meaning of love. Love maintains our sense of unity with a presence and power that is greater than what we think we are. Mysticism is an experience of that unity and love that can't be placed with words so people try to describe the experience or how to obtain it. This might be new to some people and it might be dismissed as New Age similar to what I am sure Jesus experienced with his teachings. I think the experience says it all.

Good post and I agree. :)

Yes, it is. Namaskar!

May we all recognize and express the joy of the infant, infinite.

So do you consider yourself a member of any sect or denomination?

Do you consider yourself close to New Thought, or New Age?

I actually do not know much about Christian mysticism, however this book is definitely in the zone of what's being discussed: The Evolution of Conciousness: The Ultimate Christian Goal. Here's a quotation from page 6: "The vigilance to stay in the ark of pure conciousness takes discipline, but satisfies our basic spiritual need by acting as a counterweight to the ever increasing nervous, mental and physical tensions in modern life." Sort of a foreshadowing of the book's content, I suspect. Here's a link to the limited preview on Google Books: Evolution of Consciousness: The ... - Google Book Search

I have to say, having looked through the site only briefly, I find it surprising that although entitled "Christian Mysticism", there is nothing about the Mystery of Christ presented therein — just spirituality as a generic and empirically-determined condition.

This conforms to the modern idea that spirituality can be divorced from religion and rendered a science, and in so doing that science should replace religion by assuming all its functions it sees as valid, and disposing of those it does not.

Thomas

Christian Mysticism as described in that site sounds very attractive, but I can't help but notice that it seems all about putting the individual in control. I think more balance is necessary between our personal experience and our connection to the Body of Christ in the Church. Gnosticism, Mysticism (as it is being popularly used today) and even the Emerging Church (whch I also find very attractive in many respects) minimize or eliminate half of the equation.

lunamoth said:
Christian Mysticism as described in that site sounds very attractive, but I can't help but notice that it seems all about putting the individual in control. I think more balance is necessary between our personal experience and our connection to the Body of Christ in the Church...
I don't really know what balance you're referring to. The author is a practicing Catholic who began as a protestant. He seems to me to think that language is too limited to fully explain spiritual concepts, but I think he's a Catholic in good standing. Part of the site is about meditation, part I don't really get and is outside my book range.

He seems to me to think that language is too limited to fully explain spiritual concepts, but I think he's a Catholic in good standing.
I would rather say its his understanding of the concepts that is limited. Certainly his explanation of doctrine is a bit creaky.

Three things about Christian Mysticism:
1 — Being a mystic in the experiential sense is not something you do, it's something that happens, it's a grace and a gift of the divine. You can't train for it, you can't induce it, you can't force it, you can't practice it.

There are many and diverse forms; volative, experiential, visionary, speculative ... all different degrees. Meister Eckhart, for example, is regarded by many as 'The Prince of Mystics' and yet we have no evidence that he actually experienced anything, and much of what is attributed to him is not necessarily original. The 'zenlike' insights that are supposedly unique to Eckhart are there in Albertus Magnus, for example, his Dominican Master — but no-one calls him a mystic.

2 — Christian Mysticism is not about meditation. In the Christian way, 'meditation' is a preliminary practice to prepare the way for prayer. Prayer is the Alpha and Omega of Christian Mysticism.

3 — Christian Mysticism is not about the self, it's about God — today mysticism in general is being purveyed as a consumer-orientated product: 'do this and your life will be enhanced', in the same way that meditation and yoga have been trashed.

I'm not saying there are no benefits, but I am saying that 'feeling good' or smiling at yourself in the mirror is not what they are about.

Lastly, I'd say Christian Mysticism is tough, and costs everything.

+++

My take on the above site is it does not claim to be about Christian Mysticism, and when it does, it's off into its own assumptions.

Both to me are all soundbite, sentiment and no substance, and seems mainly psychological, which is not what Christian Mysticism is about, and suggests no real sense of what the term implies.

I suppose my point is, if I want to understand Christian Mystics, I go to the source, not someone's shot-in-the-dark about what they think it is.

There's a huge and, to me, jaw-droppingly fabulous library of Christian Mystical texts, but they are hard reads; and there are informed and insightful commentaries on those texts ... and these sites aren't it.

Thomas

As a Christian I feel what is needed is not submission to an external authority, a flawless book, or a rigid church that divides and eliminates, but an inward realization of God that unites. We need to test our realization with reason, witness it at work and perceive the unity of everything in pure consciousness. I feel we should go within ourself to the source of Christian Mysticism and witness Christian Mysticism there. It is not in a book, a definition or a Holy Place. One can't pay for the experience or get it from a book or a site.

The goal is not to find out what Christian Mysticism is not, but to find the original spiritual experience is.

Many conservative Christians say my thoughts are New Age, but they don't understand or know what New Age is. The Mystical experience is where one finds the source of all religions.

As a Christian I feel what is needed is not submission to an external authority, a flawless book, or a rigid church that divides and eliminates, but an inward realization of God that unites.
Interesting ... as Christ Himself preached submission to an external authority, the value of a flawless book, and founded a Church with the power to lock and unlock ... so I'm not sure you can qualify your opinion as 'Christian' at all — it's certainly not what Christ said.

We need to test our realization with reason,
So God must conform Himself to the limits of human reason? Who's limits? Yours ... mine ... ?

witness it at work and perceive the unity of everything in pure consciousness.
Christian Mysticism has nothing to do with 'pure consciousness' — consciousness, even of the purest order, is an operation of the rational intellect.

Christian Mysticism infers something transcending the human order. My argument with modernity is its tendency to 'reduce' the trancendent to something it can measure (materialism) and manage (egoism), then package, market and sell (consumerism). I notice that the site is flogging a book, and the very title of the book 'The Evolution of Consciousness' tells you it's nothing to do with Christianity, or mysticism.

In fact I would not even call it 'spiritual materialism'; it's 'spirituality in a box' — psychology masquerading as spirituality.

I feel we should go within ourself to the source of Christian Mysticism and witness Christian Mysticism there.
But if you read the mystics, that's not where it is.

It is not in a book, a definition or a Holy Place. One can't pay for the experience or get it from a book or a site.
That I can agree with.

The goal is not to find out what Christian Mysticism is not, but to find the original spiritual experience is.
Then don't look at derivative sources. Look at the mystics themselves, and what they do, and what they say.

... but they don't understand or know what New Age is. The Mystical experience is where one finds the source of all religions.
That very idea is a product of the New Age, it assumes that the source of all can be known, as if by triangulating the Sacred Scriptures of the world one can arrive at the definitive meta-scripture. In fact the reverse is the opposite, the things all traditions have in common are so because man is man everywhere — so what the New Age determines as 'universal' and 'transcendent' is actually quite mundane and superficial.

The New Age knows a great many things, about a great many things, none of which it can claim as 'its own', and none of which it understands in any depth or detail.

Thomas

As a Christian I feel what is needed is not submission to an external authority, a flawless book, or a rigid church that divides and eliminates, but an inward realization of God that unites. We need to test our realization with reason, witness it at work and perceive the unity of everything in pure consciousness. I feel we should go within ourself to the source of Christian Mysticism and witness Christian Mysticism there. It is not in a book, a definition or a Holy Place. One can't pay for the experience or get it from a book or a site.

Many conservative Christians say my thoughts are New Age, but they don't understand or know what New Age is. The Mystical experience is where one finds the source of all religions.

The trouble is that only a small part of you wants this experience. It means death to the dominant personality that is sustained by inner lies. This is why it is so dificult for all of us. We are. as Paul said, the Wretched Man.

Simone Weil had the power of attention capable of becoming open to this experience and the willingness to sacrifice her inner lies. Most cannot anymore then the rich man in the bible could abandon what he was attached to in order to experience the pearl of great price. We have become so conditioned by our dominant personalities that it refuses to die for the sake of allowing the nourishment for the life of the developing soul

"Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it We must continually suspend the work of the imagination in filling the void within ourselves."
"In no matter what circumstances, if the imagination is stopped from pouring itself out, we have a void (the poor in spirit). In no matter what circumstances... imagination can fill the void. This is why the average human beings can become prisoners, slaves, prostitutes, and pass thru no matter what suffering without being purified."

"That is why we fly from the inner void, since God might steal into it. It is not the pursuit of pleasure and the aversion for effort which causes sin, but fear of God. We know that we cannot see him face to face without dying, and we do not want to die." Simone Weil
-- Gravity and Grace
Most of what I've read concerning New Age mysticism refers to creating the imagination that fills the void. Yet I believe the Christian as distinct from Christendom strives to keep the void open to receive grace.

"That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou has sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."
Jesus
John 17: 21 -23
We are one in God's pure consciousness.

The soul that is attached to anything however much good there may be in it, will not arrive at the liberty of divine union. For whether it be a strong wire rope or a slender and delicate thread that holds the bird, it matters not, if it really holds it fast; for, until the cord be broken the bird cannot fly.
as4.gif
St. John of the Cross
Test your reason I will test mine. The mind attaches and binds, the soul is free. The dominant personality is a mental attachment.

"Surely you know that you are God's temple, where the Spirit of God dwells. Anyone who destroys God's temple will himself be destroyed by God, because the temple of God is holy; and you are that temple."
St. Paul

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and join theirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may also be glorified together.
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. St. Paul

There is nothing wrong with going inside to witness God.

his secret union takes place in the deepest centre of the soul, which must be where God Himself dwells, and I do not think there is any need of a door by which to enter it. I say there is no need of a door because all that has so far been described seems to have come through the medium of the senses and faculties… But what passes in the union of the Spiritual Marriage is very different. The Lord appears in the centre of the soul, not through an imaginary, but through an intellectual vision (although this is a subtler one that that already mentioned), just as He appeared to the Apostles, without entering through the door, when He said to them: "Pax vobis" {cf. John 20:19,21}. This instantaneous communication of God to the soul is so great a secret and so sublime a favour, and such delight is felt by the soul, that I do not know with what to compare it, beyond saying that the Lord is pleased to manifest to the soul at that moment the glory that is in Heaven, in a sublimer manner than is possible through any vision or spiritual consolation. It is impossible to say more than that, as far as one can understand, the soul (I mean the spirit of this soul) is made one with God, Who, being likewise a Spirit, has been pleased to reveal the love that He has for us by showing to certain persons the extent of that love, so that we may praise His greatness. For He has been pleased to unite Himself with His creature in such a way that they have become like two who cannot be separated from one another: even so He will not separate Himself from her. St. Teresa Avila

The spiritual experience is important to most Christian Mystics.

The love of Christ presents man’s spirit with an intuitive understanding that the mysteries of faith can be brought into existence and appreciated. These mysteries are given to us to be mastered, and they seek understanding, not only in reflection, but also in prayer and meditation. God is everything, which we try to represent for the intellect and is infinitely more so we pass from philosophical understanding to faith, and then we pass from faith to spiritual understanding. Spiritual understanding is an intensification of faith transforming it into a vision, an experience and a
mystical union.

don't need all the trappings to find inner path to understanding. Christian faith itself is "mystical" to the serious of heart...and so much "magic" to the unbeliever.

Yet I believe the Christian as distinct from Christendom strives to keep the void open to receive grace.
I would be interested to see who you believe is a Christian, but no part of Christendom.

Thomas

Quahom, that's bang on!

A cardinal who's name escapes me, recently said 'every Catholic is a mystic', which of course is true, as Catholicism is a Mystery Religion.

My point is that these 'Mysticism' sites actually ignore the Mystery utterly, and reduce everything to an intellectual exercise.

Two things:
Take the word 'Christ' out of the site and replace it with another of your own choosing, and with a modicum of tweaking, it still works, because it's about man, nothing else.

Take God out of the thing altogether, and you can still make it work — a humanist would agree to the idea of 'unity' and 'consciousness' without any problems.

Ergo Christ is not the origin nor the end with regard to the site content, but simply an emblem to give it some credence.

Thomas

I would be interested to see who you believe is a Christian, but no part of Christendom.

Thomas

A Christian can be part of Christendom but is just not of it. The Apostles were in the world but not of it.

We wouldn't recognize a Christian so it is better IMO to say that a Christian would be one who follows in the precepts of Christ. A person who wants to but cannot is the Wretched Man and pre-Christian described by Paul. A person with no interest is a non-Christian.

There are very few Christians but many members of various sects that have become part of the World. IMO it is better to recognize and respect the distinction rather than argue who a Christian may be.

Back