Christian Mysticism

See 1 Corinthians 12-13 (which I think should be one chapter, rather than two chapters) regarding Christian "Spiritual gifts" (mystical abilities,) and how they fit into the greater practice of Christianity.

Thanks for these references. Very interesting, it kind of sounds like Zen to me. I`ll look this up, I might have started-off with a different bible, but who is Corinthians because I`ve never heard of him?

FYI, the founder of Aikido (e.g. Stephen Seagal a student) seems to have been an expert in some of the spiritual abilities, in fact that was his goal and he seems to have achieved them. I am yet to confirm of these abilities which partially his living students can do, but supposedly the founder could dodge bullets because the "intent to kill" of his enemies would be projected to him as laser beams before the attack(pulling trigger, machine gun etc..) and he would simply dodge the laser beams and the bullets would follow that beam(he figured this out on the battlefield). He is also noted to teleport, but he only seems to have done it twice publicly as he claimed that it would shorten his life span. Anyways he regularly threw people ten`s of feet, and if he got serious, he`d break bones while he was throwing his students but he hardly ever did that. He seems to have had at least 2 major awakenings that transformed him spiritually even late in his life. At one point after research, I viewed him as the second coming of Christ, but now I think he was a very gifted guy aligned with Christ as well as many others.

Also the Tenri-kyo religion which is respected without fear, which is a modern-Japanese religion, I happen to live with one scholarshipped member and later found out that he was religious. But he told me that anyone could learn how to heal stomache aches in like 30 minutes and they regularly practice that at his religion, which is something again I am yet to confirm.

TK

That is a hard one to fathom, because one may not realize they are doing it...not a conscious effort, so to speak...maybe that is why it is so...mystical?
Compare to the Taoist perspective:

The Taoist sage has no ambitions, therefore he can never fail. He who never fails always succeeds. And he who always succeeds is all- powerful.
{Yeah, I know this is the Christian forum...sorry. :eek:}

Thanks for these references. Very interesting, it kind of sounds like Zen to me. I`ll look this up, I might have started-off with a different bible, but who is Corinthians because I`ve never heard of him?
1 & 2 Corinthians are letters from Paul to the Christian congregation at Corinth in Greece.

Also the Tenri-kyo religion which is respected without fear, which is a modern-Japanese religion, I happen to live with one scholarshipped member and later found out that he was religious. But he told me that anyone could learn how to heal stomache aches in like 30 minutes and they regularly practice that at his religion, which is something again I am yet to confirm.

TK
Interesting. :)

A Christian can be part of Christendom but is just not of it. The Apostles were in the world but not of it.

The great spokesmen of the Perennial Tradition, René Guénon and Frithjof Schuon, regarded as amongst the foremost authorities on the nature of the esoteric, both assert that any esoterism exists within its exoteric complement, and in fact cannot exist apart from it — to fully embrace a given esoterism requires the embrace of its accompanying exotericism.

The argument of Christianity/Christendom is an argument of eso/exotericism. Christianity, however, as both Guenon and Schuon recognised, presents problems in that Christianity is an 'esoterism in plain sight' — it is the esoteric manifest in the exoteric, the ineffible made flesh — and a glance at its doctrine provides sufficient evidence to endorse that claim.

Indeed, the Post-Reformation theologies, determining the possibility of Revelation according to human reason, rejected the notion of Mystery and thus the esoteric dimension. Today the matter is even worse, modern Christian denominations seek to empty Christainity of any objective reality and reduce it to a humanist position.

On the other hand, throughout history various attempts have been made to 'esoterise' orthodox Christianity for the benefit of individuals and elites — the gnostics, the Cathars, the Medieval 'esoteric orders' all claimed a 'secret' source and a hidden doctrine ... until they exhausted themselves in the Romance Movements and the later philosophical relativism of the 20th century. France was a hotbed of competing orders and Guenon earned himself a reputation as the unmasker of false and spurious doctrines.

+++

Orthodox Christian doctrine is unquestionably esoteric in nature, so the idea of 'esoteric Christianity' is a tautology, there are no initiations, no rites and no rituals that equal, let alone supercede, the orthodox Christian Rites.

To seek to separate Christianity from Christendom is akin to making unworldly that which is in the world. There is nothing left but abstractions. The idea of Christianity is not to escape the world but transform it. Artificial esoterisms are anti-traditional and inversions of the Revealed Truth.

As St Paul said:
"Because the creature (Gk: ktsisi implying the physical as well as spiritual) itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation (Gk: ktsisi again) and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body (Gk: soma)."
Romans 8:21-23

The Christian takes the world on, and bears the burden in the eyes of others for so doing ... the 'esoteric Christian' seeks to disassociate himself from the world, and be applauded by his audience (in its every esoteric dimension) for so doing.

One is drawn by love to God, the other drawn by love of self.

Thomas

I like the post where we as Christians become better Christians learning from Buddhist, Muslims ect. It keeps us from loving ourselves as Christians and forgetting about God.

Before this goes under the radar...

There is no New Testament basis for infant baptism, which appear to be the universal practice in the Catholic Church. So?

This is my concern: Grace is initiated by G-d. By baptizing an infant (who has no understanding of the sacrament and derives no immediate benefit from it) the Church has assumed an initiative that belongs to G-d. In my opinion, this is a mockery and a travesty.

Odd that hardly anyone pays attention to these things and sad to see how some will stumble in an effort to give a purely man-made church practice a divine basis it simply does not have. It is also troubling to be dismissed as a heretical dog or a presumptuous, self-righteous crank who presumes to compete with the Word of G-d.

There is no New Testament basis for infant baptism, which appear to be the universal practice in the Catholic Church. So?
"But Jesus said to them: Suffer the little children, and forbid them not to come to me: for the kingdom of heaven is for such."
Matthew 19:14

"Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
John 3:5

If Christ does not forbid 'little children' to 'be born again of water and the Holy Ghost' — on what basis have we the right to deny them the Rite?

This is my concern: Grace is initiated by G-d.
And it is a grace given to the Church to dispense as she sees fit — as Scripture says.

By baptizing an infant (who has no understanding of the sacrament and derives no immediate benefit from it) the Church has assumed an initiative that belongs to G-d.
I disagree. The 'immediate benefit' derives from the Grace conferred by the Sacramental Act — eternal life — and I suggest that we adults understand that no better (and perhaps less perfectly) than a child.

The child does not immediately understand the many acts of love a parent pours out, but comes to know that he or she is loved, and by that knowledge, that love poured out, understands the love.

I believe we err if we try to determine the nature of Grace, which is the Mystery through which all other Mysteries are revealed.

Why should children be barred from the Community of the Holy Spirit?

In my opinion, this is a mockery and a travesty.
In mine, it's an act of love and a celebration of life.

Odd that hardly anyone pays attention to these things and sad to see how some will stumble in an effort to give a purely man-made church practice a divine basis it simply does not have.
Actually, as the Church has the divine basis to act as she sees fit: "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven" (Matthew 16:19).

Thomas

"But Jesus said to them: Suffer the little children, and forbid them not to come to me: for the kingdom of heaven is for such."
Matthew 19:14
This has nothing to do with church ritual, which is what we have been discussing here.

"Jesus answered: Amen, amen I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
John 3:5
Given the Biblical evidence you have presented, there is no basis for the baptism of infants and women.

And it is a grace given to the Church to dispense as she sees fit — as Scripture says.

I disagree. The 'immediate benefit' derives from the Grace conferred by the Sacramental Act — eternal life — and I suggest that we adults understand that no better (and perhaps less perfectly) than a child.
Now I'm confused. :confused: Earlier, in post 11, you wrote:
Three things about Christian Mysticism:
1 — Being a mystic in the experiential sense is not something you do, it's something that happens, it's a grace and a gift of the divine. You can't train for it, you can't induce it, you can't force it, you can't practice it.​
Well, can you induce a grace, or not? :confused:

The great spokesmen of the Perennial Tradition, René Guénon and Frithjof Schuon, regarded as amongst the foremost authorities on the nature of the esoteric, both assert that any esoterism exists within its exoteric complement, and in fact cannot exist apart from it — to fully embrace a given esoterism requires the embrace of its accompanying exotericism.

The argument of Christianity/Christendom is an argument of eso/exotericism. Christianity, however, as both Guenon and Schuon recognised, presents problems in that Christianity is an 'esoterism in plain sight' — it is the esoteric manifest in the exoteric, the ineffible made flesh — and a glance at its doctrine provides sufficient evidence to endorse that claim.

Indeed, the Post-Reformation theologies, determining the possibility of Revelation according to human reason, rejected the notion of Mystery and thus the esoteric dimension. Today the matter is even worse, modern Christian denominations seek to empty Christainity of any objective reality and reduce it to a humanist position.

On the other hand, throughout history various attempts have been made to 'esoterise' orthodox Christianity for the benefit of individuals and elites — the gnostics, the Cathars, the Medieval 'esoteric orders' all claimed a 'secret' source and a hidden doctrine ... until they exhausted themselves in the Romance Movements and the later philosophical relativism of the 20th century. France was a hotbed of competing orders and Guenon earned himself a reputation as the unmasker of false and spurious doctrines.

+++

Orthodox Christian doctrine is unquestionably esoteric in nature, so the idea of 'esoteric Christianity' is a tautology, there are no initiations, no rites and no rituals that equal, let alone supercede, the orthodox Christian Rites.

To seek to separate Christianity from Christendom is akin to making unworldly that which is in the world. There is nothing left but abstractions. The idea of Christianity is not to escape the world but transform it. Artificial esoterisms are anti-traditional and inversions of the Revealed Truth.

As St Paul said:
"Because the creature (Gk: ktsisi implying the physical as well as spiritual) itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation (Gk: ktsisi again) and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body (Gk: soma)."
Romans 8:21-23

The Christian takes the world on, and bears the burden in the eyes of others for so doing ... the 'esoteric Christian' seeks to disassociate himself from the world, and be applauded by his audience (in its every esoteric dimension) for so doing.

Thomas

Hi Thomas

both assert that any esoterism exists within its exoteric complement, and in fact cannot exist apart from it — to fully embrace a given esoterism requires the embrace of its accompanying exotericism.

Quite true. Once one is able to come out of the cave by establishing the connection between heaven and earth in their own being, they are compelled to go back in to help in establishing the connection between the higher and lower as described in the lord's Prayer: "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."

it is the esoteric manifest in the exoteric, the ineffable made flesh — and a glance at its doctrine provides sufficient evidence to endorse that claim.
A Christian emenates a light and a quality of energy not of the earth. a pre-Christian speaks of its value. There are only a few Christians in the world and a great many pre-Christians and non-Christians. Doctrine is one thing and actualizing doctrine is another.

Indeed, the Post-Reformation theologies, determining the possibility of Revelation according to human reason, rejected the notion of Mystery and thus the esoteric dimension. Today the matter is even worse, modern Christian denominations seek to empty Christianity of any objective reality and reduce it to a humanist position.

This is normal for the infestation of "experts." I just feel sorry for the young that feel the truth of Christianity but are denied it by these "experts."

Attempts are made to sell all sorts of things. That's show biz. Esoteric Christianity is a Perennial religion. One cannot esotericise Orthodox Christianity. All one can do is rediscover it which few have the humility to do.

Yes, most of these rites came from ancient Egypt. The trouble is that exoteric forms of rituals exist but without the inner understanding to experience their esoteric benefit.

No, it is the world that is an abstraction; an obvious contradiction that we must reconcile through our imagination to make it bearable. Yet Christianity offers the opportunity to experience this absurdity by consciously carrying our cross to acquire a conscious perspective: fragmentation within "wholeness." Is it really surprising why something "holy" is associated with leading to wholeness? is not an abstraction but fragmentation is

A person can only become a Christian; that is follow in the precepts of Christ, by becoming able to do so which requires inner work on ones own being beginning with the efforts to "know thyself" Otherwise we turn in circles normal for being in oppositition to ourselves. This is an insulting psychological reality but non-the-less something a person must come to recognize if they have a calling from Christianity.

To disassociate oneself from the world means to experience it without our normal cave perspective. To carry ones cross is to open ones eyes:

"There is no detachment where there is no pain. And there is no pain endured without hatred or lying unless detachment is present too." Simone Weil

To consciously carry ones cross allows one to experience the world without the rose colored glasses of our emotional reactions and their associated hatred and lying and whatever other ingenious forms of self justification we can invent. This is a learning experience and what it means to live without psychological slavery. The world doesn't applaud this. To the contrary it hates it since it reveals it for what it is.

The Christian is drawn by love of God. Yet how many for some reason claiming to be Christian are capable of the following?

Love of God is pure when joy and suffering inspire an equal degree of gratitude. –Simone Weil (Gravity and Grace, p.55)

Perhaps love of God is expressed when we believe he is on our side. This assumes of course that we even know what it means to love God.

Love and Knowledge: Two Paths to the One
Love's like a black lion, famished and ferocious, who only drinks the blood of the hearts of lovers. Love seizes you tenderly and drags you towards the trap. ...No one can escape his chains by trickery or madness; no sage can wriggle out of his nets by wisdom. –Rumi (Teachings of Rumi, p. 81)
This is no path for the faint of heart. If we imagine that the path of love is an easy one, constantly filled with heavenly perfumes and sublime ecstasies, we will be very shocked the first time we are badly burned by love's fire, and we will not go very far along the path unless we willingly dive back into that fire, and embrace the purifying passion of eternity. We must be willing to love, even through the most extreme pain, suffering, and affliction. Even when it seems impossible for us to endure, even when it is impossible. Like Christ, we must be willing to literally die for the love of God, we must cling to supernatural love above all else, and trust God's love completely and unconditionally with all our heart, mind, and soul. What is the secret to this capacity for such profound love? It seems that in order to love so deeply and completely, in order to endure this radical purification of the heart, we must already have a saintly capacity for loving God. The wonderful truth is that we do—there is in everyone a seed of sanctity in the depths of the heart, and we need only take refuge in it, and have faith in its power. If we do not, we will falsely imagine that we are powerless in the face of affliction, and allow it to overrun our soul. We will be like a man who has forgotten that he is actually the king, and stands by watching as injustice and suffering spread throughout the kingdom. In other words, the key that unlocks the door to the depths of love is the realization or faith that the capacity for divine love is already in us. Simone Weil, a modern mystic, explains it this way:
There is a big difference between self love and love of self. Self love is egotism while love of self is the natural urge to become oneself: "to be." It is becoming able to be that can lead to love of God beyond New Age fantasy and expressions of Christendom.

There is nothing wrong with being a sincere pre-Christian. they can do a lot of good. But being a Christian requires becoming oneself: "to be" and it is very rare since the world is against it.

This is my concern: Grace is initiated by G-d. By baptizing an infant (who has no understanding of the sacrament and derives no immediate benefit from it) the Church has assumed an initiative that belongs to G-d. In my opinion, this is a mockery and a travesty.

Odd that hardly anyone pays attention to these things and sad to see how some will stumble in an effort to give a purely man-made church practice a divine basis it simply does not have. It is also troubling to be dismissed as a heretical dog or a presumptuous, self-righteous crank who presumes to compete with the Word of G-d.

I quoted a bunch of posts from this thread regarding this to the Baptism thread for a closer look, to avoid derailing this thread. :)

Hi Seattlegal —
Now I'm confused. :confused:
... Well, can you induce a grace, or not? :confused:
Good question!

The answer lies in understanding the Sacraments: they are not 'inductions' of the Divine, they are 'spirations' — it is not we who induce God by the Rite, it is God who gives Himself to us through the Rite.

The Rite is His gift, not our technology.

It is fundamental to Catholic doctrine (and Orthodox) that the Holy Spirit 'works' the Sacrament, not the priest — there are very carefully worded explanations of this, that probably go into too much detail to bother discussing here.

Thomas

Hi Seattlegal —

Good question!

The answer lies in understanding the Sacraments: they are not 'inductions' of the Divine, they are 'spirations' — it is not we who induce God by the Rite, it is God who gives Himself to us through the Rite.

The Rite is His gift, not our technology.

It is fundamental to Catholic doctrine (and Orthodox) that the Holy Spirit 'works' the Sacrament, not the priest — there are very carefully worded explanations of this, that probably go into too much detail to bother discussing here.

Thomas
Hebrews 11-12 would explain it.

I suppose one could view infant baptism as a blessing/birthright, and not an opportunity for repentance. In this case, it might be helpful to remind children who were baptized as infants about what happened to Esau, as conveyed at Hebrews 12:14-17
14 Pursue peace with everyone, and holiness —without it no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no root of bitterness springs up, causing trouble and by it, defiling many. 16 And see that there isn't any immoral or irreverent person like Esau, who sold his birthright in exchange for one meal. 17 For you know that later, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected because he didn't find any opportunity for repentance, though he sought it with tears.
This parallels my feelings towards infant baptism vs believer's baptism quite well. Are there any sacraments/opportunities for those baptized as infants to consciously repent sins and to petition God for a clean conscience once they become aware? Is there an opportunity open for "rebaptism/rebirth" in such a case?

Hi Nick —

Once one is able to come out of the cave by establishing the connection between heaven and earth in their own being...
If one sees Christianity was of a purely cosmological order, then I would agree. Such being the case, following Plato's teaching, one would be capable of uniting heaven and earth through the operation of the reasoning faculty, but as Christianity comprises Divine Revelation, the knowledge contained therein transcends the cosmological order and therefore the capacity of the human intellect. What it reveals is beyond man's ken and, therefore, beyond his reach, so one is able to do nothing other than approach the Mystery in faith in accordance with the means and the methods made available to him.

Even a cosmological approach requires a supreme act of intellectual asceticism, a Pelagian act of will, which, by all the evidence we have, only a very few are capable of. This limits the idea of salvation to a handful of humanity, whereas those who are 'justified' according to Scripture — the widow, the publican, the robber — display none of these qualities. In fact the one person who does display them, the 'rich young man', cannot bring himself to embrace the gift offered to him.

+++

A Christian emenates a light and a quality of energy not of the earth.
Again, that seems to me a cosmological determination, one in which the life of the Spirit is sought to be measured and quantified. A Christian emanates love. How that love is perceived is dependent upon the viewer. Many Christians are not 'seen' at all — it does rather suppose that we assume the capacity to see it in all its mysteriousness in the first place, a rather presumptive statement, I would have thought.

I suggest a hermeneutic key to the esteric dimension of this is in Romans 6:3-4:
"Know you not that all we, who are baptized in Christ Jesus, are baptized in his death?
For we are buried together with him by baptism into death"

There are only a few Christians in the world and a great many pre-Christians and non-Christians.
Again, I am not in a position to sit in judgement upon souls, so I am inclined to dismiss such statements as something of an assumption — I am not the mean by which a life is measured. I prefer the idea of 'practising Christians' — hopefully some are good, no doubt some are bad, but none are perfect.

Doctrine is one thing and actualising doctrine is another.
A self-evident truism.

This is normal for the infestation of "experts." I just feel sorry for the young that feel the truth of Christianity but are denied it by these "experts."
The trouble being that one's presuppositions determine who one considers to be an 'expert'. Is not Weil one of your 'experts'? It seems to me she has a lot to say about something she never fully embraced nor understood. It seems to me all you allow in Christianity is psychology. If such is the case, it's understandable that you decry the work of the Spirit, or those who speak on its behalf.

Yes, most of these rites came from ancient Egypt. The trouble is that exoteric forms of rituals exist but without the inner understanding to experience their esoteric benefit.
Actually that's not the case. We accept that their interior workings are in fact 'mysterious' precisely because they transcend the human capacity to understand. Again, it depends whether you limit Christian doctrine to a cosmology or not. There is plenty of evidence in the saints and mystics to plumb then depths of the mysteries and illuminate the furthrest reaches of the intellect, but even then, every authority states that there is more than pure mind can comprehend.

It seems to me that whilst my 'experts' insist the mystery transcends all limitation, your 'experts' insist the mystery is contained entirely within comprehensible boundaries. So one opens the possibility of more, and the other shuts it down.

With regard to rites themselves, I suggest you look further. Then you need to look closer at rites and the doctrinal statements. These rites — the sharing of food, the offer of hospitality, the welcome of the stranger — come from man's heritage as man, much older and more universal than Egypt. But none reach so far in their understanding and doctrine as do the Sacraments, that is an acknowledged and inarguable fact. Every culture has its rite of a shared meal, a ritual of washing, rites of passage ... but taking the meal as one example, none has the equivalent of the Eucharist as it is understood.

No, it is the world that is an abstraction...
I disagree. I think that's a view of a psychologism, an mode of existentialism. To me the world is what it is, it is man who reduces it to abstractions. If the world is not 'real', then nothing is.

A person can only become a Christian; that is follow in the precepts of Christ, by becoming able to do so which requires inner work on ones own being beginning with the efforts to "know thyself"
Again you reduce it to psychology. I do not.

What makes me wonder is, even within your limitations, you should choose to hold such a pessimistic view according to the puny efforts of your intellectual inferiors. Why not exercise optimism and look to those who lead the way ... or is Weil the total summation of human possibility?

Not for me. Whilst I fully accept that "without me, you can do nothing" (John 15:5), I delight in the fact that I am called to co-operate in the operation and indeed the mission of the Holy Spirit. You reduce Christianity to a psychological praxis. I see it as a gift, albeit a challenging one.

Otherwise we turn in circles normal for being in opposition to ourselves. This is an insulting psychological reality but non-the-less something a person must come to recognize if they have a calling from Christianity.
What is absent, and therefore I assume unrecognised, in your view is the Presence of God.

To disassociate oneself from the world means to experience it without our normal cave perspective. To carry ones cross is to open ones eyes:
Quote:
"There is no detachment where there is no pain. And there is no pain endured without hatred or lying unless detachment is present too." Simone Weil
It's a shame she never experienced love, for she might have seen things differently.

For the Christian, detachment is the prince of virtues (according to Eckhart), but there is no talk of pain, only love, and the joy of God. No pain ... no hate ... no lies ... why does she introduce these into the contemplation of Christian things? Why express it in negative terms? Except that she can find none positive? I wonder does she understand Christianity at all.

To consciously carry ones cross allows one to experience the world without the rose colored glasses of our emotional reactions and their associated hatred and lying and whatever other ingenious forms of self justification we can invent. This is a learning experience and what it means to live without psychological slavery. The world doesn't applaud this. To the contrary it hates it since it reveals it for what it is.
"Love of God is pure when joy and suffering inspire an equal degree of gratitude. –Simone Weil (Gravity and Grace, p.55)
Sounds like guilt to me. She seems to insist you have to feel bad about feeling good. I think Weil sums up the existential angst of the modern era.

If we imagine that the path of love is an easy one, constantly filled with heavenly perfumes and sublime ecstasies...
But who does? This is all your angst, Nick, not mine, nor anyone else's. Stop projecting your own feelings and emotions onto others.

+++

Without God, I can understand why you have such a negative view, but without God, what is the point of calling oneself a Christian?

Thomas

Are there any sacraments/opportunities for those baptized as infants to consciously repent sins and to petition God for a clean conscience once they become aware? Is there an opportunity open for "rebaptism/rebirth" in such a case?
That's what the Sacrament of Confession is, or 'reconcilliation', as we call it these days.

Thomas

It seems esoterism can exist apart from traditional institutional religions, however. Indeed, Great Britain has been enjoying a marked increase in the rate at which people are reporting religious/spiritual experiences. Interestingly, a substantial increase occurred between 1987 and 2000. This time frame corresponds roughly to a period of rapid decline in institutional religion. I suspect it could have something to do with the proliferation of spiritual ideas in popular culture.

At any rate, the dual trends - increased spirituality and dwindling interest in the old religions organizations - would seem to suggest that esoterism is not dependent on traditional exoteric institutional religion. These trends also cast doubt on the old view that religious expressions occur in a social context. Even though I think religious ideas have been popularized in contemporary culture, I think religious practice has become rather privatized (not likely to involve going to church).

The survey research findings regarding nonchurchgoing people having religious experiences were reported by Kate Hunt and David Hay, with the department of religious studies at the The University of Aberdeen, who also wrote a short book entitled "Why Spirituality is Difficult for Westerners." Catchy title.

That's what the Sacrament of Confession is, or 'reconcilliation', as we call it these days.
How do infants ask for forgiveness?

See you later in the Baptism thread, Thomas. :)

"To seek God by rituals is to get the ritual and lose God in the process, for he hides behind it." Meister Eckhart

Hi Thomas

The reasoning function in man differs in quality from the purely associative thought, which is most common for us, to conscious affirmation which is our potential. Associative thought can lead us so far but at some point must surrender to conscious pondering.

"The role of the intelligence - that part of us which affirms and denies and formulates opinions is merely to submit." Simone Weil

This is why Socrates was considered wise. He came to the end of the value of associative thought and admitted he knew nothing. I've discovered that only a few know what this means. It took me years to find people that knew what it means. This is not denial of anything but the normal connection between qualitative intellectual functions.

Christianity doesn't transcend cosmological order but instead reveals it internally. That is why it is the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Cosmological order is objective order that is revealed first in the feelings where a person becomes aware of the greater good not within society but at a level above it and our nothingness in relation to it. It reveals the direction to the source of man's meaning and purpose. We are so caught up with our conceptions of subjective good and evil that many never experience this vertical psychological direction in relation to it.

We cannot come to it through associative thought but we can invite grace by needing it.

Again, I am not in a position to sit in judgement upon souls, so I am inclined to dismiss such statements as something of an assumption — I am not the mean by which a life is measured. I prefer the idea of 'practising Christians' — hopefully some are good, no doubt some are bad, but none are perfect

Jesus could see me internally but I could not see Jesus. I agree that we cannot judge since we equally suffer from hypocrisy. However, if there were more evolved people in the world, would we have the cyclical madness of war? Obviously not. It is obvious then that there are very few Christians but a lot of expressions of facets of Christendom.

Yes this is a problem. when Socrates was searching for those that understood something, he found a bunch of BS artists so concluded that his advantage was in recognizing that though he knew nothing, the others imagined themselves as "experts."

How to distinguish the false prophets. Even Jesus admitted they would be rather good at fooling people.

John suggests to test the spirits but again who knows what this means. Does one say "Good morning spirit, do you believe in Jesus?" I suggest it means to become consciously present and since a lie cannot dominate in a state of conscious presence, the lie will fade away until we again lose presence.

It seems to me that whilst my 'experts' insist the mystery transcends all limitation, your 'experts' insist the mystery is contained entirely within comprehensible boundaries. So one opens the possibility of more, and the other shuts it down.

Of course. Jesus said that it would be possible to do greater works than him. How could this be possible unless Man had the potential to understand what he is incapable of as fallen man.

What does it mean to you to renew the mind?

Romans 12

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Is Paul referring to more associative thought or something much more profound that leads to re-birth? To be transformed is for man to experience what the caterpillar does but on a higher scale. It is the transformation of his being just as the caterpillar changes in its being to become a butterfly. What Man analogous to a butterfly understands is incomprehensible for man as a caterpillar. The mind has to be renewed so as to avoid being swept up once again in the collective life of caterpillars or life in Plato's cave.

I disagree. I think that's a view of a psychologism, an mode of existentialism. To me the world is what it is, it is man who reduces it to abstractions. If the world is not 'real', then nothing is.
The world is real but the question becomes how to receive its reality? We do so now in imagination. A person has to really consider if he wants to abandon the pleasantries of imagination for the eventual benefits of reality. It isn't easy to do but it is our opportunity to consciously carry our cross so as to "know thyself."

What is absent, and therefore I assume unrecognised, in your view is the Presence of God.

Yes God is absent from the world. People blame God for misfortune in the world asking why God could let it happen. But God is not in the world. Beauty allows us to experience the reality of God's will manifested by universal laws indicating that the source is behind beauty and not of the world.

Luke 13:

1Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

They didn't want to hear it then nor do people want to hear it now. Accidents happen having nothing to do with God. Thinking that one hand washes the other and if I say good things about God, he'll throw me a bone is misunderstanding the human condition. To experience the God/Man relationship requires the change of our being. This is why we need the Son.

It's a shame she never experienced love, for she might have seen things differently.

To the contrary, Simone Weil received a quality of love few ever will:

There was a young English Catholic there from whom I gained my first idea of the supernatural power of the sacraments because of the truly angelic radiance with which he seemed to be clothed after going to communion. Chance -- for I always prefer saying chance rather than Providence -- made of him a messenger to me. For he told me of the existence of those English poets of the seventeenth century who are named metaphysical. In reading them later on, I discovered the poem of which I read you what is unfortunately a very inadequate translation. It is called "Love". I learned it by heart. Often, at the culminating point of a violent headache, I make myself say it over, concentrating all my attention upon it and clinging with all my soul to the tenderness it enshrines. I used to think I was merely reciting it as a beautiful poem, but without my knowing it the recitation had the virtue of a prayer. It was during one of these recitations that, as I told you, Christ himself came down and took possession of me.

In my arguments about the insolubility of the problem of God I had never foreseen the possibility of that, of a real contact, person to person, here below, between a human being and God I had vaguely heard tell of things of this kind, but I had never believed in them. In the Fioretti the accounts of apparitions rather put me off if anything, like the miracles in the Gospel. Moreover, in this sudden possession of me by Christ, neither my senses nor my imagination had any part; I only felt in the midst of my suffering the presence of a love, like that which one can read in the smile on a beloved face.

I had never read any mystical works because I had never felt any call to read them. In reading as in other things I have always striven to practice obedience. There is nothing more favorable to intellectual progress, for as far as possible I only read what I am hungry for at the moment when I have an appetite for it, and then I do not read, I eat. God in his mercy had prevented me from reading the mystics, so that it should be evident to me that I had not invented this absolutely unexpected contact.

Here is the poem she refers to:

Love

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back, Guilty of dust and sin. But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack From my first entrance in, Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning, If I lack'd anything. A guest, I answer'd, worthy to be here: Love said, You shall be he. I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear, I cannot look on thee. Love took my hand, and smiling did reply, Who made the eyes but I? Truth Lord, but I have marr'd them: let my shame Go where it doth deserve. And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame? My dear, then I will serve. You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat: So I did sit and eat.
- George Herbert, 1593-1633
You say she never experienced love and I suggest few of us ever experience the quality of love she did.

For the Christian, detachment is the prince of virtues (according to Eckhart), but there is no talk of pain, only love, and the joy of God. No pain ... no hate ... no lies ... why does she introduce these into the contemplation of Christian things? Why express it in negative terms? Except that she can find none positive? I wonder does she understand Christianity at all.
Part of understanding Christianity is to understand through self knowledge how and why it devolves. If you understand what she means it is obvious how and why Christianity can devolve into the Spanish Inquisition. Meister Eckhart is describing a Christian. Simone Weil is describing how Christianity devolves into expressions of self justification normal for secularism.

Sounds like guilt to me. She seems to insist you have to feel bad about feeling good. I think Weil sums up the existential angst of the modern era.

Guilt is a conditioned expression of our personality while remorse is an expression of our essence. If a person is truly attracted to the experience of the higher good, it requires sacrificing what is pleasant for the experience of joy. Most are conditioned never to do it.

"A test of what is real is that it is hard and rough. Joys are found in it, not pleasure. What is pleasant belongs to dreams." Simone Weil -- Gravity and Grace
The conscious experience of the human condition both in ourselves and in the world must lead to remorse. The joy in it comes through the way out and in "going home."

Without God, I can understand why you have such a negative view, but without God, what is the point of calling oneself a Christian?
Once a person becomes evolved as through Christianity so that they have a soul, they know God. As we are, we are a reactive creature which is continually being called to awaken and become oneself. Most deny it or devolve it into imagination. Yet there must always be a minority of conscious humanity providing a conscious influence with the need and courage regardless of the world's hatred towards it, to strive to become oneself. Without it, IMO our survival is doubtful.

Really?? ...

I believe so but it is not the most popular idea and insults many so often is best avoided. Basically this idea is the root of Panentheism.

Panentheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though God's will manifesting through universal laws along with divine love permeate the universe, the source or what we call the "Absolute" is beyond time and space.

We live in a conscious universe so higher cosmological levels of consciousness within the universe always strive to help lower levels of consciousness which in turn help lower ones. Since we are a microcosm, the same structure exists within us but instead of the higher being dominant over the lower and guiding it in evolution, the lower has come to deny the higher within our being keeping man a slave to the earth. Conscious influences try to help us awaken to reality but we are stubborn and have our pride. Consciousness non-the-less exists as a progression and interacts with universal mechanics to keep this grand creation running regardless of at what level we participate in it.

As usual Simone puts it in her unique, profound and sublime manner:

"God could only create by hiding himself. Otherwise there would be nothing but himself."

This means as explained in this Wiki section on absence:

Simone Weil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically this idea is the root of Panentheism.
Then it's not a Christian idea, but rather an error when Christianity is determined either as pantheism, or panentheism, as both are excluded if one accepts the Christian idea of God.

... what we call the "Absolute" is beyond time and space.
Agreed, that has always been the case in Christian doctrine. That's why God is neither pentheist nor panentheist, both of which render God relative, and subject to temperospatial determination.

+++

We live in a conscious universe so higher cosmological levels of consciousness within the universe always strive to help lower levels of consciousness which in turn help lower ones.
OK. But this is cosmology; it's psychology, not theology.

Since we are a microcosm, the same structure exists within us but instead of the higher being dominant over the lower and guiding it in evolution, the lower has come to deny the higher within our being keeping man a slave to the earth.
Ditto. The theology explains how and why that situation came about: In theological terms, the will has become subject to the apertites/passions of the sensible faculty (the flesh).

Conscious influences try to help us awaken to reality but we are stubborn and have our pride. Consciousness none-the-less exists as a progression and interacts with universal mechanics to keep this grand creation running regardless of at what level we participate in it.
OK, but still psychology, not mysticism. An athiest would have no problem agreeing with all of this.

As usual Simone puts it in her unique, profound and sublime manner:
"God could only create by hiding himself. Otherwise there would be nothing but himself."
I would argue that creation is of a different order of being than the creator, therefore the idea of 'hiding' is a subjective and sentimental interpretation, rather than a metaphysical determination.

It's hardly original — Scripture speaks of veils, St Paul especially, and the Fathers used the device widely.

Islam says "I was a secret treasure, and wanted to be known" alongside "God is closer to you than your jugular vein".

So I would suggest, and I do believe I can argue, that in this instance Weil's idea of 'absence' is a confusion of subjective and objective determination, or a case of sentimental objectivity.

In the wiki highlighted it states:
no creature could exist except where God was not
This is non-Christian, and a fundamental misreading of Christian metaphysics. Rather, we believe in God as the Logos of all created logoi, the 'ground of our Being' as Eckhart would say.

"In Him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28, quoting the Cretan poet Epiphemides)

and moreover, Colossians 1:15-17
"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For in him were all things created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him and in him. And he is before all, and by him all things consist."

Thus God is not absent, but intimately present, to all and in all, as the ontological cause of all.

It is we who have absented ourselves from Him.

Thomas

Back