Religion and Bigotry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
What is the link between religion and bigotry ?

I ask because many highly religious people such as fundamentalist Christians and all Muslims can tend to be extremely bigoted and intolerant.

So do you think that there is a relationship between the religion and bigotry? or faith and bigotry ?

and just to add, that I don't suffer from this problem at all :rolleyes: and hopefully I am not religious in any way :D

What is the link between religion and bigotry ?

I ask because many highly religious people such as fundamentalist Christians and all Muslims can tend to be extremely bigoted and intolerant.

So do you think that there is a relationship between the religion and bigotry? or faith and bigotry ?

and just to add, that I don't suffer from this problem at all :rolleyes: and hopefully I am not religious in any way :D

I disagree, this "site" has actually proven that there are plenty of people of ALL religious denominations esp christians and muslim who are NOT "extremely bigoted and intolerant".
You cant say ALL, that is a generalization, and you are tarring people with the same brush...

I disagree, this "site" has actually proven that there are plenty of people of ALL religious denominations esp christians and muslim who are NOT "extremely bigoted and intolerant".
You cant say ALL, that is a generalization, and you are tarring people with the same brush...

this site is for an interfaith dialogue so by definition most of us here are already a bit more open minded than say those on single faith forum.

Congratulations Glory, you qualify!

As to your question, I see no causal connection. While Religion provides an excellent means for these felling to flourish, if religion were to disappear, bigotry and intolerance would continue to exist.

For example.

It was narrated that Ibn Abbaas said: "The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: 'Whoever you find doing the deed of the people of Loot, kill the one who does it and the one to whom it is done.'"[10]
Homosexuality and Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and

AMERICA IS A NATION THAT “TEACHES FOR DOCTRINES THE
COMMANDMENTS OF MEN” INCLUDING WHOREMONGERY, ADULTERY,
FORNICATION, SODOMY, IDOLATRY, MURDER AND OTHERS, ALL CONTRARY
TO THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD;
AND GOD WILL PUNISH AMERICA FOR THESE MIGHTY SINS.
http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/letters/20060704_letter-to-earthdwellers.pdf

aarrgghhh, pulling out her hair.......... GTG you have thoroughly confused and bewildered this old girl.

Sorry grey, I am just trying to draw a link between faith and bigotry, the line between them seems to be very narrow sometimes :eek:

Glory,

You had a chance there to apologize for your initial assertion that "all Muslims" are intolerant. You could have explained it away as a slip of the keyboard, temporary insanity, or merely a brain fart.

Instead you try to justify it.

Amazing.

It is clear who is intolerant here.

Does that not make you think a little?

GtG I think you should retract that statement about Muslims, and really the whole topic is highly dubious and looks more like trolling than honest discussion.

and really the whole topic is highly dubious and looks more like trolling than honest discussion.

really ?

am I the only one who can see a close connection between religion and bigotry ?

if I am then this thread will die :(

really? am I the only one who can see a close connection between religion and bigotry?
You're the only one who can't see that you just called between 700 million – 1.2 billion people "intolerant".

You are the only one here who doesn't see that when it comes to bigotry and intolerance that you are embodiment of those terms.

Of course religion plays a part in bigotry and intolerance, but it isn't the only cause. If religion were to vanish from the Earth, there'd still be no end to bigotry and intolerance due to economic and social status, race, and other conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back