Ibn Arabi

dauer

Reaction score
Hello.

Do any of you know of any decent English-language sources that deal thoroughly with Ibn Arabi's epistemology? I'm currently planning on looking at Chittick's ibn Arabi: Heir to the Prophets and a translation by al-Jerrahi al-Halveti entitled  Divine Governance of the Human Kingdom: Including What the Seeker Needs and The One Alone.

Hi Dauer —

The Perennialists are big on Ibn Arabi ... I've got almost the complete Schuon corpus, and the Guenon, I'll have a look through. They're useful general commentaries, rather than detailed analyses, they won't be thorough enough.

Earl's a fan too, so he might be along shortly.

Chittick is good, from what I hear. Check out Reza Shah-Kazemi, too. And the Ibn Arabi society

I've got an essay by Shah-Kazemi on Shankara, Ibn-Arabi and Eckhart, I'll dig it out to see if it's online ... I can try and get it to you if it might be of interest? (I can scan and pdf, or whatever...)

Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I would be interested. I'll check out the other two references you mentioned as well.

If the essay you're thinking of is what I just came across, it's a 288 page book.

Peace Dauer :),

Sorry Dauer but I do not know of any reliable interpretations of Ibn Arabi's works [however I'll post up a link with some reliable interpretations of soem excerpts of his works, below], will let you know if I find any...

And in the meantime here's a quick bit of advice on orientalists interpretation of classical Islamic litterature and sources:

Islamic works can be verry subtle at times and the Quran and Sunnah can be misleading to those not intimately aquainted with it's sciences, thus orientalists have been known to misinterpret many Quranic verses, hadiths, and works of traditional Islamic Scholars; here is the observation of one Scholar of his scrutiny of orientalists interpretations and translations:

Apart form the original text of the Tahawiyya and Fiqh al-Akbar have any others been translated into English?

Wa alaikum salam,

Yes some have. Unfortunately done by orientalsits! I have the translation of the Wasiyya attributed to Imam al A'zam - but it is a poor translation done by an orientalist known as: A J Wensinck, 1st published in 1932 under the title: "Muslim Creed"

I also have Imam al-Taftazani's Sharh on Imam al-Nasafi's Aqeeda. This one is better and I haven't found many errors in it. It was done by: EE Elder, titled: "A Commentary on the Creed of Islam" in 170 pages.

Aqeeda Nasafi is available by another orientalist known as DB Macdonald in his: "Development of Muslim Theology"

If you know how engrossed these orientalists have been with Muslim Dogma, you will also know that they have translated the tampered al-Ibana of Imam al-Ash'ari, his Maqalat al-Islamiyyin (summary i think) and his Istihsan. They have also touched on works by Imam al-Ghazzali, Imam Abdal Qahir al-Baghdadi's Al-Farq bayn al-Firaq, Ibn Qutayba's Ta'wil Mukhtalif al Hadith (in French), Imam al-Tabari's aqeeda (in French) and an abridged version of al-Hafiz ibn Asakir's Tabyin Kadhib al-Muftari (in defence of Imam al-Ash'ari by means of a posthumous refutation of Abu Ali al-Ahwazi - who was accused of lying), Imam al-Shahrastani's work on the 73 sects (al-Milal wal Nihal) has also been partially translated, etc etc.

There are also some orientalists who consider themselves as experts on the life and works of certain Imams. RM Frank has written a lot of articles on Imam al-Ash'ari and his school, G Makdisi thinks he is an expert on the Hanabila, specifically: Ibn Aqil, and Maqdisi's student: Merlin Swartz thinks he is an expert on the Hanbali: Ibn al Jawzi! An orientalist by the name of Wilfred Madelung also translated a portion from Tafsir al-Tabari (only 1 volume was published and it didn't even complete Sura al-Baqara)

What i have seen with a lot of these orientalist creatures is their lack of using correct words in translating certain words. Often they are too literal and because they lack true knowledge of Islamic terminology dependent on the field they have worked on, they give poor translations in certain passages. Reader beware when touching orientalist efforts!

Wassalam

Abul Hasan

[Scholar from a Sunni-site]

And regarding Chittiks, and other perrenialists claim that Ibn Arabi was a perrenialist himself; Chittick misinterpreted the original Ibn Arabi's works which clairified his view on it; [Charles le Gai Eaton] mistinterpreted Abdul Qadir AlJazahiri's works too and ommited some essential parts of it, which he based his supposed 'Islamic basis' for the universal validity of religions.

Here is a site that exposes the misinterpretations by Chitticks, and together with the original texts and interpretations, shows that Ibn-Arabi or Abdul Qadir AlJazahiri, far from being perrenialists, were strictly exclucivists like the rest of the traditional Scholars:

Universal Validity of Religions

There may be numerous statements of Ibn Arabi whcih perrenialists interpret in a perrenialistic/idolatrous [where anything that you worship [like any part of the creation] is essentially worshipping God too] way, but the above site exposes how such statements from great Sufi's like Arabi is iether misinterpreted/mistranslated or misunderstood as one is not aquainted with the proper sufi esoteric phrases, which really fits into the exoteric interpretations of the Quran and Sunnah.

The scholars of Sacred Law are unanimous about the abrogation of all other religions by Islam because it is the position of Islam itself. It only remains for the sincere Muslim to submit to, in which connection Ibn al-`Arabi has said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Beware lest you ever say anything that does not conform to the pure Sacred Law. Know that the highest stage of the perfected ones (rijal) is the Sacred Law of Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace). And know that the esoteric that contravenes the exoteric is a fraud" (al-Burhani: al-Hall al-sadid, 32). [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In fact, one looks in vain in the works of Ibn al-`Arabi for the belief of the validity of currently existing non-Islamic religions, for this is kufr, as Imam Nawawi and the other Imams mentioned above unanimously concur. Traditional Islam certainly does not accept the suggestion that [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"it is true that many Muslims believe that the universality of guidance pertains only to pre-Qur'anic times, but others disagree; there is no 'orthodox' interpretation here that Muslims must accept" (Religious Diversity, 124). [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Orthodoxy exists, it is unanimously agreed upon by the scholars of Muslims, and we have conveyed in Nawawi's words above that to believe anything else is unbelief. As for "others disagree," it is true, but is something that has waited for fourteen centuries of Islamic scholarship down to the present century to be first promulgated in Cairo in the 1930s by the French convert to Islam Rene Gunon, and later by his student Frithjof Schuon and writers under him. Who else said it before? And if no one did, and everyone else considers it kufr, on what basis should it be accepted?[/FONT]

Universal Validity of Religions

hope that helps

Peace :)

Thanks Abdullah.

I'm in a student-centered BA program and am spending my first semester on epistemology. The way it's designed, I produce my own syllabus for the semester. I realized a few days ago that I've probably taken on too much work and the section in which I would have covered Ibn Arabi will probably have to be scrapped or postponed. I have some time to figure out if it's feasible at all. As I initially designed it, I had set aside 3 weeks to get a general overview of Western epistemology, 3 weeks for the epistemologies of India's philosophical schools and so on. While I may very well devote 40 hours a week to my studies that still doesn't seem realistic. Since I'm stretching it out, the section in which I was going to cover Abraham Abulafia, Ibn Arabi and Rinzai Zen (learning about three different mystics/mystical traditions as counter-approaches to traditional philosophical epistemologies), each in 1 week, will have to be cut out. I may try to study some of that material in another semester but will look closely at what sources are available before I do so.

-- Dauer

Good luck with your studies Dauer, your far more intelligent then me that is clear :)

Regarding works of Ibn Arabi's translations, I think from the orientalists works you can get a basic understanding of what he was about and his sufi-istic view of religion, but the parts where any perrenialism or idolatry [where it is deemed that worshipping any part of the creation is worshipping 'God' as God inheres in these created objects] is associated with him, they have been debunked by original Islamic Scholars as to be misinterpretations so maybe you can point that out to in your essays if you do cover it in the future :)

Good luck

Peace.

Might I just put in here that I totally concur with Abdullah's critique of the Perennialist interpretation of Ibn Arabi, not that I can offer any comment on the orthodoxy of Ibn Arabi himself, but as a Catholic I am aware of the same heterodox tendency in interpreting Christian Scripture and Tradition as pointing towards their own innovations, of the Transcendent Unity of Religions, which is entirely of their own manufacture, and which has no actual basis in any revealed tradition they claim to uphold (nor indeed, it could be argued, in philosophy).

Thomas

as a Catholic I am aware of the same heterodox tendency in interpreting Christian Scripture and Tradition as pointing towards their own innovations, of the Transcendent Unity of Religions, which is entirely of their own manufacture, and which has no actual basis in any revealed tradition they claim to uphold (nor indeed, it could be argued, in philosophy).
Hah, the irony! If you want me to respond to this kind of silliness, I'll take the bait. Here you go, Thomas:

By the Catholic church's own admission, from the Biblical times of Diotrephes "there have been "continual schisms." I think there's a reason why Catholic historians want to pretend that these conflicts didn't involve dissensions on ideological/doctrinal matters: It's basically a history of farce and fiasco that raises serious questions about the Latin Church's authority.

Contrary to what Church historians will tell you, the ongoing schisms did reflect fundamental ideological differences. The schism of Antioch, which lasted into the 5th century, involved dissension on Jesus' divinity (Arianism). The schism of Acacius - considered to be the single most important early schism - arose from conflicting views about Jesus' dual nature. The 6th-century schism of Aquilea was as byproduct of the Latin church's attempts to to manage the after-effects of the earlier monophyte schism.

The most dramatic and most enduring schism gave rise to the Eastern Orthodox church, which still exists today. The trinity - and more specifically Dual Procession theory - was a central point of contention that resulted in the historically unprecedented Great Schism. The so-called dual procession of the Holy Spirit was the scholarly invention of Augustine (354–430 AD). It is very obviously not Biblical.

I would contend that these enduring conflicts would never have never even come about were it not for the overzealous makers of dogma who sought to rationalize and solidify their position by imposing doctrines of their own manufacture.

Might I just put in here that I totally concur with Abdullah's critique of the Perennialist interpretation of Ibn Arabi, not that I can offer any comment on the orthodoxy of Ibn Arabi himself, but as a Catholic I am aware of the same heterodox tendency in interpreting Christian Scripture and Tradition as pointing towards their own innovations, of the Transcendent Unity of Religions, which is entirely of their own manufacture, and which has no actual basis in any revealed tradition they claim to uphold (nor indeed, it could be argued, in philosophy).

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

That is indeed true; I think this perrenialistic tendency of theirs is more motivated by the secular/materialisitic ideology/philosophy to 'unite the religions under the umbrella of the materialist ideology' so it will be a lot easier for the ruling elite to rule and shape the world in the way they desire [or am I being too conspiracy theory minded here :)]

Peace

or am I being too conspiracy theory minded here

I am sure there were some "deists" that came out of the enlightenment who genuinely believed in their convictions. Maybe they didnt count on the impact someone like David Hume would have... Or maybe they always wanted someone like him to come along...?

We dont really know the history of what really happened, but we can speculate. I used to be sure everything was controlled by shadowy groups in the dark, who planned out the rest of human history 500 years ago... but today, I am not so sure... The patterns in history, they are just too perfect... it seems almost impossible for any group of materialistic mercantilists to have set all this up...

Its almost as if God Himself allowed all of this to come about... and not because of the wishes of these perenialists, or any such group... but because society itself lost its faith. And like it is stated in the Quran: once a people change what is in their hearts, God changes their state (for better or worse).

So whatever the intentions of the "elites", at the end of the day its the people who go along with everything...

Dauer, I like the selection of Ibn Arabi, because he is a little less known than some of the the other great Islamic philosophers of his time including Avicenna, Averros, and al-Farabi. Here is a quote which brings some issues together for me, it is from the SEP:

It was utterly obvious to him that there is no Real Being but God and that everything other than God is unreal being; this is another way of saying what Avicenna says, that all things are possible or contingent save the Necessary Being.

It looks like the ideas of: 1) G-d's existance, 2) his unity, and 3) his non-corpealism, were all being thought about during this time, and of course they ended up as the first three of Maimonides Principles, sometime later.

Netti-Netti —
The so-called dual procession of the Holy Spirit was the scholarly invention of Augustine (354–430 AD). It is very obviously not Biblical.

Really?
"But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send (one) in my name (and two) ... "

'nuff said.

Thomas

... [or am I being too conspiracy theory minded here :)]

Hi Abdullah —

I think they represent a snapshot of their particular era, this was the age of theosophy, anthroposophy, spiritism ... the Catholic Church, as a 'thought leader' had battened down the hatches to ride out modernism and was entrenched in a dry scholasticism ... they were looking for some order of intellectual spearhead ... just my musings ...

René Guénon was, of course, in and out of every esoteric institution going, France in his day being a hotbed of the esoteric ... and very casutic of them, too!

... on the topic of conspiracies, I would be interested to hear your views (if any) as to why so many Perennialists are Sufis? Maybe a topic for discussion elsewhere.

Thomas

"But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send (one) in my name (and two) ... "

'nuff said.
What does this tell us about Consubstantiation?

Nothing.

What does this tell us about Coeternality with the Father?

Nothing.

What does this tell us about Equality between the three Persons of the Trinity ?

Nothing.

Back