Are veiled women a threat to the world?

I have to use my gifts sparingly so as not to overpower everyone.

then I challenge you to an argument. Tomorrow at dawn. You and I will duel. To the death. Have your pistol ready. Let us argue with honour. Settle this like men.:cool:

Tamar said:
so if they can wear dress like clothes in Muslim countries then why can't women wear pants??

it may seem trite but it simply is nothing more than men make the rules and they, generally, aren't so keen on women running around in dungarees, far better for long flowing outfits that cling so interestingly in the desert winds.

as for men wearing the long flowing robes thing... it's a desert kind of thing, more cultural than anything. you won't find that sort of thing in Malaysia, for instance, unless those Muslims happen to be from the Gulf area. which, of course, there are a fair amount.

in Western societies the choice of Muslim women has more to do with culture as well and rather than it being an acceptance of Gulf Arab culture which makes women third class citizens it is a rejection of Western culture and it's perceived emphasis on materialism.

where i lived in Libya girls could wear pants and shorts and all of that until a certain age...what that was i couldn't say but it must have been late teens.. after highschool since all my friends in school wore typical western style jeans/sneakers/tshirts.

Saltmeister said:
Let us argue with honour. Settle this like men.:cool:
Perhaps you and I can finally get this veil issue settled for everyone. Since I don't know anything abou the issues I'm going to suggest to Brian that he add a thread with a coin-flip function. That way when we have a disagreement we can just click the 'Flip coin' button and the result will be recorded.

Perhaps you and I can finally get this veil issue settled for everyone. Since I don't know anything abou the issues I'm going to suggest to Brian that he add a thread with a coin-flip function. That way when we have a disagreement we can just click the 'Flip coin' button and the result will be recorded.

The other way of dealing with disagreements is to get people to watch funny videos. Like this one:

YouTube - ‪Alternate Ending to Enterprise: Flashed- Episode 4‬‏

and this one

YouTube - ‪Enterprise: Flashed Trailer (2005)‬‏

Saltmeister, let me answer seriously that second video shows a little too much skin for a conversation with a Muslim; and also it is not an original Star Trek. Also Star Trek is not about veils but about spreading the message that baldness is just ok. I could cite numerous powerful bald characters both women and men in Star Trek. Very few are veiled, but its a US syndication. Roddenberry was a genius, bottom line. Was he bald? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter.

Austria has a law accommodating religious headwear, so a teen asked to have his driver's license picture taken with him wearing a pasta strainer, which he claimed was sacred to his "Flying Spaghetti Monster" beliefs. After a three-year court battle, his request has been granted (picture included in the story).

This issue hit the news again. A New York amusement park bans headgear, of any kind, on certain rides because of safety concerns (not hypothetical; there have been some nasty accidents in the past). A Muslim community center organized an Eid celebration at the park, and a woman upset that she couldn't go on a ride without taking off her headscarf got belligerent; when she was arrested (with all the "politeness" New York's Finest are famous for) the family rushed the cops and were arrested roughly as well.

The park says they had warned the community center ahead of time that some rides would be off-limits to scarf-wearers. The woman says that when she was told she couldn't get on, all she was asking for was her money back, not an exception to the rules. The whines about "This only happened because we're Muslim!" seem out of place: the rules are of general application, not designed against them; it's like, if it's against your beliefs to take off your clothes, don't go to a nudist resort. But, it does sound as if the matter could have been handled with much more courtesy: if she misunderstood the rules, then give her a refund and an apology. It is not really clear in the story who lost their tempers first.

EDIT: the comments thread is also worth reading, for the sheer ugliness of the attitudes on display (Yahoo News comments, for some reason, draw the same kind of crowd as YouTube comments).

Back