Essential Music

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Ì know we have a couple of music threads, but I want to dedicate this one to something more specific - to help expand our musical boundaries.

The "rules" are simple - post a link to an online version of a song you think others should hear - and importantly, not post anything again until at least 3 other people have posted a song.

That should allow a very eclectic mix of music.

While it would be easy just to post loads of stuff, I want everyone to think very carefully about which songs are the most important to share.

Also, see if we can avoid anything too popular, classic, or obvious, without clear justification.

See if we can introduce one another to interesting music we might not have encountered before. :)

Starting first - very popular among some people, but not everyone will have heard it - and probably represents a creative peak:

[youtube]3M_Gg1xAHE4[/youtube]

Radiohead - Pyramid Song

Still can't work out the beat on this. :)

By about a minute into this I feel like phoning the mental hospital and demanding to be sectioned :p

Good piano tho.

By about a minute into this I feel like phoning the mental hospital and demanding to be sectioned :p

I'm in the next bed to you, Tao. Although as a lapsed Peter Hammill fan this if practically a feel good Christmas song!

s.

Good piano tho.

After it hits 2 minutes and starts to go upbeat into the crescendo I think is great - but I appreciate that not all music posted here will be enjoyed by everyone.

However, I think even trying to expand boundaries in music is good. :)

Was inspired to do this thread after watching a program on MTV2 about bands Dave Grohl (drummer in Nirvana, singer/guitarist in Foo Fighters) had worked with - there was a P Diddy collaboration that was actually pretty decent, and I suspect, despite all my prejudices, that I might actually like a little hip hop.

A great way to discover new music is to have it recommended. :)

In-A-Gadda-DeVito by Upsilon Acrux.

upsilon acrux on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

(takes a while to load on my cranky old PC)

s.

mines must be even crankier! must know ma music cos l thought of king crimson right away, then talking heads n both mentioned:cool:
jazzy too

will promote dnb [saw/heard roni size dj'ing recently but bryan gees de man liqueed] this is a kinda darker mix combined with the vid.
YouTube - Taiyo(2004)

hey, it could'ave been 'the bends' [ace]

I'm so tempted to try and hijack and turn this into a thread on music to put you off music... damn.... never could resist a temptation...
This is for all you bean lovers out there...
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z7-12iJ8xTM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z7-12iJ8xTM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

that was like a totally interfaith tune bahai jew christian muslim..could all tune in!
demi..maxi demigod of wind

how do you embed that here?

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMziAbrk024&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMziAbrk024&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

That's interesting, Tao - who's the artist, please?

Also, while we're on eastern themes - couldn't find the song I was looking for on YouTube, but this should do:

[youtube]Dnsw39pz7Cc[/youtube]

Back