R.i.p

To me it is respect..... The person has passed, let them go peacefully lol.... Sure there can be humour but the jokes and laughing -AT- the dead is so freaking wrong man...
I don't believe it for a minute.

So you must have a time line eh? What is it 10 years later a hundred?

Moses, Jesus and Ghandi got on a plane...oops forget that they are all dead, inappropriate. (oops again...I guess Jesus jokes are ok for Christians)

You tell me there are no jokes in England about dead kings, queens, prime ministers, or televsion stars that you've laughed at and repeated??

Correct.... I don't actually 'do' joke jokes.... Not my thing. And I do not really interact with many people in real life lol.... So that also puts a damper on it.

I look at like this man/woman.... Whatever say man for a minute was a human... This was someone's son, brother, father, hero, uncle, cousin, friend... I hear jokes AT the dead and they make me cringe.... They are not funny, you can't sell me this product wil lol. Because I then imagine, what if this was my friend, brother, father or whatnot... what if this was me? lol...

Did anybody else happen to watch Mr. Jackson's memorial service?

Would anybody like to comment?

on msn news - investigating jackos brain for clues

"As soon as we are done with the brain, we will return it," Mr Winter said. "There is a whole series of tests that will be done."

Must be terible for the family; aren't Jehovahs Witness' abhorrent towards any surgery/hospital intervention? ok he's dead and its a legal thing...

sunglasses sunglasses and more sunglasses

the best bits were the screenings of young micheal singing as in glory to g#ds

Yes, sunglasses and really wide brimmed hats.

I thought it was a tasteful memorial. Some of it was to be expected I suppose. I didn't care for Al Sharpton's speach (I don't care much for Sharpton anyway), but he did make one salient point in that Michael Jackson opened a door with his music, that white folks that were comfortable with his music were finally comfortable voting for "a person of color." I felt the speach by MLK's son and daughter was fitting. I found the speach by Brooke Shields moving, shedding a little light on an aspect of both she and Michael's life that wasn't really public knowledge...intimate but not in any way sexual. I think we got a good look at the children, I hadn't realized they had grown so much, and the extensive role he played in their upbringing.

I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson. The only reason I watched is that I had the opportunity and I was bored. I was impressed. I expected a circus, it was anything but. It was tasteful, heartfelt, sincere. I came away with a newfound respect for the man, even if I still don't care much for his music other than a few pieces.

Now is the time to let him rest in peace. If the media had any sense of decency, they would know that the time for exposes and criticizing the man's lifestyle is past, it is time to move on now to other things.

Good article.

Thomas Jefferson was a complex man. Seems I heard this story of Jupiter before, but of course people are more familiar with Sally Hemmings. Tommy J. was...controversial?...on a lot of matters of what was considered socially acceptable. Ever got the gist of the Jefferson Bible? Fascinating human being, whether you like him or not. And again contrary to typical social behavior at the time, he set his servants free at his death instead of willing them as property to relatives, or so I've heard on more than one occasion. ;)

PBS had an episode not all that long back about the first black indentured servants, and how that was gradually changed into slavery in the north. Another episode was about the foundation of Liberia, the British leuitenant (sp?) that led the expedition, and the ex-US / ex-Canadian expatriate servants who were tired of getting the shaft even though they were freed. Unfortunately the leiutenant was called away and was not allowed to return, the secondary leadership and the leaders sent from jolly ol' England to take the leiutenant's place were crooked as snakes and bent on exploiting the newly founded African colony.

Some things never change...

I didn't care for Al Sharpton's speach (I don't care much for Sharpton anyway), but he did make one salient point in that Michael Jackson opened a door with his music, that white folks that were comfortable with his music were finally comfortable voting for "a person of color."
I think that was the biggest load of crap I heard. I think the folks that made inroads of white folks buying and listening to black musicians were the likes of Charlie Pride, who opened the door to country music of all places, Ray Charles, Pearl Baily, Chuck Berry, and umpteen more individuals and bands from the 40's and 50's that paved the way for the Jackson 5 and Michael to catch some momentum.

I've realized during this discourse the reason I never followed him or his music. I've never been pop, top 40, bubblegum music...and he may have been King of Pop. I'm an old rocker and when disco came in I went out and stuck with the b side of my old albums and blues, jazz, classical and western (not country)... so I've missed the past 35 years of music (since mid 70's) my mp3 has thousands of songs on it....but not one of his.

Good article.

Thomas Jefferson was a complex man. Seems I heard this story of Jupiter before, but of course people are more familiar with Sally Hemmings. Tommy J. was...controversial?...on a lot of matters of what was considered socially acceptable. Ever got the gist of the Jefferson Bible? Fascinating human being, whether you like him or not. And again contrary to typical social behavior at the time, he set his servants free at his death instead of willing them as property to relatives, or so I've heard on more than one occasion. ;)

PBS had an episode not all that long back about the first black indentured servants, and how that was gradually changed into slavery in the north. Another episode was about the foundation of Liberia, the British leuitenant (sp?) that led the expedition, and the ex-US / ex-Canadian expatriate servants who were tired of getting the shaft even though they were freed. Unfortunately the leiutenant was called away and was not allowed to return, the secondary leadership and the leaders sent from jolly ol' England to take the leiutenant's place were crooked as snakes and bent on exploiting the newly founded African colony.

Some things never change...

So what is your comparison of both the stories? :confused:

one thing that l forgot that did get my attention was smoky robinson's speech on remembering how he couldn't believe how michael sang such songs full of hurt so young and with such emotion, even l cringed a bit as he seemed to be illustrating/confirming on stage the abuse he went through at the hands of his father who obviously was sitting in the front row...

motown industry...soul .. it beats charley pride or america's obsession with country music any day! [or is charley in another category?:confused:]

one thing that l forgot that did get my attention was smoky robinson's speech on remembering how he couldn't believe how michael sang such songs full of hurt so young and with such emotion,

I seem to recall he and Gordy both said Michael sang Smokey's song better than he did. Smokey wanted to see how old Michael really was.

Back