Ken Wilber central

Snoopy

Reaction score
I'm thinking there should be a thread for all things Wilber. (And in what I think might be in the spirit of the man's integrating approach, can it be a positive, sharing, comparing kind of a vibe please :))

(I see there's a few threads but it might be good to have it all under one roof).

And for those of us in the starting blocks (or like me, still looking for their socks in the changing rooms):

Ken Wilber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About | Integral Institute

s.

It is interesting to note that here we have yet another great thinker who started with the Tao.

Indeedy :)

s.
From the "deconstructing genesis" thread:

Chinese - There was something featureless yet complete, born before heaven and earth; Silent – amorphous – it stood alone and unchanging. We may regard it as the mother of heaven and earth. Not knowing its name, I style it the "Way."

The Way gave birth to unity, Unity gave birth to duality, Duality gave birth to trinity, Trinity gave birth to the myriad creatures. The myriad creatures bear yin on their back and embrace yang in their bosoms. They neutralize these vapors and thereby achieve harmony.​
Of all the creation myths CZ posted none resonates with the scientific models of today quite so acutely. For all the perversion, stretching and skewing that some Islamists and Christians do to claim prescience none comes even close to this. It has evolution theory, Big Bang theory, matter/anti-matter theory all contained in a few words. If that is what you want to see.

I have to do some reading, not sure whether to get SES or A Theory of Everything first. Reccomendations welcome.

I like this...
Are the mystics and sages insane? Because they all tell variations on the same story, don't they? The story of awakening one morning and discovering you are one with the All, in a timeless and eternal and infinite fashion. Yes, maybe they are crazy, these divine fools. Maybe they are mumbling idiots in the face of the Abyss. Maybe they need a nice, understanding therapist. Yes, I'm sure that would help. But then, I wonder. Maybe the evolutionary sequence really is from matter to body to mind to soul to spirit, each transcending and including, each with a greater depth and greater consciousness and wider embrace. And in the highest reaches of evolution, maybe, just maybe, an individual's consciousness does indeed touch infinity—a total embrace of the entire Kosmos—a Kosmic consciousness that is Spirit awakened to its own true nature. It's at least plausible. And tell me: is that story, sung by mystics and sages the world over, any crazier than the scientific materialism story, which is that the entire sequence is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying absolutely nothing? Listen very carefully: just which of those two stories actually sounds totally insane?

—Ken Wilber, A Brief History of Everything, 42–3.

It is a good argument, but a flawed one. No-one in their right minds thinks there is no purpose in the entire sequence(s). There are many scientific materialists that recognise and try to explain the purpose and its methods. My own diatribes against Muhammad even recognise that there was purpose, just not the one claimed.
Still, I needed something/someone new to read...so thanks :)

From the wiki entry I found the theory of truth section interesting; in general terms and more specifically in respect of us here on this forum. We're not always talking about the same "type" of truth perhaps, are we?

s.

Very true. That's one of the main things I've gotten from Wilber, a greater degree of perspective-taking. I'm also much less likely to label people and ostracize others so long as I don't have to bother with too many red idiots.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4I530FYX1c[/youtube]

A game!

Spot the coke freak...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3E8CAWawn2g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3E8CAWawn2g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Actually rather liked his 3 faces of God notion. Made a lot of sense to me.:) I'd posted a link to an interview with him re that on this site long ago. earl

i'm starting to see where this could be useful in my corporate work, in fact. take a look at the "official" site for SD:

Spiral Dynamics > Home

there is quite a lot of interesting information there. in "a theory of everything" ken wilber superimposes the "four worlds" kabbalistic model on the colour spiral. however, i am not sure the linearity is correct. i'm doing some work on this and will post the results.

b'shalom

bananabrain

there is quite a lot of interesting information there. in "a theory of everything" ken wilber superimposes the "four worlds" kabbalistic model on the colour spiral. however, i am not sure the linearity is correct. i'm doing some work on this and will post the results.

I'll be very interested to see that. I know that there has been writing specifically dealing with Wilber's theories and kabbalah but I'm not sure where. Let me see if the wise oracle can help me... *googles* ... Nope. Nada. But there is, I'm pretty sure, a lot written in the realm of integral business.

Back