Swine Flu

This could turn into a huge story :

Do you believe they will really have 45 million doses by Oct. 15 ?? What if it turns out that they only have a few thousand doses ready by that date ???

Remember a couple of years ago when the gov't could not provide the flu vaccine all season.

Any comments from the libertarians :D ?
Yes we all remember, it was one of the lowest flu seasons in recent history. And the vaccine came out way late and they didn't get enough takers and tried to force it on us. Funny no vaccine, no flu....

And in today's news the DC and Virgina schools begin mandating HPV vaccine for 11 & 12 year old girls to go to school!

Some interesting reports from a "presidential advisory group" and CDC:

There was a lot of confusion last week about swine flu. A presidential advisory group issued a “plausible scenario” in which a swine flu epidemic could cause up to 90,000 deaths, three times the mortality in a typical flu season. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention countered that the toll would most likely not approach that number. ..............

...........The report posited an epidemic that could produce symptoms in 60 million to 120 million people and cause as many as 90 million to seek medical attention; up to 1.8 million could be hospitalized, 300,000 could flood into crowded I.C.U.’s, and 30,000 to 90,000 people could die. ......................

.............In the initial outbreaks last spring, an estimated 800,000 New Yorkers, 10 percent of the city’s population, developed symptoms attributed to the swine flu virus. Only 54 died — an encouragingly low death rate. Most infected people got better without medical treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/opinion/01tue1.html?hpw

This could be the major story for the Fall season.

Baxter Intl. the firm that patented the H1N1 vaccine last August... is doing quite well recovering during this recession....their stocks (BAX) did go down from 70 to below 50 but they are up above 55 and climbin since orders have been rolling in since July...

This could turn into a huge story :

Do you believe they will really have 45 million doses by Oct. 15 ?? What if it turns out that they only have a few thousand doses ready by that date ???

Remember a couple of years ago when the gov't could not provide the flu vaccine all season.

Any comments from the libertarians :D ?
I hope they don't try to "stretch" the vaccine by adding more immune response boosters to it. I'd hate to see an increase in autoimmune disorders (like MS, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus, from the vaccine.)

Make sure you stock up on vitamin D while you can.
It has been said by researchers that one may require from a minimum of 1000IU to 4000IU on a daily basis to maintain optimum health levels.
Do your own research and don't rely on professionals who make money off of sick people as they really do have an ulterior motive.

Maybe ask why the gov't and the health care providers are busy pushing vaccines and other such things (while providing them with blanket legal immunity), yet do not advise the people about simple nutritional tips.

You won't stay alive by being a lemming or sheep type.

Maybe ask why the gov't and the health care providers are busy pushing vaccines and other such things (while providing them with blanket legal immunity), yet do not advise the people about simple nutritional tips.

You won't stay alive by being a lemming or sheep type.

Shawn, I think it is fair to say that you are a conservative libertarian feminist :D !!

My mum came to visit last weekend - I mentioned about us possibly having had Swine Flu in July.

She was glad we hadn't taken the vaccine - one of her friend's children had, and lost all nervous sensation. Apparently it's a known side effect - has a name, but am afraid I've forgotten what it's called.

It's supposed to be only temporary, but even still, does not sound like an acceptable trade off - especially when Swine Flu only seems to kill people who are already suffering major health problems. Like flu can.

Two university students have been diagnosed with "Swine Flu" here (one attends my university, the other attends another one.)

I'm debating whether or not to get the shot since I have been diagnosed with asthma plus I live in an apartment complex with "at risk" population for "shinigami"* visits".)

*Shinigami are what "Westerners" call the Angel of Death. The closest translation is "death god/s"

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Let's face it, Swine Flu at present is no more dangerous or virulent than normal seasonal flu.

If you're at risk of death from normal flu, you may benefit from getting the shot.

If not, I can't fathom any reason for anybody to be issued with it.

Oink. I don't think I've had swine flu, though my hooves have been aching and my tail twitches every time I sneeze. I also constantly smell bacon.

From - BREAKING NEWS AND OPINION FROM BASIL & SPICE - H1N1: 76 Pediatric Deaths Raises SignificantConcerns

As of Friday, October 9, 2009, a total of 76 H1N1-associated pediatric deaths in the U.S. were confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Over the last three years, deaths among children from the regular seasonal flu have ranged from 46 to 88. Given that it is yet only early October, the loss of 76 children due to the H1N1 virus raises significant concerns for their protection and safety. In this post, I address some important facts relevant to the care of children who may at a higher than average risk of an H1N1-related complication, and also reiterate prevention guidelines that may be of benefit both to physicians and others taking care of such children.
DEFINING WHICH CHILDREN ARE AT A PARTICULARLY HIGH RISK FOR FLU-RELATED COMPLICATIONS:
1. It is well known that children younger than 5 years of age, and those who have high-risk medical conditions are at an increased risk of Influenza related complications. Children at higher risk include all children with immune suppression, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, asthma, heart disease, sickle-cell disease, or other problems related to the lungs.
2. In addition to the above, children with any condition that affects respiratory function including neurological conditions such as intellectual and developmental disability, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, seizure disorders, metabolic conditions or other neuromuscular disorders have higher risk.

http://www.basilandspice.com/swine-flu-resources/

Is the swine flu vaccine safe? - health - 21 October 2009 - New Scientist

The UK starts vaccinating people against swine flu today; in the US and Australia, vaccination has already begun. Can we be sure that safety hasn't been compromised in the race to test and produce the vaccine? Didn't vaccination hurt people during the last big swine flu scare? And do the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks? In this excerpt from our in-depth feature Swine flu: fact versus fantasy – to be published in full next week – New Scientist sorts the myths from reality.

This flu isn't always mild and unlike ordinary flu it mostly kills young people, including the healthy (see diagram). You might be one of the unlucky few. And even if you only get the mild version yourself, you might infect a family member or friend who then becomes severely ill. So doing nothing is risky, even if the odds are low.

************Follow the link for more information.

Back