Pets?

My guess would be no, due to this passage at Exodus 22:31
31 "Be My holy people. You must not eat the meat of a mauled animal (U) [found] in the field; throw it to the dogs.​

Pets don't have to be kosher.

edit:

Oh, you were asking about food. afaik not normally, but I'm pretty sure some people see it as problematic during pesach if the pet food is chametz.

Some do, some don't. I know of a company that makes kosher pet food, but I believe it's going overboard (although there are several families I've met that won't give their pets anything but kosher pet food.)

I feel that as long as the pet food isn't going to make the companion ill, nobody's going to care one one way or the other. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

wil,

strictly speaking, kashrut only covers the method of slaughter and the inspection, cleaning and preparation of meat, as well as what happens from that point up to the point you eat it. however, there is a large body of opinion that maintains that the ethical side of kashrut ought to go all the way up the supply chain, so kosher ought to mean ethical all the way. it is hard (from my perspective) to see how any form of unnecessary suffering to animals can be justified as part of the process and, indeed, since the agriprocessors scandal, this has begun to be taken more and more seriously.

re hametz, pet food would have to be kasher le-pessah, because the halakhah is about hametz in your *possession*, not just for consumption. normally, it wouldn't be a problem AFAIK.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Thanks for replies!

wil,

strictly speaking, kashrut only covers the method of slaughter and the inspection, cleaning and preparation of meat, as well as what happens from that point up to the point you eat it. however, there is a large body of opinion that maintains that the ethical side of kashrut ought to go all the way up the supply chain, so kosher ought to mean ethical all the way. it is hard (from my perspective) to see how any form of unnecessary suffering to animals can be justified as part of the process and, indeed, since the agriprocessors scandal, this has begun to be taken more and more seriously.

re hametz, pet food would have to be kasher le-pessah, because the halakhah is about hametz in your *possession*, not just for consumption. normally, it wouldn't be a problem AFAIK.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I agree with your thoughts of suffering to animals.

Ok how about the food fed to food?

eg how do you raise a kosher animal for food? Does your sheep, cow, etc have to eat kosher?

As BB said Kosher is about suffering and the method of how an animal is, prepared to be ate. But I guess It also means preperation right? So you would expect the food to be fed to be acceptable.... Or it'd be like needing an injection for some illness or something, using a good and correct medicine, but injecting via like a crack heads needle. *shrugs* lol.

Some do, some don't. I know of a company that makes kosher pet food, but I believe it's going overboard (although there are several families I've met that won't give their pets anything but kosher pet food.)

I feel that as long as the pet food isn't going to make the companion ill, nobody's going to care one one way or the other. :D

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Over board? I indeed can see it as an excellent way to make a bit of monies!!! But, if it is something you really value, and see certain foods as unclean, surely you'd want the best for your pets? That's like being a member of an anti drug group but also supplying drugs at the same time :O lol... Me and my comparisons... I wonder if any one else ever... Gets them lol.

Pets don't have to be kosher.

edit:

Oh, you were asking about food. afaik not normally, but I'm pretty sure some people see it as problematic during pesach if the pet food is chametz.

But, What of animals that need far more than just grain? such as flesh?

My guess would be no, due to this passage at Exodus 22:31
31 "Be My holy people. You must not eat the meat of a mauled animal (U) [found] in the field; throw it to the dogs.

Nice one, thanks!

But, What of animals that need far more than just grain? such as flesh?
it would have to be kasher-le-pessah during pessah, but you are allowed to "derive benefit" from, say, pet food, so you ought to be able to keep it within your house as long as there wasn't a risk of someone eating it. when i had cats, they used to get kosher tuna cans during pessah, which made them very pro-the whole idea. interestingly enough, the test for whether something is food-like enough in order to be considered hametz for the purposes of pessah is "would a dog eat it?" - dogs being thought to have somewhat low standards, but not actually stupid enough to eat, say, cardboard.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Thanks again BB...

Rule of thumb being "would a dog eat it?"..... Well, one of my dogs eats my mail, has eaten a pair of my glasses, likes concrete, likes plastic and well... The list goes on.... She has the nickname Tiger Shark, eats anything (and mostly whole)... One day if I inspected her, uhm waste, you'd probally find a surfboard, a small child and many other things lol.

Back