Happy New Year

The :kitty:s hope they aren't too late with their contributions.

*the :kitty: delegation drag in their wagons laden with the symbolic foods of the season along with variations on the theme. After they deliver their goods, they commence mingling with those who observe the High Holy days*

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Thoughts of deconstruction, reconstruction. Not sure why, but all this talk about Iran made me wonder to see if Persia ever ruled Ninevah. This is the closest I could fine:

Nineveh's greatness was short-lived. Around 633 BC the Assyrian empire began to show signs of weakness, and Nineveh was attacked by the Medes, who about 625 BC, joined by the Babylonians and Susianians, again attacked it. Nineveh fell in 612 BC, and was razed to the ground. The people in the city who could not escape to the last Assyrian strongholds in the west, were either massacred or deported. Many unburied skeletons were found by the archaeologists at the site. The Assyrian empire then came to an end, the Medes and Babylonians dividing its provinces between them.

Nineveh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently, Medes comes from :

The Medes (New Persian مادها, Greek Μῆδοι, from an Old Persian Mādai; Assyrian Mādāyu) were an ancient Iranian people[2] who lived in the northwestern portions of present-day Iran.

Medes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't the modern day city of Mosul in northern Iraq, the former Ninevah??

Yes, Wil, I believe you are right. Here is some more information about the role Persia played in Mosul (Ninevah):

Mosul later succeeded Nineveh as the Tigris bridgehead of the road that linked Syria and Anatolia with Median Empire. In 612 BC, the Mede emperor Cyaxares, together with the alliance of Nabopolassar the Chaldean, conquered Nineveh.
Mosul became an important commercial center of the Median Empire and Persian Empire in the 6th century BC. Identification with the ancient Μέπσιλα (Mepsila) mentioned by Xenophon is disputed, while more likely is that with the Persian center of Budh-Ardhashīr.
It became part of the Seleucid Empire after Alexander's conquests in 332 BC and was later taken by indigenous Iranians under the Parthian Empire in 224 BC. The Parthian capital of Ctesiphon was sacked and conquered by the Roman Empire under Emperor Trajan, but quickly reverted back to the Parthian Iranians.[8]

Mosul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along with verses to Avinu Malkeinu there are verses to Imenu Malkateinu, for example.

For me the language of kingship isn't an issue. But what if it were?
Dauer,

The kingship language is an issue for me. I've really been gritting my teeth over the Avinu Malkeinu in recent years. I guess Imenu Malkateinu is something of an improvement, but I've never seen or heard that until I read your post just now. It goes without saying that at the mainstream Reform temple where I went to services, they used the traditional Avinu Malkeinu. It doesn't help that it's immediately followed by the words "we have sinned before you."

"Our father, our king, we have sinned before you..." Just how patriarchal is THAT?

--Linda

Back