Censorship Again

T

Tao_Equus

Micro management or control freakery is something that I find usually only causes problems and fall out. I have seen of late posts and threads removed that members here should have been allowed to read, now they cannot. They will never have the insights to be gained from them.
Other threads are getting closed for no good reason that I can see. Rama is a Hindu, from India I presume, and I feel like he is genuine. But because he has a non-western mindset and use of language he is getting torn up as just being reactionary. I could call this racism too but I know it is not. It is just people failing to understand each other.
Such censorship smacks to me of habitual reaction rather than fair and measured appraisal. It is dissapointing.

People are just too darn sensitive these days.
And the lawyers encourage such childishness.
Personally, I think that apart from a few basic rules there should be zero tolerance for all censorship across the board.
Secrets are for tyrants.

People are just too darn sensitive these days.
And the lawyers encourage such childishness.
Personally, I think that apart from a few basic rules there should be zero tolerance for all censorship across the board.
Secrets are for tyrants.

:D Tyrant!! :D:D Brian!! Maybe on day they might make the movie... could be done in 70s pastiche....I suggest the title should be "The Life of Brian"...:D

Rama is a Hindu, from India I presume, and I feel like he is genuine. But because he has a non-western mindset and use of language he is getting torn up as just being reactionary. I could call this racism too but I know it is not. It is just people failing to understand each other.
I think you are being ridiculous... seeing racism in these examples is only possible if you are determined to do so. Even the most liberal Victorians were by default racist by today's standards. As a Hindu, and a member of a faith where caste divisions are still endemeic, I think you should worry about that before before over anal-ysing some tired old fiction.
Sorta like talkin to yourself eh?

I agree with my friend Tao on this. Racism is hard to talk about. There's a lot of baggage, dis ingenuity, and cultural denial to slog through to get to the core issues. I thought that a number of interesting points had been raised in the Tarzan thread. I've never understood the rush to preemptively sanitize dialog on tough issues like this. If the thread devolves into nothing but name calling and vitriole I understand, but that's not what was happening in my view.

Chris

I agree with Tao, re-open the thread, lets see if Rama would still like to participate !!

I still suspect he is a feminst libertarian, and an oxymoron :D.

Sorta like talkin to yourself eh?

Maybe.... depends on whether you think my blunt words are insulting or not. They are really very rarely posted with that intention. My take is Rama is a kid, or its another c0de alias, and needed patience not banning.

My take is Rama is a kid, or its another c0de alias

wait...

what?? (LOL)

Dude, I don't need "aliases" (like you).. cuz I never got banned (like you).
There is nothing stopping me from sharing my thoughts on this forum...
(I just don't care to anymore.)

As for "aliases" i.e. multiple accounts, I think you and NickA
are the only ones in that... merry group ... *shudders*

I know you would love nothing more than to drag me down to your level,
but that aint happenin' 2day chief. :) u keep tryin' though ok?
icon14.gif
;)

One normal thread was closed, and Rama started multiple threads, sent multiple emails and multiple PM's, attacking the running of the running of the site, and refused to stop.

If someone does not like the forums, they don't have to post - but someone recently joining, demanding their own way, and then trying to drum up as much attention over the issue as possible is simply disruptive, and offers nothing of benefit to the community.

It's not censorship, it's editorial discretion, and the clue is in the fact that he complained that newspaper editors do not publish every letter they are sent.

Censorship as I understand it is when particular worldview's are denied a right to be heard. That doesn't happen here, save in the sole example of neofascism which is binned on sight.

So to claim censorship is happening here is really quite ridiculous - all I'm doing is enforcing basic forum rules.

The sad thing is how people keep insisting that they have the individual right to decide how the site is run, and I'm certainly not going to allow multiple threads to be posted to indulge in this topic.

As always, if anyone thinks my allowing people of every conceivable faith to post here without danger of being censored or limited, is somehow unfair, it is simply because they would rather promote an individual world view on others. I don't do that here.

If anyone thinks my insisting on basic forum rules is unfair and tyrannical, then I'm sure there are plenty of unmoderated forums on the internet where they may be happier.

In the meantime, we're not here at IO to discuss whether having basic and usually very flexible and forgiving moderation rules is a good or bad thing, and I'm certainly not going to allow time and attention to be spent on drama queens who insist on forum policy being re-developed to personally suit them.

Instead, we're here to discuss matters of faith, that's the site remit.

Now - does anyone have a perfectly valid reason why this thread should stay open?

Just to be clear....I was making a general remark to what tao had said and nothing in the aforementioned post should be taken personal as it was not directed to you Brian. Just general remarks about censorship in general.
Keep up the good work.
I appreciate it.:)

Brian,

Not sure that I disagree, it was probably a decent enough call but you did close a thread I, and possibly others, were not finished with. There was a momentum there that may have developed something worth reading.

It is your show Brian and overall I think you run a good ship so to speak. Maybe it is just me... but sometimes I like to voyage on the Good Ship Venus. I find peoples rants very revealing.

One normal thread was closed, and Rama started multiple threads, sent multiple emails and multiple PM's, attacking the running of the running of the site, and refused to stop.

I didn't know anything about any of that, Brian. I was just referencing the Tarzan thread.

All the best, and I do appreciate you and what you do.

Chris

Back