a perspective on 2012

I'm no Maya expert, but so far as I understand it, it is fairly accepted that the Maya long count calendar (there are more than one type of calendar) ends in 2012. However, the Maya had a cyclical rather than linear view of time, and their calendars were circular not linear, so this would just be considered an end of one age and a beginning of another. Sort of like we think of the millenium.

The Maya archaeologists I know think that people's misunderstanding of the Maya calendar "ending" in 2012 is mostly due to that cultural difference in how time is perceived. If you don't buy into a linear concept of time, there is no "end."

However, the Maya had a cyclical rather than linear view of time, and their calendars were circular not linear, so this would just be considered an end of one age and a beginning of another. Sort of like we think of the millenium.

If you don't buy into a linear concept of time, there is no "end."
Warning, wil's usual oversimplification to follow:

To me it is sort of like looking in the back of your old daytimer at the calendars provided for the future years...

I remember (before pda's) there being a block of 3x4 so 12 years... I never thought the world would end after those 12 years were up.

(that being said, I was enthralled scrolling through calendars electronically for thousands of years in the future... yes, I amuse easily)

Many people seem to have a deep yearning for the end. During the course of a lifetime everybody will see an alleged day of reckoning come and go several times. I think it is like a social extrapolation of a common personal half-wish to have all the hardship and misery that is a part of the human condition be brought finally to an end.

I agree- and I also think it has to do with people not wanting to face death and the aging process. If the end of the world comes, it is some vague notion that "my" group will be saved from the trouble. I think it is largely human avoidance of mortality and self-induced suffering. It puts off having to do anything practical about the horrid stuff that happens in the world, as well as having to face one's own impending death.

I think that there are big upheavals throughout time- we know this from looking at the past. But there is a difference between a big upheaval and "the end." Asking oneself how an upheaval can be best weathered is reasonable. But acting as though it is a somehow a solution for the human condition is not. At best, it would be an invitation for people to grow and develop... we have this invitation every day... so why not start now?

Oh noes! 2012!!! We's going to die!! The primitive indian peoples foresaw it!!.... Although... They didn't see their own demise.... *ponders...* OH NOES!! WE'S GOING TO DIE! And that purposely vague Frenchman said so too!

I think Trying to predict the end, is a circle jerk..... Just like trying to debate how many stars there is or about a god or so on and so forth.... It is a topic where any can throw out their bs theory and calculations because they know it cannot be disproven... :/

Well... The end of the world prediction I guess when the time comes.... But then, we can always spin our words ;) Or our personal end has already come to be... And it doesn't matter cause nah nah we can't hear you.

Hello,

I was also reading an important article on 2012 today from Going Bonkers? magazine. Briefly, I will mention what I read alongside a quote from A Theosophical Approach to 2012, because both are slightly similar. Here is Jenn's quote dealing with the Earth's weather patterns in the beginning of the thread:

On the apocalyptic side, there are speculations that the Earth's magnetic poles will reverse in December 2012, continents will sink, a new ice age will begin, and there will be super volcanoes, massive solar storms, cosmic collisions and the apparently inescapable one: on that year God will punish Earth for our sins.

Well, while magnetic pole strength is decreasing, I don't know if the magnetic poles will reverse (for Gregg Braden, the author of my article, does not believe so) and I don't agree with the extreme weather patterns mentioned above (like sinking continents), but, since the magnetic fields become weaker, the weather will change. Example: increase in tsunamis and earthquakes. However, increases in these types of weather activities commonly happens "when we are this distance from the energy source at the center of our Milky Way," says Braden. That's what I read from my article.

What I'm interested in is how our way of being "influences the fields of the Earth" and, if the fields influence us at all, by what degree? This is an interesting graph measurement of the Earth's magnetic field noticeably changing on 9/11.

graph_curndev_var_mean.jpg

earth's magnetic field, ionosphere, Global Coherence Initiative Monitoring System

Has anybody else read about this? I just came across this information today and wanted to get opinions on it.

Looks like our collectivness has created a beast. Maybe we are the gods we serve. Maybe we get what we sow. I think the answer is in the 11th dimension. Maybe akashik records can also be a steering wheel. Maybe we are human not humans. I bet our collective mind knows how depraved we are and is preparing our existance for a purge. Good thing we have a redeemer.

If 2012 was a reality it would no more be in our control than the next 5 minutes. One may spend every moment until this time in anxious preperation be it physically or spiritually only to find oneself struck by frozen waist from an airplane while praying or loading up the storm shelter the day of. If it is not a truth, one would have no way of being sure until the moment had passed. To be sure, something will happen be it man made, which i suppose, or from celestial making. It would be the perfect time for the powers of this world to usher in the new god state. However the something that may happen may only be intelectual. We may forget our father even more and convince ourselves even more profoundly he does not exist. To me there can not be a good end to this 2012 thing. But i have no fear of it. I have no fear at all.

Oh noes! 2012!!! We's going to die!! The primitive indian peoples foresaw it!!.... Although... They didn't see their own demise.... *ponders...* OH NOES!! WE'S GOING TO DIE! And that purposely vague Frenchman said so too!

I think Trying to predict the end, is a circle jerk..... Just like trying to debate how many stars there is or about a god or so on and so forth.... It is a topic where any can throw out their bs theory and calculations because they know it cannot be disproven... :/

Well... The end of the world prediction I guess when the time comes.... But then, we can always spin our words ;) Or our personal end has already come to be... And it doesn't matter cause nah nah we can't hear you.
if you only understood how exactly to much love can end you or exactly what love is. Maybe you do but that is not likely. I dont wish to argue . I just thought it very interesting that you percieve somehow that to much love can kill you. Id say consume instead. No flesh can look upon the father (who is love) unless he be consumed. Maybe you will want to change this, seeing now that it is scriptural.

Back