overcome by bliss

I was bliss induced by SG from another thread....
sg said:
Heh. Autotelic personality

Wiki has an interesting article:
Mechanism of flow
In every given moment, there is a great deal of information made available to each individual. Psychologists have found that one's mind can attend to only a certain amount of information at a time. According to Miller's 1956 study, that number is about 126 bits of information per second. That may seem like a large number (and a lot of information), but simple daily tasks take quite a lot of information. Just having a conversation takes about 40 bits of information per second; that's 1/3 of one's capacity.[7] That is why when one is having a conversation he or she cannot focus as much of his or her attention on other things.
For the most part (except for basic bodily feelings like hunger and pain, which are innate), people are able to decide what they want to focus their attention on. However, when one is in the flow state, he or she is completely engrossed with the one task at hand and, without making the conscious decision to do so, loses awareness of all other things: time, people, distractions, and even basic bodily needs. This occurs because all of the attention of the person in the flow state is on the task at hand; there is no more attention to be allocated.[7]

Even more revolutionary are the current findings of neuropsychology (like how we get caught in repetitious loops (Neuropsychology of PTSD) or how we see risk (JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie) or what the interreationship between mind and time is (http://fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/1_Neurophysiology_of_Time.pdf) or even quantum mechanics (Quantum Approaches to Consciousness (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy).mht).

Given all of this, bliss is a similar mind-effect-on-the-brain issue. One where the mind controls the EEG waves and ones general feeling. Probably based on very, very little information.... and that information being "hidden from materialist/reductionist science".

Pax et amore omnia vincunt.

Are you sure about that Kenneth? That has not been my experience.
I am much happier now, not getting what I really wished for throughout life, than I would be otherwise. Many times (in my ignorance) I have wished for things that would have brought me pleasure, but not long-term happiness. Long-term happiness, IMHO, is not something that is dependent on getting what you wish for.
IG

Yes that is true for many people at many times.

But there are others and there are times when there is need to desire / wish and do best to fulfil their wishes. If that happens don’t they be in bliss at its maximum.

After all we are humans and god has created us to desire, to scale up and achieve sometimes without compromise and be really blissful if that happens or sorrowful if that does not happen. That is why GOD has given us tears and tear glands.

We may fail, our prayers may be unanswered, but that should never stop the urge in us to desire to make things happen. We may refine / fine tune or even shift focus but desire / wish is essential to keep living. Desire is life. This whole world is created because of God's desire and he would want us to desire and be blissful when we get what we wished for.

As humans we need to be natural beings and be true to our feelings. Many religious teachings are misinterpreted and we cover our real self and try to be what we really are not.

We may become blissful by accepting our unanswered prayers but that should not lead us to inaction and make us hide our naturalness to desire and be blissful when our desires are fulfilled.

After all we are humans and god has created us to desire.... Desire is life. This whole world is created because of God's desire and he would want us to desire and be blissful when we get what we wished for. ..our naturalness to desire and be blissful when our desires are fulfilled.
desire...

de sire...

of father...

We have been created to desire? Of course it seems logical, we go on desiring constantly...

Desire grows out of a future oriented mind, what is the inevitability of every future though? This is why people are so depressed, eventually it clicks that being future oriented means you are always aiming towards death. It is utterly anti-life, because life only happens now.

Others are utterly stuck in the past, this too causes a problem. From the past, we bring much baggage and much repetition, now again we will begin to see that life is dull and monotonous and depression will ensue.

These are both an inevitability depending on your particular mind orientation, but neither are a mind oriented towards God. It is said God is the God of the living, but neither past nor future is alive - one has already died, the other is not yet born, only this present exists ever. If you can surrender to the present, life becomes enjoyable, otherwise you will die still wanting more. This moment is the gift, that is why it is called the present... do not let mind cause you to miss it.

Wil: this is the basis for the experiences you discuss in this thread, it is because you have surrendered utterly to the present. The bliss is felt because you have let go of all else, you are not desiring anything or remembering anything - you simply are.

I think there is desire that is met with frustration when it doesn't occur....

And then there is my constant prayer....the best for all concerned, this or something better. That desire I know is always fulfilled....although I can't always see the big picture, that time is an incredible healer and educator, that this to shall pass, and everything is.

I'm slowly moving from it's all good, to a nonjudgmental everything just is....

but I am stuck at everything just is.....good.

and must be honest in saying, I am enjoying it....

I think there is desire that is met with frustration when it doesn't occur....

And then there is my constant prayer....the best for all concerned, this or something better. That desire I know is always fulfilled....although I can't always see the big picture, that time is an incredible healer and educator, that this to shall pass, and everything is.

I'm slowly moving from it's all good, to a nonjudgmental everything just is....

but I am stuck at everything just is.....good.

and must be honest in saying, I am enjoying it....

All IS good, and all IS for enjoyment!

Who's enjoyment though?

Keep this in mind, it is the only true prayer - be grateful that you partake! Desire is a want to change things to your liking, but it isn't for you, you will be gone in time.

Dear Wil,

To feel Blissful in your situation is wonderful. You truly are sitting in the light...

Even when "bad" things happen (not getting home loan or having semi-psychotic experience) I find myslef in same situation, wil. I try to be nonjudgemental but just am having too much dang much fun here!

Bless, you, Friend

Even when "bad" things happen (not getting home loan or having semi-psychotic experience) I find myslef in same situation, wil. I try to be nonjudgemental but just am having too much dang much fun here!

Bless, you, Friend
Yes the lessons of life are incredibly valuable. How can we pass them up? How can we not enjoy them as presented?

Challenges or Opportunities? Perspective is such a powerful thing.

But that in itself is dualism....everything just is....is a challenge to me...which means opportunity....hmmm the circumambulation may have just lead me to an understanding....

It isn't challenges or opportunity....is is challenge AND opportunity...

It isn't hot or cold....it is hot and cold...

The tao...the ying yang....absolutes don't exist, so everything just is a matter of percentage perspective?

Dear Wil,

To feel Blissful in your situation is wonderful. You truly are sitting in the light...
Down ego....down. Namaste Vivida, you are a blessing to assist in identifying where work needs to be done. thank you and peace unto you.

Awareness....the first step in every process.

Yes the lessons of life are incredibly valuable. How can we pass them up? How can we not enjoy them as presented?

It is not just the value, but the suchness.:p

Challenges or Opportunities? Perspective is such a powerful thing.

Both, and neither. Just things to put into our pressure cooker monkey mind.:rolleyes:

But that in itself is dualism....everything just is....is a challenge to me...which means opportunity....hmmm the circumambulation may have just lead me to an understanding....

Ditto (wow, never thought I'd quote BS, thank you Mel Brooks).:cool:

It isn't challenges or opportunity....is is challenge AND opportunity...It isn't hot or cold....it is hot and cold...The tao...the ying yang....absolutes don't exist, so everything just is a matter of percentage perspective?

And you are now officially a qantum thinker! Yea! :D

Seriously, that is an insight I try to incorporate into my everyday worship. But it is so hard until (like you did) we have the experience in memory... it just "goes against" Western Culture (I do not use the other C-word because Ghandiji got it right "Western Civilization, I think it would be a wonderful idea!").

Pax et amore omnia vincunt!

bliss

good clean acid
loving relationships
freedom

although some of teachings that i have been looking into recently would say that bliss is just another sensation and therefore transitory so dont get hung up on it, just enjoy it while its lasts.

How I missed this I'll not know.

as RM said....GCA

too funny.

Although the psylocibin study that has been ongoing at John Hopkins since the 60's has lead to many interesting spiritual and blissful discoveries over the years.

And me, still blissfully unemployed, or gainfully unemployed, still going back into the old office to work (work on my stuff, on thier computers and copiers and phones) but that may soon come to an end, to often employees want to come and sit and talk and disrupt my productivity. (how wierd is that)

Did go to get some edjumacation and got my PMP, supposedly a worthwhile certification to prove that this aging hippy without a sheepskin actually knows what he knows.

NCOT and wil--

U no I heard that a couple of "jackmormons" out in Golden are legally trying to get a Native American Church for us white folks going! "On his white horse Mescalito he pulls into town".

… The consciousness of gratitude—that deep and abiding feeling of aliveness, well-being, serenity and joy—is a singular pleasure that transcends thought and circumstance. It is not a philosophical tenet or a theological doctrine to be debated and honed by rational discourse. It is not just another good idea to set alongside all the others. It is an experience that wells up from the ground of Being beyond the reach of the mind and its conceptual field. The consciousness of gratitude is not so much a way of thinking as it is a way of being. It is not something we achieve as much as allow. One thing's for sure. When you get one taste, you want more.
Nurturing a Consciousness of Gratitude | Unity

Read thru another bliss thread....hmmm 2011 I was laid off... I've been thinking it is time to go back to work... I've been wanting to do something that follows my bliss, that feeds my soul. I've been building temples, that does it, but doesn't pay. I've been marching and volunteering, again they don't pay. I could go back into construction management, and with my new lifestyle put 70% into the bank...but it feels like I am giving up...

Time for some contemplation... I don't really want to re-enter the material world, in a material way.

I've been wanting to do something that follows my bliss, that feeds my soul... but it feels like I am giving up...

Hi Wil —

I read a blog: "Follow your bliss and other myths"

I don't agree with everything the post says, but one sentence caught:
"In fact, the happiest people I’ve met over the last few years have not followed their passion at all – they have instead brought it with them."

The Traditions are full of stories that assert that dictum, I suppose the most famous being the Zen aphorism be both know, "Before enlightenment/after enlightenment"

So yes, the world needs people who build temples, who campaign, who make a mark ... but the world also needs people who do what they do and bring the best of themselves to what they do, then even in the most mundane labour, your bliss is with you.

Courage, mon brave. En avant! 'Out of strength comes forth sweetness' (cf Judges 14:4)

I don't really want to re-enter the material world, in a material way.
LOL, nor could you! The spiritual man is what the spiritual man does. When you do the material thing, you baptise it ...

"In fact, the happiest people I’ve met over the last few years have not followed their passion at all – they have instead brought it with them."
This is also something I have considered... doing the stuff I enjoy is one thing... HAVING to do the stuff I enjoy seems like it would turn into work....and possibly lose the enjoyment.

Taking pictures and shooting video is quite blissful to me. Trying to turn a buck from it, just the opposite. As my son has found to be the case with farming now that he's taken it on full time. Especially after being chewed out by his great uncles for overworking the soil and driving the wholesale price of barley down. The result of almost singlehandedly managing to increase our annual yield by nearly half, which in turn decreased our profits a like amount. Bliss to Blah in one fell swoop. -o_O

I hear you on avocation...getting gigs sometimes not so hard...getting them for what they are worth..getting paid...'nother story sometimes.

As for your kid...he must've felt good by increasing production...and then the monetary slap for doing so... ouch.. so hope it doesn't squash his spirit

Money's not even the main thing for me anymore, mate. It's having to compromise my artistic vision in order to satisfy the bloke signing the cheques lack there of.

The boy was white hot for a while, but a few pints later he was right as rain, lesson learned. Bounces back that one.

Back