Looking for intelligent believers to discuss fundamentals

M

Meahed

Fundamentals regarding the Jewish faith: oral and written law and the merits of which one has most truth in it.

Welcome Meahed! You can just post around the distractions. We have (or have had) several pretty knowledgeable Jews on this site. Try looking the up and doing a Private Message to them.

Welcome Meahed! You can just post around the distractions. We have (or have had) several pretty knowledgeable Jews on this site. Try looking the up and doing a Private Message to them.

Especially bananabrain (wherever he is/whatever he's doing.) He's Orthodox.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

i've got quite bored recently with the likes of ben hur and ben masada (both of whom sound suspiciously similar) and feel like there are no new subjects or new thoughts. and skinker seems to be more of the same, blah blah big lie blah blah no exodus blah blah israel-palestine blah blah conspiracy to control the world. *yawn* deary deary me, what a prannet.

on the other hand, meahed, what exactly did you have in mind? a good place to start with the fundamentals is the 13 principles of maimonides.

as for the "oral or written which is most important" question - it's the wrong question entirely, but it's where most people whose starting point is christianity start off. judaism is a living culture, one of the most ancient in the world, with a history that goes back 3,000 years at least. people have been predicting our demise for at least 2/3 of that period and we haven't packed up yet.

both oral and written Torahs are important; consider them our software and hardware respectively, with the land of israel our server room and Revelation as our bios.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Fundamentals regarding the Jewish faith: oral and written law and the merits of which one has most truth in it.

If you find items in the oral law that contradict the written text, be aware that's not Jewish. The Law and the Prophets, if we do not speak according to that method, it is because there is no truth in what we say. (Isa. 8:20)

Shema. N/T. Numero uno, Mark 12, Mt 22, Luke 10.

This is the overlap. Jesus was entirely orthodox, in the old sense. Mosaic Law is primal, and this was the Ten and the Shema in Deuteronomy. Peshat Law.

Deut 6:4 Hear oh Israel, YHWH Elohim, YHWH one. Love YHWH Elohim with all of your heart soul and might.

I don't believe there are many Jews that need to be informed of the shema here...

We discuss Christianity in the Christianity forum...Judaism in the Judaism forum, Islam in the Islamic forum....

No preachin or proselytizing... discussion.

I don't believe there are many Jews that need to be informed of the shema here...

We discuss Christianity in the Christianity forum...Judaism in the Judaism forum, Islam in the Islamic forum....

No preachin or proselytizing... discussion.

How about Rhetoric? Verboten?

Or just you own theo/philosophy?

See I already seen some from thee. Sprechen the Kingjamish rhetoric I do. But yours seems retro-from mine own ancient past. ME gen.

Actually I'm from AK. They mind their own business. And don't attend forums, much. See how I've grown?

Don't judge, don't preach. What Law of God came that from? Yours?

And too, the Shema as recited by modern Jews took on a whole nother flava. Care to discuss? I am all over it. But then again, this is what I do.

no preachin? read the forum rules? this ain't my sandbox we are playing in.

AK? never thought I'd see Wasilla on the national news... kept horses there... stayed in Talkeetna for a bit, and outside of Anchorage, and down on the Kenai...summer squatter....30 years ago...

no preachin? read the forum rules? this ain't my sandbox we are playing in.

AK? never thought I'd see Wasilla on the national news... kept horses there... stayed in Talkeetna for a bit, and outside of Anchorage, and down on the Kenai...summer squatter....30 years ago...

I went to Service Hanshew graduate of '76. Squatted in '76 and '77.

Maybe we both old and set in our grumps. Care to discuss, brotha?

Sarah Palin sounds too much like a cheerleader. Barbara Jordan was my brand of politician. That wall-eye you did not mess with. And a voice of gravitas.

Way down low...

Of similar vintage...however I was just a visitor in your fine state.... enjoyed it muchly...

would like to return sometime for another extended stay...we'll see....gotta go back at least once as I am making the rounds intending on hitting all 50 again...

If'n I were to be in your area...you might find me here... Welcome to Unity of Anchorage, Alaska!

or here... Anchorage Friends Meeting | Friends General Conference

Okay, seekers are.

But I quit seeking mid-eighties when I received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, pentecostally.

Now I am perfect, or almost. Nirvana is only the same experience, unattached to mental paradigms or God personal even though the JOY inexpressible was very personal.

A personal God gives a personal message of well not exactly only joy, but too the requisite to love God as He has just loved you, His beloved.

And here we are, right back to primal Judaic Law. Shema, my dear ones.

And discussion buds.

There was a big Baptist church I attended in Anchorage with friends...mega churchish...

Joel Osteen is the one this neck of the woods.

Pretty Boy. But I'm hetero.

Baptist Theology is a little baby. OSAS, and that. Calvinist, free pass to heaven.

Fear of God, no. Sitting pretty, okay God loves you.

How many times I say PRETTY? Pretty religion is pretty...well pretty.

I keep reading the new posts in this thread, expecting to see something related to Judaism. :p

A randy critique from a less-than-imho-cool theologian.

He comes up with a goodly criticism, but his own criteria about cults and what makes a "cult" is less than persuasive.

His mentor was Walter Martin, so-called expert on "cults," having written "The Kingdom of Cults."

Neither realizing that Abrahamic Monotheism was orthodox before they ever knew what modern orthodoxy in Christianity really is. Basically an affirmation of the Creed of 381, some eight generations after Jesus was here.

He also wrestled the org away from the Martin family. No comment, except suspicion. I is that, that is.

I keep reading the new posts in this thread, expecting to see something related to Judaism. :p

Is Shema? Related to Judaism? So why don't Christians preach it?

Then again there is nothead. He come to save the day. For us, not the Jews.

By "us," I mean I ain't Jewish. But fundamentally the Law upon which all the other Law and the prophets hang, is Shema.

Those who actually recite it know, I think.

Mt 22

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

This is an apology for reciting NT. But not really since it proves Jesus a rabbinical Jew, or 'orthodox' from his own POV.

The New Testament is not part of Judaism, and it most definitely has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Back