Looking for intelligent believers to discuss fundamentals

Is Shema? Related to Judaism? So why don't Christians preach it?

Then again there is nothead. He come to save the day. For us, not the Jews.

By "us," I mean I ain't Jewish. But fundamentally the Law upon which all the other Law and the prophets hang, is Shema.

Those who actually recite it know, I think.

Mt 22

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

This is an apology for reciting NT. But not really since it proves Jesus a rabbinical Jew, or 'orthodox' from his own POV.

Yes, Jesus was a Jew....but his followers are not.

Again though, we need to move Christian/NT discussions to the Christianity board...

I ain't the arbiter of these things, but we have a family style decorum around here...we don't leave a mess in others houses...

Again though, we need to move Christian/NT discussions to the Christianity board...

I ain't the arbiter of these things, but we have a family style decorum around here...we don't leave a mess in others houses...

I agree we deviated, but isn't going to the Jewish House trying to find the overlap between the Christian's mother religion and finding commonality?

I say the primal one is the same command YHWH Elohim gave when the Exodus ended...and Jesus Christ said and affirmed is STILL numero uno for those who follow him.

Now, Jews don't normally follow Jesus by tradition, but still I see an overlap here, a SIGNIFICANT ONE.

Then again since I ain't Jew, well maybe goyim no want there go? Wanting from the powers that be?

From the article:
This illustration serves to underscore a predictable trend; a trend now pandemic in American Christianity. Osteen and company simply use the Scriptures to communicate whatever they want. Again and again, Scripture is tortured in the process of deluding the faithful.

So what else is new? Scripture has a long sordid history for being used to support the agenda of radical groups. Hell, scripture is used to support the agendas of mainstream groups as well. The Bible has always been an all purpose book. People cherry pick the parts that support what they want to believe, and ignore those parts that do not.

It is one of the most significant reasons why I have no use for religion in my life.

From the article:
This illustration serves to underscore a predictable trend; a trend now pandemic in American Christianity. Osteen and company simply use the Scriptures to communicate whatever they want. Again and again, Scripture is tortured in the process of deluding the faithful.

So what else is new? Scripture has a long sordid history for being used to support the agenda of radical groups. Hell, scripture is used to support the agendas of mainstream groups as well. The Bible has always been an all purpose book. People cherry pick the parts that support what they want to believe, and ignore those parts that do not.

It is one of the most significant reasons why I have no use for religion in my life.

So you're basically saying that the Bible isn't telling a truth, all religions founded on it are lies?

From the article:

Proper exegesis allows for authorial intent. And the secondary intent behind the author: the Source of Inspiration.

Since we are on the Jewish Forum, this is YHWH Elohim, and the One True God.

Since we are speaking to anyone reading, apparently including the NON-religious, this God announces himself to Jewish patriarchs and prophets over the ages of the ages. Amen. Shalom.

And Hail to the Overcomers.

My foray was a probe. I probe until I get the boot.

Or make friends, either or. I don't especially love their customs. I do love their God.

God's identity is very important, by the way.

So you're basically saying that the Bible isn't telling a truth, all religions founded on it are lies?

Don't believe I ever said that. I did say that one can countenance just about any act or religious law by choosing the parts of biblical text that support someone's idea, and summarily rejecting anything else that does not support that ideal.

It's why we get atrocities like the Westboro Baptist Church, to name just one small example. Or the Inquisition to name a far greater atrocity. Religion is a one size fits all institution.

What I am saying is hardly restricted to Christianity. As this is the Abrahamic forum, I focused on that group. As you well know other religions have found their own ways to commit great sin in the name of their deities.

Proper exegesis allows for authorial intent. And the secondary intent behind the author: the Source of Inspiration.

Since we are on the Jewish Forum, this is YHWH Elohim, and the One True God.

Since we are speaking to anyone reading, apparently including the NON-religious, this God announces himself to Jewish patriarchs and prophets over the ages of the ages. Amen. Shalom.

And Hail to the Overcomers.

Nothead, I will assume that was a pithy reply. Unfortunately I have not a clue what you said! Could you restate your point from the view of a layman?

Don't believe I ever said that. I did say that one can countenance just about any act or religious law by choosing the parts of biblical text that support someone's idea, and summarily rejecting anything else that does not support that ideal.

It's why we get atrocities like the Westboro Baptist Church, to name just one small example. Or the Inquisition to name a far greater atrocity. Religion is a one size fits all institution.

What I am saying is hardly restricted to Christianity. As this is the Abrahamic forum, I focused on that group. As you well know other religions have found their own ways to commit great sin in the name of their deities.

But following your train of thought, "people (very general and inclusive) cherry pick" followed by "I have no use for religion", one might get the impression that religion (in general) is rather empty? We all have darlings here in the forum and we might not be as black and white as we come across, but as long as we consistently rail against the same things (like wil and that damn establishment!) and never make any mention to it's positive, black and white is what we project.

Nothead, I will assume that was a pithy reply. Unfortunately I have not a clue what you said! Could you restate your point from the view of a layman?

Exegesis:

critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture.

Proper exegesis allows for the intent of the author. If the author's intent is improbable pertaining to the interpreter's interpretation, then the interpretation itself is improbable.

So then people do in fact bend the scriptures like Beckham, but this is not usually proper exegesis. Verdad.

The pithy part was "Hail to the overcomers!" But in actuality I do goosestep for the same.

And this by the way is in opposition to HELL to the Overcomers!

Still think you are missing my point, Tea. Not sure how else to say it though, so shall leave it lay.

Nothead, I understand exegesis. The sticky in the wicket is who is to say whether the interpreter of the author's intent is improbable or not. It could be the interpreter who got it wrong, no?

And, curious, who are these Overcomers you are going on about. Again, I have no concept of what that term is supposed to signify….

I don't believe there are many Jews that need to be informed of the shema here...

We discuss Christianity in the Christianity forum...Judaism in the Judaism forum, Islam in the Islamic forum....

No preachin or proselytizing... discussion.

And you call this interfaith harmony? What about if a Christian or a Moslem comes to the Judaism forum with the intent to know about Judaism, do you send him back to his forum and wait for a Jew to come by to teach him?

And you call this interfaith harmony? What about if a Christian or a Moslem comes to the Judaism forum with the intent to know about Judaism, do you send him back to his forum and wait for a Jew to come by to teach him?

As long as they don't try to convert us, we aren't allowed to try and convert them (both restrictions are in the ToS of this forum and the Laws of Judaism) everybody's allowed to ask questions/interact throughout the forum.

The restriction is actually "spoken" about in the parables of Hillel.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

As long as they don't try to convert us, we aren't allowed to try and convert them (both restrictions are in the ToS of this forum and the Laws of Judaism) everybody's allowed to ask questions/interact throughout the forum.

The restriction is actually "spoken" about in the parables of Hillel.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Now, I did get it! How Judaism has any thing to do with this forum?

Who said that?? You can go to any forum and ask about their religion...

You seem however to like to go to other forums and TELL people about THEIR religion.

You seem however to like to go to other forums and TELL people about THEIR religion.

What if he feels that some of that religion's adherents are behaving improperly, and he has an obligation to point that out? And if he had friends and business associates who practice that religion, and who supported his opinions, then wouldn't that give him the right to express those opinions?

What if he feels that some of that religion's adherents are behaving improperly, and he has an obligation to point that out?
If anyone has question how and why someone practice as they do, it's encouraged to ask. Correcting someone on their religion is outside the bounds of interfaith. This isn't always followed here, of course, but most of the old timers try to walk the line.

And if he had friends and business associates who practice that religion, and who supported his opinions, then wouldn't that give him the right to express those opinions?
We are also encouraged to share our experiences and other points of views. Telling people they are wrong because we have another opinion or we know of someone who have another opinion is not welcome.

Not all forums. Christian forums because of the use they make of a Jew to teach against his Faith which was Judaism. As you know, Jesus was not a Christian but a Jew. So, to teach that Jesus was the son of God with Mary is the same as to teach about the Greek myth of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. (Mat. 1:18)

Back