Another Media "Star" Passed

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Sir Terry Pratchett, author of several series including Discworld passed today/yesterday.

I figured it would be better to post his passing here rather than in the Passings thread (Secular/Science forum) since he was better known for his prolific writing in the "fantasy" genre.:oops:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Abe Vigoda passed at the age of 94. He was in the 1970s comedy Barney Miller and its spinoff, Fish as well as a little-known movie titled The Godfather. He also acted in more recent stuff like the Snickers bar ad with Betty White.

Abe Vigoda passed at the age of 94. He was in the 1970s comedy Barney Miller and its spinoff, Fish as well as a little-known movie titled The Godfather. He also acted in more recent stuff like the Snickers bar ad with Betty White.

A great actor who always 'looked the part'.

94....helluva run...

It always looked like he had one foot in the grave in the Barney Miller show in the 70s (I guess that was makeup)

George Gaynes died Monday: he was 98.

For those who aren't familiar with the man, he was in seven Police Academy movies as well as Tootsie and Punky Brewster plus several others. He was also a trained baritone singer, having performed in both musicals and in operas both sides of "the pond".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Although he spent most of his career behind the scenes, many members might be familiar with Gary Marshall, who passed away at the age of 81.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Fyvush Finkel passed away at the age of 93. He was one of the last performers who worked in Yiddish vaudeville, transferring to movies and television quite a bit later.

Some of you might remember him from Picket Fences.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
I just learned that Kenny Baker passed earlier this month. Hardly anyone knew his name, but many of us marveled at his performance as R2 D2.

Ron Glass passed away at the age of 71.

"Who was Ron Glass?"

He was Ron Harris on Barney Miller, the voice behind the neighbor on Rugrats and he was in Firefly and it's sequel, Serenity. There were other shows/performances listed on his obituary, but I believe it would be easier to find his filmography than to post it here.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Florence Henderson passed recently as well. She's probably best known for her roll as Carol Brady on "The Brady Bunch" One of my sisters, also gone now, was a young mom at the time that show aired. She identified heavily with Florence's character. I remember my sister changing her hair style every time Carol Brady changed hers.

Last edited:
Ron Glass passed away at the age of 71.

"Who was Ron Glass?"

He was Ron Harris on Barney Miller, the voice behind the neighbor on Rugrats and he was in Firefly and it's sequel, Serenity. There were other shows/performances listed on his obituary, but I believe it would be easier to find his filmography than to post it here.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I only knew him from Firefly. Interesting. Thanks for alerting us to his passing. It has been a rather large year for celebrity deaths.

I only knew him from Firefly. Interesting. Thanks for alerting us to his passing. It has been a rather large year for celebrity deaths.
I think this has more to do with our age...the watchers....we are all of the age that folks with names we know are passing..it will increase for decades to come

Grant Tinker Passed yesterday. He was an American television executive and served as Chairman and CEO of NBC from 1981 to 1986. He was the co-founder of MTM Enterprises and was married to actress Mary Tyler Moore for 19 years (1962-1981).

Andrew Sachs passed last night, aged 86.

German-born, Andrew was the son of a Jewish father and Catholic mother, the family fleeing to Britain in 1938. He enjoyed a long career in TV and radio, but entered the national consciousness with his portrayal of the hapless Spanish waiter cruelly mistreated by the misanthropic Basil Fawlty in John Cleese's comedy series Fawlty Towers. Sach's underplayed performance opposite the OTT hotelier was the product of a profound rapport between the two actors — Cleese said they 'clicked', each bringing out the best in the other — and his performance is regarded as a comic masterpiece.

Maybe, in later years, the role will be derided as a racist stereotype, I dunno, seems just too OTT to be taken seriously ... but either way I'll 'fess up now, I laugh every time.

Greg Lake passed today, 69, after a battle with the Big C.

Remember King Crimson, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

He also wrote I believe in Father Christmas ...

Greg Lake passed today, 69, after a battle with the Big C.

Remember King Crimson, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer?

He also wrote I believe in Father Christmas ...

He's with Keith Emerson now.

I listen to one of King Crimson's hits occasionally (I think it's title is 21st Century Schizoid Man.) I was introduced to it by my friend, Tyler (his taste in music is more eclectic than mine.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Alan Thicke passed yesterday at age 69. He was probably best known for his roll as Alan Seaver on the TV series Growing Pains. He was also a TV theme song composer with the themes to Different Stokes and The Facts of Life to his credit as well as a number of game show themes.

Bernard Fox passed.

"Who?" you ask?

Some of you might remember him from Bewitched (Dr. Bombay, the "witch doctor",) and/or Hogan's Heroes, Then, again, he was involved in many other series, both before and since.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back