Nine Religions of Divine Origin

Discussion in 'Baha'i' started by 16Masail, Dec 28, 2016.

1. 16Masail

16Masail Bahá'i

I appreciate your curiosity but I would rather not talk about my family here. :)

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Sorry... It is one of the reasons I play here...to obtain as close to first hand knowledge as to what it is like in other countries. With what we hear about persecution of Baha'i in Iran of the limitations that women and others have experienced since the revolution.. I would have assumed getting out was an issue.

Oh well.

16Masail likes this.
  3. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

The Research Department memorandum is purely advisory in nature, not authoritative. You failed to mention this distinction.

4. 16Masail

16Masail Bahá'i

I didn't quote it as authoritative but to me, the opinions expressed by the Research Department carry more weight than those of you and I.

5. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

But our readers are unaware of that distinction, 口蜜腹剑人. The only reason you know about what the Research Department said is because Christopher Buck, one of the Baha'is you criticized as hiding something, published it in the first place.

6. 16Masail

16Masail Bahá'i

Then thank you for pointing it out, 朋友.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. 16Masail

16Masail Bahá'i

Okay, 我的朋友. I think that I should clarify my position for a moment. I didn't accuse Buck of hiding anything and I never pointed the finger at any individual. All that I'm arguing against are the statements of some Bahá'is (you're the one who mentioned name(s), not me) who claim that so-and-so (ex. White Buffalo Calf Woman) is a Prophet when those particular persons are not mentioned in the Bible, Qur'án, nor our Scriptures.

Even though this quote is about Joseph Smith, the rationale behind him being dismissed as a Prophet also applies to other individuals. Of course, whether the Native Americans had their own Prophets is not the issue. Instead, it's the "add names of people we (or anyone else) think might be Lesser Prophets to those found in the Quran, the Bible and our own Scriptures." [sic]

At the end of the day, this is my understanding of the Scriptures to which I am open to elaborate and correct as time goes on.

8. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

Here you said you don't hide aspects of the Faith (obviously implying that others do). Keep that in mind.

Here you refer to Christopher Buck's article. It is obvious you think he's "hiding" something controversial just because he didn't cite Shoghi Effendi there.

Yes, you did.

But you mentioned "some Baha'is suck up to Native Americans". Then you provided an example, saying "they'll claim that the White Buffalo Calf Woman was a prohetess". And which article did you refer to? Christopher Buck's article here.

So now let's unpack this remark about hiding in one paragraph. When you said "some Baha'is suck up to Native Americans", you were obviously lumping the author of the article in with a group of "some Baha'is". Then in another post (which is cited above), you wrote you "find it hard to hide certain aspects of the faith." You're the one that cited Buck's work, not me. Don't get angry if you can't connect the dots. One need not say "Christopher Buck is hiding something" to mean "Christopher Buck is hiding something". Does your hyper-literal mind grasp that?

Again, you need to be clear: they are not mentioned by name. Baha'u'llah clearly said "unto . . . all nations God hath sent his messengers".

Your point about adding "names" misses the point. Baha'u'llah regularly criticized those attached to names but oblivious to the reality. But I don't want to slap you with verses as you did with other Baha'is here. We're recognizing the reality. That's primary. The names are a secondary issue. Since you're impersonating a Baha'i, you must note the principle of harmony between science and religion. What was once "forgotten" has been brought to light through historical and cultural research. We can't overlook the fact that indigenous groups had names for their cultural heroes. The reason why the Baha'i Faith is growing so fast among indigenous groups is because Baha'i pioneers respect their cultural heroes and recognize truth in them.

StevePame likes this.
  9. 16Masail

16Masail Bahá'i

Ahanu,

My friend, let's just agree to disagree. It was a pleasure conversing with you.

10. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Baha'is do read the Bayan and accept it as a sacred scripture... of course we don't observe all the ordinances of the Bab as some have been abrogated by "Him Whom God would make manifest"- Baha'u'llah.
    Portions of the Bayan and references to it are quite numerous among them being:
    http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/the-bab/selections-writings-bab/#r=swb_en-3

and of course numerous references:
    http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/search#page=10&query=Bayan

A summary of the Bayan can be found at
    http://bahai-library.com/pdf/m/momen_summary_persian_bayan_shorter.pdf

In the days of Moses it was the Pentateuch; in the days of Jesus, the Gospel; in the days of Muhammad, the Messenger of God, the Qur'án; in this day, the Bayan; and in the Dispensation of Him Whom God will make manifest, His own Book -- the Book unto which all the Books of former Dispensations must needs be referred, the Book that standeth amongst them all transcendent and supreme.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 269