Mercuraen?

There's a Left Hand Path to everything . . . you just have to know where to look.

If Dualism is one's paradigm, then it is a given that there must be a left hand way around every obstacle.

Otherwise... there are so many paths, in my view of things, left, right, middle, forward, back, in, out, through, up, down, top, bottom, strange, charm - got carried away, but you get the picture... even the lawn may be trod upon to get from here to there. In my opinion, as always.

It always makes me shudder with repulsion.

Shocking imagery is part of many spiritual paths, I've noticed. Christ crucified, the martyrs, reformed demons turned Dharma Protectors, Durga clad in a skirt of severed limbs, the Lord of Death holding up the wheel of Karmic Consequences against a backdrop of hellish landscapes, and so on.

Among other things, maybe a teaching aid, makes the students sit up and pay attention?

Reactions: RJM
If Dualism is one's paradigm, then it is a given that there must be a left hand way around every obstacle.

Otherwise... there are so many paths, in my view of things, left, right, middle, forward, back, in, out, through, up, down, top, bottom, strange, charm - got carried away, but you get the picture... even the lawn may be trod upon to get from here to there. In my opinion, as always.
I only recognize two Paths, maybe three.

Shocking imagery is part of many spiritual paths, I've noticed... Among other things, maybe a teaching aid, makes the students sit up and pay attention?
Brings to mind Zen is full of them. I'm thinking of the story of the Zen Master who put the scriptures on the fire to warm the cooking pot!

Personally, Hermes/Mercury is helpful to me for Jungian Animus development.
I'm assuming tongue in cheek here ... a reaction to some deep-voiced mansplaining ;)

With one dubious and one false assertion right from the get-go, I clicked off.

Brings to mind Zen is full of them. I'm thinking of the story of the Zen Master who put the scriptures on the fire to warm the cooking pot!

I see you are a true bibliophile!

I'm assuming tongue in cheek here ... a reaction to some deep-voiced mansplaining ;)

With one dubious and one false assertion right from the get-go, I clicked off.
Which 'dubious' and 'false' assertion was that?

Shocking imagery is part of many spiritual paths, I've noticed. Christ crucified, the martyrs, reformed demons turned Dharma Protectors, Durga clad in a skirt of severed limbs, the Lord of Death holding up the wheel of Karmic Consequences against a backdrop of hellish landscapes, and so on.

Among other things, maybe a teaching aid, makes the students sit up and pay attention?
The imagery on the (Western) LHP, for the most part, is symbolic and often contains reverence for antinomian mythology such as horned gods, strong goddesses, etc. The anti-Christian imagery is usually from edgelords, immature wannabee Satanists, the confused, and role-players.

Not speaking for @Thomas, may I guess?

upload_2022-1-13_14-51-35.png

upload_2022-1-13_14-51-58.png

The lower one?

OK ... from the start ...

The perennial philosophy shares a 'single universal doctrine' is somewhat inaccurate, allowing a large margin of error. A single source, yes, but doctrines vary.

That the world's RHP religions pursues "the deception of one's conscious awareness" etc. That's a pretty bold statement, and given the tekne and praxis of those religions, one I would have thought was dubious ... One could of course reply that the LHP emphasis on subjectivity is nothing less than self-delusion, a case of pots and kettles.

"Universal Absolute or Supreme Being otherwise known as the Objective Universe" – that's quite wrong. The two are quite distinct. The author clearly, wilfully or in error, misunderstands the great Traditions.

OK ... from the start ...

The perennial philosophy shares a 'single universal doctrine' is somewhat inaccurate, allowing a large margin of error. A single source, yes, but doctrines vary.
Yet they all share the same doctrine, to be absolved in some way into the Absolute/Supreme Being/God etc.

That the world's RHP religions pursues "the deception of one's conscious awareness" etc. That's a pretty bold statement, and given the tekne and praxis of those religions, one I would have thought was dubious ... One could of course reply that the LHP emphasis on subjectivity is nothing less than self-delusion, a case of pots and kettles
It's an obvious statement, IMO. Feel free to opine on your understanding of the LHP.

"Universal Absolute or Supreme Being otherwise known as the Objective Universe" – that's quite wrong. The two are quite distinct. The author clearly, wilfully or in error, misunderstands the great Traditions.
The only faiths I know of that separates an Absolute/Primordial Realm from a Supreme Being that has either created this Absolute Realm or 'is' this Realm, is Gnosticism with their cosmology of the Pleroma and Demiurge ideas. Otherwise, I know of no RHP's that separate God from the Objective Universe.

Yet they all share the same doctrine ...
Nope. At the level of The Absdolute. we're beyond doctrines.

to be absolved in some way into the Absolute/Supreme Being/God etc.
Well I'd say 'absolved' is the wrong term here.

Otherwise, I know of no RHP's that separate God from the Objective Universe.
Really? I think they all do.

Pantheism assumes God and the 'objective universe' is one, but then the universe is not merely the material universe as the video defines it. Panentheism asserts the Absolute as immanently is present in, to, with and through the material cosmos, but is nevertheless Itself utterly transcendent.

In short, I think the video is an example of a straw-man fallacy.

Nope. At the level of The Absdolute. we're beyond doctrines.

Well I'd say 'absolved' is the wrong term here.

Really? I think they all do.

Pantheism assumes God and the 'objective universe' is one, but then the universe is not merely the material universe as the video defines it. Panentheism asserts the Absolute as immanently is present in, to, with and through the material cosmos, but is nevertheless Itself utterly transcendent.

In short, I think the video is an example of a straw-man fallacy.
I'd like to say that, my intention of the LHP Subforum is not to discuss/debate what the RHP is or is not, but what the LHP is and is not. I didn't post the video, maybe these questions should be directed at the member who did.

OK. You asked ...

Feel free to opine on your understanding of the LHP.
For me, the path is The Middle Way, in which left and right are held in balance.

In Buddhist terms, too great an emphasis on the RHP leads to an overt asceticism, whilst the LHP is its contrary, sensualism.

In Christianity, much the same. The RHP leads to dogmatism for its own sake, the LHP to heterodoxy for the same reason.

Reactions: RJM
Back