Interfaith prayer...for all?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Including atheists and agnostics!

This thread is about composing something acceptable to all.

I mean what term can a believer use instead of G!d (asking the most conservative folks....who still believe in interfaith)

An atheist prayer?
That sounds interesting
What would the atheist prayer look like, lol?

Our non-existent imaginary parent figure

Which art not in heaven because thou art not, as heaven too art not

Whose non-name therefore may not be hallowed ... or anything else about it, really ... etc

(the mind boggles ...)

Last edited:
How about a formal gesture acknowledging silence? There is room in silence for all sounds, including harmonious and discordant ones. There is capacity to share the silence with God, as appropriate for those who believe.

How about a formal gesture acknowledging silence? There is room in silence for all sounds, including harmonious and discordant ones. There is capacity to share the silence with God, as appropriate for those who believe.
“Does not everything depend on our interpretation of the silence around us?”
― Lawrence Durrell, Justine

I mean what term can a believer use instead of G!d (asking the most conservative folks....who still believe in interfaith)

Another idea: The Serenity Prayer, slightly reworded to use optative / passive voice?

"May I have serenity to accept the things I cannot change..." and so on? Works as a request as well as a statement of intent.

Another idea: The Serenity Prayer, slightly reworded to use optative / passive voice?

"May I have serenity to accept the things I cannot change..." and so on? Works as a request as well as a statement of intent.
That wouldn't work for me . . .

I see the term "Universe" floating around. I'd use life, though. Unless we atheists don't have a life, maybe that's the closest. Prayer would be "keep in mind..." and religion "practice what you preach."

That would work if you replace God for I'm thankful/grateful:

I am grateful I have the serenity to accept the things I can't change....
and I'm thankful that I will not give up on what I think is right even though I think it hopeless.

I like Saint Francis prayer:

I am an instrument of peace
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
May I not so much seek to be consoled as to console.
To be understood, as to understand.
To be loved, as to love.
For it's in giving that we receive.
And it's in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it's in dying that we are born into a fulfilling life.

Last edited:
I had a moment like that with a Sikh ... we were discussing our experience of the proximity of it ... in the end we just sat in silence, in a shared, common space.

´well done me. I will be just as righteous tomorrow.´

Should cover you for any eventuality.

Reactions: RJM
´well done me. I will be just as righteous tomorrow.´

Should cover you for any eventuality.
face-with-hand-over-mouth-facebook.png

Back