Interfaith prayer...for all?

Totally identifying the issue with creating an interfaith prayer and forum... "if it honors all....I can't do it!"
Sorry @wil

I have taken the liberty of moving the pages of off-topic comments from this thread, to a new thread In the Abrahamic Forums
Hopefully we all understand, and can continue the discussion over on the new thread?

Totally identifying the issue with creating an interfaith prayer and forum... "if it honors all....I can't do it!"
I think, too, that common prayer actually only makes sense for groups that have some common understanding, and who want to share prayer. If the prayer is directed to God, it should mean something to each of them to pray to God, and be also acceptable the entire community involved.Orthodox Muslim would hardly share prayer with an other religion, at the limit with Jews or Christians if specific formulas are left out.

We may share and express our common wishes together not necessarily in prayer; this could include people with all kinds of belief or disbelief.

It is sad (to me) that people who gather in am interfaith group.like this can't find anything in common.

I find that telling.
I wonder if it's really not finding anything in common per se, but more about it not being obvious what the commonality would be in terms of a prayer. It may take work to identify the commonality. The view of God, whether there is a God, and how we ought to relate to God or the matters of ultimate concern so to speak... that's where the differences lie, right? No surprise there's not an easily arrived at form of prayer.

I wonder if it's really not finding anything in common per se, but more about it not being obvious what the commonality would be in terms of a prayer. It may take work to identify the commonality. The view of God, whether there is a God, and how we ought to relate to God or the matters of ultimate concern so to speak... that's where the differences lie, right? No surprise there's not an easily arrived at form of prayer.
Quoting myself here:

But this very thing is EXACTLY why I think secular society is good, necessary, essential, for any semblance of freedom and peace.
And why I think the grumblings and resentments about secularism are SO off base and SO misguided.

I would start with acknowledging individuals cultures and beliefs.. that everyone is deserving of respect love and kindness. Being thankful for what each person contributes and what they bring to the table.

OK, let's blow into another conundrum.

A perfect reason for my desire of an interfaith prayer came up.

Someone has a loved one fighting health issues.

Me saying, I'll pray for you...is a joke for me...and a joke for anyone who knows me.

Does any believer really want a nonbeliever to pray a less than truthful prayer?

Praying in Jesus name or to a G!d I don't believe in ....does lip service by an atheist mean anything to believers or your G!d?

I would so rather say an affirmative prayer for folks that I actually believe.

Flip side...and this occurred repeatedly when I was in the hospital...from well meaning friends, doctors, nurses and hospital staff...

When someone outwardly says 'I'll pray for you' or makes gang signs, looks or points up, mentions Jesus or Allah or G!d to look out for me. It physically turns my stomach, it instantly makes my attitude and outlook worse as a nonbelievers listening to folks invoke a supernatural being.

That being said outside of interfaith I imagine died in the wool Christian bible thumpers may have similar issues if someone prays to Allah, or lights incense and chants, or invokes something else contrary to their beliefs on their behalf.

I would love to be able to say some sort of prayer for them that did not disrupt their healing...and not be a hypocritical collection of words on my part.

Another piece of the puzzle for you to chew on about the weird workings of wils mind...if a doc or nurse before surgery or a procedure or after a trying event, if I see or hear them pray FOR THEMSELVES to get thru this, to perform successfully...I got no issues with that...do whatever ritual, prayer, breathing technique you require to get your mind clear and nerves focused to do your job...I welcome that.

@wil I just want to say how much this hurts me. Prayer to me is the only weapon or tool I have at my immediate disposal to help someone or help their situation. If I believe that my prayer brings God's direct attention to someone or their situation how does that cause harm to an unbeliever? That is me showing that I care enough to do the only thing possible to help. By me telling someone that I'm praying for them should be the ultimate sign that I care.

How absolutely horrifying to know that I'm making someone feel the urge to vomit.

• Love
Reactions: RJM
OK, let's blow into another conundrum.

A perfect reason for my desire of an interfaith prayer came up.

Someone has a loved one fighting health issues.

Me saying, I'll pray for you...is a joke for me...and a joke for anyone who knows me.
Does any believer really want a nonbeliever to pray a less than truthful prayer? Praying in Jesus name or to a G!d I don't believe in ....does lip service by an atheist mean anything to believers or your G!d? I would so rather say an affirmative prayer for folks that I actually believe.
Yes, I, and probably no-one would demand or appreciate a prayer that doesn't match your belief.
Flip side...and this occurred repeatedly when I was in the hospital...from well meaning friends, doctors, nurses and hospital staff...

When someone outwardly says 'I'll pray for you' or makes gang signs, looks or points up, mentions Jesus or Allah or G!d to look out for me. It physically turns my stomach, it instantly makes my attitude and outlook worse as a nonbelievers listening to folks invoke a supernatural being...
I would rather appreciate it as a sign if someone with a different belief prayed for me. A Buddhist friend did that. It's ok for me as long as I don't feel urged to join and participate. I feel also that I have limits, e.g. I would not appreciate someone to call Shaitan to help me or pendule over me.

I shall consider your post and at least not pray in presence of someone who doesn't believe in God.
But I think I could pray for a Christian or a Jew, as they pray to God,too.

I shall consider your post and at least not pray in presence of someone who doesn't believe in God.
But I think I could pray for a Christian or a Jew, as they pray to God,too.

I have a very dear Indian friend that tells me she prays to her gods for me. I hug her tell her I love her and thank her because I know it's out of love. I tell her that pray for her and she does the same.

I'm just upset with the intolerance of the supposed tolerant people.

Praying in Jesus name or to a G!d I don't believe in ....does lip service by an atheist mean anything to believers or your G!d?
Additionally, that would be heavily unacceptable for Jews, to pray in Jesus' name to a god they do believe in, as Jesus doesn't figure in it.

Another piece of the puzzle for you to chew on about the weird workings of wils mind...if a doc or nurse before surgery or a procedure or after a trying event, if I see or hear them pray FOR THEMSELVES to get thru this, to perform successfully...I got no issues with that...do whatever ritual, prayer, breathing technique you require to get your mind clear and nerves focused to do your job...I welcome that.
😍
😍 😍 😍😍

@wil I just want to say how much this hurts me. Prayer to me is the only weapon or tool I have at my immediate disposal to help someone or help their situation. If I believe that my prayer brings God's direct attention to someone or their situation how does that cause harm to an unbeliever? That is me showing that I care enough to do the only thing possible to help. By me telling someone that I'm praying for them should be the ultimate sign that I care.

How absolutely horrifying to know that I'm making someone feel the urge to vomit.
Would you have similar feelings if someone did a pagan or voudou healing ritual for your sake, or prayed to a nature god or an idol in your name?
Or do you feel more relaxed about that?
**Oh, editing myself, as I read on I see you addressed that.
But I think you had indicated at an earlier time that praying alongside someone who was praying to another god would feel idolatrous to you?

Would you have similar feelings if someone did a pagan or voudou healing ritual for your sake, or prayed to a nature god or an idol in your name?
Or do you feel more relaxed about that?
**Oh, editing myself, as I read on I see you addressed that.
But I think you had indicated at an earlier time that praying alongside someone who was praying to another god would feel idolatrous to you?
No I did not say that. Might I suggest you reread what I said? Thanks

I have a very dear Indian friend that tells me she prays to her gods for me. I hug her tell her I love her and thank her because I know it's out of love. I tell her that pray for her and she does the same.

I'm just upset with the intolerance of the supposed tolerant people.
I think that's lovely and kind.
I think pretty similarly.

One of the reasons I split from Deism groups was the adamance of many that "no petitionary prayer, else you're not a deist" this even coming from people who were trying to add dogma and authority to Deism even though that is by definition not very deist like either.

However the intolerance or difficulty in feeling comfortable with someone else's religious rituals can come from many sources. Some strong believers in Abrahamic faiths still want to smash others' "idols"
Also, people who are not believers have often have had terrible experiences. People yelling that them when they were little kids and insisting they were horrible sinners and going to hell and getting graphic about "hell" and on and on and on and on and on...
This is what turned my mother against religion. She did not like organized religion whatsoever. I think she was able to tolerate it pretty well when she could see people were gentle and sincere, however, intensity or sanctimony turned her off. And when people have enough trauma or bad experiences, it's too easy to see the bad stuff everywhere.

Do you know this as fact or are you just assuming that? I personally think they wouldnt care
Based on things Jewish friends have expressed to me over the years, supplemented by reading.
Some individuals are very explicit they would consider praying in Jesus' name to be outright idolatrous.

Yeah I'm going to go thru the thread later to verify when I get a chance because it was something said much earlier.
I did not say that. You can read whatever you want I'm not a liar. I said I would not pray an interfaith prayer WITH other people... I never said anything along side of anyone. If you can't understand the difference then that's on you.

Back