Interfaith prayer...for all?

I just want to clarify that Prayer to me is a very sacred and personal thing between me and God the Father. In prayer I am entering the Tabernacle or the throne room of Grace. To pray with someone who is praying to another god or pray to another god is idolatry. What I can do is affirm positivity!
To pray with someone who is praying to another god is idolatry. Post 99 in this thread.
I took that to mean you didn't feel you could pray beside someone who was praying to another god.

Th
To pray with someone who is praying to another god is idolatry. Post 99 in this thread.
I took that to mean you didn't feel you could pray beside someone who was praying to another god.
Is that an apology? Or are you trying to tell me what I think or believe.

I just want to clarify that Prayer to me is a very sacred and personal thing between me and God the Father. In prayer I am entering the Tabernacle or the throne room of Grace. To pray with someone who is praying to another god or pray to another god is idolatry. What I can do is affirm positivity!
Here it is. Post 91 on the thread not 99.
I thought it meant you couldn't pray with someone who believed in another god.
Maybe that isn't what you were trying to conveys.

Who is praying to a different God? Is there not only one?

God answers all prayers and I offer this one to you from the Baha'i Writings, it is to the same God you pray to.

"O Thou kind Lord! Thou hast created all humanity from the same stock. Thou hast decreed that all shall belong to the same household. In Thy Holy Presence they are all Thy servants, and all mankind are sheltered beneath Thy Tabernacle; all have gathered together at Thy Table of Bounty; all are illumined through the light of Thy Providence.

O God! Thou art kind to all, Thou hast provided for all, dost shelter all, conferrest life upon all. Thou hast endowed each and all with talents and faculties, and all are submerged in the Ocean of Thy Mercy.

O Thou kind Lord! Unite all. Let the religions agree and make the nations one, so that they may see each other as one family and the whole earth as one home. May they all live together in perfect harmony.

O God! Raise aloft the banner of the oneness of mankind.

O God! Establish the Most Great Peace.

Cement Thou, O God, the hearts together.

O Thou kind Father, God! Gladden our hearts through the fragrance of Thy love. Brighten our eyes through the Light of Thy Guidance. Delight our ears with the melody of Thy Word, and shelter us all in the Stronghold of Thy Providence.

Thou art the Mighty and Powerful, Thou art the Forgiving and Thou art the One Who overlooketh the shortcomings of all mankind."

Given to us by Abdu’l-Bahá. Baha'u'llah was his Father

Regards Tony

People pray to whom they think they pray to.
That is the division we face, our own perceptions of an unknowable God born out of nature and nurture, and our own concepts of God's Messengers.

To be One with it all is a God given bounty, a bounty we must embrace and be eternally thankful for.

All the best and regards Tony

Here it is. Post 91 on the thread not 99.
I thought it meant you couldn't pray with someone who believed in another god.
Maybe that isn't what you were trying to conveys.
Ok then let me explain.. praying WITH would be having one person praying the prayer and everyone else agreeing and saying Amen.. praying along side of would be each person praying to whichever God they pray to separately. I've done both. Please remember the OP was about coming together to formulate A prayer.

That I will not do because that would mean I'm praying WITH someone to a god that's not mine I'm resentful because I feel like you are trying to trap me into something with this line of questioning. Im getting a real feel of some peoples true colors shining through.

Let me tell you how I really feel. Take your fake interfaith prayer and have fun since it doesn't apply to all beliefs. Ya know? This whole thread was a set up and a nasty one at that.

I feel like you are trying to trap me into something with this line of questioning. Im getting a real feel of some peoples true colors shining through.

Let me tell you how I really feel. Take your fake interfaith prayer and have fun since it doesn't apply to all beliefs. Ya know? This whole thread was a set up and a nasty one at that.
Sounds really personal against others.
I didn't start this thread. I definitely didn't get the impression it was a nasty set up.
You can register that complaint with the individual who started the thread.

I think gratitude works well as a non-denominational prayer, so perhaps we could have:

I'm grateful for the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, for The courage to change the things I can, And for the wisdom to know the difference.

On the other hand that prayer is a bit suspect, involving as it does personality choices, therefore interfering with the flow of reality as it unfolds, incurring Karma etc..
So perhaps we might have the temerity to revise St Francis (not too much):

Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
May I not so much seek to be consoled as to console.
To be understood, as to understand.
To be loved, as to love.
For it's in giving that we receive.
And it's in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it's in dying that we are born into eternal life,
and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to realise the truth of this.

Sounds really personal against others.
I didn't start this thread. I definitely didn't get the impression it was a nasty set up.
You can register that complaint with the individual who started the thread.
You wouldn't and I don't expect you to.

with all due respect. You aren't going to get any answers from me that tickle your ears. My feelings were very much hurt by someone I have respected and all of my posts are going to reflect that here so I'm asking you to stop egging it on intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanks

Reactions: RJM
So what theists are saying is there is no prayer that they can abide without mentioning a diety or supernatural input?
Prayer (Dua), for us, is directed to God. So, I like very much what you suggested, to think it or to speak it together, but it's not really a prayer.

Reactions: wil
I agree 100 % that prayer is between the individual and God, it is indeed a private conversation. Prayer is a bounty for our soul.

In the Baha'i Writings Congregational prayer has been taken away. (There is a couple of exceptions). So in Baha'i Houses of worship, at a set service, prayers are offered from all Faiths, by a selected individual.

I personally, when I choose to go to the church, listen to the congregational prayers, but say it internally with my own heart. It may appear ignorant to those that witness the silence, only because they do not see my heart.

The same with the eating of bread and drinking of wine. I do not participate, as this ritual has been removed in the Baha'i Writings, but I am speaking in my heart of the knowledge of God when they partake of the Bread and I am enraptured in the Love of God, when they drink the wine.

I hope this self reflection, offered in Love, shows how some one who is praying in a different Faith, is not necessarily praying to Idols, nor a different God.

Of course this can be discussed in many ways, and that is the issue with Internet chat rooms, misunderstandings do not have immediately clarification, and the personal contact, so Important to communication, is not a available. Maybe one day this may not be the case. We may be in virtual chat rooms.

Regards Tony

Ok then let me explain.. praying WITH would be having one person praying the prayer and everyone else agreeing and saying Amen.. praying along side of would be each person praying to whichever God they pray to separately. I've done both. Please remember the OP was about coming together to formulate A prayer.

That I will not do because that would mean I'm praying WITH someone to a god that's not mine I'm resentful because I feel like you are trying to trap me into something with this line of questioning. Im getting a real feel of some peoples true colors shining through.

I agree 100 % that prayer is between the individual and God, it is indeed a private conversation. Prayer is a bounty for our soul.

In the Baha'i Writings Congregational prayer has been taken away. (There is a couple of exceptions). So in Baha'i Houses of worship, at a set service, prayers are offered from all Faiths, by a selected individual.

I personally, when I choose to go to the church, listen to the congregational prayers, but say it internally with my own heart. It may appear ignorant to those that witness the silence, only because they do not see my heart.

The same with the eating of bread and drinking of wine. I do not participate, as this ritual has been removed in the Baha'i Writings, but I am speaking in my heart of the knowledge of God when they partake of the Bread and I am enraptured in the Love of God, when they drink the wine.

I hope this self reflection, offered in Love, shows how some one who is praying in a different Faith, is not necessarily praying to Idols, nor a different God.

Of course this can be discussed in many ways, and that is the issue with Internet chat rooms, misunderstandings do not have immediately clarification, and the personal contact, so Important to communication, is not a available. Maybe one day this may not be the case. We may be in virtual chat rooms.

Regards Tony
Hello Tony and "Faithfulservant"

We have a formal prayer, salat, which is congregational, and individual prayer, dua, which is individual. Unlike in Christian sevices, an Imam does not pray dua in front of the congregation.
I actually have difficulties in sharing dua because it is somehow directed to both, God and those who listen. I might not be as upright as if I pray to God Who knows my heart.
But if we were together, and we had some issue we would like to bring before God I could imagine that we could share prayer.

I just want to say how much this hurts me.

If this thread has proved anything we cannot come up with a prayer that everyone HERE...on an interfaith site, can say out loud, together, and agree upon. So it should be no surprise to any of us that when we pray outloud there will potentially ne folks listening who will not be in tune with what is said. And if it sets their mind in a sideways or negative direction...that Prayer may not be helping, may not have the intended result, may have unintended consequences.

Would you rather not know? As i see it this is the value in discussion. Idk if I am alone in this.. I don't know how other nonbelievers react. I have not discussed it much. (But I am likely to run into a few atheists and agnostics, as well as believers while playing board games tonight...believe me, I know anticipate some active discussion!

What I can appreciate is folks just saying they will, or asking if they can. I will tell them, sure thanx, I would prefer you do it silently in your way, and I will in mine.

Yeah, the overt erks me like after every mass shooting in this country "our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the children" apologize for my French but my ass...f'your thoughts and prayers, change the laws, it is obvious our country cannot handle guns as freely as the NRAand 2a supporters think.

Again, this might be just me, I will explore and ask more. I got no issues with what people do silently...it is just the overt outlook that affects me...and mostly only when I was weakened by illness...most of the time I am perfectly capable with biting my tongue, rolling my eyes a little and looking elsewhere.

Along the same lines when folks hear of my trials and survival...."Oh, G!d must have special plans for you"...gad don't put that burden on me! I just wanna live, I ain't on no mission.

OK, let's blow into another conundrum.

A perfect reason for my desire of an interfaith prayer came up.

Someone has a loved one fighting health issues.

Me saying, I'll pray for you...is a joke for me...and a joke for anyone who knows me.

Does any believer really want a nonbeliever to pray a less than truthful prayer?

Praying in Jesus name or to a G!d I don't believe in ....does lip service by an atheist mean anything to believers or your G!d?

I would so rather say an affirmative prayer for folks that I actually believe.

Flip side...and this occurred repeatedly when I was in the hospital...from well meaning friends, doctors, nurses and hospital staff...

When someone outwardly says 'I'll pray for you' or makes gang signs, looks or points up, mentions Jesus or Allah or G!d to look out for me. It physically turns my stomach, it instantly makes my attitude and outlook worse as a nonbelievers listening to folks invoke a supernatural being.

That being said outside of interfaith I imagine died in the wool Christian bible thumpers may have similar issues if someone prays to Allah, or lights incense and chants, or invokes something else contrary to their beliefs on their behalf.

I would love to be able to say some sort of prayer for them that did not disrupt their healing...and not be a hypocritical collection of words on my part.

Another piece of the puzzle for you to chew on about the weird workings of wils mind...if a doc or nurse before surgery or a procedure or after a trying event, if I see or hear them pray FOR THEMSELVES to get thru this, to perform successfully...I got no issues with that...do whatever ritual, prayer, breathing technique you require to get your mind clear and nerves focused to do your job...I welcome that.
When my entire family came down with Covid, many people sent up prayers. An atheist friend dropped off homemade chicken soup. I appreciated both. My daughter (who has special needs) was in the hospital, an atheist friend dropped off snacks, reading material, hand sanitizer, toiletries, etc. for my wife while she was with our daughter. I never cared about what a person's religious beliefs were as a friend. I just needed a friend.

Note: I'm not saying that my religious friends did nothing aside from prayers. They have definitely helped my family out in tough situations. But some offered up prayers and that was it. I'll take homemade chicken soup any day.

Everyone that believes in other G!ds...lol...you may not be aware Tony, but the whole world is not abrahamic.
Then I see that is not another God, but a God of one's own imagination. If any one thinks they know God, then that knowledge is not of God, but of the past Manifestations.

The world is in an age of great change, where the Oneness of God and the oneness of humanity is becoming a realisation across all nations and all peoples.

It is the dawn of a new day, a great day indeed.

Regards Tony

Back