World events are preparing us for peace.

Is Peace now possible

• Total voters
Badger, Dattatreya is a revered sage in Hindu mythology, and many in reverence, consider him to be a God, just as VedaVyasa, Sankara or Ramana Maharshi are also considered avataras of Gods. Dattatreya is suppose to be the author of Avadhuta Gita, or the "Song of the free". That is a very important book for us on the principles of Advaita Vedanta, one of the sub-schools of Hindu philosophy. Several Hindu monastic and yoga traditions are linked to Dattatreya (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dattatreya#Dattatreya_traditions). He is not around to do what you mention in your post.

If someone is claiming to have a command from "Shri Satya Sai" to "propagate the true spiritual knowledge," is there any way of finding out if that is true or not?

I will ask for proof of 'Satya Sai' having any 'divinity' as well as the claimed mission of that person.
Just as I ask Bahais for proof of existence of God and the claimed mission of Bahaollah.
Same for Christians and Muslims.
My measure will not differ. If they cannot provide the proof, then it is a farce.

If they cannot provide the proof, then it is a farce..
That is your opinion..
Clearly, other people think they have some valid reason for belief..
..such as evidence that you refuse, for example.

Anybody can do that. Whatever somebody says, you refute it, as being unacceptable evidence.
Each to their own. :)

لَكُمْ دِينُكُمْ وَلِيَ دِينِ​
Yeah, to each his own, 'Lakum deenukum wa liya deen'.

I like it that people are now looking for how humanity is bound together and need to find common goals.

Regards Tony

Badger, Dattatreya is a revered sage in Hindu mythology, and many in reverence, consider him to be a God, just as VedaVyasa, Sankara or Ramana Maharshi are also considered avataras of Gods. Dattatreya is suppose to be the author of Avadhuta Gita, or the "Song of the free". That is a very important book for us on the principles of Advaita Vedanta, one of the sub-schools of Hindu philosophy. Several Hindu monastic and yoga traditions are linked to Dattatreya (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dattatreya#Dattatreya_traditions). He is not around to do what you mention in your post.

220px-Ravi_Varma-Dattatreya.jpg
Sage Dattatreya is always depicted with his dogs.
Thank you for this information, Aup. I won't forget this (demi?) God's name.

That in Hinduism is a person's choice if he/she will consider Dattatreya a great sage or God. :)
Avadhoot Gita is a beautiful book.

"Avadhūta is a Sanskrit term from the root 'to shake' (see V. S. Apte and Monier-Williams) that, among its many uses, in some Indian religions indicates a type of mystic or saint who is beyond ego-consciousness, duality and common worldly concerns and acts without consideration for standard social etiquette." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta

"There is neither existence nor non-existence, all is Atman. Shake off all ideas of relativity; shake off all superstitions; let caste and birth and Devas and all else vanish. Why talk of being and becoming? Give up talking of dualism and Advaitism! When were you two, that you talk of two or one? The universe is this Holy One and He alone. Talk not of Yoga to make you pure; you are pure by your very nature. None can teach you." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta_Gita

Last edited:
That in Hinduism is a person's choice if he/she will consider Dattatreya a great sage or God. :)
I'm going to search for that on ebay..... Avadhoot Gita

"Avadhūta is a Sanskrit term from the root 'to shake' (see V. S. Apte and Monier-Williams) that, among its many uses, in some Indian religions indicates a type of mystic or saint who is beyond ego-consciousness, duality and common worldly concerns and acts without consideration for standard social etiquette."
Ah!.... having none of those values myself, but I shook off 'standard social etiquette' a long time ago.

"There is neither existence nor non-existence, all is Atman. Shake off all ideas of relativity; shake off all superstitions; let caste and birth and Devas and all else vanish. Why talk of being and becoming? Give up talking of dualism and Advaitism! When were you two, that you talk of two or one? The universe is this Holy One and He alone. Talk not of Yoga to make you pure; you are pure by your very nature. None can teach you."
And that is the foundation of everything that I believe in...
This:- The universe is this Holy One and He alone..... is the basis of my kind of Deism, only I think of it as Mother-Nature, and it probably extends far beyond this universe...truly magnificent.

Thank you. When I leave here I will go looking for 'Avadhoot Gita'.

"Avadhūta is a Sanskrit term from the root 'to shake' (see V. S. Apte and Monier-Williams) that, among its many uses, in some Indian religions indicates a type of mystic or saint who is beyond ego-consciousness, duality and common worldly concerns and acts without consideration for standard social etiquette." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta

"There is neither existence nor non-existence, all is Atman. Shake off all ideas of relativity; shake off all superstitions; let caste and birth and Devas and all else vanish. Why talk of being and becoming? Give up talking of dualism and Advaitism! When were you two, that you talk of two or one? The universe is this Holy One and He alone. Talk not of Yoga to make you pure; you are pure by your very nature. None can teach you." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avadhuta_Gita

I've purchased a copy, Aup.

The Avadhoot Gita of Dattatraya Song of the Unborn
Author: Seegla Brecher

Reactions: RJM
Now, all of you (who have the book or have downloaded the PDF), after going through it, kindly give me your impressions. I have not read it in detail, because I already have my answers. :)

Reactions: RJM

This Oneness is what will foster out Unity and eventually bring the Most Great Peace.

It is what all the Messengers have showed us, and yes it can not be taught, as one must embrace "this Holy One and He alone" as a gift. A gift of exploring our innermost selves.

“O ye discerning ones of the people! Verily the words which have descended from the heaven of the will of God are the source of unity and harmony for the world. Close your eyes to racial difierences and welcome all with the Light of Oneness. Be the cause of the comfort and promotion of humanity. This handful of dust, the world, is one home: let it be in unity. Forsake pride, it is a cause of discord. Follow that which tends to harmony. Consort with all the people with love and fragrance. Fellowship is the cause of unity, and unity is the source of order in the world. Blessed are they who are kind and serve with love." Abdul'baha

Regards Tony

The universe is this Holy One and He alone. Talk not of Yoga to make you pure; you are pure by your very nature. None can teach you."
Water is never defiled. It rises released and renewed from the heavy earth, and then comes down again as pure, clean rain ...

Water is never defiled. It rises released and renewed from the heavy earth, and then comes down again as pure, clean rain ...

I see that a little differently as the rain (Word of God) comes from the Heavens and falls upon the Earth (Mankind) it falls on all areas pure clean places and the most dirty places and mixes with the earth (making it less clear) and enters the rivers, all this giving life.

The rivers feed into the Ocean of all God's Words. Then as the water evaporataes it all rises to the heavens and the process continues.

Regards Tony

Now, all of you (who have the book or have downloaded the PDF), after going through it, kindly give me your impressions. I have not read it in detail, because I already have my answers. :)
I wish it was not presented with translator comments intermixed with text. I would prefer the comments at the end, or at the bottom of the page. The reader isn't given time to think about the passage before the translator intervenes...

It often happens with the Tao te Ching and other similar texts too. Very annoying, imo ;)

Back