Mental Illness & Religion

LOL!
I think I viewed the meaning of that sentence differently than you viewed it. I meant it as:
If you haven't actually experienced something but have heard about it, don't automatically dismiss it

You probably viewed it as:
Don't dismiss what you have experienced

Am I right? The air is cleared! A mere issue of semantics!
Reply removed at user's own request

Last edited by a moderator:
No you are not right, in fact the reworded sentence makes it even more clear that you are assuming what I have and have not experienced. In any case, this is going nowhere and should be dropped.
As you wish....

epilepsy and even multiple personality disorder
Epilepsy is shown in book of Matthew, Mark, and Luke from the bible to be from demonic oppression and influence. That being said i believe not every case is the same or has the same origins. In any event whether from demons or from chemical imbalance or emotional trauma it can be controlled and subjugated. Through determination and godly influence and of course medication.

A lot of things are put in the category of demonic influence when people do not know the answer the devil made me do it is popular.

From before the Bible till the unforeseeable future, till I see blame as remaining on the top church

We now have more research into mental illness and science loves to define much of the experiences psychotics and schizophrenics have as 'delusions'. Does anyone think that the ideas of god and spirit could have been birthed by the experiences among our ancestors where they had respected elders going through what would now be defined as mental illness?

In fact, if i recall correctly, the earliest prophets were known as 'mad' prophets! Early examples of illnesses like epilepsy and even multiple personality disorder were seen as the patient being possessed by evil spirits. As one who has experienced both epilepsy and MPD, I can from personal knowledge say that this is exactly what it feels like!
I do not think many of our oldest shamans had any psychological problems. Most wanted the juiciest and the largest portion of the kill and created stories which made them get it. Later on, we got the philosopher shamans and priests who had the welfare of their followers in their mind.

In any event whether from demons or from chemical imbalance or emotional trauma it can be controlled and subjugated. Through determination and godly influence and of course medication.
There are also organic and developmental causes. And not all people with the condition can be seizure-free, no matter how good the medication or how well-intentioned the prayers.

Back