Woke Christianity

it seems the disciples and most every christian for 2000 years has been waiting and assured this is the case.

We just evidentlly have different literal definitions of imminent. It sure aint like waiting for a bus.

ADJECTIVE
about to happen:
"they were in imminent danger of being swept away"
SIMILAR:
impending
at hand
close
near
approaching
coming
forthcoming
on the way
in store
in the offing
in the pipeline
on the horizon
in the air
brewing
looming
threatening
menacing
expected
anticipated
fast approaching
about to happen
upon us

it seems the disciples and most every christian for 2000 years has been waiting and assured this is the case.

We just evidentlly have different literal definitions of imminent. It sure aint like waiting for a bus.
As believers, we are told to expect His return shortly and yes for the past 2000 years. It has been two millennia for us.. but 2 days to God

2 Peter 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

and interestingly.. the following scripture

Hosea 6 . "Come, let us return to the LORD. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence.

I never said women are irrational..
OK, but that's all part of the patriarchal stereotype. That women are 'more emotional' is one of the reasons that decision-making should be left to the men. The thinking implies men are more level-headed and women are emotional beings and thus not so able to be logical, rational, etc. Hence the 'don't you worry your pretty little head' and other such condescensions.

I can look at my own marriage and see that I am more rational than my husband mostly.
There you go then, on your own evidence.

I don't believe that being led by emotions is a negative thing.
Nor do I.

It's all about balance. I don't think men or women are 'more' anything in the spiritual/mental domains.

There's a book called Men are from Mars women from Venus.. something like that . I remember reading it and thinking damnnn that's so true!
Umm ... I would now hazard its binary assumptions are rather questionable ...

It's strange to me how claiming the woman as soft and emotional triggers people.. like how we are less than because of it. That's a strength imo.
Well who decided women are 'soft' and 'emotional' in the first place?

I also don't have issues that the world is patriarchal. God did create Adam first.
Hmmm ... did God, though? Not according to Genesis 1.

When God chose to send His son to the world, who did He tell? A woman.
When Jesus resurrected, who was the first to know, and who was instructed to tell the others? A woman.

I think Jesus was quite happy with women as well as men ... they played more significant roles in His ministry than they have been allowed to subsequently.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.

OK, but that's all part of the patriarchal stereotype. That women are 'more emotional' is one of the reasons that decision-making should be left to the men. The thinking implies men are more level-headed and women are emotional beings and thus not so able to be logical, rational, etc. Hence the 'don't you worry your pretty little head' and other such condescensions.

There you go then, on your own evidence.

Nor do I.

It's all about balance. I don't think men or women are 'more' anything in the spiritual/mental domains.

Umm ... I would now hazard its binary assumptions are rather questionable ...

Well who decided women are 'soft' and 'emotional' in the first place?

Hmmm ... did God, though? Not according to Genesis 1.

When God chose to send His son to the world, who did He tell? A woman.
When Jesus resurrected, who was the first to know, and who was instructed to tell the others? A woman.

I think Jesus was quite happy with women as well as men ... they played more significant roles in His ministry than they have been allowed to subsequently.

Sorry, but that's the way I see it.
I feel like you are making assumptions as to my thought on the matter.

I said that it's out of balance there needs to be respect and we need to honor each other as equals. Not lesser than.

I agree that Jesus told a woman to spread the news.. the question is WHY? Because we need to consider who was at the tomb and why were they there? Soft and emotional is my guess why could she be trusted to share the news because that's what women do.. they foster relationships. I agree that God is very happy with women.. we exemplify that part of God that craves and creates relationships. Adam was formed from dust and Eve from the rib of Adam.

Sorry I'm not very good at editing through all the replies. I feel like we aren't disagreeing on anything except you think my take on a woman's emotions are somehow negative. If this world was in balance as God intended there wouldn't be this idea that we are less than men. It's not God's creation that made it so.. it is mans ego.

I said that it's out of balance there needs to be respect and we need to honor each other as equals. Not lesser than..
I agree with you..
A man is not equal to a woman in all respects .. it's like saying that an apple is equal to an orange,
because they are both fruit.
..when it comes to a husband and wife, both parties should respect each other.
We expect G-d to be Merciful to us, and we should show mercy to each other.

However, when it comes to decisions, a husband should normally have the last say..
..but not because a woman is not capable of making them .. but because it is what G-d ordained.
[as in Scripture/Bible]

Two leaders often lead to argument and strife .. not what a marriage needs.
..but again, if a man does not listen to his wife, he might lose her ..we need to have mercy.

I am well aware of why Muslims think Jesus is returning.
He will return as the promised Messiah, to rid the world of evil.
Where, in the Quran, does it say so?

Do you mean this hadith?
https://sunnah.com/bukhari:2476

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "The Hour will not be established until the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you as a just ruler, he will break the cross, kill the pigs, and abolish the Jizya tax. Money will be in abundance so that nobody will accept it (as charitable gifts).

This killing, breaking Jesus?
Or this one:

Mercy always has a youthful face. Because a merciful heart is motivated to move beyond its comfort zone. A merciful heart can go out and meet others; it is ready to embrace everyone . It knows the meaning of tenderness and compassion (Pope Francis)

1 Corinthians 2:13-16
Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians 2:13-16&version=KJV

1 Corinthians 3:18-21
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;
And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+3:18-23&version=KJV

Below is the complete Quran Jesus, in his own words: https://www.interfaith.org/community/threads/19889/

It doesn't sound at all like the Jesus of the New Testament, imo
I know which Jesus I choose to believe and follow ...

Last edited:
..I know which Jesus I choose to believe and follow ...
I was making a comment on the convesation between @Faithfulservant and @Thomas ,
but OK, you are commenting on my comment. :D

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

- 1 Corinthians 11 -

As I say .. apples and oranges .. a man is not equal to a woman in every respect.
I'm surprised at you veering towards political correctness .. too "woke" for me.;)

I was making a comment on the convesation between @Faithfulservant and @Thomas ,
but OK, you are commenting on my comment. :D

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

- 1 Corinthians 11 -

As I say .. apples and oranges .. a man is not equal to a woman in every respect.
I'm surprised at you veering towards political correctness .. too "woke" for me.;)
Yes. But you reject all of Paul, all of John, the death on the cross and the resurrection -- the incarnation too?

If Jesus has "already saved us" by dying etc. , then why is there a need to return?
Assuming that this question is being posted in good faith in order to learn how Christians perceive it, I hope I will be excused for posting the whole relevant passage from the Book of Isaiah here in the Christian section on Holy Saturday?

Those who dispute the passage as 'corrupted' should be reminded that the Book of Isiah was found amongst the Qumran Dead Sea Scrolls in the identical wording that it appears in modern texts.

Also for those who argue that the passage to refer to Muhammad (pbuh) rather than Jesus, I believe that reading the full passage posted here, substituting the word Muhammad for he -- should take care of that argument?

See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
Just as there were many who were appalled at him—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
so he will sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.

For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.
Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.

He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.”

—Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Christ.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like you are making assumptions as to my thought on the matter.
I hope not ... rather I was just making comment on a common gender stereotype.

The idea that women are emotional, men are ... is a cultural myth. I commented because I think the idea is actually part of the cultural problems we currently undergo, not the solution.

My concern is that we should preserve against unconsciously enforcing cultural myths that are themselves intrinsically linked to the problems we perceive.

If women are seen as more emotionally inclined, it's because men have been schooled to suppress their own feelings.

I feel like we aren't disagreeing on anything except you think my take on a woman's emotions are somehow negative.
Not as negative, just the idea of women as any more or less emotional than men as negative.

If this world was in balance as God intended there wouldn't be this idea that we are less than men. It's not God's creation that made it so.. it is mans ego.
Exactly, and the 'women are emotional' I regard as evidence of it.

I am suspicious I admit. why would you respond as you did to my mention of the 66 books of the bible? I thought I detected some passive aggression in one or two of your posts so my defenses are up.

I really don't read much extra biblical things these days. I used to be an avid reader and inhaled many a fantasy or science fiction book...oh and historical romances * le sigh* but psalms says He will give us the desires of our heart... literally He gave me the desire of my heart.. to know Him more personally and this happened naturally as I grew in my walk with Him.
I'm not super aggressive. Not even in the passive way.
As far as the number of books in the bible -- if someone knows information in addition to what you are saying why would they not provide it?

I'm not super aggressive. Not even in the passive way.
As far as the number of books in the bible -- if someone knows information in addition to what you are saying why would they not provide it?
Ok. It's hard to relay emotion via text so I get it. It was the jk + emoji to you jumping on me about a post I directed at Wil. I also just thought it was worth questioning your motive behind mentioning the extra books which is common knowledge especially in interfaith communities.

the extra books which is common knowledge especially in interfaith communities.
We have a complete library of New Testament Apocrypha on our homepage:

Old Testament Apocrypha books are accessible without difficulty
-- including the Old Testament documents in the Catholic Bible canon, but missing from Protestant Bibles, such as the King James Bible

Last edited:
My sorrow is the false gospel that will lead people away from Jesus. A gospel denying the deity of Christ. I am sorrowful that many will be met by Jesus and He will tell them begone I never knew you.

Jesus is not like that. He is very compassionate. Do you think He has so little compassion that He will say begone I never knew you to a faithful servant or even to someone who just likes Him ?

Jesus is not like that. He is very compassionate. Do you think He has so little compassion that He will say begone I never knew you to a faithful servant or even to someone who just likes Him ?
The phrase is taken from Matthew 7.

We have a complete library of New Testament Apocrypha on our homepage:

Old Testament Apocrypha books are accessible without difficulty
-- including the Old Testament documents in the Catholic Bible canon, but missing from Protestant Bibles, such as the King James Bible
Nice.

The phrase is taken from Matthew 7.
Yes..

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

- Matthew 7 -

No sincere person will be rejected .. only the hypocrites that profess faith, but do unto others,
which they do not like for themselves.

Reactions: RJM
Back