The Myth of Progress

Does anything excite you about AI?
Oh absolutely -- the sort of stuff you talk about in your post #152 to me is quite astounding, and I had no idea.

But at the same time, I get a shiver from it too ... Brrr ...

Talk about programming :rolleyes:

Also I see it is not a spiritually healthy dream.

Regards Tony
Really? One needs to be oppressed? One needs to slave and toil for others to be spiritually healthy?

I like pipe dreams... in my lifetime the number of pipe dreams that have come to reality by other people pursuing concepts that other folks laugh at absolutely makes me want people to laugh at me.

Farm labor issues are being eliminated by machines as we speak. Yall rant and toil, I will gladly count my blessings appreciate addled brain and dream.

Really? One needs to be oppressed? One needs to slave and toil for others to be spiritually healthy?
Yes I see really. Work is beneficial to our health, it is service to our community and work is worship. So for a person who wishes "to pursue their dreams for 40+hours per week, 50 weeks a year instead of their bosses", is, in most cases, most only motivated by self.

There would be beneficial pursuits, that is if our interests were in helping others, but if we wanted to spend all day fishing or playing golf, etc, etc, that is only self serving.

I used to do both by the way, until I realised that it was very selfish to do so. (These can be used for good, as work, if the aim is to support family and help others) I guess we could get robots to play the golf and do the fishing as well!

Regards Tony

Talk about programming :rolleyes:
It is all about picking up the cross RJM.

I guess one could get the robot to do that while they went out golfing, fishing, ten pin bowling, travelling the world, but wait, where does all that income come from?

Regards Tony

Lol , I love that you think there will be know work if everyone just follows their dreams.

There are already and will be folks spending their days picking up.trash on trails and roadways.

There are already and will be programmers writing better code for things they dream up.

There are already and will be inventors and artists of all varieties without a care for where the next meal comes from or where they will sleep that night.

There will be folks training their lives to leave on the next space exploration mission.

Your vision of needing a carrot to enslave the people however...will be lost. The arguments of what if and fear mongering will be gone foreverm

Lol , I love that you think there will be know work if everyone just follows their dreams.

There are already and will be folks spending their days picking up.trash on trails and roadways.

There are already and will be programmers writing better code for things they dream up.

There are already and will be inventors and artists of all varieties without a care for where the next meal comes from or where they will sleep that night.

There will be folks training their lives to leave on the next space exploration mission.

Your vision of needing a carrot to enslave the people however...will be lost. The arguments of what if and fear mongering will be gone foreverm
I see you have a vision of the world that is not going ro happen, it is part of an old world order and a New world Order will require submission unto common laws and goals.

No one should rest easy if even one person is suffering any basic needs that are not available to them.

This attitude of a self serving life, who gives a hoot about all that struggle, has crept into the recent generations, but that mind is far from what creates a productive and workable society.

Regards Tony

I love how you think folks caring about the environment, art, inventions and improving the future for all is
This attitude of a self serving life, who gives a hoot about all that struggle
I live in community strive communally on OUR goals and agenda, work with a collective to create our future rather than tow the line building for dollars to spend more dollars.on things that are built.

Time to transcend old thinking...

I love how you think folks caring about the environment, art, inventions and improving the future for all is
I live in community strive communally on OUR goals and agenda, work with a collective to create our future rather than tow the line building for dollars to spend more dollars.on things that are built.
Well done for all the good you do.

Regards Tony

The majority of human beings on planet Earth are just busy with day-to-day survival, trying to make ends meet, tolerating abuse on many levels, having to bend as not to break, and trying to do a little good where they can, imo

Especially women

What does @davidsheep88 think?

Last edited:
The majority of human beings on planet Earth are just busy with day-to-day survival, trying to make ends meet, tolerating abuse on many levels, having to bend as not to break, and trying to do a little good where they can, imo

Especially women

What does @davidsheep88 think?
This is true....but more of then have now more.leisure time and more travel than ever before due to progress. Women in industrialized nations are moving toward equality, and with.the advent of washers and dryers, dishwashers, and other kitchen aids, technology, machines, robots are lightening the load of work on us all.

This is true....but more of then have now more.leisure time and more travel than ever before due to progress. Women in industrialized nations are moving toward equality, and with.the advent of washers and dryers, dishwashers, and other kitchen aids, technology, machines, robots are lightening the load of work on us all.
Like everything, there must be a balance.

What about our health .. do you think that "post-industrial" nations have a good record?
( I refer to the nations that used to be the world's leading manufacturers)

I remember when working-class men were strong, and lifted heavy loads daily.
The bus/goods drivers did not have power-steering etc.

What are we here for? What really makes us happy?
Is "going to the gym" a long-term career? :)

We can't ALL earn our living as sportspersons.
..and furthermore, there is trouble between the sexes .. which means a dwindling population.

Some people will welcome that .. until they feel "the pinch".

What are we here for? What really makes us happy?
Studies have shown doing things for others is what makes us happy. Working toward group goals and achievements.

We are here to raise each other up.

“Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for – in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.”
— Ellen DeGeneres

Choices....

Of course not all machines are progress.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_095322_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_095322_Facebook.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 28
Especially women
Until 1974 in the USA women were unable to open a bank account or acquire a line of credit without a man co-signing.
The financial services industry was led by (usually white) men. So eight women came together to turn everything around by opening their own Women's Bank.
Carol Green, Judi Wagner, LaRae Orullian, Gail Schoettler, Wendy Davis, Joy Burns, Beverly Martinez, and Edna Mosely founded the bank's board by each pitching in $1,000.
On 14 July 1978 The Women's Bank opened for business. People stood in line down the street in downtown Denver to deposit their money.
The first day's deposits exceeded $1 million.
#WomensHistoryMonth
Photo and more info https://history.denverlibrary.org/news/womens-bank

Until 1974 in the USA women were unable to open a bank account or acquire a line of credit without a man co-signing.

610 CE: Islam is founded in Arabia in the 7th century, and women are given the right to inherit estates and own property. As a result, it’s not uncommon for women to be professionals and property owners.

:)

Back