minutes to live

mynameisstephen

Reaction score
IF someone came running up to you on the street and said " I have just been stabbed, I am dying , I am scared, I dont whats on the other side"

While you were waiting for the emergency services how would you share the Gospel with this person who has only minutes to live?

mynameisstephen said:
IF someone came running up to you on the street and said " I have just been stabbed, I am dying , I am scared, I dont whats on the other side"

While you were waiting for the emergency services how would you share the Gospel with this person who has only minutes to live?
I know you've posted this on the Christianity board, but I can't help but ask whether this wouldn't be a disrespectful thing?

Let's turn the tables - if you'd been stabbed overseas, would you want your last moments spent with a Muslim trying to convert you?

Would you rather be made as comfortable as possible, rather than have someone project their own ideas onto you?

very good question Stephen and I would have to say yes I would share them. And I hope someone would care enough to share them with me during my last moments even though I all ready know them and have no doubts where I will end up.:)

Hi Brian.. Thats an unfair question because Christians truly believe what the bible teaches. We look at unsaved people and believe they need Jesus Christ for their salvation. We dont look at a dying person just facing the last minutes of their life we look at a dying person facing the last minutes of their life without the promise of waking up in Heaven in the minutes after. I believe that if I didnt share the gospel with a dying man I would be one of those lukewarm Christians that Jesus says He will spew from His mouth. It is also said in the bible that his blood would be on my hands and I would not want to face that in judgement. We are supposed to be bold in the gospel and not to be afraid of making someone uncomfortable.. I have been led by the Spirit to witness to people in uncomfortable situations and was mocked or told that they werent interested then much later come to find out that they accepted Christ. This has happened on numerous occasions where I have come to not feel rejected when Im not received.. I put it in Gods hands since in the long run He is the one that makes the choice.

Stephen I appreciate this wonderful question you posed to the board and to be perfectly honest I have never thought about HOW I would share the good news of Jesus Christ in just a few minutes. First off I would pray and ask that The Spirit speak through me because He is a far better speaker than I am on short notice. I believe I would then tell the person that God loved that person so much that He gave us Son Jesus Christ as a sacrifice for our sins so that we could spend eternity with Him. I would tell that man that none of us are deserving of this gift but He loved us THAT much.. I would tell that man that when He left his body that it is promised in the bible that he would be present with the Lord. I would quote John 3:16 and John 14:6 then I would tell him that he didnt need to be afraid that he was not alone and would never be alone and I would ask him if he was ready to accept Jesus as his savior..Praying that he would say yes I would lead him through the sinners prayer.. If he did not accept it I would pray that God forgive him for he knows not what he does.

First of all, I'd be more concerned with performing immediate First aid in order to keep him on this side. Besides direct compression elevating the damaged area above the heart, treating for shock and if need be, a tourniquet, I'd keep him focused here by maybe asking what he wanted to know. Based on his response, I might be able to tell him what I believe, but that truly would not be my priority at the moment. And I certainly would not expect an immediate conversion confession.

The question as presented is a loaded one. Anyone who would sit there and talk about the Good News, while someone was bleeding to death, instead of focussing on preventing that death...I just can't see it. If I was asked to pray for or with him, I would try, but I'd most certainly be distracted by more immediate requirements needing attention.

If he died, I might continue talking to him, as hearing is the last sense to fade during death, but it would be words of comfort as opposed to a last ditch effort at a conversion.

Any acceptance he might have would most likely be one of desperation, grabbing at straws.

I agree with Brian about being uncomfortable about this thread, but for different reasons, as I have expressed above. Usually those who's death is imminent do not really listen to your words. They listen to the sound of your voice, and look into your eyes. They want to be held because they feel cold, and alone.

That is reality.

v/r

Q

My dad looked at my aunt as he died of terminal cancer and he smiled at her. He had that smile on his face as he passed away.. I do not believe he felt alone he might have felt cold or felt terrible pain but he did not feel alone.. He knew what he had waiting for him and that gave him comfort.

Hi, and Peace,

Silly me--I thought it was a "yes or no" question:) . Okay, well of course I knew it would need to be qualified sooner or later.

First of all, let me say that although the circumstances are different every time (and sometimes they are extremely personal), I have been there, and done that.

No, "conversion" is not the goal. I try to honor their last request about what is on "the other side". I hold them, if I can. And if they are afraid, I ask them if they could consider that God is Love. They usually say "yes". Then I ask them if they think that God could find a way to forgive them for whatever it is they think no one else could forgive. They usually say "yes".

So, I have given them all I can give for the moment, and I trust Love that this is the best I can do, and I leave the rest to Him (or Her, if you prefer:)--I just call Him Him because it doesn't matter much to me--at least not enough to argue about. I prefer "Him".)

Then we usually sing.:)

InPeace,
InLove

when one of my best friends was dying, not stabbed, but only a couple of weeks left to live, I shared about Jesus once again with him & asked if he wanted prayer with the elders. He rejected it all clear to the end. I was sad, so I just let him be.

If I had just been stabbed & dying, I would love to hear words from the Bible or have someone praying with me as I went to the other side to be with the Lord.

If it was someone I did not know at all, I think I would see what they have to say & what they ask for in there last minutes. I don't really believe in the death bed salvation thing since we are judged according to our life & not our death, or preaching people into heaven, but only God knows the heart & when & what will take place after this life.

I like InLoves response about singing something comforting, if they want to. Hard telling what might happen in a situation like that. I am sure some see it every day though in hospitals & on the front lines.

Rev 3:5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

My thought is at least they will be in the Book of Life.. a person cant be judged on sins that have been forgiven him. He may not receive crowns of glory to toss at the feet of the Lord but at least he is there with the Lord who loves him... I believe in deathbed conversions strongly.. I believe God is merciful and gives a person till the moment they die the chance to seek Him.

I'm with Q on this one.

Practical action combined with compassion and love would be my first concern. People often think they are dying if they're losing a lot of blood, even if there is a chance of saving their life. Secondly, the people I've been with as they were dying through hospice and emergency rooms needed comfort above all else. Even those who believed they were headed to a better place wanted to be held, touched, looked at, and loved as they left for that place.

I suppose I would do what I could with first aid, and then just be there with this person. I would share with them that everything would be OK, and would share God's love through my own love. If they said they were scared and didn't know what was on the other side, I would share with them that God is love, and they will meet pure love and light on the other side. I truly believe God is merciful to all who have sought Him (or Her, or It), no matter what name they have called that Presence during their lives. I do not believe it would be compassionate, reassuring, or appropriate to discuss sin and hell with a person who is rapidly dying. I do not believe that God's judgment of each of us rests on a momentary desperate prayer, if our entire lives have been to the contrary. And yet, if our lives have shown love and compassion, goodness and peace, and we have furthered our spirituality, I do not believe God rejects us if we do not identify as Christian. I believe God truly does come to all who seek Him, but that doesn't mean we all end up with the same ideas about Him.

Faithful- you are blessed that your father had such a peaceful end. Fear of death seems to be more of an individual thing than common to one religion or the other. I have seen Buddhists, atheists, and neo-Pagans who embraced death as well as Christians and other monotheists. And I have seen Christians desperately afraid of death, just as I have seen others in that category. Some people just need more immediate comfort than others, and some ways to die are more terrifying and leave less time for "wrapping up one's business" here than others.

Are you in the medical field, Path?

i havent been exposed to much death.. I was 12 when my dad died and my grandfather had a peaceful passing a year and a half ago and a dear friend of my family who passed a little before that told the Doctor "no more" when she had had enough kidney dialysis she was ready to be with the Lord.. thats pretty much the extent of my experience.

Faithfulservant said:
Hi Brian.. Thats an unfair question because Christians truly believe what the bible teaches. We look at unsaved people and believe they need Jesus Christ for their salvation. We dont look at a dying person just facing the last minutes of their life we look at a dying person facing the last minutes of their life without the promise of waking up in Heaven in the minutes after.
I certainly think it's an interesting and stimulating question and I've nothing against it being posed - however, from a personal point of view, I have to admit to being very surprised by it, though I appreciate the motivations.

Here in the UK, religion is regarded as very much a personal issue - so far as I understand, where possible last rites or similar are offered to the dying if they accept them. However, if they do not wish to receive them, the wish is apparently respected.

I guess a particular problem is that this thread itself touches on other more complex questions, such as what constitutes Salvation itself, and whether we embrace God because of love or fear.

But a fair question to raise as a thread - it is indeed.

Motivations for salvation do not matter to God in my belief. I think He just wants us to find Him regardless. The bible says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." So if they came to Him because of Fear at least they came to Him.. fear is not from God and He understands our humaness and is merciful... I also believe that HE is the one that makes the choice who to call...and would use any means necessary. Do I make any sense? Who are the people that need to be saved? The fearful.. the tormented.. the despairing.. the dying.. the helpless.. Not just the righteous.. or the happy... or the loving.. or the content. Thats why Jesus spent His time witnessing to the lowly of society. Salvation is for everyone and its free with no conditions. Eesh I hope I made sense of what I was trying to say.

Faithfulservant said:
Motivations for salvation do not matter to God in my belief. I think He just wants us to find Him regardless. The bible says "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." So if they came to Him because of Fear at least they came to Him.. fear is not from God and He understands our humaness and is merciful... I also believe that HE is the one that makes the choice who to call...and would use any means necessary. Do I make any sense? Who are the people that need to be saved? The fearful.. the tormented.. the despairing.. the dying.. the helpless.. Not just the righteous.. or the happy... or the loving.. or the content. Thats why Jesus spent His time witnessing to the lowly of society. Salvation is for everyone and its free with no conditions. Eesh I hope I made sense of what I was trying to say.
Yes, you make sense...but if you are ever (God forbid) in a situation as noted above, don't hold it against yourself if you can't think of a single verse to express to the desperate, at the time of their passing. Instead, remember that at times like this, the Holy Spirit has the job of interpreting the moaning and anguish of the soul.

We seem to forget that time means nothing to God. So we try to get acquiesence from those around us on our terms. before our "hour" is up. God needs none of that. Who knows what happens between one heart beat and the next, when describing the relationship between God and a man? Eternity is possible I suspect, if not at least a life time...

I've been giving some thought to this scenario. The instant a man even begins to turn his head towards God, all of heaven shakes, and the Angels stand stock still. Whether a man is in the "book of Life" or not, was written long ago. When or if he comes to Christ is not ours to determine. Quoting Christ to the dying does nothing for the dying. Living like Christ before the dying does everything for the dying. Using the scenario noted above as reference to my point, I hope I've made sense...

BTW Faithful, I'm not a hard ass...I'm just drawn that way. :D

v/r

Q

Faithfulservant said:
Are you in the medical field, Path?

i havent been exposed to much death.. I was 12 when my dad died and my grandfather had a peaceful passing a year and a half ago and a dear friend of my family who passed a little before that told the Doctor "no more" when she had had enough kidney dialysis she was ready to be with the Lord.. thats pretty much the extent of my experience.
No. Before I decided to become a cultural anthropologist, however, I was in biomedical sciences and intending to be a surgeon. So I did a lot of volunteer work in a local hospice and an emergency room. I haven't seen a lot of death compared to most who stayed in those fields, but I saw more variety than many, I'd wager. Around the same time I took a course in Religious Studies called simply "Death," and it was very helpful in my understanding of how different religions understand death, their practices, and individual responses to the process. During this course, I was working for hospice, lost my grandfather to stomach cancer, and my brother-in-law to suicide. My grandfather, thankfully, died peacefully at home in hospice care; my brother-in-law's death was the tragic end of years of depression and physical pain that he could no longer bear. My hospice ladies varied between those who were heart-breakingly ready to die and physically unable to pass over, and those who were desperately scared of the process. I tried to give comfort and love where I could. I will be forever grateful for sharing their dying processes with them, for hearing them describe their slow process of going in and out of this world and the next, despite how hard it was emotionally for me. They, and my grandfather, had the time to live between worlds for a while, on the threshold, and it was a profound gift to share such an experience, albeit second-hand. This contrasted so greatly with the traumatic deaths I had seen in the ER and with my brother-in-law, in which folks had little or no time to transition and process the experience. I sometimes sense spirits, and I could sense the confusion, the grief of some of these unfortunate folks. I can sense sometimes the anxiety and fear of living folks when they contemplate death, even those who profess to be going to heaven. Death is a difficult thing for some, no matter their beliefs, while for others it is a welcome transition, even if they don't know where they are going. At least, that is my observation.

Q, I appreciated your eloquent words and I wholeheartedly agree. My experience has been that time for the dying, and of course for God, is not the same as time for us. I spoken to people who had near-death experiences who said that time seemed to stop, to accelerate, to decelerate... that eternity was held in an instant at times. This resonates with my own experiences when I've been out of body, though I have never died. I have heard accounts from hospice nurses of atheist patients suddenly being with angels, and I believe them. I truly believe all time stops and eternity begins when one turns toward God and is embraced by the Divine.

All time stops when we turn to God...

Isn't that the truth!

v/r

Q

BTW Faithful, I'm not a hard ass...I'm just drawn that way. :D
:)

I do know that if I was ever in a situation like that... that I would ask that God use me.. I do not think there is anything more comforting than the words of Christ.. to me anyways.

This IS something that happened to me.. I was on my way to work and I went a different way that I never normally would have gone because I had to pick something up.. when I pulled into the parking lot I saw an ambulance the EMT's were hovered over a lady and there was another lady laying next to her. Normally I wouldnt go near them because they do not need "lookers" crowding the area but I couldnt move I felt compelled to stand there and I felt even more compelled to pray.. they loaded the woman into the ambulance and I saw the other lady getting in her truck and I just walked towards her without thinking about it.. Im not an agressive person and would not normally do things like this.. I asked the woman in the truck that lady's name and that I felt compelled to pray for her and if she could tell me what happened and she flat out asked me if I was a spirit filled Christian and I said yes ma'am she grabbed my hand and prayed with me.. then we praised God for getting us together to pray. The woman in the ambulance was her Aunt and she had collapsed in the store and passed out and it had happened a few times recently. Interesting I saw this same lady at the bank a year later and I approached her and she also remembered me and told me that they did tests and could find nothing wrong with her aunt and she had not had any other occurances since that day.

I began my day with bible study and prayer and I asked God to please use me for His work. I know that He directed me to that place for intercessory prayer with that lady in the truck.. Thats why I believe that He guides people into situations to do His work. If that stabbed man needed someone who could do CPR to save His life... I do not believe that would be me.. If He directed me to someone that seeked the words of Christ or prayer ... Well I would know it was God.. and that the Spirit would speak through me.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."

Back