How We Greet One Another

You'd be amazed at what old threads I browse:p

Prober; said:
And, if you start out nice, maybe it's harder to argue meanly.

(Stupid dumbass moron, How are you? I am fine. Last summer, in band camp...I...)

As I lived in Greece and gradualy learned the language I was amazed to find that all young Greek men, and I mean all in that I never once heard differently, greet each other in this way: "How are you wanker". (only highlight if you dont mind foul language). You do occasionaly get foul-mouthed greetings here but it's far from normal and I think this to be an entirely Greek habit.

TE

Hi. Peace To All Here! :)

Sometimes I dread what may surface when I see an old thread suddenly revisited. But this is one of my favorites. I enjoyed running to and fro, board to board, on a real fact-finding mission in hopes of promoting understanding. It is the kind of work I love!

Funny how I am still a little nervous about greetings and how I use them. But the discovery that most of the variations on any particular greeting stem from language more often than religion helps a bit.

Anyway, thanks for exhuming this body of paragraphs once again, TE. I've been reading back through it, remembering with fondness some folks who contributed who might not be posting anymore, and looking forward with equal enthusiasm to possible input from newer members. :)

InPeace,
InLove

"How are you wanker". (only highlight if you dont mind foul language). You do occasionaly get foul-mouthed greetings here but it's far from normal and I think this to be an entirely Greek habit.

TE

:D:D:D That remends me of a joke, but nevermind!

Not on this forum, but elsewhere I have a number of different greetings, some that I will use less frequently and some that I will use more frequently. The one that I use is mostly random but sometimes it will be based on what the other person says to me first or on my relationship with them.

I see a lot of buddhists use Namaste.

I was never taught that and now kind of shy away from it because it seems cliche.

It's not cliche that others use it. I just feel that I'd be taking it on to sound more "Buddhist".

For now I'll just stick with "Dude".

I looked in the mirror and Said,

"GOOD MORNING BHAKTAJAN" and then I said hey keep your voice down, it's too early for such revelry.

And I thought to my self:

Hey bhaktajan,
That's right, Mr bhaktajan, I'm tawking to you!

What's your problem? You need attention?

99% of your posts make no sense. Bhaktajan, you are so full of your self.

Your speech patterns are in-decipherable. I get a headache from giving you a moments read.

Where do I get the nerve to think I know what I'm tawking about?

From now on I shall be ignoring any comments I make!

I can't take it anymore, do I hear myself good enough for you--propbably not--you are so vain, I meant it! I am so vain and tire of me!

Well, you know what I stand for and everybody else knows what I stand for --and I can't take it any more.
I am such a loud opinionated veteren that the last person I need telling how to think and speak is me!

You are not going to have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore.

Do I really think that nobody knows about my Uncle Gupta's affliction?
We all know about my un-controlled out-bursts against fools like myself.
We have been waiting for some one to finally put myself in his place and tell me where I sould go --well, finally, here I am.

And I will not put up a fight. Do you hear me?

Yes, I think Bhaktajan thinks he can cut the cheese better than others can.

We all know about how puffed-up Bhaktajan is, it's no secret--he'd be the first to tell you replete with some fancy-shmancy Sanskrit Alphabet Poster into the bargin.

Well no more. I am logging out and I don't know how many minutes until I will allow myself another post.

I hope this makes you happy, there! I've gone and said and that's that!

From now on I will just keep things to myself not.

good bye,
you know who I am; stop being sooo smart,
Bhaktajan

And then that's when I woke up and wondered if any one had responded to a post of mine on Interfaith Forum wile sitting infront of their computer's glowing screen.

QUOTE=xcvbxcvb re: How are you?
"I like this one.
Only problem is that only half the people ever answer you."

There is more to it than not getting an answer. The greeting is a common one where I live and I have to use some discernment before responding.

It is often used in a manner that suggests the person does not really want to know how I am, in which case the appropriate reponse is a positive (OK/Good/Fine...) followed by "How are you?" or just "you?"

However, people I know better might make the same greeting but expect a more detailed response such as:
information on how my day has been,
what has happened since we last met,
whether I am in good health or bad,
or maybe they have had a bad day and want some to ask how they are so that they can have someone listen to them.:rolleyes:

One has to read facial expressions and body language to get some idea of how to respond to "How are you?"

If only half the people you say it to respond this suggests that you live among people who just don't want to talk or, perhaps, even to think about how they are. Or maybe they are no good at reading body language?

I like the chinese greeting, which is really an affirmation, litterally translated.

You good.

I like this one.

Only problem is that only half the people ever answer you.
Reality is that no one really wants the answer to that.

I hold their head to my ass and fart in their face.

I imagine you have a very unique group of friends.

I like the chinese greeting, which is really an affirmation, litterally translated.

You good.

Reality is that no one really wants the answer to that.
I like to greet Chinese friends/students with either:
Cantonese - Ne ho mah
or
Mandarin - Nee how

(both approximate spellings)

The Thai greeting is gender specific, something like:
sarhwa ti krabp - said by men
and
sarwah ti Kah - said by women

(I learned to pronounce them but not how to spell them)

I see a lot of buddhists use Namaste.

I was never taught that and now kind of shy away from it because it seems cliche.

It's not cliche that others use it. I just feel that I'd be taking it on to sound more "Buddhist".

For now I'll just stick with "Dude".

I know, right? Like the last time we spoke, you were all like "dude!" so then I went "dude?" and you were still like "dude!?" and so I just thought "duude" and we haven't really spoken since so I am sooo sorry about that I feel bad about it dude.

I imagine you have a very unique group of friends.

Can't believe I didn't get kicked out for that.

I actually like the idea of this forum ....never fails to amaze me the disrespect I find here, at times, however.

Cheers.

Can't believe I didn't get kicked out for that.

I actually like the idea of this forum ....never fails to amaze me the disrespect I find here, at times, however.

Cheers.
We put up with one hell of a lot.... giving one every chance for redemption and growth. Well almost every chance.

Back