the Bible from a Jehovah's Witness perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dor

Bible Thumper
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
little town called Dallas, Tx
mee said:
and the Word was a god ["was divine," AT; Mo; or "of divine being," Böhmer; Stage (both German)]. This one was in the beginning with God." Since Jehovah is eternal and had no beginning (Ps 90:2; Re 15:3), the Word’s being with God from "the beginning" must here refer to the beginning of Jehovah’s creative works. This is confirmed by other texts identifying Jesus as "the firstborn of all creation," "the beginning of the creation by God."
Ok so let me see if I understand this the NWT says it should say a god instead of God. And that Jesus was the first thing created by God and he is a god.

Well wouldnt that make JW's polythestic.

And wouldnt that make
American Standard
New American Standard
English Standard
King James
New King James
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Third Millennium Bible
New Living Translation
New Revised Standard
Revised Standard
Good News
Douay-Rheims
New Century Version
God's Word translation
World English
The Message
The Complete Jewish Bible
The Bible in Basic English
The Darby Translation
The Webster Bible
Young's Literal Translation
Weymouth New Testament
NIV
Today's New International Version
New International Readers Version
all wrong cause they say 'and the Word was God'.....hmmmm.
 

Quahom1

What was the question?
Messages
9,906
Reaction score
6
Points
36
Location
Maryland
Re: A question to all Christians, anyone can answer though.

Abogado del Diablo said:
Here's something I've always been curious about. In this passage, what is the author referring to when he/she uses the term "Scripture"?

Exactly what you thought..."all scripture"

When I hear or read "scripture", and know it is God inspired (and we know), I like to think I take heed and apply it to my day to day living (as best I can). I think I know where you are going with this, and I happen to agree, not every God given bit of advice and/or instruction is between the bindings of a cover titled "Holy Bible" ? :eek:

v/r

Q
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dor said:
Ok so let me see if I understand this the NWT says it should say a god instead of God. And that Jesus was the first thing created by God and he is a god.

Well wouldnt that make JW's polythestic.

And wouldnt that make
American Standard
New American Standard
English Standard
King James
New King James
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Third Millennium Bible
New Living Translation
New Revised Standard
Revised Standard
Good News
Douay-Rheims
New Century Version
God's Word translation
World English
The Message
The Complete Jewish Bible
The Bible in Basic English
The Darby Translation
The Webster Bible
Young's Literal Translation
Weymouth New Testament
NIV
Today's New International Version
New International Readers Version
all wrong cause they say 'and the Word was God'.....hmmmm.
yes ,Jesus really is like God , in fact he is the image of God, he had a pre-human life for who knows how many thousands or billions of years with his father Jehovah in the heavens , when he learned from Jehovah , he was learning from the God of LOVE . because Jehovah is love. yes as you mentioned ,many translators have gone along with the trinity teaching , which then puts the bible out of harmony, but from a JW point of view we get back to the original meaning , then the bible does not contridict itself. i think these verses say it all .
(Proverbs 8:30) then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time,................ yes Jesus really was a master worker he had the best teacher, his father Jehovah.​

(John 17:5) So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was. ....................................yes Jesus plays a very big part in Jehovahs purpose for the earth , in fact everything was created through Jesus , but Jesus was created by Jehovah alone. i love the way the bible harmonizes throughout
(Proverbs 8:22) "Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago.
(Colossians 1:15) He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
(Revelation 3:14) "And to the angel of the congregation in La·o·di·ce´a write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God,
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him. John 1;18
In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. 3 All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.John1;1-2
So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of undeserved kindness and truth. John1;14
(Exodus 33:20) And he added: "You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live............. Gods son Jesus came to earth but Jehovah did not , because Jehovah is dynamic energy and no man is able to see his face and live .
(John 6:46) Not that any man has seen the Father, except he who is from God; this one has seen the Father.............. and we knowthat one is his son Jesus christ.
(1 John 4:12) At no time has anyone beheld God. If we continue loving one another, God remains in us and his love is made perfect in us.

 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
(John 5:37) Also, the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. YOU have neither heard his voice at any time nor seen his figure;​

(John 6:38) because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me.............yes his father Jehovah sent him.
(John 8:23) So he went on to say to them: "YOU are from the realms below; I am from the realms above. YOU are from this world; I am not from this world...............yes Jesus had a pre-human life in the heavens with his father Jehovah . i love the way the bible harmonizes.
(John 8:42) Jesus said to them: "If God were YOUR Father, YOU would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth.............yes his father Jehovah sent him forth.
(1 Corinthians 15:47) The first man is out of the earth and made of dust; the second man is out of heaven. ................................yes Jesus had a pre-human life in heaven with his father Jehovah
(Ephesians 4:9) Now the expression "he ascended," what does it mean but that he also descended into the lower regions, that is, the earth? ......................yes his Father Jehovah sent him to the earth.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting lifeJohn 3;16
(Romans 8:32) He who did not even spare his own Son but delivered him up for us all, why will he not also with him kindly give us all other things?​

(1 John 4:9) By this the love of God was made manifest in our case, because God sent forth his only-begotten Son into the world that we might gain life through him.




 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
yes this son that Jehovah sent to earth will do great things for the earth, the earth will be brought back to paradise conditions, through the heavenly kingdom goverment that Jesus is now king of. Daniel 2;44the English word "paradise" is related to Greek, Persian, and Hebrew words that all carry the thought of a park or garden, a peaceful, refreshing place. The Bible promises that some day the earth will be a physical paradise, a gardenlike home for a sinless human race. (Psalm 37:10, 11)
No lazy man’s paradise this; it will be a place of satisfying activity. (Compare John 5:17.) Restoration of paradise will be accomplished by individuals carrying out the command given to man in the original paradise: subdue the earth, cultivate it and care for it. Man’s willingness to do so in harmony with divine instructions, coupled with God’s blessing, will bring about a gradual spreading of paradise conditions throughout the globe.—Gen. 1:28.​
Many persons today are frustrated with their work, for it often is monotonous and seems to accomplish little more than offering the means to survive from one day to the next. What a contrast, though, in the picture conveyed by the prophetic words of Isaiah: "People will build houses and get to live in them—they will not be used by someone else. They will plant vineyards and enjoy the wine—it will not be drunk by others. . . . They will fully enjoy the things that they have worked for. . . . I will bless them and their descendants for all time to come." (Isa. 65:21-23, Today’s English Version) Conditions comparable to that will exist in the coming earthly paradise. Can you imagine how satisfying it will be to apply your energies and talents to such work?—Eccl. 2:24. and it will all come about because those living on the earth will be instructed by Jehovah. so, this is GOODNEWS INDEED bring it on
And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come matthew 24;14 yes this heavenly kingdom will accomplish what manmade goverments will never be able to accomplish....PARADISE

 

Abogado del Diablo

Ferally Decent
Messages
745
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Texas
Re: A question to all Christians, anyone can answer though.

Quahom1 said:
Exactly what you thought..."all scripture"

When I hear or read "scripture", and know it is God inspired (and we know), I like to think I take heed and apply it to my day to day living (as best I can). I think I know where you are going with this, and I happen to agree, not every God given bit of advice and/or instruction is between the bindings of a cover titled "Holy Bible" ? :eek:

v/r

Q
That's part of it. But also, at the time this was written, there was no "New Testament" or a recognized "canon" of Christian writings, and there were whole bunch of things that were widely read in early Christian churches and treated as authoritative writings that did not make the official "canon." So what is the author referring to? Just the Jewish scriptures? Or does it include some "Christian" writings? If so, which ones is the author talking about? And how do we know that?
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
With each passing year, the world is becoming more and more dangerous. It is overrun with warring armies, dishonest politicians, hypocritical religious leaders, and hardened criminals. The world as a whole is beyond reform. The Bible reveals that the time is near when God will eliminate the wicked world during his war of Armageddon. This will make way for a righteous new world.—Revelation 16:14-16.​

Jehovah God selected Jesus Christ to be Ruler of His heavenly Kingdom, or government. Long ago, the Bible foretold: "Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called . . . Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end." (Isaiah 9:6, 7, King James Version) Regarding this government, Jesus taught his followers to pray: "Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth." (Matthew 6:10) God’s Kingdom will soon remove all the governments of this world, and it itself will replace all of them. (Daniel 2:44) Then God’s Kingdom will usher in an earthly paradise. what a great thing to see that the bible promises us that the earth will be a paradise. thats because Jesus is the prince of peace, and those who want to be ruled by him will fall inline with the heavenly kingdom that he is king of. just what we need isnt it?
 

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Re: A question to all Christians, anyone can answer though.

Quahom1 said:
The whole world is not in the power of Satan, the wicked one.
Dear Quahom1,

Good point you made. It's the "sway", "wiles" or "deception" of the evil one... that's what the bible speaks of.:) The world isn't under the power of Satan. He is the great deceiver and father of lies in the world.
 

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mee said:
With each passing year, the world is becoming more and more dangerous. It is overrun with warring armies, dishonest politicians, hypocritical religious leaders, and hardened criminals. The world as a whole is beyond reform. The Bible reveals that the time is near when God will eliminate the wicked world during his war of Armageddon. This will make way for a righteous new world.—Revelation 16:14-16.​

Jehovah God selected Jesus Christ to be Ruler of His heavenly Kingdom, or government. Long ago, the Bible foretold: "Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called . . . Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end." (Isaiah 9:6, 7, King James Version) Regarding this government, Jesus taught his followers to pray: "Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth." (Matthew 6:10) God’s Kingdom will soon remove all the governments of this world, and it itself will replace all of them. (Daniel 2:44) Then God’s Kingdom will usher in an earthly paradise. what a great thing to see that the bible promises us that the earth will be a paradise. thats because Jesus is the prince of peace, and those who want to be ruled by him will fall inline with the heavenly kingdom that he is king of. just what we need isnt it?

Yes.:)
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JustifiedByFaith said:
its good to know that the established heavenly kngdom that Jesus is now king of, daniel 2;44 will sort things out for good . according to bible prophecy and chronology ,the heavenly kingdom was set up in the heavens in 1914 and Jesus was given kingship and rulership of it.
Following the overthrow of the last king to sit on "Jehovah’s throne" in Jerusalem (1Ch 29:23), the prophet Daniel was given a vision describing the future appointment of God’s own Son to serve as King. Jehovah’s position stands out clearly when he, as the Ancient of Days, grants rulership to his Son. The account states: "I kept on beholding in the visions of the night, and, see there! with the clouds of the heavens someone like a son of man happened to be coming; and to the Ancient of Days he gained access, and they brought him up close even before that One. And to him there were given rulership and dignity and kingdom, that the peoples, national groups and languages should all serve even him. His rulership is an indefinitely lasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom one that will not be brought to ruin." (Da 7:13, 14) A comparison of this text with Matthew 26:63, 64 leaves no doubt that the "son of man" in Daniel’s vision is Jesus Christ. He gains access to Jehovah’s presence and is given rulership.—Compare Ps 2:8, 9; Mt 28:18. yes its all happening in this time of the end , the end of manmade goverments are just around the corner , but Gods heavenly kingdom goverment will last for ever . bring it on i say.
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Re: A question to all Christians, anyone can answer though.

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Quahom1,

Good point you made. It's the "sway", "wiles" or "deception" of the evil one... that's what the bible speaks of.:) The world isn't under the power of Satan. He is the great deceiver and father of lies in the world.
According to the bible ,Jehovah is allowing satan to rule and influence the world , but when Jehovahs time is up he will put satan in the abyss so that he can no longer influence the nations ,as the bible tells us at 1 John 5;19 the whole world is under the power of the wicked one .and yes as you mentioned he certainly is the great deceiver, he was the first one to ever tell a lie , and that happened way back in the garden of eden. yes he has a great influence on even the religions of the world . even Jesus recognized this, when speaking to the so called religious leaders back in his day.
YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie]John 8;44 yes when satan began his rebellion he was a manslayer because he caused adam and eve to die , the first lie told was by satan ,he said that they would not die if they eat the fruit , how wrong he was . they could have lived forever if adam and eve had not listened to the first lier, he has a lot to answer for , the great deceiver. yes even the religions of the world have been decieved by this lie, the immortality of the human soul is carrying on the lie. and satan is behind it all.
 

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mee said:
(John 3:16) "For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.




(1 John 4:9) By this the love of God was made manifest in our case, because God sent forth his only-begotten Son into the world that we might gain life through him.


John​

1:1—"and the Word was a god (godlike; divine)"

Gr., κα
ι θεοςηνο λόγος (kai the·os´ en ho lo´gos)
(Proverbs 8:30) then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time,
(John 1:18) No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him.... ................yes the bible harmonizes throughout , Jesus had a pre-human life in heaven with his father , and he was the only one created by Jehovah alone , every thing else was created through Jesus. yes Jesus was a master worker in the heavens with his father Jehovah . he really is divine like.



(Genesis 1:26) And God went on to say: "Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth."​




(Genesis 3:22) And Jehovah God went on to say: "Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad, and now in order that he may not put his hand out and actually take [fruit] also from the tree of life and eat and live to time indefinite,—" .............yes he was talking to his first-born son in his pre-human life in the heavens ,with his father Jehovah.




Dear mee,

The difficulty I will have trying to gently engage with you regarding your interpretations is not with you but with the uniquely, intentionally translated New World Translation? I would like to exhort, rebuke and admonish but can't? We can't discuss apples with apples.:rolleyes:
Speaking of apples, I wonder if my kids ate all the granny smiths in the fridge?:)
 

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mee said:
its good to know that the established heavenly kngdom that Jesus is now king of, daniel 2;44 will sort things out for good . according to bible prophecy and chronology ,the heavenly kingdom was set up in the heavens in 1914 and Jesus was given kingship and rulership of it.
Dear mee,

Actually the date 1914 isn't according to bible prophesy but according to JW prophesies.:rolleyes:

Zion's Watchtower Nov, 1880 p 1. calling AD 1914 "The times of the Gentiles".

Studies in Scriptures vol 2, "The time is at hand." 1889 ed p 101. >says that Rev 16:14 "Battle of the great day of God Almighty" will end in 1914.

This is an interpretation coming from the leaders in the JW church not bible prophesy or chrono according to the majority of bible scholars.:rolleyes:

Watchtower July 15, 1894 p 266 says that 1914 is the end of the "time of trouble"...

Note: With all due respect for your faith mee I have several friends who have left the JW due to a well documented history of unfullfilled prophesies & predictions. I hope to always discuss things with you in truth and in love. I will not attack you personally EVER... but I will shine the "Light" when needed.


Sincerely,

JustifiedByFaith
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear mee,

Actually the date 1914 isn't according to bible prophesy but according to JW prophesies.:rolleyes:

Zion's Watchtower Nov, 1880 p 1. calling AD 1914 "The times of the Gentiles".

Studies in Scriptures vol 2, "The time is at hand." 1889 ed p 101. >says that Rev 16:14 "Battle of the great day of God Almighty" will end in 1914.

This is an interpretation coming from the leaders in the JW church not bible prophesy or chrono according to the majority of bible scholars.:rolleyes:

Watchtower July 15, 1894 p 266 says that 1914 is the end of the "time of trouble"...

Note: With all due respect for your faith mee I have several friends who have left the JW due to a well documented history of unfullfilled prophesies & predictions. I hope to always discuss things with you in truth and in love. I will not attack you personally EVER... but I will shine the "Light" when needed.


Sincerely,

JustifiedByFaith
yes ,and how right those early bible students were about 1914 , it really is a significant date .......... it is the START of the last days, thrilling times indeed that we are living in. keeping awake to bible prophecy is the thing to do , it means that we can know where we are in the stream of time . Jehovah reveals many things to those who kept awake to bible prophecy . now they have a great responsibility to make it known that Jesus is now a reining king in the heavenly kingdom goverment. and Jehovah is going to step into the affairs of humans by crushing ALL goverments of humans and then his heavenly kingdom can rule without any interferance Daniel 2;44 isnt it great that we know the earth is going to be brought back to paradise condtions and it will all come about through Gods heavenly kingdom goverment
"‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth matthew 6;9-10
 

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dor said:
Yes it does. Try a few different versions though.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/
yes i have many versions , but i like the new world translation the best.
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work... 2 timothy 3;16................. but as you say, its good to have and look at different ones .
 

JustifiedByFaith

Contending For The Faith
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
mee said:
yes i have many versions , but i like the new world translation the best.
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work... 2 timothy 3;16................. but as you say, its good to have and look at different ones .
Dear mee,

I am just curious what you think the elders in the church would say or think if you used another version other than the New World Translation for all your studies in the scriptures?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top