Islam on a collision course

Interesting board...
A lot of what I wanted to say has already been said so I'll try to keep it short.
In my humble opinion, although Islam does require adherence to the Qur'an and (arguably) the Sunnah (the fine print of which I do not personally agree with-as in the laws concerning adultery, when interpreted literally and applied to the modern world) it also encourages some measure of independant thought. To me, this means that faith should not be a blind adherence to dogmatic laws, but a path followed willfully, mindfully, and with respect for oneself and for others, with the idea that there is always room for further development. Religion, like man, is a dynamic institution. Unfortunately, Muslims and Christians alike are too busy damning each other to Hell for not obeying *insert dramatic music here* God's commands, or their perceptions of interpretations, of ideas of someone's slant on what might or might not be God's commands.
And for those of you who believe in a judging God, who places people neatly into two categories (good-bad, heavenbound-hellbound) I would suggest that the arguement is a moot point, because it's not up to any mortal to decide who will "suffer" what and who won't. All three Abrahamic faiths, as far as I know, tells us that judging others is wrong. Let God decide who goes into what category, if that is what you wish to believe, and let us acknowledge that there may be more than one way to reach Higher Consciousness.

people islam is the right religion, if you want to have an discussion about this fact then please reply.

Do not question!!! Islam is right, you are wrong! ;)

:D

I know you're being funny, don't worry.

What "Islam" really means is "submission to the Will of God." A Jew who is devoted to God and in submission to God is, in that sense, Muslim, even though he/she is Jewish. The same goes for a Christian, Hindu, Zoroastrian, Buddhist, etc. A Muslim who is devoted to God and in submission to God is Muslim. A Muslim who is not, is not therefore, actually a Muslim.

I have a question: Why do I suspect that women in the middle east have more fulfilling sex-lives than women in America?

There is an spiritual satisfication, there is an emotional satisfaction, & then there is a "throwout the load" orgasamic satisfaction. All three do overlap one another in some regions, but in most of the regions they dont. So we can study all three separately.

It is illogical for a deity to require worship.

The body is made of earth, so all its interests & attractions are towards earth. It wants to gather earth. It wants to keep focussing upon earth. It wants to meditate & contemplate, strive & struggle, kill & die for earth. Money, cars, mansions etc.

The soul is divine spark, the breath of God, the creed of God. So all its interests & attractions are towards God. It wants to be with God, be in God, be according to God, be obedient & humble to God. Be meditating & contemplating, striving & struggling, (and if situation arises) killing & dying for God.

Our consciousness boots itself in earth realm, with no non-obfuscated memory of past or future. So we tend to believe that gathering earth is what this life (& human existance) is all about. Worship is an alternate way of thinking. A way of thinking that says that there are other things in this universe, far more important than gathering earth. With time, the consciousness (nafs) evolves from being earth-centric to being God-centric, which IMO is the whole reason of life, learning to leave ephemeral things for the eternal one.

Adam chose apple over God, so thats the whole thing, learning to choose God over apple ;).

Worship is an alternate way of thinking. A way of thinking that says that there are other things in this universe, far more important than gathering earth.

Yes, there is something greater than the human mind. God. I believe we were created to know God and to love God. Our knowledge of God is limited, obviously, because we ourselves are limited. Only God is All-Knowing. We worship God and are in awe of God, the One Who is greater than we can ever comprehend.

Only God is All-Knowing. We worship God and are in awe of God, the One Who is greater than we can ever comprehend.

Funny you seem to know so much about this entity that you have never seen, touched, heard or smelled. Not just you but the billions who profess such a thing exists have also never seen, touched, heard nor smelled it. Dont you find it a bit weird to be worshipping and bestowing on something you cannot possibly know exists such awesome power? And have you considered that maybe you do not really believe, but that you are just too afraid not to?

tao

Tao,

I had been meaning to ask you: why is it that Scots are drinking so much more than they did only a few years ago?

http://news.scotsman.com/health/Scots-39drink-twice-as-much.4119048.jp

The report is in my estimation nonsense. Within a mile of my home in the past 6 years there have been 9 bars that have closed their doors permanently and 2 convenience stores, that sell drink, have also gone to the wall. As I live in an area with a reputation for heavy drinking I think this suggests people are drinking less not more. And it would not be the first time that Health Scotland has resorted to sensationalist scaremongering to try and launch a campaign.
But what is a far more interesting question is why did you ask in the first place. Unable to rationally counter my POV so you resort to this? Well I make no apologies nor excuses for how I drink or when. I like to get drunk occasionally, far more occasionally than you might think. But at least when I do I am getting drunk on something real, something I can see, feel, touch, taste and even hear. And at least I can blame an excess of irrationality on the intoxication of something real. And when I wake up the next day, my head may hurt a little, but at least I am sane again.;)

tao

:D

I know you're being funny, don't worry.

What "Islam" really means is "submission to the Will of God." A Jew who is devoted to God and in submission to God is, in that sense, Muslim, even though he/she is Jewish. The same goes for a Christian, Hindu, Zoroastrian, Buddhist, etc. A Muslim who is devoted to God and in submission to God is Muslim. A Muslim who is not, is not therefore, actually a Muslim.

but of course I'm being funny!

I see what you're saying but I don't agree.. Islam means submission to the will of god. But what does muslim mean? It means that you (I think well, my opinion.) Abide by -the laws- of islam not what the word islam means. So a jew isn't a muslim. Because there is much of Islam that a jew wouldn't agree to or practice. And the same for all the other types of religions you spoke of.

But yeah all these groups are doing the will of their god. (apart from the buddhists;)) Try and rephrase... all these groups are doing what they believe is the right path to the bigger picture.

I'm pretty sure Muslim is another form of the word Islam... so it would mean one who is in submission to the will of God.

_________

Tao, I've been an agnostic before... I was raised Mormon, then became interested in Taoism, Islam, and then everything else. For a while I didn't believe in God, but eventually I couldn't not believe in God. The greatest evidence for me, and I know this is the Islam forum, but personally the greatest evidence for me that there is a God is the Writings of Baha'u'llah.

The Qur'an is also evidence, great evidence, of God. If you take the time to read it... I've read at least three different translations... it's remarkable, inspiring, a treasury of wisdom.

The Qur'an is also evidence, great evidence, of God. If you take the time to read it... I've read at least three different translations... it's remarkable, inspiring, a treasury of wisdom.

I would disagree. I am currently examining it for the 2nd time and my opinion formed in my first read is only being strengthened. It is the most contrived and manipulative of any holy book.

Tao_Equus said:
Funny you seem to know so much about this entity that you have never seen, touched, heard or smelled.
tao,

are you married? i ask not to get personal information, but to illustrate this point. have you ever seen, touched, heard or smelled love? if you are married, did you always expect to get married? did you know your partner existed before you met him or her? did you think marriage was a good idea before you tried it?

besides, i know a great deal about G!D because i have a document which, as far as i am concerned, was written by G!D.

Alex P said:
So a jew isn't a muslim. Because there is much of Islam that a jew wouldn't agree to or practice. And the same for all the other types of religions you spoke of.
you can be a conservative with a small "c", without being a Conservative with a big "c", one who is a member of or supports the party. it's a bit like that - you can be a muslim with a small "m".

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back