What's right?

presser_kun

Reaction score
I have a real-world dilemma:

What is the right thing to believe about God?

This question presupposes a few things, such as...

+ There is a God
+ God is personal
+ "Right" as a concept can be absolute

Here's why I ask:

I grew up as a Christian fundamentalist, left my denomination, began searching for the Truth. Every day I find myself more at sea, less certain about much of anything.

I just want to do the right thing with my life, and I'm finding it hard going to discover just what that is.

I know there are many answers to this, such as:

+ You have to determine this yourself
+ Accept what the Bible says
+ There is no Truth, no Right
+ You have to have faith

I hope that this discussion doesn't descend into name-calling. I'm not interested in "Listen to me, because I'm right; I know the Truth!"

I am interested in how others determine what Right, what Truth is, and whether these are important in daily life or just interesting topics to discuss.

Thanks to all who may find this and reply.

Peace (for which I constantly search),

presser_kun

for me, seeking externally tends to give one a head full of definitions and beliefs...whereas seeking internally leads to the "truth" about all. not a lot of calories there, but i am between mundane stuff presently. the fact you are seeking is a great indication that you are well ahead of most of humanity...

pseudonymous said:
for me, seeking externally tends to give one a head full of definitions and beliefs...

Indeed. My little head is bursting with these . . . these frustrating gremlins.

Is it right to call them such? The Secular me says, "No." The Seeker me says, "Probably."

I go back and forth, to and fro, from "sensible, pragmatic common sense" about the nature of reality, the universe, my life, my self, and the desire to believe. My lover says that this is because I'm unwilling to let go of old crutches.

...whereas seeking internally leads to the "truth" about all.

Hmm. Is this more than self-contemplation? Navel gazing? I meditate and gain peace from it, a lot of peace, actually. I just can't seem to reconcile that connection with something greater than I am with the everyday world I live in.

the fact you are seeking is a great indication that you are well ahead of most of humanity...

Wow. You really think so? I believe that a lot of us are seeking.

Thanks for your thoughts.

peace,

press

What's right is to be honest with yourself about what YOU really believe and to do your best to live up to what YOU believe is right.
To believe in your heart that there is no such thing as God, but try to act as if you do believe is just hypocrisy. To feel in your heart that there is a God and to ignore how you feel God wants you to live is hypocrisy also.
Having said that, no one else (including me) can really tell you what's right for you to believe. That answer comes from within.

My two cents...

jack

meditation is the tool i use to connect body with its source. contemplation is the tool i use to connect mind to its source. for me, in my self-awareness disciplines, there is a duality of sources - one passive (for the body/form) and one active (for the mind/Self).

there are many who are seeking, but there does seem to be a polarization between those who are seeking internally, and those who are drawn into the mundane politics and passions...appetites, etc. i still think you are ahead of the curve of the vast majority.

pseudonymous said:
meditation is the tool i use to connect body with its source. contemplation is the tool i use to connect mind to its source.

An interesting way to put it. I like the dichotomy. I imagine it like a flute-tuba duet, each in its own corner of reality, both making music.

I pity those who can hear only one or the other -- or neither.

Sometimes I just go on gut instinct. Without any other qualification I do so this time. Listen to your Lover.

Wishing you peace.

Gut instinct. Why won't my brain let me trust my heart?

I definitely think too much, that one's for sure.

I post again here with much hesitation for my purpose in life, and on this forum, is neither to convert nor deconvert anybody. But you asked a direct question in response to my last post and so I feel I must answer.

presser_kun said:
Why won't my brain let me trust my heart?

Fear my friend, pure simple old fasioned fear.

I definitely think too much, that one's for sure.

Maybe thinking is what has healed you? Most fundamentalist sects break the legs of an individuals ability to reason and give them the rigid crutches of thier faith on which to hobble through life. For some this psychological damage is permanent and they are unable to climb the mountains of knowledge, traverse the chasms of nuance or gain enough elevation to gaze out in wonder at the vista as a whole. For some the need to do these things is just too great and they struggle round for a while on their crutches, doubting thier ability to take some of the paths before them. They fear that without their crutches they are handicapped when infact the crutches are their only handicap. At that juncture they can do one of two things. Sit down in despair on some promethian rock contemplating and cursing the objects of their limitation. Or alternatively they can cast them away and follow the path where it may take them. The path ahead may not be easy but in all my travels, (and I have visited 32 countries and 1000's of ideas), it has always been worthwhile. I hope you find what works for you.

Peace

i still think you are ahead of the curve of the vast majority.
tis true...but plenty are seeking...but you are on a wonderful path...search within as advised, absorb without, books thought speakers...climb the mountain, talk to the sage (metaphor, within) and keep reporting back!!

namaste,

+ There is a God
+ God is personal

I'd begin by examining the basis for those three assumptions. And I'd get really honest with myself about finding and examinining any residual fear programming that might be lurking around in my subconscious. My background is quite similar to yours, and I know how much of that fear of pissing God off stuff gets stapled to your core during the indoctrination process while you're growing up. You're not me so I won't presuppose anything, I'm just saying that, for myself, when I really looked hard at my motivations I found a lot of fear tentacles wrapped around a lot of different things in my psyche and emotions.

TE had some really excellent advice, better than anything I could come up with. And by all means congratulate yourself for breaking out of the box, not too many people do. But start getting used to the idea that there's no safety in numbers where you're heading. It's an adventure!

Chris

Tao_Equus said:
Fear my friend, pure simple old fasioned fear.

True. And I know this, knew this.

Maybe thinking is what has healed you? Most fundamentalist sects break the legs of an individuals ability to reason and give them the rigid crutches of thier faith on which to hobble through life.

I know this, too -- at least, the part about the broken legs. I take heart from your, to me, quite different take on the business of thinking.

I'm a GTD/David Allen adherent, who likes to say we need a mind like water, neither over- nor underreacting, but just reacting, and then returning to the calm. Perhaps if I simply did that with the interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes scary, but always fascinating thoughts that come my way, I'd be better off.

The path ahead may not be easy but in all my travels, (and I have visited 32 countries and 1000's of ideas), it has always been worthwhile. I hope you find what works for you.

Thank you. Your words help.

press

wil said:
but you are on a wonderful path...search within as advised, absorb without, books thought speakers...climb the mountain, talk to the sage (metaphor, within) and keep reporting back!!

namaste,

Many thanks for the encouragement, wil. I plan to continue searching!

press

China Cat Sunflower said:
I'd begin by examining the basis for those three assumptions. And I'd get really honest with myself about finding and examinining any residual fear programming that might be lurking around in my subconscious. My background is quite similar to yours, and I know how much of that fear of pissing God off stuff gets stapled to your core during the indoctrination process while you're growing up. You're not me so I won't presuppose anything, I'm just saying that, for myself, when I really looked hard at my motivations I found a lot of fear tentacles wrapped around a lot of different things in my psyche and emotions.

Chris, I thank you. I've been aware of the fear, but have tried to tell myself that I've grown up and beyond being afraid of God. Perhaps I'm more afraid of him than ever, and just haven't been willing to admit it. I'll take your suggestion seriously.

Hn. More to think about! *smiles* But that's a good thing, ne?

press

Presser, I have experienced many Christian denominations over my five decades, have come from a largely conservative family and have a very conserative spouse.
I am finding that, with each passing year, I am less certain of things I would have bet my life on years back. The older I get, the "greyer" things seem.

I have some bedrock beliefs.......in a personal God, in that God's nature of love and imagination. But I no longer am willing to be pinned down theologically. I tend to trust my heart over my mind, and my heart is where I experience the faith that sustains me.
My mind leads me only ever deeper into an insolvable labyrinth of human constructs about religious thinking.

presser_kun said:
I have a real-world dilemma:

What is the right thing to believe about God?

+ There is a God
+ God is personal

Here's why I ask:

I grew up as a Christian fundamentalist, left my denomination, began searching for the Truth. Every day I find myself more at sea, less certain about much of anything.

I just want to do the right thing with my life, and I'm finding it hard going to discover just what that is.

I know there are many answers to this, such as:

+ You have to determine this yourself
+ Accept what the Bible says
+ There is no Truth, no Right
+ You have to have faith

I hope that this discussion doesn't descend into name-calling. I'm not interested in "Listen to me, because I'm right; I know the Truth!"

I am interested in how others determine what Right, what Truth is, and whether these are important in daily life or just interesting topics to discuss.

Thanks to all who may find this and reply.

Peace (for which I constantly search),

presser_kun

When lost at sea, hang on to the life ring you have in front of you, until you can climb aboard a vessel of sea worthiness. That my friend is simply common sense. ;)

Nope, I won't tell you which way to go. For how do I know what is right for you? I only know that you have something in front of you for support (you said it yourself), and that it has held you up. Work with that until you find something better. But at least you got something to keep you afloat...that is better than many can say.

v/r

Quahom

Hi presser_kun--

What wonderful responses you have gotten. I hope they have been helpful to you.

What's right? Only God really knows. I believe that God is Love--the highest Love. I put my faith in this Love, both personally and for everyone. I believe that Love will prevail in every situation and in every heart. It may not be obvious today, right now at this moment. But I am able to see it now.

This faith is not blind--neither is Love. It is a mutual understanding:) (even though I don't understand it all completely yet).

InPeace,
InLove

Back