Peace- Season for NonViolence

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There is time to plan for next year... Jan30-Apr4/2006

I'll post more resources later, please post what you find in the way of events or events you will take part in...

64 ways for 64 days coming up...

United Nations Appeal for Non-Violence

The United Nations has recognized the Association of Unity Churches for the impact its youth groups have had working toward world peace. Through a special U.N. event, the youth of the world joined to make their vision for global peace a reality. The International Youth of Unity (Y.O.U.) recently presented the program "A New Generation for Peace" among dignitaries such as Arun Ghandi (Grandson of Mohandas Ghandi), Rev. Jesse Jackson, Gillian Martin Sorensen (U.N. Assistant Secretary General) and numerous others.

Entitled "Ghandi & King: A Season for NonViolence", this United Nations session convened on January 30, 1998 with a mandate to positively affect this community as well as the entire world. For those not familiar with "Ghandi & King: A Season for Nonviolence"...it is the 64-day period declared by the Ghandi Institute for Nonviolence and the Association for Global New Thought, as the "season" which occurs each year between the anniversaries of the assassinations of Mohandas Ghandi on January 30 and Martin Luther King, Jr. on April 4. The International Y.O.U. has compiled for these 64 days, 64 ways to practice nonviolence in everyday life. The visit to the United Nations was a superb start for the Season for Nonviolence global peace program.

Presenting to the United Nations were International Youth of Unity Co-Presidents Nathan Miller from Overland Park, KS; Stacy Moscow from Mesa, AZ; Mariah Landers from Merced, CA; and Andrew Griffin from Cork, Ireland, as well as International Y.O.U. Director, Cherie Larkin from the Association of Unity Churches in Lee's Summit, MO. Their presentation convincingly illustrated the need to consciously reduce violence, abuse and feelings of aggression globally, as well as increase the need for the acceptance and understanding of different cultures, religions, customs and beliefs. Through this season, one is encouraged to truly understand the beauty of diversity and honor the inherent worth in every human being. Cherie Larkin adds, "It is with Christ in heart and mind that these young sentinels of peace carry the mantel of Unity's message of nonviolence throughout the world."

Neat post- if you have the links for nonviolence in everyday action, I'd love to have them. It'd be great to pass on to my students during that time.

As a modern druid, I do peace ceremonies once a month on the full moon. Essentially, it involves prayer and meditation and sending peace out to the earth. I think it goes along with some ideas in New Thought- that you change the world first through your own thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

For me, it helps in everyday action to remember my belief that all living beings have within them the light of God, and my actions "toward the least of these" is as to Christ.

http://www.seasonfornonviolence-cs.org/pages/P606-6.html

http://agnt.org/

A Season for Nonviolence - 64 Ways in 64 Days
Daily Commitments to Live By

These principles for nonviolence were adapted by the Denver Area Task
Force for: A Season for Nonviolence - January 30-April 4, 1998

Inspired by the 50th & 30th memorial anniversaries of Mahatma Gandhi
and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 -- Today, I will reflect on what peace means to me.
2 -- Today, I will look at opportunities to be a peacemaker.
3 -- Today, I will practice nonviolence and respect for Mother Earth by making good use of her resources.
4 -- Today, I will take time to admire and appreciate nature.
5 -- Today, I will plant seeds--plants or constructive ideas.
6 -- Today, I will hold a vision of plenty for all the world's hungry and be open to guidance as to how I can help alleviate some of that hunger.
7 -- Today, I will acknowledge every human being's fundamental right to justice, equity, and equality.
8 -- Today, I will appreciate the earth's bounty and all of those who work to make my food available (i.e., grower, trucker, grocery clerk, cook, waitress, etc.)
9 -- Today, I will work to understand and respect another culture.
10 -- Today, I will oppose injustice, not people.
11 -- Today, I will look beyond stereotypes and prejudices.
12 -- Today, I will choose to be aware of what I talk about and I will refuse to gossip.
13 -- Today, I will live in the present moment and release the past.
14 -- Today, I will silently acknowledge all the leaders throughout the world.
15 -- Today, I will speak with kindness, respect, and patience to every person that I talk with on the telephone.
16 -- Today, I will affirm my value and worth with positive "self talk" and refuse to put myself down.
17 -- Today, I will tell the truth and speak honestly from the heart.
18 -- Today, I will cause a ripple effect of good by an act of kindness toward another.
19 -- Today, I will choose to use my talents to serve others by volunteering a portion of my time.
20 -- Today, I will say a blessing for greater understanding whenever I see evidence of crime, vandalism, or graffiti.
21 -- Today, I will say "No" to ideas or actions that violate me or others.
22 -- Today, I will turn off anything that portrays or supports violence whether on television, in the movies, or on the Internet.
23 -- Today, I will greet this day--everyone and everything--with openness and acceptance as if I were encountering them for the first time.
24 -- Today, I will drive with tolerance and patience.
25 -- Today, I will constructively channel my anger, frustration, or jealousy into healthy physical activities (i.e., doing sit-ups, picking up trash, taking a walk, etc).
26 -- Today, I will take time to appreciate the people who provide me with challenges in my life, especially those who make me angry or frustrated.
27 -- Today, I will talk less and listen more.
28 -- Today, I will notice the peacefulness in the world around me.
29 -- Today, I will recognize that my actions directly affect others.
30 -- Today, I will take time to tell a family member or friend how much they mean to me.
31 -- Today, I will acknowledge and thank someone for acting kindly.
32 -- Today, I will send a kind, anonymous message to someone.
33 -- Today, I will identify something special in everyone I meet.
34 -- Today, I will discuss ideas about nonviolence with a friend to gain new perspectives.
35 -- Today, I will practice praise rather than criticism.
36 -- Today, I will strive to learn from my mistakes.
37 -- Today, I will tell at least one person they are special and important.
38 -- Today, I will hold children tenderly in thought and/or action.
39 -- Today, I will listen without defending and speak without judgment.
40 -- Today, I will help someone in trouble.
41 -- Today, I will listen with an open heart to at least one person.
42 -- Today, I will treat the elderly I encounter with respect and dignity.
43 -- Today, I will treat the children I encounter with respect and care, knowing that I serve as a model to them.
44 -- Today, I will see my co-workers in a new light--with understanding and compassion.
45 -- Today, I will be open to other ways of thinking and acting that are different from my own.
46 -- Today, I will think of at least three alternate ways I can handle a situation when confronted with conflict.
47 -- Today, I will work to help others resolve differences.
48 -- Today, I will express my feeling honestly and nonviolently with respect for myself and others.
49 -- Today, I will sit down with my family for one meal.
50 -- Today, I will set an example of a peacemaker by promoting nonviolent responses.
51 -- Today, I will use no violent language.
52 -- Today, I will pause for reflection.
53 -- Today, I will hold no one hostage to the past, seeing each-as I see myself-as a work in process.
54 -- Today, I will make a conscious effort to smile at someone whom I have held a grudge against in the past.
55 -- Today, I will practice compassion and forgiveness by apologizing to someone whom I have hurt in the past.
56 -- Today, I will reflect on whom I need to forgive and take at least one step in that direction.
57 -- Today, I will forgive myself.
58 -- Today, I will embrace the spiritual belief of my heart in my own personal and reflective way.
59 -- Today, I will enlarge my capacity to embrace differences and appreciate the value of every human being.
60 -- Today, I will be compassionate in my thoughts, words, and actions.
61 -- Today, I will cultivate my moral strength and courage through education and creative nonviolent action.
62 -- Today, I will practice compassion and forgiveness for myself and others.
63 -- Today, I will use my talents to serve others as well as myself.
64 -- Today, I will serve humanity by dedicating myself to a vision greater than myself.

[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]The Season for NonViolence starts today, with the anniversary of Gandhi's death...take a moment

Day 1, Jan 30: Today, I contemplate Mahatma Gandhi’s statement: [/font]
[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif] “Be the Change You Wish to See in the World.”

Check out the curriculum for daily meditations, or the entire Season For Nonviolence site to see what you'd like to do.
[/font]

Twas a year ago....time to start anew.

Namaste all, tis the season! What do you want to do this year to support it?

My goals:

-Letters to to cities and two counties, and my state to encourage them to recognize it and support it.

-Elementary school curriculum delivered to more than 100 elemenatary school teachers.

-Curriculum delivered to schools Jr and Sr. High Schools by my sunday students.

-Provide further awarness at church and for the local YMCA, and my community.

Someone last year indicated it should be all year, but like path indicates with her monthly ceremonies having a time dedicated, dedicates a time to it.

So if you celebrate, accentuate and focus on peace and nonviolence daily, bless you.

But for the restuvus, find a system, monthly with the moon, or in this season, or someway...

peace and blessings.

tis the season to begin planting seeds for the next season

I'm a bumping, we made inroads last year, to a few more teachers in a few more schools, this year I wish to expand the program where it is started and plant some seeds where it isn't.

I was talking Saturday evening with some friends. My kids were spending a couple hours downtown ringing the bells for the salvation army donation can. We contemplated, when we grew up in school in the 60's integration and bussing were the issue, the US was undergoing a civil rights movement, racial violence and separation were stirring. In the past 50 years great strides have been made, my kids grow up being completely unaware of the amount of prejudice in the past. (they see some, and hear some, and we talk about it, but they really can't fathom it). Today if we can make the same start on inroads with religious understandings....what a world we could bring.

If we work with children a few generations later and the change happens.

Who can you contact to get the season started in a local school?

peace on earth and goodwill to all.

tis the season.

Wil - all I can say is ........

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Big hugs

I shall post my list when I have more time to really think about it.

Can't believe I've been remiss for three years and not bumped this for everyone.

Nor that I've gone through five days of wonderful contemplation without sharing.

Check out this evolving Season for Nonviolence Mandala. We started on the outside ring at 9 oclock (directly left for those of you that have forgot or never knew analog). So start with courage and go clockwise... enjoy.

Living Peace Mandala

http://www.seasonfornonviolence-cs.org/pages/P606-6.html

Association for Global New Thought

These principles for nonviolence were adapted by the Denver Area Task
Force for: A Season for Nonviolence - January 30-April 4, 1998

Inspired by the 50th & 30th memorial anniversaries of Mahatma Gandhi
and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

3 -- Today, I will practice nonviolence and respect for Mother Earth by making good use of her resources.
6 -- Today, I will hold a vision of plenty for all the world's hungry and be open to guidance as to how I can help alleviate some of that hunger.
7 -- Today, I will acknowledge every human being's fundamental right to justice, equity, and equality.
8 -- Today, I will appreciate the earth's bounty and all of those who work to make my food available (i.e., grower, trucker, grocery clerk, cook, waitress, etc.)
12 -- Today, I will choose to be aware of what I talk about and I will refuse to gossip.
15 -- Today, I will speak with kindness, respect, and patience to every person that I talk with on the telephone.
16 -- Today, I will affirm my value and worth with positive "self talk" and refuse to put myself down.
18 -- Today, I will cause a ripple effect of good by an act of kindness toward another.
19 -- Today, I will choose to use my talents to serve others by volunteering a portion of my time.
20 -- Today, I will say a blessing for greater understanding whenever I see evidence of crime, vandalism, or graffiti.
22 -- Today, I will turn off anything that portrays or supports violence whether on television, in the movies, or on the Internet.
23 -- Today, I will greet this day--everyone and everything--with openness and acceptance as if I were encountering them for the first time.
25 -- Today, I will constructively channel my anger, frustration, or jealousy into healthy physical activities (i.e., doing sit-ups, picking up trash, taking a walk, etc).
26 -- Today, I will take time to appreciate the people who provide me with challenges in my life, especially those who make me angry or frustrated.
30 -- Today, I will take time to tell a family member or friend how much they mean to me.
34 -- Today, I will discuss ideas about nonviolence with a friend to gain new perspectives.
43 -- Today, I will treat the children I encounter with respect and care, knowing that I serve as a model to them.
44 -- Today, I will see my co-workers in a new light--with understanding and compassion.
45 -- Today, I will be open to other ways of thinking and acting that are different from my own.
46 -- Today, I will think of at least three alternate ways I can handle a situation when confronted with conflict.
48 -- Today, I will express my feeling honestly and nonviolently with respect for myself and others.
50 -- Today, I will set an example of a peacemaker by promoting nonviolent responses.
53 -- Today, I will hold no one hostage to the past, seeing each-as I see myself-as a work in process.
54 -- Today, I will make a conscious effort to smile at someone whom I have held a grudge against in the past.
55 -- Today, I will practice compassion and forgiveness by apologizing to someone whom I have hurt in the past.
56 -- Today, I will reflect on whom I need to forgive and take at least one step in that direction.
58 -- Today, I will embrace the spiritual belief of my heart in my own personal and reflective way.
59 -- Today, I will enlarge my capacity to embrace differences and appreciate the value of every human being.
61 -- Today, I will cultivate my moral strength and courage through education and creative nonviolent action.
64 -- Today, I will serve humanity by dedicating myself to a vision greater than myself.

LMFAO... Today, I will go sit in a small dark closet, shut my eyes and wait for tomorrow.

And 44... That clearly ain't gonna happen.. Nuh uh... Not on my watch.

15... lol I just read that while on the phone... Yeah I failed this one. :/

Do you seriously do this? All of these? Really?

55 contradicts 53? Why should I appologise for something in the past? As you say... We're works in progress let it go ;) I'll probally wrong you again... But Meh... Let it go.

Namaste Path, yes groovy it is. Me thinks it might be time for me to start ACIM agin...

I have a dream, be the change you wish to see in the world young brother.
LMFAO... Today, I will go sit in a small dark closet, shut my eyes and wait for tomorrow.
A great plan and that would do anyone well. Please tell us how it goes.
17 said:
And 44... That clearly ain't gonna happen.. Nuh uh... Not on my watch..
You cannot change your coworkers, all you can change is your perception of them, should you attempt to do this even on a minor scale...you will see a change in your world.
17 said:
15... lol I just read that while on the phone... Yeah I failed this one. :/.
Do you see the time frame on this thread? This is an annual practice for growth and one can get better and better at it each year. There is no failure without trying. And there is no failure until one quits trying. The first step in this process is awareness. You put the affirmation on a sticky on your computer screen and maybe a rubber band around your wrist...as you are on the phone, you either smile because you are making a valid attempt at the days challenge or you see the note, you become aware of how you've slipped into an old pattern, snap the rubber band and then change the tenor of your voice, you change your attitude...and smile for the reminder
17 said:
Do you seriously do this? All of these? Really?.
I seriously try, for years, and don't always do so well, but it is the journey after all.
17 said:
55 contradicts 53? Why should I appologise for something in the past? As you say... We're works in progress let it go ;) I'll probally wrong you again... But Meh... Let it go.
They are different, one ask you to entertain apologize for your being interupting and interefering with their being, the other allows you to forgive others.

It isn't something to be taken in all at once....Take it a day at a time, a challenge at a time. You don't eat an elephant in one bite, every journey starts with a single step.

And yes we are works in progress, but isn't the key word progress. Do we wish to be works in digress, or sitting stagnant thru this wonderful incarnation in 3D?

It seems too much :/ And to a degree... Is it pointless? Because I think we can all admit... You ain't ever going to be able to sit down look at this giant list and be able to say "Yup.... Done it." So is it really worthwhile? Or is it like good for us to have an impossible goal? Just a question. ;/

Answers on a postcard please.

So I should snap my wrist with a band lol because my nature is to be what I am and act how I act to people? I dunno... It just seems messed up... I can smile and be helpful to these customers... Or I can attempt to get off the phone and beat my record time every time... Being blunt, honest and not really caring.... End of the day what has really changed that is a benefit, for -me-?

If I am blunt... They stop asking questions.
If I am evasive, they get off the phone and stop bugging me swifter.

If I am nice? I have to endure them longer.......

--EDIT--

Meh, just come back to work from a week off so I have a ****ty attitude lol.... Sorry.

Post card.

If you believe it will work it might.

If you believe it will not it probably won't.

In the practice from the year you qouted... Today I will oppose injustice not people.

I will not oppose your contrary nature of the day my brother....but the injustice that it isn't your nature I will. We all know the compassion that 17th can bring, and the contrarinousness...we've seen your various incarnations over the years...but click on the mandala....look at the affirmation for today....faith...Today say YES to every obstacle you meet. Write down three things that you have a challenge with and with each one say "YES I can overcome this obstacle and be successful:"

Maybe today was the appropriate day to have a challenge with this potential season of growth.

Again....one day at a time.

Today I will oppose injustice not people.
Is it not people who impose injustices? I never met a free floating injustice yet.

There are always people who wish to impose rules and can use every trick of language to make it seem noble. And there are always those who have to suffer the consequences of one individual or groups sense of justice as an injustice. Sometimes there is no option but violence. Because it works. And will continue to work. I embrace violence, not reject it. The words you posted are the bricks in the walls of the ivory towers of the hypocrites and cowards. There can never be justice for everyone, you have to take your own. Of course it is best if you can do that at the time and place of your choosing.

Is it not people who impose injustices? I never met a free floating injustice yet.

There are always people who wish to impose rules and can use every trick of language to make it seem noble. And there are always those who have to suffer the consequences of one individual or groups sense of justice as an injustice. Sometimes there is no option but violence. Because it works. And will continue to work. I embrace violence, not reject it. The words you posted are the bricks in the walls of the ivory towers of the hypocrites and cowards. There can never be justice for everyone, you have to take your own. Of course it is best if you can do that at the time and place of your choosing.

[youtube]GrCDdm2yjXY[/youtube]

namaste nitelite,

Nice moniker.... I see it as representative as someone offering assistance to those in the dark, shining where there is none, yet the words seem contrary.

Never been exposed to the phrase 'hate the sin, love the sinner'?

This is about a taking part in experiencing a vision different from the one that you have today. No ivory tower. We are asking you to join us in changing the world one mind at a time starting with our own.

Should you not wish to partake, that is your choice, and we'll love you anyway.

Changing the world starts at home.

Don't know how I missed this for so long, wil.
This is an amazing and marvelous map for personal commitment!
This kind of change is meaningful change.
And it breaks down the line between the secular and the religious.

It says to "religious" people: "put your money where your mouth is."
And to the non-religious: "we're all human here - let's cut each other some slack."

And it is modern.
I does not appeal to some hazy past, nor hazier future.
Centered in the here-and-now. The right-now.

And (while I will note, below, some reservations I harbor)
I respect and honor the serious business this invokes:
Beliefs put into practice ...
One day at a time, person to person:

Making the world a better place.

wil, this is excellent. I'm reminded of the precepts, training-rules for mindful living - positive suggestions to guide us rather than threats of punishment for mis-behaviour.

s.

Nonviolence sounds good to (virtually) everyone.
But it is one of the slipperiest concepts on this planet.

& & &

Studying history, wil, I find Martin Luther King's and Gandhi's form of nonviolent protest to be remarkably effective in shaming a decent society into living up to its stated values. To overcome its own hypocrisy.

But cultural values are often so deeply entrenched and interwoven with inherent injustice, that otherwise "decent" societies blind themselves to deep-level injustice.

Wil, I look and look at the American Civil War. And I cannot come up with a scenario where slavery in America could have ended without blood. And a lot of it.

So I think Nitelite has a valid point.

I would rather live with honoring the dead on all sides of that horrific conflict than to have had to rationalize the continued existence of slavery, for additional decade after decade in America after the 1860s - singing the idealistic homily that the South will eventually "come around."

& & &

I have two nonviolent-anarchist friends from high school, who contacted me after the 911 World Trade Center attack. They argued that America should not retaliate, militarily. They wanted to form a large group of individuals who would 'turn the other cheek' - offer themselves as the next target for the terrorists:
Here, kill us. We will fly to Afghanistan, if necessary. To make it easier for you.

My friends actually believed their 'sacrificial lamb' act could 'shame' Al-Qaeda into seeing the error of its ways and to give up on violence. Most terrorists have an emotional screw loose and have a very twisted (but not entirely unwarranted) perception of injustice. Psychically, these individuals are damaged goods. One thing they do NOT have (beyond the confines of their narrow world) is a 'sense of shame.' They are 'true believers.'

They live in a reformulated tribe: they hate all outsiders.
They refuse to acknowledge the validity of the 'modern' world - and its values.
All they see is oppression, and loss.
(It is the mirror of - and 'explanation' for - their own hollowness inside.)

But also, like the South in the American Civil War, terrorists see themselves as fighting for a 'way of life' - which some great demon-power is trying to destroy.
(They are an actor in a great cosmic melodrama.)

Both the terrorists and my nonviolent-anarchist friends are living in a dreamworld.

& & &

But today's world is full of injustice, Nitelite, real and imagined.
Which "injustices" are genuinely worth the expenditure of blood, to overturn?
(And ... not perpetrate deeper injustices, as a result?)

& & &

"Hate the sin, love the sinner."
I hear this phrase, wil, and it makes me think of "Christians" trying to deprogram gays of their homosexuality. This "good" end justifies questionable means, in their eyes.
(The violence here is not physical but psychological.)

Like 'injustice' ... 'sin' is a very subjective term.
(An idealistic abstraction.)
And it would take an incredibly lengthy introspection for terrorist or deprogrammer to realize that the evil they find in the world - in "injustice" or in "sin" - is merely a projection of the evil which is inside their own soul. Their soul is not modern enough to begin to introspect, this deeply. They have no clear picture of the reality of others. What they think they perceive there in others, they instantly hate and denounce, and act to radically overturn. And they feel no shame, doing so.
'To kill the sin, you might have to physically or psychologically destroy the sinner.'
(Fine logic.)

& & &

The appeal of your 64 daylessons, wil - it seems to me - likely will appeal only to those individuals who enjoy living in the modern world. Who have the ability to introspect. And who do have a sense of shame.

Back